• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChangeAgent

New Ranger on the move...

Day 10 Results (Wednesday):  GOOD!

1. Empty a box: YES
  2. Run 3 times a week:  Planned rest day.
  3. Strength training 3 times a week:  Planned rest day.
  4. 1 hike with elevation gain of 1000+ per week:  Weekend Activity. 
  5. Eat 300 calories or less of candy and bad sugary food:  YES  (I had a butterscotch, 5 Jordan almonds, a chocolate chip cookie, and Snickers minis for 290 calories)
  • Like 2

Wow!  It's been a while since my last update!  My son came to visit me at my new place in Washington state (from New Jersey).  We did lots of fun things and ate lots of food that wasn't really on my plan.  That's OK, though.  I ate consciously and not out of control.  We got in a lot of exercise, too.  I'm going to go through my logs and attempt to make a status report on days 11-15 (Thursday through Monday).

1. Empty a box: YES, YES, YES, YES, YES (Believe it or not.... we went through some boxes and he helped me hang some wall items.)
  2. Run 3 times a week:  Planned rest day Thursday (airport run after work), YES Friday (2+ miles for 20:15), planned rest day Saturday,  YES Sunday (2 miles for 18:30), planned rest day Monday.
  3. Strength training 3 times a week:  Planned rest day Thursday (airport run after work), YES Friday (NF Level 4 workout + warm-up + stretch after), planned rest day Saturday,  YES Sunday (NF Level 4 workout + warm-up + stretch after), planned rest day Monday.
  4. 1 hike with elevation gain of 1000+ per week:  YES.  Saturday.  4 mile regular short hike with 1200 ft. elevation gain.
  5. Eat 300 calories or less of candy and bad sugary food:  Whelp.  Not good in the food department.  Here's the damage:  Thursday was Reeses, Nerds, and a butterscotch for 195 calories, but I also ate Jordan almonds and some batter fried maple bacon.  Friday was pretty good with food.  Chocolate chip cookies for 160 calories, but I also drank 3 glasses of wine.  Saturday I had dark chocolate sea salt caramels and more cookies for a whopping 500 calories.  Very bad.  Sunday was pretty good with food, dark chocolate sea salt caramels for 160 calories, but I also had a double margarita.  Monday was another candy fest.  Bad day.  Extra dark chocolate, mini butterfingers, a butterscotch, mini snickers, and mini Reeses for 470 calories.... plus a crème brulee dessert.  NOW it's time to get back on plan.  Good grief.  No wonder I'm feeling sluggish.
  • Like 2

Glad you had a nice visit with your son. Where did you hike? Good thing to note how you feel after you eat a bunch of sugary stuff. I find that paying attention to how food makes me feel is a good incentive to eat food that give my energy

17 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Glad you had a nice visit with your son. Where did you hike? Good thing to note how you feel after you eat a bunch of sugary stuff. I find that paying attention to how food makes me feel is a good incentive to eat food that give my energy

I go hiking locally when I want a short hike with elevation.  My "go to" short hike is Wilderness Peak on Cougar Mountain.  It does not have views, but a nice big log bench with a lovely inscription, as well as a log for visitors to write in.

I'm constantly trying to "fix" my problem with candy and sugar.  The only solution seems to be dropping all sugar for a couple weeks and "resetting".  That usually keeps me good for a few months.... but then the candy creeps back in.

• Like 1

Day 16 Results (Tuesday):  MIXED

2. Run 3 times a week:  YES.  2+ miles for 22:00.
  3. Strength training 3 times a week:  YES.  Warm up, NF Level 4A, stretch.
  5. Eat 300 calories or less of candy and bad sugary food:  ALMOST  (I had 3 chocolate cookies and some extra dark chocolate for 345 calories)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ChangeAgent said:

I go hiking locally when I want a short hike with elevation.  My "go to" short hike is Wilderness Peak on Cougar Mountain.  It does not have views, but a nice big log bench with a lovely inscription, as well as a log for visitors to write in.

I'm constantly trying to "fix" my problem with candy and sugar.  The only solution seems to be dropping all sugar for a couple weeks and "resetting".  That usually keeps me good for a few months.... but then the candy creeps back in.

I love Cougar Mountain. It is such a pretty area. I don't think I've done Wilderness Peak, at least I don't remember the log bench.

Sugar is such a hard dragon to fight. I like your plan of just keeping it under 300 calories. That way you are tracking it, and being aware. I struggle with it, in that once I eat sugar I just want MORE. But if I totally restrict it, that doesn't work, because then I just binge on it

• Like 1

Day 17 Results (Wednesday):  MIXED

5. Eat 300 calories or less of candy and bad sugary food:  ALMOST  (I only ate some Jordan almonds for 200 calories, which are not all bad calories because nuts are OK.... but then I had a piece of birthday cheesecake that put me way over.)  At least it wasn't candy and chocolate bars!
  • Like 1

Great news!  I defeated Lady MacBench and I'm moving on to NF Gym Level 5 this weekend!  Yay!

Day 18 Results (Thursday):  MIXED

2. Run 3 times a week:  YES.  2 miles for 18:45.
  3. Strength training 3 times a week:  YES.  Warm up, Lady MacBench Boss Battle, NF Level 4B, stretch.
  5. Eat 300 calories or less of candy and bad sugary food:  TECHNICALLY a YES, but....  (I didn't have any candy, but I had Jordan almonds, a glazed donut, and Doritos.  I never eat "bready" carbs.  Not sure what came over me.)
  • Like 1

If you go hiking today at Cougar Mountain, and you see a couple where the guy is super tall and the gal is a short blonde-that's me. We are planning on geocaching at Cougar today.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:16 AM, Elastigirl said:

If you go hiking today at Cougar Mountain, and you see a couple where the guy is super tall and the gal is a short blonde-that's me. We are planning on geocaching at Cougar today.

Sorry I missed you!  Actually, I went on a Meet-Up group hike to three lakes near Mt. Ranier on Sunday (Tipsoo, Dewey, and Anderson).  It was 11 miles with a 2000+ elevation gain.  It was beautiful!

IMG_2087.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

• Like 4

Wow!  It's been a while since my last update again!  I had a fun Labor Day weekend away from computers!  I'm going to go through my logs and attempt to make a status report on days 19-22 (Friday through Monday).

1. Empty a box: YES, YES, YES, YES  (I did a lot of box work and I can see progress in the final room that's loaded with them.)
  2. Run 3 times a week:  Planned rest day Friday, planned rest day Saturday, really long strenuous hike Sunday, YES Monday (2 miles for 18:50).
  3. Strength training 3 times a week:  Planned rest day Friday, planned rest day Saturday, really long strenuous hike Sunday, YES Monday (NF Level 5C workout + warm-up + stretch after).
  4. 1 hike with elevation gain of 1000+ per week:  YES.  Sunday.  Beautiful 11 mile hike with a 2000+ elevation gain to three lakes near Mt. Ranier on Sunday (Tipsoo, Dewey, and Anderson).  See previous post for pictures!
  5. Eat 300 calories or less of candy and bad sugary food:  Not great in the food department, but not bad either.  I've been going over on calories, but I've been exercising so much that the scale is still happy.  Weigh in was 132.2 this weekend.  Here's the food results:  Friday and Saturday and Sunday were great!  No sugar calories except some Jordan almonds!  Monday was not pretty.  We went on a long walk to an outside restaurant and it was beautiful... so we stayed and ate and ate and talked and talked.  It was really nice, but I had a glass of wine, some chocolate cake, some ice cream, and half a chocolate milkshake.  We shared everything, so it's hard to gauge the calorie count.
  • Like 2

Day 23 Results (Tuesday):  MIXED

2. Run 3 times a week:  YES.  2 miles for 18:45.
  3. Strength training 3 times a week:  YES.  Warm up, NF Level 5B, stretch.  This includes LOTS of assisted chin-ups which wiped out my arms!
  5. Eat 300 calories or less of candy and bad sugary food:  NO.  Off the rails with the mini-candies again.  I had (all mini versions) of Reeses PB cups, Nerds, Almond Snickers, and Twix, for 600 calories (OMG, Good Grief!) .... then throw in 15 Jordan almonds for 300 more.  At least the almonds are mostly nuts.
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:41 PM, ChangeAgent said:

Sorry I missed you!  Actually, I went on a Meet-Up group hike to three lakes near Mt. Ranier on Sunday (Tipsoo, Dewey, and Anderson).  It was 11 miles with a 2000+ elevation gain.  It was beautiful!

IMG_2087.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

So pretty!

Sorry if I've already asked you this, but do you track your calories for things besides candy? Are you sure you are eating enough? One of the things that leaves me very vulnerable to  overeating junk food is hunger. Is it mainly at work that you are snacking on candy? Maybe bring something healthy to snack on like nuts. Or make some of your own candy, with fake sugar or a bit less sugar, that you can snack on.

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Sorry if I've already asked you this, but do you track your calories for things besides candy? Are you sure you are eating enough? One of the things that leaves me very vulnerable to  overeating junk food is hunger. Is it mainly at work that you are snacking on candy? Maybe bring something healthy to snack on like nuts. Or make some of your own candy, with fake sugar or a bit less sugar, that you can snack on.

Yes.  I track everything.  My main goals are weight maintenance and strength building, with protein macro at or above 130g a day.  Since I used logging while losing weight, I know I log very accurately.  (My weight loss correlated with my logging results very well.)  I am generally quite active and I've been averaging around 2100 calories a day for the last month.  I'm about 5'7" and between 130-135lbs.

I have a psychological hiccup.... when I have it in my head that I want/need candy (knowing I really don't) and then I eat nuts or a healthy snack, it doesn't seem to matter.  The hunger goes away, but the craving just intensifies.  I try distracting myself any way I can.  The more physically busy I am, the less I crave sugar.  I think that's why my candy problem is mainly at work.  I'm at a desk a lot.  I've been trying to "walk around" when the cravings start, go talk to my employees, see the production floor, etc... to see if that works.  The jury is still out.  I've actually found some protein bars I really like (Quest Chocolate Chunk and Quest Chocolate Peanut Butter) and my new tact is to eat one of them to see if the sweetness is enough to quell the craving for candy.

Maybe I need to call myself a sugar addict and try quitting cold turkey (even though cold turkey would be fine to eat :)).

• Like 1

Day 24 Results (Wednesday):  MIXED

1. Empty a box: YES - really good progress here.  Got rid of 2 contractor bags of stuff I really don't need!
  5. Eat 300 calories or less of candy and bad sugary food:  MIXED.  I went over my daily calories by ALOT because we had a work celebration, but as far as candy and sugar is concerned, I wasn't too bad.  I had Nerds and Almond Snickers for 200 calories,  some Jordan almonds, and then a half a brownie and a few pastry bites at the celebration.
  • Like 1

Final challenge status report for days 25-28 (Thursday-Sunday). 

Overall, I did pretty well.  I didn't make it on the food, but even though I was over on calories and sugar, my weight stayed in range.  I am ending the challenge at 132.2.  It was enlightening to pay close attention to the sugar and candy and realize how much I actually eat, now comes the hard part of fixing the problem.  Everything else went great, including getting the boxes down to manageable.  I have the hard stuff to tackle during the next challenge.... sorting through the boxes that were untouched the whole time I was in my last house and just moved with me to this new place.  I need to be strong and get rid of things!

Here are the details of my last 4 days in this challenge:

1. Empty a box: YES, YES, YES, YES  (Only the OLD stuff left to sort through!)
  2. Run 3 times a week:  Planned rest day on Thursday, YES Friday (2 miles in record time!!!  17:55 and it felt great!), hike on Saturday and another hike on Sunday.
  3. Strength training 3 times a week:  Planned rest day on Thursday, YES Friday (NF Level 5A workout + warm-up + stretch after), rest day Saturday, and rest day Sunday for hikes.
  4. 1 hike with elevation gain of 1000+ per week:  YES.  2 of them!  Saturday and Sunday.  Beautiful hike to Lake Valhalla on Saturday for 7 miles and 1400 ft. gain, and a more local hike at Lord Hill Park for about 6.5 miles and 1000 ft. gain.
  5. Eat 300 calories or less of candy and bad sugary food:  Not great in the food department, but not bad either.  Weigh in was 132.2 again this weekend.  Here's the food results:  No good on Thursday.  I had Nerds, Butterfingers, and butterscotch hard candy for 260 calories, but then I also had a bunch of Girl Scout cookies and some Jordan almonds.  Friday was stellar!  No candy or sugar calories at all!!!  Saturday was pretty good.  No candy calories, but I had a chocolate milkshake.  Sunday was no good.  I had 4 cookies and 2 dark chocolate sea salt caramels for 500 calories.
  • Like 1