• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Baxtan

Baxtan Drops Hot - Fornite Challenge

Its time to re-enter this Battle Royale called life, drop hot and go to battle.  

Yes… this is a respawn of sorts, and yes… this is going to be a dun dun dun, Fornite inspired challenge!

As some of you may recall ( @Laghail, @Endor) I returned to NF this past January with some weight loss and other goals in mind and I actually did quite well.  Lost some pounds and got lifting on a consistent basis. Well I believe I underestimated how much of an impact you all were having on me and I kind of disappeared from the forums, and so did my effort in weight loss and working out.

Now I am climbing back into the battle with three things I want to accomplish.  Those goals are…

#1 - Purchasing an Epic Skin - Weight Loss - I am back at roughly 234lbs after dropping from 240 -> 226, Jan -> March at the start of this year. Would like to lose around 1% of my bodyweight per week, which would be around 2.3lbs but I’ll be happy to see a pound a week loss for this first challenge, anything else will be bonus!

#2 - Getting full shields - Eating Healthier - I have basically been eating whatever I wanted since March and to eat healthy this time around I am basically going to keep it simple.  Cut out obvious junk foods and eat solid meals everyday. Solid meals to me look like, a source of protein, healthier carb source (white rice/yam) and some veggies. Snacks will come in the form of almonds or fruit, and typical breakfast will be eggs and either turkey bacon or bacon bacon.  

#3 - Looting a Golden Scar - 5/3/1 - Get back to a consistent workout schedule.  My workouts have dropped off the radar which doesnt help weight loss efforts. I am starting up 5/3/1 again since one day I’d still like to hit up a powerlifting meet.  I also may throw in some rowing here and there as I have a Concept 2 rower sitting in my garage gym, and this may sound crazy, but I actually kind of enjoy rowing lmao.

Official weigh in will come the morning of August 13th.  

I welcome anyone who wants to come a long for the ride, and all Fornite memes and memes in general are open season.  

Look forward to getting back into this awesome community again!

Image result for fortnite meme

• Like 5

Well I suppose you all deserve a bit of an update since it's been radio silence since the start of the challenge, so here goes. 

This past week went decent in some areas and a straight up failure in others. 

Weight Loss/Eating Healthier - I managed to not eat like an asshole most of the week which resulted in my weight going from 237.3 -> 235.7 which is a 1.6lb loss. So that's good.  And when I say "not eat like an asshole" I mean that there was not much of the regular junk I would generally shove into my body and more whole foods.  It wasn't perfect, but it's a start. 

Working Out - This is where I went off the rails.  Literally ZERO work outs done.  My wife and I took the dogs for a walk yesterday afternoon but was about the only physical activity that happened this past week.  

This past week was a bit of a mashup for me.  The work week went decently well despite being at work on my 35th birthday (August 14th).  It was that day that I some realized there must be some fondness that my coworkers have for me as most brought in some form of food to share for a birthday celebration.  The next day, 15th, seen me work a full day and then turn around and have a bit of a stressful job interview.  No I am not changing careers, just trying to help out locally.  The 16-17th, Thurs-Fri, were write offs.  I went to work, came home and just chilled with the wife.  It seems that when I have stuff going on outside of work, or even the smallest stressor I tend to shut down certain areas of my life, working out being one of them.  It's not the first time I have had this realization and it is something I try to work on daily.  I need to shut off that little voice in my head saying "fuck this" after a stressful day and just need to push on into my work out and THEN relax.  I cannot recall a time that I regretted working out and nearly always regret missing work outs.  Just gotta put on the blinders and run through that wall I suppose... sometimes it's easier said then done. 

With the past rant out of the way I am implementing a new check to this challenge to give me a visual representation of my progress (credit @Rurik Harrgath ) 

Enjoy. 

Epic Skin Loot - Lose 1#/week for four weeks. (Starting Weight: 237.3# / Week One Weight: 235.7#) ☐☐☐

Shields UP - Eat better 5/7 days a week. ☐☐☐☐☐

Golden Scar Upgrade - Work out 4x a week. ☐☐☐☐

• Like 1

Yer not dead!

3 hours ago, Baxtan said:

Weight Loss/Eating Healthier - I managed to not eat like an asshole most of the week which resulted in my weight going from 237.3 -> 235.7 which is a 1.6lb loss. So that's good.  And when I say "not eat like an asshole" I mean that there was not much of the regular junk I would generally shove into my body and more whole foods.  It wasn't perfect, but it's a start. 

almost 2 lbs in a week with ZERO WORKOUTS? That's a damn sight better than "a start".

Working Out - This is where I went off the rails.  Literally ZERO work outs done.  My wife and I took the dogs for a walk yesterday afternoon but was about the only physical activity that happened this past week.  

Call it a recovery week. And sometimes the recovery isn't physical recovery, but mental.

It seems that when I have stuff going on outside of work, or even the smallest stressor I tend to shut down certain areas of my life, working out being one of them.  It's not the first time I have had this realization and it is something I try to work on daily. 

Have you talked to the wife about this? Can you get support from her? Use the tools you have available. You see that you need to work on this, take advantage of what you have available.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2018 at 8:00 AM, Baxtan said:

(credit @Rurik Harrgath )

200.gif

On 8/20/2018 at 8:00 AM, Baxtan said:

It seems that when I have stuff going on outside of work, or even the smallest stressor I tend to shut down certain areas of my life, working out being one of them.  It's not the first time I have had this realization and it is something I try to work on daily.  I need to shut off that little voice in my head saying "fuck this" after a stressful day and just need to push on into my work out and THEN relax.  I cannot recall a time that I regretted working out and nearly always regret missing work outs.  Just gotta put on the blinders and run through that wall I suppose... sometimes it's easier said then done.

You and me both, brother.  The post-workout endorphins and sense of accomplishment are always worth it, but sometimes it's so hard to go through the effort to even get there.  I'm starting to think it's worth it just to get there and go through the motions, even if it's half or significantly lower effort.  At least it would still be something, I guess!

• Like 1

Well time to write the update for this week lol.  

I will have an official weigh on, as always, on Monday but I did a bit of an unofficial weigh in this morning and it seems that my weight has gone down again woot woot!  That's definitely a good thing as once again I did not get in any work outs for this week and TBH ate not that strictly lmao. 

Onto working out.  I was speaking with a friend of mine and we were talking about a phenomenon that seems to happen to some people when exposed to greater training volumes.  So for example, at one point I was going to a Crossfit affiliate for a number of years, not steadily, and not consistent, but enough to increase my aerobic capacity and change in my mind what I "think" or "feel" is a workout.  Then I followed that up with having my programming written for me by a coach, and although it was geared more towards powerlifting the volume was still up there.  Now when I try to do programs such as "531" or StrongLifts, or even just a regular bodybuilding split they all seem lackluster.  It's something I'll look into for the future.  

So onto week 3 and although I am hitting some of my weight loss goals I would still like to get back into the habit of working out again.  September 1st I have a "work out date" with my former coach at his gym about an hour away from me.  Go out there, hang out, chat and just lift some weights.  Should be a good time and we will see what comes out of that.  

On 8/20/2018 at 11:36 AM, Grumble said:

Have you talked to the wife about this? Can you get support from her? Use the tools you have available. You see that you need to work on this, take advantage of what you have available.

I have't really even thought about speaking to the wife about this or what that would even look like.  I have always heard of people getting support from spouses or significant others when it comes to working out and other endeavors but when they are not directly associated or involved in the activity itself I have a hard time making that connection. What does that look like to you Grumble? 

On 8/21/2018 at 11:06 AM, Rurik Harrgath said:

You and me both, brother.  The post-workout endorphins and sense of accomplishment are always worth it, but sometimes it's so hard to go through the effort to even get there.  I'm starting to think it's worth it just to get there and go through the motions, even if it's half or significantly lower effort.  At least it would still be something, I guess!

It is definitely SOMETHING.  I have always found that even if I have to force myself on a shitty mental day to get into the gym and go at even 60% of my normal output I still walk away feeling better than before.  Progress is progress no matter how small each step is.  

• Like 1

On 8/25/2018 at 4:28 PM, Baxtan said:

Progress is progress no matter how small each step is. 

How I feel motivating someone on the internet (or even in person):

anigif_sub-buzz-1434-1480293770-2.gif?do

• Like 1

On 8/25/2018 at 2:28 PM, Baxtan said:

I have't really even thought about speaking to the wife about this or what that would even look like.  I have always heard of people getting support from spouses or significant others when it comes to working out and other endeavors but when they are not directly associated or involved in the activity itself I have a hard time making that connection. What does that look like to you Grumble? 

It's amazing how often we forget we have other people that care about us and want to help when we think we can't help ourselves.

To me it has historically looked like getting frustrated and waiting for my SO to ask whats wrong. Recently, and part of my greater success has been acknowledging that I don't live in a vacuum and engaging my wife who, admittedly, wants to be supportive of me, and talking to her about not only what I want to change, but what looks realistic for me and my family. I'm not a competitor, I don't get paid to workout, so I have to account for my fitness and personal health without sacrificing the family health and well being. It's worked out pretty well so far.

• Like 1