• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ravis

Ravis' Rehab and Reclaimation

Rebels!

It's been a while since I've taken part of a challenge! Big shout out to @spezzy for encouraging me to get back here and regain some accountability and drive. 

giphy.gif

Putting it down in words and in a public forum makes it real.  It's been all to easy for me to be like "oh I'm working to this" and then write off or change things because it wasn't tangible.

On JUL 27, I had surgery on my shoulder to repair a tear in my bicep. It had actually happened in December, but it was "just a twinge" and "didn't hurt that much," so I kept putting it off.  This went on until June, then I pretty much stopped working out for a while, especially once I got my MRI. I lost my motivation to work out in general (there was still plenty I could do and just not use that shoulder, but I just didn't).  This challenge comes at a perfect time - I was just authorized for physical activity again today.  I've signed back up at the gym since I really can only use dumbbells and machines (I've been doing Crossfit for the last 10 months - no, the injury isn't from that, it's from me not listening to my body or my coaches).  What better way to start back up and keep on track than to join this challenge!

The main goal for this one for me is to get my nutrition back in line and minimize any strength losses where I can during the course of my recovery. I need to remember to listen to my doc/PT and let myself heal - and to hold myself back from my ego.

Here are my goals:

Eating to plan: # completed half days / 52 - There are 28 days in the challenge, which means 56 half days.  Doing half days for me is great, because even if I mess up early in the day, I don't lose motivation to eat well the rest of the day. Or if I know I'm going to have an off-plan meal, then I'm not tempted to eat like crap the rest of the day because I'm already going to be off plan later. This incorporates 4 off plan half days over the course of the challenge, so my goal is to have 52 half days of on plan eating

Lifts: # completed / 16 - I plan on lifting 4x a week each week. 

Cardio: # completed / 12 - I plan on doing cardio 3x a week each week

Physical Therapy: # completed / 4 - Once a week

Rehab: # completed / 28 - Work my shoulder mobility per my doctor's instructions daily

Personal Training: # completed / 4 - Once a week

Non-fitness challenge: Find a side hustle that I enjoy doing and can do on the evenings and/or weekends! Start my search for a therapist that I click with!

I'm also getting a DEXA scan done at the end of the challenge, too, so that'll be the real test to seeing how I stuck to everything!

Can't wait to kick this off with y'all!!!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Grymm said:

Interesting concept with the half-day tracking.  How do you split that?  Breakfast/Lunch then Rest of Day?  

I typically do by hour. I have to be up super early for work, so I usually split the day at like 11 :)

I just know I'm too all-or-nothing for me to do whole days, so breaking it up will allow me to stay on track and minimize damage.

• Like 1

Bummer about the shoulder! Good on you to finally get it handled. I'm no stranger to the DB only route, and over time I've come to really love it, along with post rehab stabilization work... but yeah, that was after a good stretch of zero interest/motivation/joy in working out in such a limited way. What does your PT look like? Also hi ^_^ 

giphy.gif 

• Like 1

I do so loves me new warriors. Welcome! (back)

Related image
(you still get a cheer)

I'm just a shade over 3 years post shoulder surgery from an injury I ignored for far too long, and good on you for getting your PT going sooner rather than later. Just don't go crazy and take backwards steps. Also love the idea of half days, kinda wish I had come across this idea (WHERE WERE YOU WHEN WE NEEDED YOU) earlier before I finally got something that works for me, but it's definitely something to file away for future reference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

I'm just a shade over 3 years post shoulder surgery from an injury I ignored for far too long, and good on you for getting your PT going sooner rather than later. Just don't go crazy and take backwards steps. Also love the idea of half days, kinda wish I had come across this idea (WHERE WERE YOU WHEN WE NEEDED YOU) earlier before I finally got something that works for me, but it's definitely something to file away for future reference.

Yeah, I'm being SUPER careful when I lift now. Machines and DB's only, absolutely nothing on my right side. It's crazy how much core strength is needed to mute out movements on the left side!  Haha, I'm glad you like the half day method! Hopefully, it'll help a couple people while they try to figure out what works for them :D

I'm super full from dinner, so I'm going to go ahead and post my numbers for today:

Eating to plan: 2/52 

Lifts: 1 / 16 - All dem legs! 

Cardio: 0 / 12 - I plan on doing cardio 3x a week each week

Physical Therapy: 0 / 4 - I was able to book a PT for every Tuesday morning for the next month! Was super excited to be able to get in with one on such quick notice!

Rehab: 1 / 28 - I need to not put this off. I usually have plenty of time during the day and it takes 5 minutes. Not sure why I held off so long today

Personal Training: 0 / 4 - Meeting with a perspective one tomorrow!

I also put in three resumes today, too!

• Like 2

Day 2!!

So, I've booked both my Physical Therapist and Personal Trainer for Tuesdays for the next month. It's meant to be a big self-care day for myself during the week. 

Eating to plan: 4/52 - I went to a gaymer trivia night at a bar close to my place last night. I'd typically have a drink or two because of social anxiety, but I stuck to water.

Lifts: 1 / 16 -  I thought my session with my trainer would be a lift (see below), so I shifted my schedule a little and adapted, still on track for my 4x lifts this week.

Cardio: 1 / 12 - going to snag another during lunch today since my work load is pretty light right now.

Physical Therapy:1 / 4 - The first visit to the PT and there was a lot of baselining.  RIght off the bat, she was impressed with my range of motion and my strength.  Who knows, recovery time might be shorter than expected (total planned for 3 months)! While I won't be rushing it, I'm going to listen to my doctor and my PT and NOT my ego, as tempting as that is. 

Rehab: 2 / 28 

Personal Training: 1 / 4 -  OMG. So, I'm back at my old gym and signing back up came with 4 sessions with a trainer.  The one I got paired with I've known for years.  The first words out of his mouth were "Look, I know you can do heavy weight, that's great. That's not what we're going to focus on."  We did lots of stabilization and core work (easily my weakest area) and holy shit everything hurts this morning - but like in a good way.

This challenge came at the perfect time.  I had put on some "relationship weight" over the 5 months I was with my (now ex) boyfriend. I had also gotten complacent with my phyical activity beyond what was injury related. I had forgotten how much better I feel physically when I eat to plan and lift. So while I'm definitely still dealing with the emotional side of the breakup (10 days ago), it's good to be in a positive place physically and have the daily rush of endorphins.  I swear the gym is as good as therapy in some situations. :D

• Like 2

OOOOOOOOOOFFFFFF meetings all day should never be a thing. Why are they a thing?

End of Day 3:

Eating to plan: 6/52 -  I'm heading to an art exhibit tonight with another NF person tonight. Even their cocktails are interactive, so I'm leaving myself a cushion in my carbs macro so I don't go over :fat:

Lifts: 2 / 16 -  omg, my thigh DOMS was REAL yesterday. Kept waking myself up whenever I tried to move my legs when I was asleep last night.

Cardio: 2 / 12 

Physical Therapy:1 / 4 

Rehab: 3 / 28 

Personal Training: 1 / 4  

It's only been three days, but just the act of eating to plan and working out again has me feeling SO MUCH BETTER physically. It's crazy, I just got stuck in this downward cycle of reverting for old, self abusive food habits and not working out and to break out of that is just....freeing. 

• Like 3

End of Day 4:

Eating to plan: 8/52  

Lifts: 3 / 16 

Cardio: 2 / 12 

Rehab: 4 / 28 

Things are just rockin' and rollin' so far! I'm already starting to notice physical changes, too!  It's amazing how quickly the body adjusts when you actually give it what it needs. I'll snag a pic on sunday to show the full week. Well, it'd be my pre-surgery vs. 4 weeks later but only 1 week of being solid with my lifts and nutrition. Speaking of, I technically only have 1 more lift to hit my 4x goal for this week. Now that I'm finally able to get back in and do it - and more importantly - have the motivation to want to go in, it's super hard for me to scale back. As long as I continue to be careful about my shoulder and listen to my body, I'll be fine. I just can't get ahead of myself - that'd lead to not great things for my recovery.

Last night was also the first night since the breakup that I've been able to go to sleep without the TV on.  I rarely ever slept with it on before, but found the quiet was the perfect playground for my brain to go into overdrive and start overanalyzing things that don't need to be analyzed. So this is a much needed and welcome step forward :). 

• Like 2

End of Day 5:

Eating to plan: 10/52  

Lifts: 4 / 16 - week 1 goal complete!

Cardio: 3 / 12 - week 1 goal complete!

Physical Therapy:1 / 4 - week 1 goal complete!

Rehab: 5 / 28 

Personal Training: 1 / 4  - week 1 goal complete!

Taking today to clean and rest.  It's the first time since my surgery that I've been both motivated and able to clean and man it feels good to have a fresh apartment. Almost like another kind of respawn (to go along with my nutritional one, my gym one, and my dating one), haha!  

• Like 1

End of Day 6:

Eating to plan: 12/52  

Lifts: 4 / 16 - week 1 goal complete!

Cardio: 3 / 12 - week 1 goal complete!

Physical Therapy:1 / 4 - week 1 goal complete!

Rehab: 6 / 28 

Personal Training: 1 / 4  - week 1 goal complete!

For all intents and purposes, week 1 in the books!  Having rested and cleaned yesterday, I'm thinking about doing some lifting today because there's so much time and I have 0 things to do, haha. 

So, here we go. The two on the left are the morning of my surgery, 27 JUL. 205lbs, 17.7% bf according to my scale. 2 months of not really working out, more so of not really tracking my macros. The two on the right - 1 week of focusing on both with laser like intensity. 193.5, 14.5%. Yes, I might have lost some weight during the two weeks after surgery where I really didn't have an appetite, but stabilizing back at 190-195ish is motivating, that's where I was when I was at my peak body image confidence (which has always been an issue coming from 280lbs).

Week 2, bring it on!

4B1610AA-0F17-408F-975A-F8774187BEAB.thumb.jpg.5a1651e02004d1204528a94121d75ae2.jpg

• Like 1

End of Day 8:

Eating to plan: 15/52  - While I stayed within my caloric limits on sunday, my macros were way fracked up. Grabbed lunch with some friends I hadn't seen in a while and it was totally worth it :).

Lifts: 6 / 16 

Cardio: 5 / 12 

Rehab: 8 / 28 

Today is PT Tuesday!  Session with my physical therapist in an hour and then a session with my trainer this afternoon. Looking forward to really getting into my session with my therapist since last time was basically just baselining. I am ready to make some strides forward!  

Re: Lunch sunday. This is something former Ryan would have skipped because he knew he'd go off plan.  I spent so much of my time on this journey avoiding time out with my friends purely because they wanted to grab pizza or a beer (or 5) or something of the like, and when I did go off plan, I was so incredibly hard on myself, so unforgiving. I'd severely under eat the following day or two to "make up" for the extra calories I had taken in. Overdone cardio to "balance it out." It took a long time for me to realize that one meal won't undo years of work. One drink won't make that 90lbs magically come back. The important thing is that I enjoyed that time with my friends and that I didn't blow the tires out just because I had one off-plan meal. Just jump right back on the horse after you finish up and get back to it :)

• Like 4

End of Day 8:

Eating to plan: 17/52  

Lifts: 6 / 16 - I'm front loading these because I'll be traveling this weekend and the tail end of next week. Not that traveling will prohibit me from working out, but I don't want to feel stressed to do so if I'm not up for it.

Cardio: 5 / 12  - same as above.

Physical Therapy:2 / 4  

Rehab: 8 / 28 

Personal Training: 2 / 4  

PT (both) were fantastic.  I'm starting to work on some (very very light) strength on my shoulder/arm and my trainer kicked my butt. Again, without much weight.  It was all hip position and core engagement and holyomg, my lifts are going to be so much better once I'm all healed!  

So,  on my last day as a 35 year old, I thought it important to jot down some of the lessons that I learned this year. There were a lot, largely with a central theme, but I'm looking forward to continuing to put these into practice and seeing what I learn at 36!

• Always listen to your body, not your ego. Pushing yourself is fantastic, driving yourself into the ground - not so much.
  • Bodies are and always will be weird and amazing. Nourish it and give it what it needs, not what whatever this crazy new fad diet tells you to.
  • Even if it ends with pain, love is *always* worth it. You'll never regret telling someone you love them, you will regret it if you don't.
  • Take the time you need to heal - whether it be physically or emotionally. Sometimes that takes the temporary pain of removing whatever it was from your life until you do so you can come back and build that back up with a solid, healthy foundation.
  • Focus on what you can control, it helps you deal with the chaos of the things you can't. Putting your efforts into something you have no effect on will drive you crazy and exhaust you.
  • Embrace and trust the process. Achieving your goals doesn't happen overnight. It takes time and consistency.
  • Call people. Texting is great and I usually rely on it, but there's something to be said for hearing someone you love laugh.
  • And finally, no matter how difficult it may be, *always* be kind and forgiving to yourself. You have to be with yourself 24/7, don't make it harder by being a dick.
  • Like 1

Solid life lessons at any age.  Might I add:

1.  Don't catastrophize.  Sometimes things hurt (knees, lower back, etc) that aren't injured.  Give it a little time, feel it out. 

2.  Prioritize sleep.  Getting solid regular sleep is a vast life improvement people don't know they are missing out on.

3.  Don't parking space hunt.  Save your time.  Someone probably needs that prime spot more than you do, and a few extra steps are probably good for you.

I had a lot of fun at 36.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grymm said:

I had a lot of fun at 36.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

My 4 days at 36 so far have been really good. Maybe you're on to something.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grumble said:

My 4 days at 36 so far have been really good. Maybe you're on to something.

It's a good year.  Also, I have a thing for highly factorable numbers. 2²*3²

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

End of Day 9:

Eating to plan: 19/52  - having some friends over for board games and wine tonight, so, I’m saving plenty of carbs to cover that

Lifts: 7 / 16 - I'm front loading these because I'll be traveling this weekend and the tail end of next week. Not that traveling will prohibit me from working out, but I don't want to feel stressed to do so if I'm not up for it.

Cardio: 5 / 12  - same as above.

Physical Therapy:2 / 4  

Rehab: 9 / 28 

I love working with macros instead of elimination diets. It allows me to be a lot more flexible depending on what’s going on that day, plus I’ve seen so much progress (pre surgery) using macros/flexible dieting. Basically, pick something that works for you! Not every diet is made for every person, you’re not weak willed if you’re having trouble following a specific eating plan. It might just be that that one isn’t for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

End of Day 13:

Eating to plan: 23/26  -  hooooboy, my weekend down in Richmond for my birthday was a lot of fun. Not on track at all, but definitely a blast.  This basically means I'll need to go the last weekend of the challenge 100% to plan (which actually won't be hard, but it's just making sure I have a plan in place and I execute it.

Lifts: 10 / 16 -  I'm seriously loving being back in the gym. It's once again become my sanctuary. I know when I go, I'll always feel better than when I went in. DAT ENDORPHIN RUSH DOE! 

Cardio: 7 / 12  -  Before, I'd think 3 cardio sessions in a week was a lot, but I think I just like having the time to throw something on netflix on my iPad and just go on auto pilot. Pretty much sticking to the elliptical because it's easier to mute out a lot of movement to my shoulder if I just use my legs.

Physical Therapy: 2 / 4  

Rehab: 12 / 13 - I took yesterday off. My shoulder/bicep was SORE yesterday from the homework my PT told me to do. Did some ROM stuff, but I wanted to listen to my body and let it rest. 

• Like 1

End of Day 15:

Eating to plan: 27/30

Lifts: 11/ 16

Cardio: 8 / 12 

Physical Therapy: 3 / 4  

Rehab: 14 / 15

Personal Training: 3 / 4 

Going to be sparse the next few days, but wanted to get some pre-Austin trip numbers logged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

End of Day 19:

Eating to plan: 33/38

Lifts: 14/ 16

Cardio: 10 / 12 

Physical Therapy: 3 / 4  

Rehab: 17 / 19

Personal Training: 3 / 4 

Austin was absolutely amazing, lots of time with friends and family, but gave myself some recharge/recovery solo time, too. Got some great lifts in Thurs - Sat, a long, gorgeous hike on friday. Fell in love with the area and had such a fantastic time.  Yes, I strayed from my eating to plan goal, but honestly, for the experiences I had, it was totally worth it (not something former Ryan would ever say).

Now that I'm back from my trip, I'm taking the rest of the day to set the last week up for success. Laundry, meal prep, lots of doing things in my free time today to minimize my chance of falling off plan this week.  With a fairly quiet social schedule for the first time since May (excluding the couple of weeks for surgery/initial recovery), I can really put the nose to the grindstone and continue to make progress.

End of Day 22: I told y'all my count would get screwed up over vacation, hahahahahah.

Eating to plan: 39 / 44 / 52 - (current / current available / goal by end of challenge)

Lifts: 15 / 16 - apparently, I've REALLY been enjoying having the ability to lift again, hahahaha

Cardio: 10 / 12 

Physical Therapy: 4 / 4 - AND I've booked it out for the rest of the month! 

Rehab: 20 / 22 / 28

Personal Training: 3 / 4 - while this has been great and I have my final session today, it's just not a financially viable option for me to continue, BUT I will keep utilizing what I've learned!