WhiteGhost Kind Of Putters Along

WhiteGhost

I am still too jetlagged to make this challenge all full of GIFs, so y'all are stuck with a wall o' text chellenge

I had grand plans for this challenge, but having been on holiday for 2 weeks, and another week of work travel on top of that has pretty much taken the wind out of my sails.  I will be doing a lot of the same stuff I have always been doing, but I am having doubts that this is going to be the challenge where I finally get a muscle up.    

Pullups

That said, I am still going to work towards that, and as usual my primary goal is going to be all about pulling myself up.  I don't seem to have any bootstraps, though, so I am going to have to work with what I have, which means a pullup bar.  I need to get myself back into the swing of things, so that means volume.  I want to be doing at least 20 regular pullups a day and 5 weighted.  On top of this I want to do 2 pull focused workouts, which will include pullups and muscleup progressions, as well as levers and anything else I feel like throwing in there.  I can't ignore the rest of my body either, so I will need to also do at 1 leg day each week, and throw in some core stuff too.

Stretching

I have always struggled with this and I don't have any plans or aspirations that I am going to make any progress here.  I just need to make sure I am stretching every evening because I have lost the habit and I need it back

Running

I don't really enjoy running, but being able to do it is a core athletic competency and it helps me to do other fun things (parkour, OCRs, etc.) so it is on the docket.    Speaking of OCRs, I have a Spartan Beast coming up at the end of this month, so this will also help me with that.  At least one 5K or longer run each week.

Cooking

This is probably something that doesn't need to be part of the challenge because I will be doing it anyway, but I want to make sure I am continuing to up my cooking game.  The way to do this is to keep trying new things, so my goal is to every week make a new dish that I have never made before.  

Other Stuff

I had a talk with my boss this morning and was informed that my position in the company is most likely going to be eliminated.  I need to figure out what I want to do career-wise (stay in the same career or go find something else to do).  Once I have a better idea of what I want to do I need to start making some concrete plans for how to get there.

Also, I still want to do all of the other fun things I have been working on this year, such as flipping, tricking and hand balancing, but I will just have to work that in as I can.

• Like 10
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Following! 

The career changes sound like a great opportunity for you, this is a very exciting prospect. Do you have any ideas?

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Glad to see you around again! Travelling around is cool but it can be such a pain to keep up with a training plan, especially when you need specific things like a pull-up bar or a muscle-up bar with enough height over it and all this. Not to mention TIME....

Sounds like some big changes are coming, work-wise. I find those periods both scary and exciting.

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

1 hour ago, deftona said:

Following! 

The career changes sound like a great opportunity for you, this is a very exciting prospect. Do you have any ideas?

I really have no idea at this point.  I will most likely look for something still in financial services because that is where my experience lies and having money to maintain our current lifestyle is always cool.  I have really severe impostor syndrome which tells me I am not really very good at it, so I may just give up on it and do something completely different.  Not sure what, though. 

I could set up my own English teaching practice and do that full time.  The demand is there and I would certainly have much more flexibility in terms of my schedule.  In theory I could earn pretty close to what I currently make, but I am not sure if I want to teach kids all day.  I have friends who do that and they sure complain about it a lot.  I could go back into translation, but there isn't much money in that, especially here.  I will need to spend some time doing research and talking with Mi Vieja.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Welcome back to normalcy. :) 

Or at least as close to normalcy as things get around here :) 

1 hour ago, @mu said:

Glad to see you around again! Travelling around is cool but it can be such a pain to keep up with a training plan, especially when you need specific things like a pull-up bar or a muscle-up bar with enough height over it and all this. Not to mention TIME....

Sounds like some big changes are coming, work-wise. I find those periods both scary and exciting.

I was really getting antsy to get back to my pullup bar.  There was some scaffolding next to the last hotel I was staying in and I was really tempted to do some pullups on them every time I walked past, but they didn't look that stable, and I don't think the workers there would have appreciated me pulling their scaffolding down.

• Like 5

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Puttering in the right direction is still going in the right direction!

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

20 hours ago, annyshay said:

Here for a classic challenge! Good luck with the job musings.

Thanks, I'm interested to find out where those musings lead

19 hours ago, raptron said:

Puttering in the right direction is still going in the right direction!

Yep, better than standing still or rolling backwards. I'll take it :)

Well, I got home Wednesday night after being on the road for about 3 weeks, but was back on the road Thursday night after being home for less than 24 hours.  I will be in Inner Mongolia until Sunday night, and while it is really beautiful here, living out of a suitcase is really starting to get to me.  

I got in a run and few pullups while I was home, but for the next few days my exercise is going to be quite limited.

• Like 3

Level 2 Ninja

On 8/9/2018 at 9:22 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I have a Spartan Beast coming up at the end of this month

Almost there!

Nice that you have some options regarding job areas. What would you like to do most?

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

6 hours ago, zenLara said:

Nice that you have some options regarding job areas. What would you like to do most?

My preference wold be an in-house M&A job in a Chinese subsidiary of a Global MNC, but that role doesn't really exist.  Usually M&A and other corporate development functions are done from the head office, so working for a multinational would mean relocating to that country, and that isn't an option for me given Mi Vieja's work is here.

I will start putting out feelers next week to see what kinds if things may be available and then go from there.

I was able to get some reasonable sleep last night and I am hoping to be pretty much over the jetlag by the end of the weekend.  I have been self medicating with caffeinated drinks for the last couple of days to keep myself from falling asleep in the early evening which has been working. Unfortunately it hasn't kept me from waking up so sleep has not been happening.  Have I mentioned that I dislike jetlag? Because I really do.

• Like 5

Level 2 Ninja

19 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I got in a run and few pullups while I was home, but for the next few days my exercise is going to be quite limited.

You know what doesn't require a bar or anything else for that matter? Squats! They also happen to be something our Quidditch team desperately needs more of lol. 

That sounds like a lot of pondering for a new career direction, but also a great opportunity! 

Also here's a couple gifs so your challenge doesn't end up looking as much like mine usually do lol :

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 3

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

On 8/11/2018 at 12:48 PM, Teancum said:

You know what doesn't require a bar or anything else for that matter? Squats! They also happen to be something our Quidditch team desperately needs more of lol. 

Yeah, squats are good but we are limited to AMRAP <20 so bodyweight squats are out. 

Thanks for the GIFs

20 hours ago, Terah said:

Hi :)

Hi back :D glad to have you here.

Had a pretty full last cople of days but being on the road makes it hard to do full updates.  Once I am back home tomorrow I will start doing complete updates

• Like 4

Level 2 Ninja

How was the holiday? I read in the Doodlie thread that you said that you didn’t see any bison in Yellowstone and I may know why. Here is a video from about the same time you were there. The bison probably got tired of stupid tourist and wander as far away as possible.

Glad you’re home safe. And sorry about the job. I don’t know if you mentioned it before but what does your wife do there since you mentioned that you couldn’t move because of her job?

• Like 1

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

17 hours ago, Bearlee said:

I read in the Doodlie thread that you said that you didn’t see any bison in Yellowstone and I may know why. Here is a video from about the same time you were there. The bison probably got tired of stupid tourist and wander as far away as possible.

Haha, funny you should mention that.  You can't see me in the video, but our car was 2 cars back from the black truck you can see in the video.  We were waiting while the bison was walking ahead of us, and apparently shoeless wonder there decided he was going to help traffic along.  As he passed each car on the way towards the bison, he would give each driver a power salute (arm extended, fist closed) and a nod as if to say "don't worry, everything is going to be ok".  Which it kind of was until he showed up :D  Anyway, he gets up to the front and you can see what happened in the video.  After the bison wandered off the road, he stood there on the side of the road and waved traffic forward as if he was some kind of traffic cop.  He apparently thought he did us all a favor...  Grade A nutbar, that one.

I probably should have clarified in the other thread that I did, in fact, see bison in Yellowstone.  I just happened to see more in downtown San Francisco...

17 hours ago, Bearlee said:

I don’t know if you mentioned it before but what does your wife do there since you mentioned that you couldn’t move because of her job?

She and a couple of friends started up their own business about 8 years ago and it has been pretty successful.  They are now the biggest independent company in China in that industry niche and it is not something she can just walk away from.  She is pretty much there until the company gets bought, which is not really likely in the short term.   Although we can survive on her salary alone, we enjoy our current lifestyle which is only possible with both of our salaries.  If, by some stroke of luck someone were to buy her company, though, we could retire and not have to worry about it anymore.  

Well folks, I am in a bit of a funk right now.  Yesterday my boss clarified that what he meant the other day was that my role has already been eliminated and that I have 30 days to get my affairs in order.  I would like to continue doing what I currently do, but I have a very specific job (China outbound corporate acquisition) that, although is valuable and in demand, is currently something that is currently subject to strict government controls so even though companies have this need, they do not have any need for it right now because government regulation has shut this particular business practice down for the nonce.  Frustrating, to say the least :( 

I have been in no mood to work out given the current situation, and my motivation levels pretty close to non-existent.  However, I was remembering some @Tanktimus the Encourager battle speeches of yore and remembered that I don't work out because I am motivated to work out - I work out because I am someone who works out.  With that in mind I spent some time this morning doing an old workout from a previous challenge (MUPS and SLOG, if anyone remembers those) and I was glad I did.  

• Like 9

Level 2 Ninja

Urgh, I'm really sorry about this. How did your boss manage to fluff this really important message so bad? It's good you can afford to live just on your wife's salary because that will give you more time to find something you want to do rather than taking the next thing available, right? Fingers crossed something comes up soon but great job for getting stuck in and getting the workout done anyway. 

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

4 hours ago, deftona said:

Urgh, I'm really sorry about this. How did your boss manage to fluff this really important message so bad? It's good you can afford to live just on your wife's salary because that will give you more time to find something you want to do rather than taking the next thing available, right? Fingers crossed something comes up soon but great job for getting stuck in and getting the workout done anyway. 

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

That’s shitty dude :( I hope you find something interesting soon!

But awesome for keeping up with the workouts! I find they’re even more important to stick to when in a funk, even if it feels 10x harder.

Thanks guys.  I also hope I can find something soon, but I am glad I don't have to rush into something.  

The workout was good and I'm glad I did it, but it felt way more than 10x harder than usual to start it (not the actual workout itself).  

Level 2 Ninja

1 hour ago, annyshay said:

That sucks about your job. Booooo boss. Sending good job search mojo.

Thanks.  I should probably say that this isn't really my boss' fault.  He has been a good guy to work for and in this case he was just the messenger.  He fought for this position to be created in the first place but the reality is that the government policies right now make this business extremely difficult, and he was no longer able to justify keeping me.

• Like 2

Level 2 Ninja

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I have been in no mood to work out given the current situation, and my motivation levels pretty close to non-existent.  However, I was remembering some @Tanktimus the Encourager battle speeches of yore and remembered that I don't work out because I am motivated to work out - I work out because I am someone who works out.  With that in mind I spent some time this morning doing an old workout from a previous challenge (MUPS and SLOG, if anyone remembers those) and I was glad I did.  

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

The workout was good and I'm glad I did it, but it felt way more than 10x harder than usual to start it (not the actual workout itself).  

Sorry to hear about the employment issues.  I like to think these sorts of things happen for a reason and there is something else you are meant to do.  That doesn't mean it's not a stressful and difficult time to go through.   Great job getting that workout done.  It's these ones you have to fight for that matter the most. 

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

After the bison wandered off the road, he stood there on the side of the road and waved traffic forward as if he was some kind of traffic cop.  He apparently thought he did us all a favor...  Grade A nutbar, that one.

:hopelessness: Close to a Darwin Award...

Is your current field time sensitive? I mean does it evolve so quickly that being out of it for a few years means it would be difficult to get back into it?

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

That stinks about your job. Good on you for working out anyway. Like you, usually getting started is the hardest part of my workouts as well.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Dang brother. Well, all you can do is look forward at this point and do what you can. Stress is something that will rear it's ugly head, but don't let it. You serve the Most High God and He will provide you an opportunity/open door at some point...or, like you said, your wifes company gets bought and you can both retire comfortably. Praying for you dude and I know you'll still rock it no matter what happens. 

You da man, WG!!

Wolf

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

I’m sorry Mr. Ghost. I hope your job search is a short one.

Several years ago we were camping in a quiet park in the Dakotas. Mrs. Sloth forgot her flashlight and when we went to the bathroom she wasn’t patient enough to wait for me even though it was pitch black out.

On the way back to the camper she bumped into the side of a buffalo. It rightly scared the Hell out of her, but it just ignored her.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log