• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChangeAgent

New Ranger on the move...

Hi everyone!

I just completed my first challenge and decided Ranger suits me best because I am working on my running, my strength with NF Gym Level 4, and my hiking with elevation gain.  I want to have endurance, strength, and be able to hike up mountains.  Enough of that, and on to my new challenge....

I am moving from NJ to WA and all my stuff arrives in WA on August 10th.  I am moving from a house to a relatively small apartment (for now), so I'll be in box city for a while and I need to minimize my stuff.  This means I need to not procrastinate and get through the boxes!

Big goals:  No more boxes, climb a mountain with 4000 elevation gain or greater, maintain weight 127-135 for 1 year, and be able to run a 5k again (this is a big goal because I broke my femur and ankle and have a lot of metal inside my legs now and I must ramp up very, very slowly).

Small goals for this challenge:

1. Empty at least one box every single day.
  2. Run 3 times a week for 2 miles at a pace of 10min/mile or quicker.
  3. Strength training 3 times a week with NF level 4.
  4. 1 hike with elevation gain of 1000+ per week.
  5. Eat 300 calories or less of candy and sugary food with no nutritional value per day.  (This will be the hard one.)
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Salinger said:

Welcome to the Rangers!! Cool goals...

You join me and @shaar in moving house, we both move very soon!!! Good luck!! xx

Seriously, we're all moving!  Where are we going?? WHAT DOES THIS MEAN??

Also NJ to WA is a big one for sure!!  Good luck with everything, keeping my fingers crossed things go smoothly and everything arrives on time and in one piece, as it should be!

• Like 2

Very impressive! I think if I broke my femur and had a bunch of metal shoved in my leg, I'd consider that the permanent end of my running. I'm impressed you're still doing it! (And feeling somewhat wimpy that I let an itty-bitty stress fracture take me away from running for so long, even after it was healed up...)

Best of luck!

On 8/9/2018 at 4:35 PM, ChangeAgent said:

Big goals:  No more boxes

It’s gonna be hard work, but when you get there you will feel so. good. I come from a line of people who never quite fully unpack after moving but I pushed myself to do it and it was awesome. 

Your weekly hiking goal sounds awesome too. Any particular reason you’re getting up high, or is it just because?

@Rebel Pilot Gar   @deftona   @Tanktimus the Encourager   @Elastigirl   Thank you for the Welcome and encouragement!

@Salinger   @shaar  Nice to see I have moving companions!  :)

@Callanthae  I'm stubborn and didn't want broken bones to get the better of me.  I might never make it to the marathon, but I'm going to try until there's a sign either way.  PS - stress fractures are different.  It takes more discipline to heal them properly because they are not screaming at you the same way as not being able to walk.  My running has become an extension of the PT from the broken bones.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:01 AM, Radost said:

Your weekly hiking goal sounds awesome too. Any particular reason you’re getting up high, or is it just because?

I've always had trouble with hills... running them, walking them, biking them, etc... yet I love making it to the "top" and looking out over a view.  I can walk all day (literally, I've been on my feet walking for 10 hours straight and not had a problem), so it's the uphill that gives me the big challenge and the welcome speedy and easy descent as my reward for my efforts.  I love that!

• Like 5

Today is supposed to be Day 1, but I think I need a mulligan.  I spent Friday, Saturday, and Sunday being extremely active and eating slightly under my calorie goals, eating zero candy and sugary foods, going to the gym, running, doing a hike, and unpacking rooms full of boxes.  Today is another story.  All the moving stress and lack of sleep is getting the better of me.  I am taking a planned rest day from vigorous exercise, but my eating is off the rails.  I am very disappointed with myself.  I'll make myself log everything in my food log, report on it tomorrow, and then start anew.  Why do I have this crazy problem with eating when I'm stressed and tired?????  Ugh.  And now I have a stomach ache.  Serves me right!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ChangeAgent said:

Today is supposed to be Day 1, but I think I need a mulligan.  I spent Friday, Saturday, and Sunday being extremely active and eating slightly under my calorie goals, eating zero candy and sugary foods, going to the gym, running, doing a hike, and unpacking rooms full of boxes.  Today is another story.  All the moving stress and lack of sleep is getting the better of me.  I am taking a planned rest day from vigorous exercise, but my eating is off the rails.  I am very disappointed with myself.  I'll make myself log everything in my food log, report on it tomorrow, and then start anew.  Why do I have this crazy problem with eating when I'm stressed and tired?????  Ugh.  And now I have a stomach ache.  Serves me right!

Sounds to me like you were super busy and active and under ate, and now you are making up for it.  One things that  tracking my calories helped me with is seeing a pattern of undereating and then overeating  because I let myself get too hungry. Your body is a smart machine, if you  don't feed it enough fuel it will most likely slow down or yell at you to eat more food. Ad by the time it is yelling, you usually don't have the self control to make good food choices.

Good plan to take a rest day today

5 hours ago, ChangeAgent said:

I've always had trouble with hills... running them, walking them, biking them, etc... yet I love making it to the "top" and looking out over a view.  

What awesome motivation!  Hope you get some fabulous views this challenge!

5 hours ago, ChangeAgent said:

Why do I have this crazy problem with eating when I'm stressed and tired????? 

Elastigirl is so right about undereating to the point where your body overrides your good intentions. And it’s also important to actually think about the question you asked up there: why is it hard to be strict about food intake when you’re stressed and tired? For the same reasons it’s hard to go on a hike or solve a difficult math problem - because you’re tired, and even if, say, the activity normally requires 10 energy and you have 12, you gotta remember that you’re also committing energy to ignoring the fact that you’re stressed and tired, which might bump a 10-energy activity up to 12 or 15. So be gentle with yourself and maybe have a look at what you can do when you’re less tired and stressed to set yourself up for success (or at least close to it) when you’re in stressville. 

• Like 2

Yeah, not only is moving very active but STRESSSSS YIKES.... I've definitely been eating a little bit like a dumpster on fire lately.  It's ok though, you're mindful of it, and as long as you remember this phase is only temporary you'll totally take care of things when the dust settles!! ^_____^

• Like 1

Day 1 Results:  Mixed.

1. Empty a box: YES
  2. Run 3 times a week:  Planned rest day.
  3. Strength training 3 times a week:  Planned rest day.
  4. 1 hike with elevation gain of 1000+ per week:  Did this on Sunday.  YES
  5. Eat 300 calories or less of candy and bad sugary food:  NO.  Bad day.  I ate sooooo much of the bad stuff.  I logged everything I ate, though.  Today is a new day and I'm staying accountable.  I ate 5 petite palmiers (slightly sweet buttery flaky crunchy pastry things), 2 mini Reeses cups, Snickers Ice Cream Bar, and a Margarita.  This was in addition to a healthy breakfast, healthy lunch, and Mexican dinner which was not unhealthy, but not the best, either.
  • Like 3

Sugar monster is a tough one. You can do it though. I personally find that tracking helps. Maybe you're not perfect at first, but can you do better than yesterday? Or last month/year/etc? Then eventually something clicks into place and good things happen. 

Also.....Would love to to see some pics of beautiful elevations that you hike if you ever feel like posting them :)

• Like 1

Day 2 Results (Tuesday):  GOOD!

2. Run 3 times a week:  YES  (2 miles, 18:55)
  3. Strength training 3 times a week:  YES  (Bodyweight training because the gym closed)
  4. 1 hike with elevation gain of 1000+ per week:  Weekend Activity. 
  5. Eat 300 calories or less of candy and bad sugary food:  YES  (I only had 5 Jordan almonds for 100 calories and mini Nerd candy for 110 calories)
  • Like 2

Day 3 Results (Wednesday):  GOOD!

5. Eat 300 calories or less of candy and bad sugary food:  YES  (I only had 10 Jordan almonds for 200 calories)

Warning:  Girl stuff ahead.  Stop reading if it makes you uncomfortable.  :)

I woke up with terrible cramps this morning and it turns out my menstrual cycle is here.  That partly explains the sugar/eating fest on Monday and my strong desire to cry about EVERYTHING going on in my life for the past couple days.  Arghhh....  I hate that my "monthly cycle" is always a surprise and not monthly at all.  Maybe I could be proactive about all the hormonal stupidity if I actually knew that it was happening BEFORE the event!  Grumble, grumble, grumble.

• Like 1

Feeling dreadful and taking ibuprophen.  I did my whole workout yesterday, but had to get through some major cramps right after my run. 

Day 4 Results (Thursday):  GOOD!

2. Run 3 times a week:  YES  (2 miles, 18:45)
  3. Strength training 3 times a week:  YES  (NF warm-up, NF gym level 4B, stretching session)
  5. Eat 300 calories or less of candy and bad sugary food:  YES, barely  (I had Reeses minis, Jordan almonds, and Nerds for 300 calories)
  • Like 2

Updating for status on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  I wasn't on a computer all weekend, which is a good thing!  I was very, very busy with trying to organize my new place, running a bit, working out in the gym, taking a walk in the park, going on a hike, attending a potluck, and many dog walks, of course.  Note:  I should be statusing my weekly weigh-in, even though it's not part of my challenge technically.  I'm not actively trying to lose right now, but I have a weight "yo-yo" problem.  I've been as high as 210 in the past.  I'm logging all my food and I'm trying to stay in a range of 127-135.  (I'm 5'7".)  Even with my poor eating last week, I was actually down a little.  Saturday was 131.4.  Starting weight was 133.

Day 5, 6, and 7 results:  MIXED

1. Empty a box: YES, YES, and YES
  2. Run 3 times a week:  Planned rest day, YES  (2+ miles, 19:40), Planned rest day
  3. Strength training 3 times a week:   Planned rest day, YES  (NF warm-up, NF gym level 4A, stretching session), Planned rest day
  4. 1 hike with elevation gain of 1000+ per week:  YES.  SUNDAY I went on a 4 mile RT hike with a 1200ft. gain.
  5. Eat 300 calories or less of candy and bad sugary food:  YES (only 70 calories of Reeses peanut butter cups), YES barely (half a chocolate milkshake), NO (went to an Italian themed potluck and was completely off my eating plan.)  On the plus side, this was a planned "off plan" event.  Much better than last time where I just went off the rails eating junk by myself the whole day.
  • Like 1

Day 8 Results (Monday):  GOOD!

5. Eat 300 calories or less of candy and bad sugary food:  YES  (I had Nerds, Butterfinger minis, and Snickers minis for 232 calories)
  • Like 3

Day 9 Results (Tuesday):  Mixed

2. Run 3 times a week:  YES  (2.3 miles, 20 min.)
  3. Strength training 3 times a week:  YES  (NF warm-up, NF gym level 4A, stretching session)
  5. Eat 300 calories or less of candy and bad sugary food:  NO.  Bummer.  I had a candy fest in the afternoon.  I think it was due to lack of sleep and stressing out over my house closing... trying to get my NJ house sold and the back and forth over inspection issues is getting to me.  (So here's the low down:  Mini candy bars were Snickers Almond, Butterfinger, Reeses PB cups, Nerds, and a butterscotch candy.  Total calories:  325  Plus... 200 calories of Jordan almonds.  The almonds are OK, but the sugar on top is not.)
  • Like 2