• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jenglish

Jenglish gets off his @$$

So I have been absent pretty much since the terrible "upgrade" to the website a couple years ago.  But I am trying to get back into the routine. I am doing a trail half marathon in October that I still have ot have runs for (how un-warrior like) but I just started building a home gym and am ready to get back into powerlifting.  As much as I would like to move some metal after not touching a barbell for almost 2 years I am starting at the bottom of SS 5x5 again.  I am hoping I can bounce back quickly.

No fun theme this time.

Log Food 6 days/week

weigh 4+ days a week

Minimum 2 strength workouts week

minimum 2 runs a week including a long run

• Like 3

Thanks Grymm.

It's odd how few folks I recognize around here

So far this week before the launch I have done 2 5x5 routines wihtout the bar.  But the first one I did right after a 4 mile run and was super duper sore

Yesterday I ran 6.22 miles at 59:21 turtle pace and another routine.

WOrking with just a bar again seems weird but also the awkwardness of it tells me my form has gone to crap and I need to focus on that before I get much weight.  Actually I did throw 10s on for the deadlift but that was mostly for height.

I'm currently hovering around 160 and am working towards getting back to 148 class.

• Like 1

So I have my cage in my basement untility room. I have a 1” bar in garage to do OHP without banging joists. Since I have both Cable row and lat pull down I am thinking of doing those instead of bent over row. My form seems to go quickly downhill as the weight goes up with those.  I may also look at adding in some curls since I picked up an easy curl bar with the 1” bar and weights in the garage.

will be out of town all weekend and struggling to not let my mother guilt me into eating every 10 minutes 

AA822F8B-226A-4280-B77D-04A153FE4274.jpeg

I have a similar setup, but I punched holes in the ceiling to press off the backside of the rack.  I have to space the plates out a little to clear the joists.

Pendlay rows are tough to stabilize initially.  I had more problems with doing a bit of an overhand curl at the top of the motion and putting a lot of load into my forearms.  I've since moved the bar back over midfoot in my stance and hit lower to keep my forearms vertical.  This has allowed me to add more weight.

If I had a more extensive set of dumbells I like a dumbell rows from a flat bench.  I am really just looking for some back work and probably prefer seated cable rows and lat pull downs.  I am not married to the lifts of SL (I think I said SS earlier) but just want some back work.  I liked the lay out of 5/3/1 better but feel I need to start at the bottom again and SL (Or SS for that matter) gets you up in weight fairly quickly.

Besides, I have to justify the extra $130 I paid for the cables ;)

SL and SS are very similar - rows vs. power cleans, 3 working sets vs. 5.  I did stronglifts when I started out.  After a while, 5 working sets just stretched the workouts too long when I actually needed rest.  I switched to 3 working sets, but kept the rows for now.  I'm looking around at what program I want to switch to next.

20 hours ago, jenglish said:

I am really just looking for some back work and probably prefer seated cable rows and lat pull downs. 

I'm a fan. Def my preferred! 

20 hours ago, jenglish said:

Besides, I have to justify the extra $130 I paid for the cables ;)

That's a good price, what did you get?

22 hours ago, Grymm said:

SL and SS are very similar - rows vs. power cleans, 3 working sets vs. 5.  I did stronglifts when I started out.  After a while, 5 working sets just stretched the workouts too long when I actually needed rest.  I switched to 3 working sets, but kept the rows for now.  I'm looking around at what program I want to switch to next.

I really liked Wendler 5/3/1 for main lifts and typically did Boring but Big supplemental lifts

4 hours ago, RedStone said:

I'm a fan. Def my preferred! 

That's a good price, what did you get?

The rack and pulley are both TDS. I had $400 worth of Amazon money from a health insurance thing. It’s certainly not the best quality but I can’t see bending it. I started out looking at $250 racks and then this brand was $300. Or for an extra 130 I got the lat pulleys which I knew I would want eventually and was cheaper bundled. If I find myself so buff it’s insufficient I will think that is a fine problem to have. When I was lifting before I was around 148 pound range so I think I’ll be ok with the half ton rating haha

• Like 1

Hard to stay on food targets at my mothers.

I didn’t have much time with both my boys already up but I did manage to get in a slow 2.15 mile run in. The farm is partially on old reclaimed mine land so it’s never steep but all hill.

Glad to see that you're getting back into lifting. I've been rebuilding my squat after an injury, so I know the feeling. It's going pretty quickly, though. I've been doing Starting Strength, as far as squats go, with the added complication that I only advance when my bar path looks good on all of my reps.

• Like 1

Ate poorly today and didnt move much due to headache. I did my 5x5 squat 50, bench 50 and cable row 50.  My pulley for rows is like an inch off the ground so my bench has me pretty high.  Still feeling that out.  I may end up sitting on concrete floor

8 hours ago, jenglish said:

My pulley for rows is like an inch off the ground so my bench has me pretty high.  Still feeling that out.  I may end up sitting on concrete floor 

My rack is the same... I sit on the floor - but it's hard to get my feet in a good spot.  It's annoying enough that I really just do barbell rows for ease of setup.

As someone who is training for the L.A. marathon in March, I am with you in the running Warrior solidarity.

Also, welcome back! I think your last challenge was just before my first challenge. Glad to see old warriors making their return to the fold.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blocky said:

My rack is the same... I sit on the floor - but it's hard to get my feet in a good spot.  It's annoying enough that I really just do barbell rows for ease of setup.

Yeah.  I may try the floor tomorrow or one of my mats.  Yesterday I was lifting in my underwear and cold concrete wasn't appealing

7 hours ago, Grumble said:

As someone who is training for the L.A. marathon in March, I am with you in the running Warrior solidarity.

Also, welcome back! I think your last challenge was just before my first challenge. Glad to see old warriors making their return to the fold.

Awesome.  I'm not sure I could ever commit to a full

diet was not great and I havent been logging accurately.  I had a meal planned today with patients (I work in an inpatient hospital) and I skipped the heaping serving of fries so I will call that a win Super stressful day with some discussions with my (ex)wife.  Anyway.  Th e iron never lies

squat 5x5 55 Feeling more comfortable

OHP 5x5 45 just did it in basement but it was tight.  I'm not sure if pulling my punches on heavy presses will work

DL 1x5 80  I forgot that SL was 1x5 Deads.  That is not enough deadlifting brah...

Must go to bed and get up early to run

7 miles this morning

And the realization that when I switched phones it moved a lot of things over but I need to update my Garmin bluetooth to this phone so I don't know what my time was hahaha

Watch bluetoothed.  So I was at 1:05:40 which is 9:23/mile.  Not great but not terrible.  I really have to get some longer runs in soon.  And hillier.  I only had 335 feet of gain and the place I am running the half is relatively brutal.

12 hours ago, jenglish said:

Awesome.  I'm not sure I could ever commit to a full

I'm committing to ONE. Bucket list thing

2 hours ago, jenglish said:

7 miles this morning

You sure you couldn't do just one?

12 hours ago, jenglish said:

OHP 5x5 45 just did it in basement but it was tight.  I'm not sure if pulling my punches on heavy presses will work

DO them on your knees. Same level of effort, even less chance of cheating. They work great as well as a truer test of strength. Learned that from Buff Dudes.

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

I'm committing to ONE. Bucket list thing

You sure you couldn't do just one?

DO them on your knees. Same level of effort, even less chance of cheating. They work great as well as a truer test of strength. Learned that from Buff Dudes.

Yeah, I have occasionally considered at the very least run walking one since I have hiked farther than that in a day.

Hmm,,, I have never tried them on my knees.  I tried them sitting and hated it.  I may give that a shot at some point but admittedly I dislike change and am trying to just sort of grease the groove at this point and get back into the swing of things.  Hence the boring themeless challenge. 

I had intended to lift last night and ended up merely lifting glasses instead. Another stressful day and I needed to be getting packed for a lake trip this weekend that I know I will eat like garbage and probably drink.  This mornig someone brought in breakfast pizza from Caseys. Today I am struggling with the thought that I will overeat all weekend so I might as well start now 

Maybe you just need to make some 80/20 rule adjustments.  Rule sets which are overly rigid can be fragile like glass or concrete.  Loaded the right way, they shatter completely.  Maybe something more tough and malleable is required in this instance like steel.  Pack a couple healthy breakfast bars and a little fruit.  See if you can make it until 4pm eat day before your eating goes off the rails.  Use calorie free mixers.  Don't drink light beer because why would you do that?  But Guinness is fairly light and gets my endorsement.

Bend but don't break.  Then, come Monday, you may find you were able to shave 1500-2000 calories off that trip.  It's not ideal, but it puts you that much further along toward getting back on track. 

My big thing now is if I go out on a Saturday night, I eat dinner at home beforehand.  Then, after the bar, I go home.  I don't get empanadas.  I don't go to the dinner.  I go home, and I go to sleep. 

• Like 1

The weekend at the lake is something I have done for years with fellas I went to elementary school with.  I essentially really tie one on 2-4x per year. So right now I am taking the cognitive re-frame (its a cognitive reframe when I do it. Its rationalizing when my patients do it) that Its more important to blow off steam in the middle of a divorce and get back in the groove Monday that half ass the weekend and come back not reset.  Besides I've never drank more than 100 beers in a weekend. :adoration: