Going Back to School

Tides

I really enjoyed my first challenge, and I'm ready to try a second one! With the arrival of August, however, my focus shifts to the start of school. As a teacher, I've just entered my busiest time of year, going back to work and frantically getting ready for a new class of kids. So now is not the time for more involved challenge goals, I think. In fact, I want to really take the time to establish some basic habits, and to re-read the book that introduced me to all of this: Level Up Your Life. So my challenges this time will be:

Raksha's Challenge Goals:

10,000 steps per day for at least 5 days a week - This is a continuation from my last challenge, tweaked a little to allow life to happen, as it were. Five days a week should be a reasonable and achievable goal. For the four weeks of the challenge, this means at least 5 days every week must meet the 10,000 steps goal.

Go for a 1 mile (or more) walk at least 4 times a week - This is a habit I want to establish, with the hope of eventually walking daily. I've done this on and off, and I think now is a great time to get back into this. It's a quick and easy way to begin to add some exercise into my life. Eventually I'll be doing more than walking, but this is a good way to start, I think.

Drink 3 liters of water for a 5 day stretch at some point during the challenge - This is one of the academy quests, and it's one I've been considering for a while. When I get into the school mode, I tend to drink a lot less water, and in turn, get dehydrated and feel bad. This impacts my students and me, and I want to avoid that this year. So I will complete this goal not only to earn academy points, but to help establish a habit of drinking more and keeping hydrated.

Re-Read 'Level Up Your Life' - This goal is not only to just read the book again, but to go through and make notes, add sticky notes to important passages I want to revisit, and use the book to begin creating a plan for the future. This will eventually be expanded to my Academy goals as well, which I need to organize and sort to see what quests I want to complete. Reading this book again will help me stay motivated to change my life and be more healthy.

• Like 4

~ The Tides Rise And Fall ~

Battle Log of the Tides

Welcome to the Rebel party! Good luck getting ready for school. That sounds like chaos. 

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Well, I finally found a free moment to update this! It's been a while, but I'm still kicking!

10,000 steps per day for at least 5 days a week - I've been doing really good with this! I have been keeping my step count at about 12k a day for the main work week. Not as good on weekends, and I'm downright lazy on Sundays! But I have been accomplishing this goal.

Go for a 1 mile (or more) walk at least 4 times a week - I have been walking every morning, Monday thru Friday. I found a nice path in my neighborhood that is about 2 miles long. At a leisurely pace, I can finish it in about 45 minutes and then get ready for work. It's a bit hard, some days, to get up that early, but it does get me going for the day nicely.

Drink 3 liters of water for a 5 day stretch at some point during the challenge - I haven't done this yet. I think I will be focusing on it over the Labor Day Weekend, in order to make sure I can get it done.

Re-Read 'Level Up Your Life' - Started this. I'm a few chapters in already.

Battle Log of the Tides

Since it's the weekend, I wanted to take the time to give a more complete update. I haven't been paying much attention to this site lately, and that includes this challenge. I don't want to slide too far though, because it's a short leap from ignoring this site (because I'm too tired at the end of the day), to going back to late snacking, and TV watching (because I'm too tired all the time). Hence, I'm hoping an update here plus some browsing will keep me on track. Plus it's a long weekend. Yay!

10,000 steps per day for at least 5 days a week -

8/13: 11,507

8/14: 13,087

8/15: 12,609

8/16: 12,533

8/17: 12,128

8/18: 10,616

8/19: 3,830

Week 1: 6/7

8/20: 12,599

8/21: 14,184

8/22: 13,944

8/23: 15,751

8/24: 13,187

8/25: 11,923

8/26: 6,447

Week 2: 6/7

8/27: 12,207

8/28: 12,577

8/29: 16,952

8/30: 16,780

8/31: 15,311

Go for a 1 mile (or more) walk at least 4 times a week - I have been walking almost daily. A 2 mile path in my neighborhood, which is very nice. It's actually starting to become a habit now, and I feel lazier on the mornings I don't walk. I'm actually thinking about getting up Monday and walking, even though I have that day off. It just feels like the right choice. We will see.

Drink 3 liters of water for a 5 day stretch at some point during the challenge - I started this yesterday! Completed one day of the 5 days required. It was a little hard, I'll admit, and I had to really pay attention while at work. Today I'm working on Day 2 and making sure I have a big cup of water close by at all times. I even took a drink just now as I was thinking about it. I think I will succeed with this, though Tuesday at work will require vigilance.

Re-Read 'Level Up Your Life' - This is the goal I'm struggling with, currently. It's a great book,don't get me wrong. Reading it the first time really helped me, and I remain committed to leveling up my life and becoming the badass I am in my mind. But the book just isn't doing it for me right now. I have started making more concrete plans, and I guess I've moved on from the more basic advice in the book. I'm going to complete this goal, but it's going to require some effort on my part, and I'm not sure what I'm going to get out of it.

Battle Log of the Tides

Nerd Fitness 4 Week Challenge Post-Challenge Reflection

Name: Raksha

Challenge Number: 2

Duration: August 13, 2018 - September 9, 2018

Guild: Rebel

——————

Goal One: 10,000 steps per day for at least 5 days a week

What did you do to help your success?: I made sure to wear my fitbit everyday as a way to measure steps.

What would you do differently next challenge?: Having the 5 day goal during each week kept me motivated without being too perfectionist. It also gave me a couple of days of rest if needed.

Continue this goal next challenge?: Probably not. I’ve done this for 2 challenges now, and it’s become enough of a habit that I don’t need to make it a specific goal.

Goal One Score: 5 days a week for 4 weeks completed = 100% A

Goal Two: Go for a one mile (or more) walk 4 days a week

What did you do to help your success?: I decided that the walking would have to be done first thing in the morning. I knew that once I got going with my day, I’d find a million excuses to do something else. It was also a good way to wake up, I found.

What would you do differently next challenge?: I might increase the number of days I walk, as I’d like to get to at least 5 days a week, and maybe 6 eventually.  

Continue this goal next challenge?: Yes, but with a 5 day a week goal.

Goal Two Score: 4 days a week for 4 weeks completed = 100% A

Goal Three: 3 liters of water daily for 5 days in a row

What did you do to help your success?: This had to be pre-planned for the Labor Day weekend, when I knew I would be able to focus on tracking my water intake. I also made sure to remind myself to drink during work times.

What would you do differently next challenge?: Nothing. This is a one and done.   

Continue this goal next challenge?: Nope.

Goal Three Score: 5 days in a row (F, Sa, Su, M, T) completed = 100% A

Goal Four: Re-read Level Up Your Life!

What did you do to help your success?: I kept the book accessible and with me as often as possible to sneak in moments of reading when I could.

What would you do differently next challenge?: This was a hard goal to complete because I just wasn’t into the book as much. It’s very basic information, which I had already been on board for. It was a nice refresher, and I may take some aspects of it to make future goals.

Continue this goal next challenge?: No.

Goal Four Score: Book Completed = 100% A

———————

Final Overall Challenge Grade: 100% A (PASS)

Final Challenge Notes: this second challenge took a little more effort, as I had to fit it into my work routine. I wasn’t quite as pumped for this challenge, though I  did enjoy the water drinking goal set. I think I will be focusing on more Academy based goals for future challenges, because there is a tangible reward for completion. It is all about motivation!

Battle Log of the Tides