• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GeekWingChun

How many "geeks" are at your martial arts school?

Long before I settled on Wing Chun as my style of choice, I visited many schools and took free trial lessons. Sometimes they would even let you have a couple free classes. During those times, I got to know the other students. When I joined Wing Chun, I realized something about the majority of my classmates: we were all geeks in our own way. Specifically, there were a lot of people who were either engineers or going to college for physics. This was something I had NOT noticed about the students from the other schools. I have often wondered what it is about Wing Chun that draws this kind of mentality. Maybe I will never know, but it did inspire me to pose the question in the subject line of this topic.

A lot.  A lot.

I once spent an entire party at my dojo with a guy geeking out about Tolkien and Lord of the Rings.  Another guy is a super big math nerd.  I'm, well, me.  Everyone definitely has the geeky things they squee about.  And part of it is we are in a university town, and there are a lot of PhD/student people in my dojo.

But honestly, I feel like most dojos have pretty big Nerd populations (especially if you have a dojo that skews a bit older).

My old dojo at school, Pretty much everybody.  The karate place I'm at now has a lot of kids and their parents so less so. Although the other twenty somethings are pretty nerdy 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:33 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

A lot.  A lot.

I once spent an entire party at my dojo with a guy geeking out about Tolkien and Lord of the Rings.  Another guy is a super big math nerd.  I'm, well, me.  Everyone definitely has the geeky things they squee about.  And part of it is we are in a university town, and there are a lot of PhD/student people in my dojo.

But honestly, I feel like most dojos have pretty big Nerd populations (especially if you have a dojo that skews a bit older).

I have seen it only at the Wing Chun school really. When I checked out Tae Kwon Do and Karate, they were full of the big brawny jock types.

The only other time I met a nerd at a non-WC school was when a guy in my Judo class (the first martial art I studied) asked me, "Who is John Galt?" That is the opening line of Ayn Rand's ATLAS SHRUGGED. I was stunned.

22 hours ago, Legionary said:

My old dojo at school, Pretty much everybody.  The karate place I'm at now has a lot of kids and their parents so less so. Although the other twenty somethings are pretty nerdy 

That's amazing. Around here, all Karate schools seem to have the aggressive types. I'm not saying they are like Cobra Kai, but...well, they aren't like me either. LOL

13 minutes ago, GeekWingChun said:

I have seen it only at the Wing Chun school really. When I checked out Tae Kwon Do and Karate, they were full of the big brawny jock types.

See, the TKD people I know are complete dorks.

Then again, maybe I'm biased.  Most of the NF people I hang out with regularly are pretty much pegged always as the "Big Brawny jock" types on the first pass (and when we're all lifting or engaging in a physical activity sometimes the conversation can swing that direction), but once over that hump it's pretty evident that we are all huge nerds.  But more than once someone has negatively commented how Nerds are Big Bad Jocks and how terrible we are, just going on the stereotype pass.

• Haha 1

The TKD/Muay Thai school we attend has a reasonable percentage, including some of the teachers. When I took Cardio KBox there initially, I wore a lot of nerdy T-shirts to class (no uniforms). I frequently got into conversations about whatever comic book character was on the shirt. Or D&D when I wore my Garycon shirts.

The jiu-jitsu instructor left to start his on school (on friendly terms) about a year and a half ago. Apparently he runs a semi-regular D&D night that his former co-workers frequently attend. The younger teachers are heavily into console gaming as well. 

• Like 1

My current class situation is a little weird. The only regular class I attend is primarily preteens and teens(I help coach the kids class before this one, and stay to workout/help teach). A lot of them seem to be into console gaming. Some of the people I trained with in the past are into comics and rpgs(these are my people). Taijiquan seems to attract musicians(also my people), and a lot of the I Liq Chuan people I've met have been bodyworkers. The couple that runs the school where I help coach teach kung fu basics and swprd at GenCon every year.