Scalyfreak reaches for the Power of Greyskull

Scaly Freak

On 8/9/2018 at 7:40 PM, scalyfreak said:

Reminder #1: Husband is still on your side. 

Reminder #2: Comfort food/alcohol still doesn't help.

Challenge #1: Rediscover Mindfulness. 

Challenge #2: Start, and stick with, a new lifting program.

First day of Week 2. I am going to make some changes, that makes the challenge goals more clear by being more detailed, and hopefully this will make them easier to follow. Fine tuning, for lack of a better term.

Reminder #1: Husband was supporting and helpful to me all of last week, and it is my turn to buff and heal now (I really liked the MMO comparison!). Started off with a strong high-level spell by spending a large portion of the evening troubleshooting and hopefully fixing the problem that has been causing his gaming computer to bluescreen far too often,  usually with horrible timing. Important detail: Remembering that he's on my side means I help him as well.

Reminder #2: Comfort food might not help, but it certainly tastes good. Looking back at Week 1, I've managed to eat lots of comfort food by camouflaging it as "lunch". This needs to stop, largely because lifting on inferior fuel is painful and inefficient.

Challenge #1: Meditating is having a positive effect on my overall attitude and ability to deal with all the little things in life that irritate and nag at me. I feel more balanced and centered, and less like all the emotions right underneath the surface are just waiting for a weak moment to surge up and take over. This new habit clearly is good for me, but I have it on good authority that will only continue to be the case if I meditate regularly. I will change this goal from "3 days per work week", to five days out of the seven in a week, and I will experiment with my morning routine to see what I can move around and/or change in order to make it easy to mediate every morning. I updated HabitBull to track meditation five days a week.

Challenge #2: The Power of Greyskull remains strong. However, it will be stronger if I actually go to the gym at least three times per week. To try and make sure this happens, I have made this goal a bit more clear and specified that I will go the gym on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, of each week. HabitBull has been updated to reflect this as well.

And now it's late and time for bed. :) 

• Like 3

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26

On 8/16/2018 at 3:15 PM, scalyfreak said:

Discussed the meditation in this week's session and I was told to actually think about what meditating does for me, and why I think it works. What do I notice around me, and inside me, that makes me think meditation is having a positive effect? Apparently effective therapy involves homework.

Let me know what you figure out, because I'm considering dropping my practice to see if I notice anything different.  I used to like the challenge of sitting still and not fidgeting for the time period, but it's not as hard as it used to be.  That means I'm getting better at it, which is theoretically good assuming that is something I want to be good at, but it makes it more boring.

Level 10 Vegetarian Vampire Warrior

STR: 16 DEX: 7 STA: 6 WIS: 46 CON: 27 CHA: 17

Intro | Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

On 8/19/2018 at 7:32 PM, scalyfreak said:

Meditating on the weekend is a challenge. Weekdays, I have crammed it into my standard morning routine, and that works out very well. On weekends I sleep in, and the "morning routine" is non-existent. This is not a good thing.

I must find a way to fix this.

Let me know what you figure out about that too.  Lol.  I hit the meditation easy on weekdays when I get up and do it first thing, but I have a hard time figuring out when to do it on weekends.  Since I sleep in a little, the baby is up by the time I am, and I don't feel like leaving her to momma so I can meditate.  So I normally end up meditating when she goes down for a nap in the middle of the day, if I'm not caught up in something else.  I missed my opportunity window this past Saturday and ended up having to meditate for twice as long on Sunday to make up for it.  I guess the arguable solution is "Don't sleep in on weekends," but it's kinda nice catching up on the zzz's a little.  I do find that I focus better when I do it when I first wake up though, so doing it in the mornings on weekend like I do during the week would be optimal.

17 hours ago, Grumble said:

That's totally fair. Can you start your day 10-15 minutes earlier and use that extra time for your medidation?

I second this idea.  That is what worked best for me during the week.  I originally tried getting up at 5 AM and doing a whole morning routine included yoga.  It was nice, and I enjoyed the quiet time for yoga, but 5 AM was too early and cutting into my sleep hours, which I need.  So I ended up just getting up 30 minutes early (6 AM instead of 6:30 AM) and using that half an hour to meditate 25 minutes.  Now if only I would standardize my time to wake up on weekends, rather than it being whenever I wake up, I could get up 30 minutes early then too.  For now, I'm just squeezing it in whenever during the weekend.

• Like 1

So this is not a cloud covering my city, this is smoke from the wildfires that happen every year around here. The entire local population is praying for strong winds from the east right now... manufacturers of asthma inhalers are raking in profits.

image.png.66aab0c3e48bd66e76bd3f35ab801839.png

This sucks.

• Sad 2

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26

On 8/21/2018 at 9:16 AM, MaD MaLKaV said:

Let me know what you figure out about that too.  

What worked for me was to plan stuff for weekend days, so my morning had a schedule/structure you can fit meditation into.For Saturday this weekend, I had a mid-morning commitment that I could take care of at my computer, while wearing pajamas (fantasy foootball draft). For Sunday, I had a mid-morning commitment for a major event for a local organisation I volunteer for, a half-hour drive away.

Sunday, I did proper breakfast, coffee, meditation, dog walk, and got to the event on time. So I am now thinking I need to make firm plans for all weekend mornings, so I can get meditation done. Plans that involve getting out of the house, which in turn require me to dress in real clothes, and brush my hair and teeth.

Other updates from Week 2:

Reminder #1: Yep. Unsurprisingly, talking to each other about why we are stressed and what we need, keeps things balanced.

Reminder #2: Improvement from last week, but still not ideal or even close to ideal. At this rate, I'm going to actually have to make food a major focus of an upcoming challenge. Yuck.

Challenge #1: Oh yes very much killing it on this one. I fully plan to make this a part of my daily routine. Meditating makes me feel grounded, and my emotions start the day at a much lower explosiveness level than when I don't meditate. This is good for everyone, but most importantly, for me. It makes me feel better, and this should absolutely not under any circumstances ever be taken lightly.

Challenge #2: Once again I failed to make it to the gym on Wednesday. In my defense, I had to get up two hours earlier than usual, in order to be at work two hours earlier than usual. The hour I normally would have spent at work, was spent napping. On Friday I was exhausted and not feeling it but went anyway, and I'm very glad I did. Very hard, but very good workout, with huge mental benefits.

Image result for heman greyskull gif

• Like 3

It's the end of Week 3 already? Yikes. Okay. Here's the next update:

Reminder #1: Yes. Still working out well, as long as I remember to actually reach out and make him a part of things.  I'm so much a Lone Warrior I was surprised my picture wasn't next to the explanation in the book NF sent me when I signed up. :P

I'm getting better at it though (have I mentioned that seeing a therapist really is helping with all sorts of things?). Since we're currently celebrating the anniversary of my moving to the US, I'm in the process of cooking a prime rib roast to show him how much I appreciate that he's always on my side.

Reminder #2: I'm doing much better with the alcohol. This is good, so in order to make up for actually making progress  in this area, I have eaten lots of ice cream and candy this entire week. So... yeah. As much as I hate the thought, food really needs to become a focus in the near future, specifically, what not to eat. For now, I will continue to focus on not sabotaging things for myself by overindulging in either ice cream, wine, whiskey, or candy.

Challenge #1: I am close to finished with all the free meditation sessions in Headspace, and as great as they are, I am not really wild about their subscription fees. Honestly, they seem unjustifiably high for me, since the only give me a year's access for the money, and not lifetime. Yes, I know they have a lifetime option. No, I'm not willing to pay them $400. :rolleyes:

Since meditation has turned out to be the most awesome thing ever, I'm now on the hunt for other apps that can help me keep up this habit. I'm too scattered all over the place to manage meditating without an app that walks em through it (I have tried), so books are no help. Suggestions are welcome and appreciated. 

Challenge #2: The Power of Greyskull remains strong. With my usual outstanding sense of timing and situational awareness, I change my goal to go to the gym on Mon-Wed-Fri, and change Habitbull to match, right before the weekly Wednesday 6:00 AM meeting series started at work. this means I had to get up two hours earlier than usual, to be at work two hours earlier than usual, in order to attend a conference call with, among others, colleagues in East Asia. Unsurprisingly, by Wednesday evening I was exhausted, ready for a nap, and not in any condition to do anything more strenuous than feeding myself and falling into bed. So after the first week, I changed Habitbull back to "any three days of the week", and went to the gym on Thursday evening instead, and again on Saturday.

And on Saturday I successfully squatted a full three sets of five with 105 lbs, which is the highest ever for me, so that made me feel awesome. :)

Image result for greyskull i have the power gif

• Like 4

7 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Since meditation has turned out to be the most awesome thing ever, I'm now on the hunt for other apps that can help me keep up this habit. I'm too scattered all over the place to manage meditating without an app that walks em through it (I have tried), so books are no help. Suggestions are welcome and appreciated, since 

I have a few you tube guided meditations that I like, there's lot of stuff available there. I just pick the one I want, put on my head phones and that's that. This is one of my go-tos fwiw

7 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

And on Saturday I successfully squatted a full three sets of five with 105 lbs, which is the highest ever for me, so that made me feel awesome. :)

BOOM.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
13 hours ago, RedStone said:

I have a few you tube guided meditations that I like, there's lot of stuff available there. I just pick the one I want, put on my head phones and that's that. This is one of my go-tos fwiw

I tried that video this morning and I liked it. I think I would have liked it a lot more if my laptop had not chimed in with alerts at least a dozen times through the video! Looking at that channel there is a lot of potential though, so I'm going to give it another try, but on my phone this time to avoid the alerts. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I tried that video this morning and I liked it. I think I would have liked it a lot more if my laptop had not chimed in with alerts at least a dozen times through the video! Looking at that channel there is a lot of potential though, so I'm going to give it another try, but on my phone this time to avoid the alerts. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah totally, I do it on my phone where all alerts are silent pretty much always. Enjoy!

So apparently Week 4 is over. Having everything in your life absorbed by a Stress Monster boss fight apparently can distract you from noticing things like this.

So here is my last update for this challenge, a little bit late.

Reminder #1: I remembered! And I am so very grateful. Boys and girls, note for future reference that months like this is why we are not single. All the fun and good times are great, but the real reason to have a life partner is so that when we are corned by whatever kinds of monsters stalk our lives, we can face that monster with the knowledge that we have this one person who will step up and stand right next to us against whatever kind of shit it was that just hit the fan. And the monsters become smaller and weaker when we face them together.

Reminder #2: EPIC FAIL. Somewhere along the lines of this challenge my brain decided that since I was trying to avoid comfort food, and bourbon isn't comfort food, it was perfectly okay to drink lots of bourbon. This will be addressed in future challenges.

Challenge #1: Yes! I have discovered that Mindfulness caused by regular meditation is a powerful buff that increases Endurance and boots health points in boss fights. I have managed to fit meditation into my morning routine by skipping my 15 minutes of morning NF forum time, and spending that time on meditating instead. Totally worth it, especially this month.

Challenge #2: The power of Greyskull is real. I LIKE this program. Fewer sets and three minutes between them means I can push myself to lift heavier and I am noticing clear gains in strength, if not in bulk. New PR on squat and Deadlift, and I am happy and plan to keep going with this.

Also, barbells are fantastic weapons against Stress Monsters. The act simple of grabbing one acts as a ranged attack that takes about 10-15% of the Stress Monster's health in one hit, with a high percentage chance of debuffing its main attack attribute, so it does less damage. :) 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 3:12 PM, scalyfreak said:

Since meditation has turned out to be the most awesome thing ever, I'm now on the hunt for other apps that can help me keep up this habit. I'm too scattered all over the place to manage meditating without an app that walks em through it (I have tried), so books are no help. Suggestions are welcome and appreciated. 

Sorry I'm so late replying, but you may want to try the Insight Timer app.  I just use it for the timer, but it has a catalog of some insane number of free guided meditations.  I just checked, it's over 10,000 meditations, and it's all free.