Wobbegong, focus!

Wobbegong

Habit Poll  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What's the most difficult thing for you when it comes to changing a habit?

• Lack of discipline (the "it's ok if I skip it just this once" snowball effect)
    • Drop in motivation / Changing priorities (I just don't care that much anymore... / Why am I doing this again? / It's harder than I thought...)
    • Forgetfulness (Ack! I was supposed to do that thing at that time and I completely forgot! I... guess I'll try again tomorrow?)
    • Overambition (the "if I'm going to change, I want to change everything at once" conundrum)
    • Willpower scarcity (the "I'm really good at hiding from the issue but don't handle confrontation well" dilemma, aka "I don't buy snacks but cake in the employee lounge is a problem")
    • Anxiety / Overthinking (too much time planning, unreasonable mission parameters, talking yourself out of it before you begin, can't start if the date isn't perfect but forget on that date, etc)
    • Other (please explain in the comments if you feel comfortable)

Hi! Hello! How's it going?! I haven't been around much lately but here I am, back and ready to kick back...side. Not kick back. That's relaxing. Hard work, Wobbe. Focus. 

It's been a while since I did a challenge, and even longer since I did a serious one with real goals, but I'm kind of in the perfect place to start one right now so let's go for it! I will conveniently overlook the fact that my life will not be quite so NF accommodating later in the challenge for now. 

Here's a not-so-quick overview of my life as it currently relates to my health goals for those who are interested. 

Spoiler

Five months ago I was invited to take my dream job, so I quit the failing company I was with and in April moved to Japan. Before that, my failing company had allowed me to be basically a full-time cheerleader for the Rebel Guild. After the move, I kind of dropped off the face of NF, using my first challenge after the move as a sort of open diary and then checking in only sporadically after that. I've been a bad GL. Sorry. 

I am overweight and usually my eating problems err toward eating too much, but recently I've gotten more in touch with my hunger signals, which has enabled me to comfortably skip meals fairly regularly. I mostly tend to skip dinner, with a smallish snack after work somewhere between 4:30 and 5:30. With that, I usually don't get hungry again until 9pm, at which point I'm usually getting ready for bed and can ignore it. My coworkers have been telling me I look like I'm losing weight, but they're Japanese (code for too polite to be trustworthy). I don't own a scale so I have to go by how my clothes fit, which is, unsurprisingly given how recent these changes are, not much at all! But I feel better and feel good about eating this way so I'll let it play out and see where it goes. 

Japan is having a terrible heat wave right now, and that coupled with the sudden shift in climate -- from California pleasant to (Northern Hemisphere) east coast summer humidity -- is making outdoor exercise pretty unpalatable. There is not a gym near me either (I'm here in Pallet Town, no gyms!) so I basically haven't been doing anything except walking to and from work. Obviously when school is in session I pace around the classroom, but right now it's summer vacation, so I'm just hanging out in city hall with the Board of Education. Japanese professional culture makes daytime exercise pretty tough. 

I also have been cycling through some mental health issues, mostly re: depression and anxiety, also a little bit of family drama, which all together makes self care kind of an after thought for me a lot of the time. There are some things about being here (away from my family) that help a lot with that, and some things about being here (away from my friends) that make it worse. There are also a few self-care things I've identified for myself that can make a tremendous difference in how I feel about life, but knowing them is not the same as consistently doing them. 

I'm a work in progress, but I am still working. Please cheer for me. 

On to the good stuff! CHALLENGE CRITERIA:

Nutrition - Meal Planning 

That means figure out what meals I'm going to be responsible for in the upcoming week and plan out what to eat. Leave room for inevitable gift vegetables. This also ties into budget, because I basically only spend money on food and I currently spend too much on vegetables I forget to eat and take-out when I don't want to cook. So. Meal planning. 

• Plan weekly meals IN WRITING 1x/week
  • Source ingredients 1-2x/week

Exercise - Flexibility and Strength

• Morning wrist strengthening and apartment crawl 5x/week
  • Evening bodyweight OR walk AND stretch 5x/week

Lifestyle - Reduce Waste Time

"Waste time" is time that is spent doing things that don't help me. Sleep is not waste time. Unwinding after work in front of the TV is not waste time (but watching an extra episode on Netflix because "eh, I guess it started already, so I might as well" is). Scrolling through Facebook in the morning when there are no new stories because everyone I know is asleep and I really need to be getting ready for my day is waste time. Stop doing that. Lately when I feel like I have "nothing to do" usually the issue is just that I don't remember all of the amazing things I could be doing, and I end up wasting my time. So! 

• No Internet before work (5x/week)
  • Make a list of Things You Can Do in Your Free Time and post it somewhere visible (1x/challenge, update as needed)
  • Like 9

I want to do some kind of points system but I have no idea for rewards. So I guess I'll just do points for the sake of points and see how it goes? Week 1 has an extra available point for The Don't Waste Time List has fewer points because of a vicious insect encounter. The Don't Waste Time List point will float to the next week if I don't get the point. 

Not quite sure how to handle grocery visit points... ideally, I'd prefer not to go to the grocery store more than twice a week, but in reality I often go three or four times. The issue is not that it takes so much time or that it's particularly tiring to go, but that I end up spending money on food I don't need when my fridge is already stocked, and wasting both food and money as a result. It's a terrible habit born largely out of the convenience of the grocery store strip mall. So basically, I'd like to give points to myself for up to two visits, and... take points away for unnecessary visits beyond the first two? That sounds confusing, I wouldn't know looking back if I didn't go to the grocery or if I went too much. Hmm. 

Week 1: 14/16

Nutrition: 3/3

Exercise: 7/8

Lifestyle: 5/5

• I felt like I did nothing this week so seeing this all laid out is really invigorating. I did miss quite a few morning wrist and crawl opportunities, but because of walking I had nearly full marks on bodyweight/walk and stretch. I've been feeling bad about myself for not doing the bodyweight, but why not just feel good about doing something at all, even though it's not what I originally set out to do? 

• I also did end up going to the grocery store again even though it was Obon. The traffic was horrifying, so glad I don't drive. But I desperately needed a tomato and a lime on Saturday so I sucked it up. (I needed pico de gallo to cover my sadly over-dry carnitas. I underestimated what slow cook would do to pre-sliced pork shoulder. Next time I will know better.) 

Week 2: 0/19

Nutrition: 0/3

Exercise: 0/10

Lifestyle: 0/6

Week 3: 0/18

Lifestyle: 0/5

Week 4: 0/18

Lifestyle: 0/5

• Like 1
  • Wobbegong changed the title to Wobbegong, focus!

Yay @Wobbegong is here! And oh my gosh, I figured something like this happened, but you got your dream job and you're moved! Wow! Congratulations!

Have you ever tried Copy Me That? It's how I do meal planning, it makes my life so much easier... https://www.copymethat.com/ I like it because it has a great free version, there's an app, and it integrates with recipes I add, lets me adjust them and then makes a grocery list for me. I also set up the account so it can be shared so that my family can chip in with either the shopping or the cooking as appropriate, so it's really helpful.

I know what a bear crawl is, and I don't like it. I can't imagine what an apartment crawl is if they're comparable!

Good idea for the Waste time challenge. It's so easy for us to do that these days. Having a list would certainly be helpful, good luck!

Welcome back!

• Like 2

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

9 hours ago, J3NN said:

Yay @Wobbegong is here! And oh my gosh, I figured something like this happened, but you got your dream job and you're moved! Wow! Congratulations!

Thanks! It's been a bit of a transition, but I'm very happy with how things turned out. :D 

Have you ever tried Copy Me That? It's how I do meal planning, it makes my life so much easier... https://www.copymethat.com/ I like it because it has a great free version, there's an app, and it integrates with recipes I add, lets me adjust them and then makes a grocery list for me. I also set up the account so it can be shared so that my family can chip in with either the shopping or the cooking as appropriate, so it's really helpful.

I had never even heard of it or thought of using an app for meal planning, but thank you for the recommendation! I'm looking into it now. Usually just taking a few minutes to think up a couple of meals is enough for me, but I do sometimes feel like there's nothing in the world to cook that I didn't eat last week (lol) so a list of go-to recipes would be pretty helpful. 

I know what a bear crawl is, and I don't like it. I can't imagine what an apartment crawl is if they're comparable!

Bear crawls are for people with ambition. I'm just baby crawling around my apartment. It's good for proprioception (awareness of where your body is in space), works the shoulders a little, and at my current level of I-haven't-strength-trained-seriously-in-years, doing laps around every room in my apartment is enough for me to start feeling it. 

I'm also fond of the (baby) crawl because it's a really natural world-investigative movement, the sort that kids employ a lot more than adults. By the end of the challenge I'd like to feel ready to approach somersaults! Playing in the dirt is great. 

Good idea for the Waste time challenge. It's so easy for us to do that these days. Having a list would certainly be helpful, good luck!

I routinely find myself sitting around thinking "I really don't want to watch TV, I'm stuck in my current video game, reading is boring, and there's just nothing I want to do! AAAGH." Later in the week I'll see a half-finished painting and be like "Why didn't I work on that??" The reason is because I forgot about it. Hence, the list! 

Welcome back!

Thanks! It's good to be here!

9 hours ago, Hazard said:

Daaaamn, it's been five months already?!   This year is just flying by for me.  I feel like you just left for Japan a month ago.

It's been five months since I got the job, but only four months since I actually came to Japan. Actually four months exactly this past Wednesday (which might have been yesterday for you, but it's Friday here right now -- timezones are still hard). But I hear you about the year flying by. I feel like I've been here forever. 

• Like 1

Although I'm not starting on my goals until next week when the challenge officially starts, I had actually planned out my meals for next week. Since I work at city hall with the board of education during summer vacation, I have to bring a lunch with me (during the school year, I eat school lunch with the kiddos, so no planning required there). Everyone here is pretty shocked that I cook my own food, and I'm not sure why... maybe because I'm an unmarried woman, the assumption is that I live at home and my mom cooks for me? But obviously I would not survive if I was waiting for my mom to ship meals to me from the USA every day, so??? 

Then on top of the "wow you can cook at all" there's always the "what kind of food do you cook?" question. People here really want me to cook Japanese food, but one time I brought homemade makizushi (rolled sushi) and everyone freaked out because it's apparently super difficult or something. Pretty early after I came here one of the BoE employees invited me to her house and taught me how to make onigiri and makizushi, but even she was surprised that I actually did. And everyone was surprised that I didn't make onigiri. I like makizushi better, ok?!?! 

One of my coworkers just interrupted me typing this to tell me I smell amazing. I baked some pound cake for work last night and apparently now the AC is blowing my butter-sugar scent all over her face and she's very pleased. I hope this means I usually don't smell at all, since she's never mentioned it before... 

Anyway, I basically always feel like a dancing bear no matter what I make or eat, so I've decided to give up trying so hard to eat culturally appropriate food and had planned to make deviled egg salad sandwiches for lunch next week. (Deviled because I had a mishap with an Amazon order for dijon and ended up with almost a kg of it.) Let them be curious about my culture for once! But they've just told me that although they'll be working, the schools all have the week off for Obon, so I should not bother coming in. Foiled. 

I guess I'll make sandwiches anyway because egg salad is delicious. 

• Like 2

Good luck on the challenge. Doesn't seem like 5 months. Good that you seem to be doing well!

Since you are in Pallet town, are you playing Pokemon Go? If so, are you planning on getting out there for the Eevee community days? :) https://pokemongolive.com/events/community-day/ I plan on getting out both days to catch all the shinnies.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Tateman said:

Good luck on the challenge. Doesn't seem like 5 months. Good that you seem to be doing well!

Five months since I got the news, not five months since I moved. But thank you!! 

2 minutes ago, Tateman said:

Since you are in Pallet town, are you playing Pokemon Go? If so, are you planning on getting out there for the Eevee community days? :) https://pokemongolive.com/events/community-day/ I plan on getting out both days to catch all the shinnies.

I am the world's worst obsessive Pokemon fan, I actually do not play Pokemon Go. I guess I... could? Japan is probably a good place for it. I did consider starting when I heard that it would integrate with the Switch games coming out in November, but it's a little more awkward to wander around the streets with your nose in your phone when everyone in town recognizes you on sight. Then again there's almost no traffic here so it is fairly safe to wander into the street... 

Someone made a map of the Pokemon game regions overlaid on Japan, and according to that (which does match up fairly well with actual Japanese geography and culture, although I'm not sure what the Sevii or Orange Islands are) I live in Pallet Town, right there in Izu. Most days I can see Cinnabar Island (we call it Oshima) from my work, but in summer the humidity is too high and it disappears. Even when you can see it, it always has its own little cloud sitting on top, so it kind of looks like it's smoking. (It might actually be smoking, since Mt Mihara is an active volcano. There are some great hot springs there.) 

world-map-showing-tokyo-japan-new-map-of

• Like 2

Welcome back and good luck on your challenge! Sounds like you're adapting very well to your new lifestyle :)

Also I can totally relate about people being amazed at home cooking. I bring a lot of cakes and things to share at work because I really love baking but I should NOT eat so much of the stuff I make. And people are always super impressed, even though I just followed a recipe, like it's really not that hard?? It's a nice thing to be known for, though :)

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

Welcome back and good luck on your challenge! Sounds like you're adapting very well to your new lifestyle :)

Thanks! I'm doing my best, but as usual I kind of roll with "everything is fine... it's FINE" until things get better and I'm able to look back and say "yeah I was struggling then." It's a mix of too high a tolerance for discomfort and too low an awareness of stress. But overall I do think things are going pretty well. :) 

20 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

Also I can totally relate about people being amazed at home cooking. I bring a lot of cakes and things to share at work because I really love baking but I should NOT eat so much of the stuff I make. And people are always super impressed, even though I just followed a recipe, like it's really not that hard?? It's a nice thing to be known for, though :)

They're so shocked! I'm in the exact same boat, I love baking but I can't be left alone with the results of my labors. Much better to offload at work. Yesterday I made these pound cakes based on a recipe I found online (although I only have a toaster oven so I had to guess for temperature and bake time), and honestly they seemed a little too brown on top, so I went ahead and iced them. I had been undecided about icing because I was worried an American recipe would already yield too sweet a cake for Japanese people, but presentation is at least as important as flavor here. I brought them in to work because a coworker had asked specifically if I could make pound cake earlier in the week, and everyone asked if I bought them in a store! 

On the one hand, I absolutely agree with you that it's nice to be known for it, but on the other, it makes me a little sad that more people don't know how easy it is. I think a lot of people would enjoy baking if they just tried it. One of my coworkers told me she can make a cake if it comes out of a box, but when it comes to measuring ingredients, she's completely at a loss. Japan is a metric country, so all of the recipes I've seen are given in weight or whole units (like "one egg"). I'm sure she can use a kitchen scale, so...? Idk. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Thanks! I'm doing my best, but as usual I kind of roll with "everything is fine... it's FINE" until things get better and I'm able to look back and say "yeah I was struggling then." It's a mix of too high a tolerance for discomfort and too low an awareness of stress. But overall I do think things are going pretty well. :) 

I know the feeling! Glad you're having a good time in the main :)

In Australia we're metric too, but if I want to use an American recipe (chocolate bourbon cake, anyone?) Google can do the math to convert everything. To be fair, with baking you do need a bit of gear, like mixing bowls, measuring cups, bakeware, an oven and a kitchen to put everything in, and I know not everyone has access. But I agree that it's a shame more people don't get into home cooking, it's such a nice source of happiness :D 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

I know not everyone has access

I literally bought all of my baking equipment -- bowls, whisk, spatula, kitchen scale, spoons, etc -- except for my toaster oven and my immersion blender at Daiso, the dollar store. Daiso even has pound cake tins that fit in a toaster oven. I don't have a counter in my kitchen and have to do everything at the table, and since there's so little storage a bunch of my stuff is just kind of piled on the floor, but it can be done! 

But to be fair converting recipes for use in a toaster oven is super confusing and I can imagine if my anxiety leaned in that direction (thankfully it doesn't) being too worried about screwing up to even try. Plus, for Japanese people to use an American recipe, they would have to not only convert measurements from imperial to metric but also translate the recipe from English to Japanese, which is confusing af. I've had basically no success translating from Japanese to English so far. I mostly just guess based on experience, which is not an option for people who don't know what they're doing.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

I literally bought all of my baking equipment -- bowls, whisk, spatula, kitchen scale, spoons, etc -- except for my toaster oven and my immersion blender at Daiso, the dollar store. Daiso even has pound cake tins that fit in a toaster oven. I don't have a counter in my kitchen and have to do everything at the table, and since there's so little storage a bunch of my stuff is just kind of piled on the floor, but it can be done! 

But to be fair converting recipes for use in a toaster oven is super confusing and I can imagine if my anxiety leaned in that direction (thankfully it doesn't) being too worried about screwing up to even try. Plus, for Japanese people to use an American recipe, they would have to not only convert measurements from imperial to metric but also translate the recipe from English to Japanese, which is confusing af. I've had basically no success translating from Japanese to English so far. I mostly just guess based on experience, which is not an option for people who don't know what they're doing.

Good on you! When we went into Tokyu Hands and saw they had an entire floor devoted to kitchenware and another entire floor for stationary, Boyfriend had to aggressively remind me of our baggage limits ;)

Very true, conversion is one thing (took me long enough to figure out what a "stick" of butter is!) but translation is a totally different beast.

• Like 2

I love cake :D my cakes aren't always perfect since I like to experiment but baking isn't too difficult. Unfortunately my family refuses most of the time to even try one piece. Too much calories, unknown, looks awkward... They always find an excuse.

• Like 2

Was wäre das Leben, hätten wir nicht den Mut, etwas zu riskieren. Vincent van Goch

One of my coworkers just told me that because next week is Obon, everyone will come home to visit their family and the grocery store will run out of a lot of food. Therefore, I should plan to buy all my groceries for next week today after work. There goes my twice a week grocery plan. 

This kind of limitation also makes fresh vegetables difficult to manage. Even in the fridge, my vegetables usually don't last more than a couple of days, so I might have to plan some end-of-week meals that use light veg or find some freezer happy things today and store them properly for later use. My coworkers already rib me a bit about my fresh vegetable consumption (it's seriously expensive, they're right about that) and many times have asked if I'm a vegetarian. Not sure where that comes from since I eat meat with the best of 'em but... so be it. 

I guess I'm going to need to do my food planning for next week immediately...

• Like 1

Welcome back. we missed you.

Good luck with the grocery store thing. That would make me nuts. I have to get back to planning for a week at a time. With school out, we were a bit more "Plan a few days, wait a few days." But with school restarting its going to be "Sunday is cooking/weekly prep/Canning" day so everything needs figured out before then.

Following for your adventures.

• Like 1

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

On 8/10/2018 at 10:07 AM, Wobbegong said:
On 8/10/2018 at 9:50 AM, Tateman said:

are you playing Pokemon Go?

I actually do not play Pokemon Go.

I changed my mind. I dl'd PoGo on Saturday night and spent eight hours on Sunday walking around hitting all my local pokestops and catching a bajillion Eevees. 24 hours to Level 16, that's me. 

Idk what friend protocol is but if anyone wants to be friends my trainer code is 6736 0632 9255. :) 

• Like 2
On 8/12/2018 at 6:52 PM, Wobbegong said:

I changed my mind. I dl'd PoGo on Saturday night and spent eight hours on Sunday walking around hitting all my local pokestops and catching a bajillion Eevees. 24 hours to Level 16, that's me. 

Idk what friend protocol is but if anyone wants to be friends my trainer code is 6736 0632 9255. :) 

Honestly, this didn't surprise me much. You seem to be one of those people that once you decide to do it, you go full in. Congrats on getting to level 16. Good luck catching the pokemon.

• Like 1

I have had a weird couple of days, guys. I thought I was going to be in a great position to start this challenge because it's summer vacation, so I have the same morning schedule every day (going to work at city hall instead of a different school almost every day of the week). But then my boss, idk, felt bad for me or something, so he told me to work from home this week. Not take some days off -- specifically work from home. But they haven't given me any work to do, either. 

On top of that, it's so gross here that I've been sleeping in the living room (with the AC), which means I don't have to pack my futon up every day for fear of mold (it's a problem on tatami mats, but not on the wood floors in the living room), which means I don't have my usual workout space clear. Now, of course, I could just pack my bed up every da anyway, but what a pain in the butt. 

But even though it's gross out, I've started playing Pokemon Go, and it's got me walking. Not as much as I'd like to be, I'll admit. I'm honestly pretty ashamed of how tired I've been getting given the amount of walking I've been doing. True, the heat and humidity are painful and there have been weather warnings so it'd be stupid to push too hard, but I used to be wiped after a thirteen mile hike, and now seven kilometers is too much?! I call bull! 

I set up my bodyweight challenge for this round for a few reasons. First, I've been wanting to do it for a while. Second, it's a weather-appropriate exercise set I can do despite summer temperatures. Third, challenging myself to work out in the evening allows me to change long-held habits and ties in with my aim of showering at night (I've been instructed that I need to make sure my hair is dry after a shower, which means blow-drying if I do it in the morning, which I refuse to do on principle). 

I still think these are all good reasons, and I don't want to give up on any of them. But I'm going to change my challenge slightly to line up a little better with reality. My new second "Exercise" bullet will be "bodyweight OR walk AND stretch." I'm not specifying a walking duration because I'm a little concerned that instead of incentivizing me to just do the bodyweight, instead I'll end up getting heat stroke from insisting I keep going "just a little longer" or something. But this way I can feel good about myself no matter what exercise I'm doing, and hopefully THAT will be the incentive I really need. 

• Like 2

That is a weird few days. What are you doing to "work from home" since I am sure that would be hard if you don't have any work to do.

Maybe I am just not awake, but it took me forever to figure out what you meant about packing up your bed every day. Maybe you could make it a summer habit of "pack the bed up everyday anyway." so its not impeding your other goals.

Okay, so voice of reason (maybe) here. When you were doing 13 mile hikes, you may of been doing them at a lower evaluation than now (I may be wrong here), but you were also doing it in a completely different location. I know you said the weather is a bit different there from back home, and things like humidity levels and thing can make a difference. Think about dry heat vs humid heat.   Plus, it has taken some time to get adjusted to your new home, and you have been focusing on other walking and doing than  you were at home remember. This Wobbegong has a different life than the one back in the states.

Yeah, I never understood the whole "hair has to be dry thing" especially with my hair. I can take a shower before bed and its still wet 12 hours later. I mean we all know people shower, so why can't they be wet for a bit that day. Its not like you showed up in a towel to whatever your doing (You didn't show up in a towel did you?)

I think the change to your goals is a good idea. The whole point of this is to feel good about yourself. Do what it takes to get you there.

• Haha 1

Good you see you're ready to kick back, @Wobbegong

1 hour ago, Bean Sidhe said:

The whole point of this is to feel good about yourself. Do what it takes to get you there.

Ditto.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

• Like 2

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Embraces His Wild Poet

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

THIS RESPONSE DISCUSSES BUGS
IN THE SECOND PARAGRAPH

BE FOREWARNED

4 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

That is a weird few days. What are you doing to "work from home" since I am sure that would be hard if you don't have any work to do.

Basically I've just been stay-cationing. I don't want to go anywhere because I was specifically instructed that this is NOT vacation and people here call me randomly all the time and are just like "hi I'm coming over you're home right?" (which I absolutely HATE but is apparently culturally normal so it's not easy to explain the sense of invasion of privacy). I've been going for walks around town, though, since I can usually get back home pretty quickly. Aside from that mostly just internet and tv and cleaning. 

Maybe I am just not awake, but it took me forever to figure out what you meant about packing up your bed every day. Maybe you could make it a summer habit of "pack the bed up everyday anyway." so its not impeding your other goals.

I sleep on a Japanese futon, which is designed to be folded up and stashed away in the closet during the day to make more space in the room. Unfortunately after not doing this for weeks I did it for the first time yesterday and tonight was attacked by a mukade, which has now escaped. It's two in the morning and I'm sitting in terror in my kitchen clutching a shoe I've covered in tape waiting to kill the damn thing, but of course they hide from light so we're at a bit of an impasse. I thoroughly investigated its last known location but no luck, so... *deep breath* I'll call a coworker at a more reasonable hour and see if we can hunt the damn thing down before work tomorrow. And then I can sleep. 

I will not post pictures here but anyone who is curious can find a wealth of images and information by searching "mukade" online. Yes, I am talking about the vicious Japanese Giant Centipede. Yes, its bite hurts like a motherfucker. 

Okay, so voice of reason (maybe) here. When you were doing 13 mile hikes, you may of been doing them at a lower evaluation than now (I may be wrong here), but you were also doing it in a completely different location. I know you said the weather is a bit different there from back home, and things like humidity levels and thing can make a difference. Think about dry heat vs humid heat.   Plus, it has taken some time to get adjusted to your new home, and you have been focusing on other walking and doing than  you were at home remember. This Wobbegong has a different life than the one back in the states.

I knoooooow. I am 100% not familiar with the difficulties of existing in this kind of weather and therefore tend to underestimate it a lot, but I'm worried that if I don't at least give myself permission to try to work harder, I'll overcompensate and do nothing. That said, people keep stopping me in the street to remind me it's hot out and dangerous and I need to hydrate and keep up my salt intake and wear a hat (never) and people have been dropping left and right recently so I should probably be a little more careful. 

Yeah, I never understood the whole "hair has to be dry thing" especially with my hair. I can take a shower before bed and its still wet 12 hours later. I mean we all know people shower, so why can't they be wet for a bit that day. Its not like you showed up in a towel to whatever your doing (You didn't show up in a towel did you?)

The only reason "shower before bed" works for me is because my hair is still really short. I was told that because the humidity is high here, if I don't use a dryer it will never get dry, and if my hair is wet too long I will get sick, so when people see my wet hair they will worry about me. I consider myself to have a pretty strong constitution and I have always let my hair air-dry so the idea that wet hair will give me a cold seems preposterous, but the worry is definitely real. Out of consideration for that, I'll change my shower habit. 

I think the change to your goals is a good idea. The whole point of this is to feel good about yourself. Do what it takes to get you there.

Right now I feel so miserable from this bug bite I can't imagine any fitness goal ever making me feel good, but I recognize that when I am not sitting with what basically amounts to the world's worst non-lethal bee sting on my boob at three in the morning I will feel better about myself. Thank you for the encouragement and validation, Bean. 

On 8/12/2018 at 4:52 PM, Wobbegong said:

Friend request sent from my 3 accounts :)

Hope you get that bug! That would freak me the hell out

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Tateman said:

Friend request sent from my 3 accounts :)

Hope you get that bug! That would freak me the hell out

Friend requests accepted! My first friend(s)! Hooray! 

I also am praying to find it (only because doing battle would be slightly less horrible than living in fear for the rest of my life). I am definitely what you would call freaked the hell out right now. Almost four hours later the bite area no longer burns like fire but it's still red and irritated and sort of stings. I never want to repeat this experience if it can be avoided, but the most worrisome thing to me is that I have NO IDEA how the creature got in here. I've worked hard to improve my no-bug protocol to keep mosquitoes out, and I thought I was safe. 

So now on top of being freaked out by the one that I know is here because it just bit me, I'm terrified that there are more lurking somewhere AND THAT'S A COCKROACH GOD DAMN IT I HATE THIS DAY

• Like 1

Ugh. This has been a really long morning already and it's not even ten yet. I contacted a coworker in a panic at about three saying "I know you're asleep but when you wake up can you come over??? A mukade bit me but I can't find it T_T T_T" She got my message at around eight and checked in at work and collected my supervisor before coming over. They took a look and couldn't find it either, so they decided to fumigate my apartment. Thankfully, this will take care of the cockroach(es) as well. 

Now I'm stuck at work on three hours of sleep while I wait for my apartment to become habitable again. And I feel really bad for my spider. That thing was really loyal and did a great job managing all of the bugs smaller than it was in my apartment. (I can't blame it for not dealing with the cockroaches or the mukade, since they're like twelve times its size at least and difficult even for humans to dispatch.) 

My coworkers told me the mukade I saw was about as large as they get around here. Here I was thinking it was only a little fella because internet sources report they get 20-30cm long, and mine was only 10-12cm ish. However, I haven't had an allergic reaction to the bite, so I'm lucky. And I don't have to go to the hospital, which is GREAT, because the doctors are all on vacation for Obon. >_>;; 

This means that I completely blew my "no Internet before work" goal for the day, but to be honest I'm feeling extremely forgiving of myself right now. I also missed morning wrist strengthening and my apartment crawl because there was not anything that could have convinced me to get on the floor. Again, forgiven. I'll make points for this week out of one fewer days to account for the skip. It's not great for habit building, but at least now I know: in the battle between new habits and vicious giant centipedes, the centipede wins. 

• Like 1