• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood - Get Crazy With the Cheez Whiz

tumblr_mhsze4GVVs1rw5yn2o1_250.gif

Gah, I'm back up to my highest-ever weight, but I'm still not feeling the fitness thing.

Shame you can't get max results from doing nothing.  :D

Thing is, I'm not really in a funk right now.  I simply don't feel like putting myself through the requisite pains--enough things already hurt full time.  I think I'm just going to do life for a bit and see how that goes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

Thing is, I'm not really in a funk right now.  I simply don't feel like putting myself through the requisite pains--enough things already hurt full time.  I think I'm just going to do life for a bit and see how that goes.

This sounds smart. Try and focus on fixing the things that already hurt full time. Here to cheer you on <3

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ensi said:

This sounds smart. Try and focus on fixing the things that already hurt full time. Here to cheer you on <3

I'm kind of at an impasse with fixing things since it requires medical expertise (and more importantly, care) that doesn't seem to exist in my area, and I'm tried of wasting my time and money on incompetent doctors who don't listen.  Maybe I can find someone who doesn't suck in the bigger city, but that requires an even larger investment of time and money.  Just another in a long list of things I don't like about living here.  I'm going to try and find a knee brace that I can wear for a while to see if my knees will calm down on their own with a bit of added support.

But those of you who are still checking up on me may have noticed a bit of green creeping in on the spreadsheet.  It's not that I've been completely subverting my program, but I haven't really been working at it either.  Food has been mostly high and occasionally unreasonable but not devastating.  Gym has been skipped because I've been working OT, because I'd rather not be sore, and because I just plain prefer being home.  Sleep hasn't been bad, though it hasn't been great either.  But MFG is working hard at her program recently and she's been implementing some gradual changes to our family nutrition, so I'm feeling a bit more supported and a bit less like all my efforts are futile.  Hopefully this phase of "just doing life" will be restful and help to redirect my path toward more fitnessy accomplishments.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

a bit of green creeping in on the spreadsheet

Yay! Keep that green coming! :)

I'm sorry you're struggling. You know you can always come here to vent ((hugs))

I'm feeling a bit more supported

It's nice to have support like that. I hope you two can motivate each other, and by that setting a great example for your kids :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Terah said:

Yay! Keep that green coming! :)

I'm sorry you're struggling. You know you can always come here to vent ((hugs))

It's nice to have support like that. I hope you two can motivate each other, and by that setting a great example for your kids :)

Lately it feels like all I do is vent.  I've been on a steady slide since last December, all starting with the heart cath exam that spiked my stress levels to previously unknown heights.  Then I turned 40 (with Tank, Wolf, and my brother--definitely the highlight of that month), and even though it's just a number it feels weightier than I anticipated.  This hasn't been the roughest year of my life, but it hasn't exactly been easy either.  I'll figure it out eventually, I'm sure.

Yesterday was another mixed bag, but the poorer mixin's amounted to red on the spreadsheet while the winning mixin's don't really register in the fitness program.  Eating was unaccountable, but I did at least stick to my 1DP limit for the day.  Apart from that I ate good meals, a few too many snacks, and a big ol' turtle sundae at Braum's when I took Bubbles out for a daddy-daughter date-night conversation thingy to talk about boys.  That conversation went pretty well considering the inherent awkwardness of it, so that's a big checkmark in the win column.  Alongside that win, when I got home from work I decided to finally tackle the Dallisgrass weed problem in the front lawn.  That took over an hour of digging, prying, tugging, and general lawn-caring under the hot sun, and when I was done it more than qualified as one of the toughest workouts I've done in recent months.  The lawn looks like a warzone (because it was, and I won) and will need more work today.  After Bubbles and I picked up the other younglings from youth group and a couple of items for MFG at the store I headed home, got everyone squared away for the night, and then stayed up late bingeing New Girl (I'm almost done) on Netflix while playing Rocket League.  So even though it was a red fitness day I'm counting it as a good life day.  :)  The only thing I didn't get done was some guitar practice, but I'm confident I can knock that out tonight.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

Then I turned 40 (with Tank, Wolf, and my brother--definitely the highlight of that month), and even though it's just a number it feels weightier than I anticipated.

This is precisely why I am still 39, again. 

Well done on the non-fitness wins.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

That conversation went pretty well considering the inherent awkwardness of it, so that's a big checkmark in the win column.

I would say this is far more important in the long run than getting in a workout

• Like 1

On 8/23/2018 at 11:17 AM, Shello said:

This is precisely why I am still 39, again. 

Well done on the non-fitness wins.  

I'd go back to 38, that was my NF peak.  :D

Thanks!  It's not helping me be sexy, but it is making the world a better place, so I guess it's worthwhile.  ;)

16 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I would say this is far more important in the long run than getting in a workout

It's one thing to skip a(nother) workout, but it's something more to add a(nother) ice cream sundae on top of it.  That's like negative fitness.  :lol:  But it was a needful thing to do for someone I love very much, and at this stage family fitness is trumping physical fitness even when a workout would be significantly less agonizing.

That's not saying a whole lot; physical fitness is pretty near the bottom of my list recently.

Case in point--I did very little besides work and eat yesterday.  Then I stayed up way too late trying to regain lost rank in RL--I've been making a concerted effort to play less, but that means my skills have rusted and I'm dropping rank the way I wish to drop bodyfat.  I lost three whole ranks in a short span recently and can't seem to get back in playing form.  That's super frustrating, which makes it really hard to quit for the sake of bedtime.

Anyway I keep thinking I'm about to turn a corner and get back on the fitness wagon, but my mojo is resisting a return to form.  I'm sticking it out, we'll see what comes of it.  Maybe if I keep pushing the habit of daily updates then I'll get bored enough to start doing something worth talking about.  ;)

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

Maybe if I keep pushing the habit of daily updates then I'll get bored enough to start doing something worth talking about.  ;)

Sounds like a plan :D

Or just post pictures of delicious foods you ate, luring us to the dark side ;)

• Like 2

Case in point--I did very little besides work and eat yesterday.  Then I stayed up way too late trying to regain lost rank in RL--I've been making a concerted effort to play less, but that means my skills have rusted and I'm dropping rank the way I wish to drop bodyfat.  I lost three whole ranks in a short span recently and can't seem to get back in playing form.  That's super frustrating, which makes it really hard to quit for the sake of bedtime.

You're playing against people living in their parent's basements who have nothing to do all day but play video games. Just keep that in mind.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2018 at 2:30 PM, Terah said:

Sounds like a plan :D

Or just post pictures of delicious foods you ate, luring us to the dark side ;)

I refuse to drag anyone else down with me.  :P  It would be impolite.

On 8/24/2018 at 7:00 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You're playing against people living in their parent's basements who have nothing to do all day but play video games. Just keep that in mind.

Yes and no.  Most of the player base is far younger than I, true, but during the times I'm able to play I'm almost certain to be facing more of the folks nearer to my cohort.  But it's also not just relative skill; I was objectively playing worse than I had before.  I took a short break and now things are headed back in the right direction.

tenor.gif

Just doing life right now has been pretty pleasant.  I'm working a little OT, enjoying my family, serving my church, and playing with my hobbies and projects.  The guitar on my workbench is progressing nicely and I'm making strides in Rocket League.  I've gained a little bit more weight and my clothes are fitting snugly, but I can also sense my appetite normalizing and I haven't been craving sweets as much.  Things are evening out again and I'm hopeful to be moving toward another phase of weight loss in the not-too-distant future.  My body still aches and I'm not in any mood to exercise, but I'm staying active while trying to let my knees relax.

As August winds down we're getting into a groove with homeschool and kids' activities, and I'm looking forward to a reasonably calm September.  We're also making our travel plans to visit family in early October, possibly including a trip to the old undergrad alma mater for homecoming volleyball and football games.  Should be some good times ahead.  And if those vibes translate to a bit more optimism for my fitness outlook then I'll happily welcome that, too.

• Like 6

247.4 lbs, a new PR.  I want to thank the good folks at Blue Bell for their new Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough flavor. B)

Ranked my way back up to Diamond and managed to string together enough wins to earn the season reward level for that rank.  That merited a break from RL for a bit.

Played the worship set at church, caught an afternoon nap, enjoyed small-group discussion, watched Deadpool 2 with MFG, generally chilled for most of the weekend.  On Monday (holiday) we road-tripped with friends to visit the Chisholm Trail Heritage Center which is a surprisingly awesome little museum.  Afterwards we went and had lunch at the closest thing to a legit California burrito-style place here, and that left me feeling very full.

I don't know when my weight-loss mojo will return, but I'm getting increasingly uncomfortable with my expanding girth.  I may have to start doing something about it regardless of whether or not I actually feel like it.

• Like 7

Despite the lack of fitness mojo, it seems you are enjoying yourself.  

Have you considered something a little less formal for a routine?  It doesn't have to be all or nothing.   Eating 'healthier' during most of the day, supplementing with some ice cream (I recently discovered the Blue Bunny snack), and then incorporating a family walk after dinner or a bike ride might help to keep you active without it feeling so much like a chore.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shello said:

Have you considered something a little less formal for a routine?  It doesn't have to be all or nothing.   Eating 'healthier' during most of the day, supplementing with some ice cream (I recently discovered the Blue Bunny snack), and then incorporating a family walk after dinner or a bike ride might help to keep you active without it feeling so much like a chore.  

I second this. Also: start playing pokemon go, it really helps me to keep active and just go a few steps further to hit that pokestop ;)

Walking is still the best exercise to get started again. Every time I fall off the fitness wagon, this helps me get back. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shello said:

Honestly, nope.  I haven't really thought about it at all.  I have zero interest in exercise of any kind, and the more I consider it the more I realize that I have no need or desire to be strong, fast, or durable.  All I really want is to look good in my clothes and for my back to not hurt.  I'm pretty sure I could accomplish that with diet alone if I were sufficiently motivated.

But lately I seem to want to eat during my workday (my job is boring, so that's part of the problem) and then not eat when I get home.  However, family dinner is our daily 'togetherness' and MFG works hard on meals so I feel obligated to eat even when I'd rather skip it.  I don't quite know what I'll do about that.  For now I'm kind of interested in seeing if I'll clear 250 lbs.  B)

8 hours ago, Terah said:

I second this. Also: start playing pokemon go, it really helps me to keep active and just go a few steps further to hit that pokestop ;)

Walking is still the best exercise to get started again. Every time I fall off the fitness wagon, this helps me get back. 

I don't really go outside much anymore.  Around here it seems to be either over 100ºF or raining.  I could walk on my treadmill at home, but the moment I arrive from work everyone's ready for dinner.  And once I've eaten I don't want to do anything active.  Maybe I should bite the bullet and buy the rest of the stuff I need to mount a screen on my treadmill so I can walk while I play games in the later evening.

Yesterday was a good day.  MFG hosted her monthly get-together of homeschool moms from our church, so after dinner (taco salad) I took the Minions to the mall theater to see Ant-Man and the Wasp.  We got home and did bedtimes for the kids, then I played a bit of Rocket League, watched the last two episodes of New Girl, finished off my Blue Bell ice cream, and headed up to bed around 11.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

For now I'm kind of interested in seeing if I'll clear 250 lbs.

Whatever your goals, I am here to support you <4

• Like 1

18 hours ago, deftona said:

Whatever your goals, I am here to support you <4

When I have some goals again I know you'll be cheering me on.  B)  Right now it feels good to do nothing; the scale is simply a passive curiosity.

Yesterday was a good day.  I did my work, went home to dinner, took care of some finances, then played RL to make progress on the new loot system for a couple of hours.  Our power went out around 8:30 so we got everyone squared away with flashlights, then I pulled one of my acoustic guitars out of the back of the closet and played for an hour or so.  Just after we said prayers and tucked in the kids the power came back on, so I went around the house resetting clocks, blowing out candles, and making sure all the lights were appropriately on or off.  MFG and I did some reading in bed before turning out the lights and snuggling down to sleep around 11:30.

• Like 5

Well, I clocked it this morning: 250.4 lbs.--officially my heaviest ever.  I'm not as upset about that as you might think.  It's kind of an accomplishment, and with it comes a determination to go no higher.

So I'm going to do some planning during the rest of this Week Zero and come up with a weight-loss strategy that I can put in to practice beginning with the next challenge.  I don't quite know what it will look like, but I'm at least mildly interested in giving it a go; and that's a significant improvement over recent times.

I'm a driver, I'm a winner...things are gonna change; I can feel it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DrFeelgood said:

Well, I clocked it this morning: 250.4 lbs.--officially my heaviest ever.  I'm not as upset about that as you might think.  It's kind of an accomplishment, and with it comes a determination to go no higher.

So I'm going to do some planning during the rest of this Week Zero and come up with a weight-loss strategy that I can put in to practice beginning with the next challenge.  I don't quite know what it will look like, but I'm at least mildly interested in giving it a go; and that's a significant improvement over recent times.

I'm a driver, I'm a winner...things are gonna change; I can feel it.

Whatever the scale says, we're here to support you, doc :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

but I'm at least mildly interested in giving it a go

That's a pretty big difference from the last few updates.  Glad to see you found something that gets you back in the game

• Like 1

Not that long ago, when people were naturally more active and ate real food made from ingredients, it was a mighty feat to hit 250#. The average NFL offensive lineman didn’t even hit 250 until the 60’s or 70’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:22 AM, Ensi said:

Whatever the scale says, we're here to support you, doc :)

It's only telling me the truth.  :)  Hopefully we can make it say good things.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:40 AM, WhiteGhost said:

That's a pretty big difference from the last few updates.  Glad to see you found something that gets you back in the game

It's been a slog for sure.  Maybe this turn-around will be the right one.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:01 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Not that long ago, when people were naturally more active and ate real food made from ingredients, it was a mighty feat to hit 250#. The average NFL offensive lineman didn’t even hit 250 until the 60’s or 70’s.

I always tell my kids I have the same stats as an NFL running back (Michael Turner, to be exact).  Who knew I was in such great shape? :lol:

Thanks for the encouragement, y'all.  The last couple of days have been rough--I slept badly and woke up with stiff neck and shoulders on Thursday morning, and it steadily worsened throughout the day to the point where I left work a couple hours early to just come home and lie down.  That helped a bit, and I was able to take the boys to their Trail Life meeting that evening.  Friday was still stiff, but not as painful so I focused on staying as still as possible at work all day.  Back at home the lawn desperately needed care so I sucked it up and did all the yardwork.  Fortunately that didn't aggravate anything other than my knees and lower back. :D Today we're meeting the rest of the Trail Life troop for a family picnic and hike up on of the local mountain trails.  It should be fun, if a touch rainy, and I'm looking forward to being outside and active with my family.

I still don't have a good picture of what I want to do for the next challenge--suffice to say it will not be extravagant.

• Like 4