• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ElizeElvinFoxRyder

elizevdmerwe - Waiting on Spring

No other way to start this challenge than with what week 0 ended with: huge thunderstorm, the smell of rain (wet soil) and jasmine in the air, and almost two days next to the beach.

Thursday night a thunderstorm came up, and it was so nice to both fall asleep and wake up Friday morning with the sound of rain falling on our carport roof. The first sniff of jasmine in the air, mixing with the wonderful promise of wet soil, all to let you know that spring is on its way. The boys and I left for the south coast Friday morning, firstly to stop by a friend, but mainly to join Brandt for one evening with his racing buddies. We fell asleep with the sound of surf in the background.

Saturday (this morning) saw the boys and I driving the 2.5hrs back home, but breaking it up into smaller chunks by stopping at a small beach town (Ifafa) for breakfast, and a dip in the ocean. The boys enjoyed the man-made ocean pool, while I collected some mussels washed up after the last high tide. The first hour and half's driving was almost constantly next/close to the coast. It was breathtaking.

Top left-clockwise: boys in ocean pool; view from restaurant's deck; looking back at the restaurant from the beach; another view from the restaurant's deck.

see.jpg.32d79abdd6d4c781c35438886bc0f6ce.jpg

Things I HAVE TO concentrate on this challenge:

• Bible study: I've joined the 28days of Daily Devotionals via sms.
    • At least every week day, but aiming for every day, and a longer church sermon via Fb on Sundays.
  • Walking with the boys! We need to get fit and strong for a short hike in the mountains with friends around end September.
    • At least 2x a week with the boys.
  • Finances: I've taken on a lot more of our financial responsibilities and have to find a new routine of doing things. I tend to procrastinate on finances because I don't like doing it. Now I can't. I have to keep up, doing things in a new way.
    • Finalise June and July finances.
    • Update planned and actual finances every single day for August from slips.
  • Sleep: Go to bed between 21h00-21h30. This has been slipping the last challenge and week0.
    • At least every weekday night.

Otherwise all my other daily life goals are still there: dry fire practice once a week and club shoot once a month, sort of intuitive eating where I seriously cut down on how much carbs (starch and baked stuff) and sweet things I eat. And last but very important: try to get two or three strength training sessions in during every week. I've decided on a basic strength training routine for those mornings:

• Joint circles (warm up)
  • Jumping jacks (warm up) 20x
  • Circuit to repeat at least 2x:
    • Plank2Pushup 10x
    • Abs Roll Out 10x
    • Front Lunges 10x
    • Deadlifts (starting at 30kg) 10x (hopefully able to increase +-2kg every week)
    • Flys: Front 10x & Lateral 10x at 2.5kg d.bells
  • Bridge & Pinch 1x20sec
  • Sit-twist stretch
  • Shoulder stretch
  • Chest stretch

Hopefully the spring feeling will help to invigorate me to keep things going.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

So pretty, sounds like a nice mini vacation.  Looks like another great challenge

It was two glorious days and there is that saying: "a change is as good as a holiday", which this felt like, especially today. I thought so much about you and your fairy garden today! I'm hoping to get mine looking pretty again with the help of the shells we picked up.

58 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along again.

Glad to have you along.

-----------------------------------------

I finished proof reading the first book in a new series from the Aus.author Thursday, as well as finished the edu.policy law stuff. The new "message" that the examination board sent out last week, is that they aren't going to allow South African citizens to do the GED as a school leaving certificate any more. Too many home schoolers were letting their kids do that, and not the (totally useless) SA National School Leavers Certificate. So investigate Cambridge qualification or possibly some online courses after doing a GED, so they have something extra for university entrance. *sigh*

Answered emails and think I'm caught up on NF too. Tomorrow is club shoot day again, but both Brandt and I feel that we'll only do the distance (5m, 10m, 15m) shoot, and not the IDPA shoot with the couple. Brandt will only be home around 21h00-21h30 tonight as the racing went on late, and he still has to drop off some of the guys. Busy with the last washing/drying/folding, then off to bed.

• Like 5

@Elastigirl you inspired me to fix up my faerie garden. This is the best I could do. At the moment it is covered with a grid over top and at the back. Rosy has already thrice sneaked off with the white shell in the pansy pot (back left).

491311401_09-faeriegarden.thumb.jpg.f4a1479faf15cd881433c5a4c61bd91d.jpg

And the "sea-owl" patch; also covered with wire mesh. It's a bit empty because we took some of the overgrown Aloe vera out, and winter was a bit harsh on some of the succulents.

961478488_13-faeriegarden.thumb.jpg.a66e52fee7afd8c34de5a58c69315f81.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, annyshay said:

Challenge and fairy garden and beach vacation! Oh my!!

I skipped the club shoot this morning though. Rosy was sick twice last night, which I got up for and cleaned up; Zuzu and Missy stormed the door two or three times, barking, which Brandt got up twice for, third time was around 6am, so I just got up and opened the door to let them out. Think the third time was due to cows in the street. So ... just too tired. Brandt had to show up though because he is trying to finish that Range Officer course. He needs to get some practice shots in with someone's rifle so that he can help at other stations and not just handgun.

----------------------------------------------------------

Warning to all: serious weather might be incoming as I finally got around to iron our shirts! About ten shirts in 1hr.  You've been warned. :D:playful:

• Like 4

14 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

serious weather might be incoming

And we have a cold front storming in this morning :D

13 hours ago, Salinger said:

looks great :D  x

8 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Those fairy gardens looks so sweet. Love the bunny rabbits

Thanks, Sal and EG. Those two patches will be overgrown within a month if I don't keep it in check. The faeries are in the beardies' food patch, so I'll continually cut leaves and flowers for them. Rosy unfortunately persevered and got the shell! She is a tenacious little thing when she wants something. Rocco and I discovered her theft last night and had a look around with the flashlight, but couldn't find anything, so we'll have another look through the garden this morning. She might have buried it though.

------------------------------------------

Was up at 5h00 (will have to go back to 4h50 or start setting the coffee machine every night), and managed two circuits of the strength training. My left elbow (that tendon between the bones) is very sore while doing flys, but afterward no problem.

• Joint Circles 10x neck, arms, waist, knees, ankles
  • Jumping Jacks 20x
    • Plank2PullUps 10 | 2x5
    • AbsRollOut 10 |10
    • Front Lunges 2x2.5kg d.bells 10 | 10 (will increase next time, just wanted to check my balance)
    • Deadlifts 30kg 10 | 10 (will stay here this week)
    • Flys: Front and Lateral 2x2.5kg d.bells 10 | 10 (will keep weights as is, to keep an eye on elbow tendon)
    • Bent over Flys: Lateral 2x2.5kg d.bells 10 | 10 (as above)
  • Bridge & Pinch stretch 20sec
  • Sit-Twist stretch
  • Shoulder stretches
  • Chest stretches
  • Glutes, hamstrings and quad stretches

Brandt and I have a set "date" now for every Tuesday lunchtime. The boys and I will meet him at work around 12h00, then we'll go for a walk in the plantations and surrounding bush. Sometimes his colleagues might join us, and it is a lot of up and down, which we need. This way it is an appointment that I won't miss, and Brandt really wants to be part of something with the boys, without loosing time at work.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

will have to go back to 4h50 or start setting the coffee machine every night

At least I'm not the only one who get's up 10 minutes early just for the sake of coffee. I really need to get one that I can set a timer for ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

At least I'm not the only one who get's up 10 minutes early just for the sake of coffee. I really need to get one that I can set a timer for ;) 

:D The irritating thing about our coffee maker is that it wipes the setting the moment you switch it off. So you have to set the current time and the start time every single time you want to make coffee.

• Like 1

Just now, elizevdmerwe said:

:D The irritating thing about our coffee maker is that it wipes the setting the moment you switch it off. So you have to set the current time and the start time every single time you want to make coffee.

I used to have one where you only had to set a timer so it was just a delay (start making coffee in 12.5 hours) and that worked quite well and it didn't matter that every time you turned off the power the clock would reset but it did require resetting every night. You'd probably be hard pressed to find a coffee maker that will keep time without power though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I used to have one where you only had to set a timer so it was just a delay (start making coffee in 12.5 hours) and that worked quite well and it didn't matter that every time you turned off the power the clock would reset but it did require resetting every night. You'd probably be hard pressed to find a coffee maker that will keep time without power though. 

I obviously keep it on when set, but when you clean it and don't shut it off at the wall plug, it beeps like crazy (almost like a fire alarm) when you open the covers to clean. Maybe they expect people to only clean it once a week or something? And not every single time after you've used it? I can't see me doing that though.

Oh well, just need to get into the habit of setting it every night. At least it grinds the beans too, so I don't have to pre-grind.

----------------------------------------------

Food today: I had bean soup for breakfast, and bean soup for lunch. We had grilled chicken with broccoli and pumpkin tonight. Rocco asked for chocolate again, and again, and again, and again. I've mentioned it before but I really have a problem saying no to Rocco, I don't know why. But for his health (he is not obese yet, but seriously overweight), and the possibility of diabetes, etc. is in Brandt's genes, thus his. I need to get a grip and say no. We (the boys and I) again decided to only have a chocolate once a week, this time on a Tuesday after our walk with Brandt. Setting rules or a schedule like that works for the boys and me, actually, if I can keep to it. So let's see. I think I've lost cm last week, but definitely not weight. I picked up after this weekend. And as much as I don't want it to bother me, it does. This is literally the heaviest that I've ever been in my life, even though I'm healthier and much, much stronger than I was last time at this weight.

So as much as I want to continue following intuitive eating, I need something more in the line of a schedule: I can have this on that day, and not this, and not that. Funny enough, the rusks and biscuits in the house don't bother me at all, and neither the ice cream (soft serve) that Brandt and the boys still buy every Sunday from the van that comes around. But two weekends ago I bought a toaster, and the boys are having toast with breakfast every morning now. This is a serious problem and struggle to say no to. A warm slice of toast with a layer of butter melting on top... Yeah I'm being masochistic aren't I? Funny thing though, I don't like sandwiches that much either.

I've seen that I'm not the only one struggling with this at the moment. I need a plan to follow, a path, balance. I can't just take it day by day or as it comes. I need something constructive that I can follow that isn't too restrictive. I'm SO much a creature of habits! I like my set routine in almost everything it seems.

A guy we know from the patrol group and club shoots are getting divorced. It happened so fast, the poor guy is reeling! His wife is already married to someone new, and now she demands her half of the house money, so he has to get it sold as quickly as possible. Brandt offered our guest room to him if he needs a place to stay while finding a new place and selling the house. They have two little kids though, and they will probably have to stay over with him on some weekends. The room is very small, even though it has its own bathroom. IF this happens, he probably wouldn't stay with us for long, but I'm a bit worried about this, to be honest. This I'll just have to take as it comes, and see what to do when the time comes.

• Like 3

Tuesday:

Bible study:  Done day 2.

Walking with the boys: Brandt took us on a walk (lots of hills and rocky terrain, not to mention mud) through a plantation close to his offices. We all actually had a good time, and managed to walk about 3km. I'm impressed with the boys. They did complain a bit, but stopped and started to enjoy the scenery. I came to the realisation that I'm probably too soft on them when we walk and don't push them enough. Maybe I'm too soft on them in general... :( 

Finances:  All bank statements are up to date, till middle July. I'll download the last half of July's statement tomorrow, then capture on spreadsheets (my bank works from 22nd of the month, till 21st of the next month). Then I can tick off the slips I have. I've sorted the slips according to category, stapled them, and ready to finalise (file) this week. Next week I'll try to catch up to August. Also sent the spreadsheets to mil to capture on her accounting programme then forward to the accountant for provisional taxes. I am up to date with budgeting for the month, but that's on a separate little spreadsheet and I haven't captured any slips when I ticked off things.

Sleep:  Was in bed on time Monday evening, but then Brandt came to say good night and asked me about the boys' English lessons which I wanted to talk to him about. Finally fell asleep waaayyyy past 21h30.

Food: Two-egg omelette with a little bit of cheese and a small piece of bacon and cheese mini sausage, for breakfast. Had two whole wheat rusks with cranberries, with coffee around 11h00. Only had lunch around 15h00, after our walk and coming from town, which was one grilled chicken breast, cut into pieces, topped with shredded jalapeno chilllies and melted cheese (a small amount of cheese). Had pork chop and mixed veg (peas, corn, carrots) for dinner. AND I had a chocolate after our walk, but while the cashier was busy ringing our stuff up, I saw an Aloe juice and realised next time I'll rather have that than a chocolate. Lower on sugar, but also liquid, which I need to get more of. The boys are onboard with our Tuesdays for chocolate and Sundays for soft serve idea. Here's hoping it will last and work out.

Other: Dryfire training this morning was a video on what to do when you are attacked with a knife. No real practice, but a lot of info and advice, which might come in handy at some point.

Can't think of anything else.

School discussion - To clear my head. Opinions welcome...

Spoiler

I've mentioned some things about policy changes in the country before. The long and short, I'm currently using US English programmes because we were going to finish school with GED, SATs and local ASAs (like your ACTs?), but now that won't be allowed for SA Citizens to get university exemption (school leaver's certificate with university exemption). So what to do? Brandt's always wanted the boys to rather do Cambridge, firstly because South Africa uses UK English, but also a lot of the private schools in the country do a Cambridge school leaver's certificate (SLC), and they will put up a fight if the Dept. of Edu./Examinations Board decides to withdraw that SLC as qualification for university exemption. So it is a safe bet for homeschoolers, but very expensive. The GED and SATs are way more affordable and less time consuming.

Anyway... spent some time discussing with Brandt two of the online programmes I know about that follow a course plan (not just a case of allowing the kids to 'play' and learn/practice what they are interested in) and give reports to parents. Also prices. Also asked his opinion other than that he prefers Cambridge. He at first said that I should continue with the programmes that I'm following at the moment, and teach the boys both UK and USA variances in spelling, grammar, tenses, but if I sometimes become royally confused while I type here on NF, how are they going to be able to handle it, when they are only starting to learn about tenses, grammar, word types, and all those other LA topics? And honestly, I don't know all the differences between the two languages off the top of my head! So then he said to choose a programme that I would be happy with, and buy family membership for a year. So I'm trying to find more programme options. I currently know about IXL (also used in Canada and Australia) and Reading Eggspress. I specifically want a computer programme and not more book work. Something that they can go on with, on their own, with me checking up on their reading and pronounciation. In the meantime I'm continuing with our current programme, as it is mostly vocabulary, spelling and reading, and as far as I can see, the words for the next couple of weeks are spelt the same in either English language.

My other option, is to research US colleges/technical institutions/universities (and of course SA ones) that will allow online distance learning and accept GED cert. Then if they still accept South Africans in 7-9years' time (which I have no idea whether it will be an option), the boys can continue as is. That also depends on their study direction, which obviously I'm not sure of. So what is the safest, best choice to make? Whatever is available today, might not be available in the future. And that doesn't even include what might be available in the future, that we can only dream of today. Am I missing something? Am I not considering something? My head feels like wool, thick and dense.

• Like 1

Good job on choosing aloe juice over chocolate. I've never had aloe juice.

I like tracking my food in MFP. I try and eat mostly foods that are nutrient dense that will give me the energy I need, but  tracking calories gives me some room for treats. And a bit of intuitive eating  thrown in, where if I'm not hungry I won't eat all my calories, or if I'm super hungry I can eat more ( though it would be protein or good carbs not chocolate:smug:)

Yay for walking. Personally, when I look back, I wish for things like that I had been more relaxed, and just let my son enjoy the scenery. I think my pushing it, just made it seem more like a school thing than a fun thing. So, my advice is, relax and let them enjoy the scenery. We probably would all be better off to be a little less goal driven on occasion, and take the time to stop and really enjoy life a bit more.

On schooling. First, and most important, remember that they are in God's hands. He has a plan, and will work to accomplish that plan. And good for you for planning ahead and trying to map the best course. I don't really have much advice, we did bookwork mainly.  I don't know  anything about college in the US accepting foreign homeschoolers, but  I do know they are very favorable to  US homeschoolers. My son needed to take an SAT (similar to ACT test- he could have taken the ACT) But if South Africa doesn't accept that you might be better off with Cambridge. You could try it for a year  and see how well it fits your needs. As far as the US goes, it's probably a safe bet that what the requirements are now, they will be fairly similar (or ones you could adapt a bit) 

• Like 1

Oh my word I feel so embarrassed! I just found out another meaning for 'masochist' which I never knew! It is not just doing something that will hurt you (like exercising even though you will hurt the next day). Wish I was an ostrich to push my head in the sand (not that they really do that). :redface-new: I'm not using that word again, in case I'm misunderstood.

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

3152774594432603.gif

:D yeah, my sentiments too. Saw a similar video made by US soldiers.

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Good job on choosing aloe juice over chocolate. I've never had aloe juice.

I like tracking my food in MFP. I try and eat mostly foods that are nutrient dense that will give me the energy I need, but  tracking calories gives me some room for treats. And a bit of intuitive eating  thrown in, where if I'm not hungry I won't eat all my calories, or if I'm super hungry I can eat more ( though it would be protein or good carbs not chocolate:smug:)

Aloe juice seemed to become available around here sometime last year, I think. South Africa is aloe country so I'm not surprised, but some of the brands have a lot of sugar added. There is only one which I've seen that has less sugar than other juices and cooldrinks. It's very refreshing and I like the pulp in it.

I just need to cut down on the chocolate and things like bread and other starchy food. They make me more hungry very quickly, no matter whether it's low GI or not. I'm really not fond of measuring my food portions, but I will probably have to. What I haven't been doing, which I should probably start with first, is to dish up smaller portions of food, then wait and see whether I'm really still hungry after I've finished it. If I am, then I can have a little bit more. If I'm not, then fine.

Yay for walking. Personally, when I look back, I wish for things like that I had been more relaxed, and just let my son enjoy the scenery. I think my pushing it, just made it seem more like a school thing than a fun thing. So, my advice is, relax and let them enjoy the scenery. We probably would all be better off to be a little less goal driven on occasion, and take the time to stop and really enjoy life a bit more.

The boys and I usually discuss things while walking, from our surroundings (I explained wind and water erosion when we saw prime examples around us while walking) to other topics. But we tend to slow down and then drag things out, and then they don't really build up a sweat and 'exercise'. Brandt almost never slowed down yesterday and we were all a bit out of breath by the end of the walk, and it was good exercise. I guess we could do both. Walk faster for exercise with Brandt, and do our normal speed and routine walk on a Friday.  Then again, just getting out and walking a bit will do us all good.

On schooling. First, and most important, remember that they are in God's hands. He has a plan, and will work to accomplish that plan.

Thanks I needed to hear this again. I didn't realise that I've been becoming a bit panicky thinking of all the changes and implications of everything.

I found some universities (international and local) that accept students online for distance courses, and then there are of course places like Coursera which also allow people to study worldwide through them. A friend said today that having some of these diplomas or certificates along with a GED, ANA's and SAT/ACTs, may get homeschoolers entrance directly from a national university, but they have limited space for students who apply as an "adult learner" (21+yrs) with some qualifications and/or experience, rather than a student with a school leavers certificate with exemption. So there are options available. I think we have to sit and look through all the options a lot more. Adam turns 12 end of this year, which is in Cambridge's Lower Secondary level, and then they have a higher Secondary level for 16+yrs. Where they really recommend you use their endorsed textbooks.

I did however find an English programme which I like, but the voice overs have such an Australian accent, that soon the boys might be mistaken for Australians, instead of the mixed-Americans people seem to think their now! :D But it is a very solid programme, following the Australian and New Zealand curricula (similar to UK national curriculum?), and also being used by Ireland, UK and apparently some South African families or private schools. I haven't finalised anything yet, because if we seriously choose Cambridge, then I'd rather buy their workbooks.

-------------------------------------------------------

Adam has been fighting a cold since Monday, and this morning it seemed to have worsened, so we skipped Lego classes. Now, at the end of the day, he seems much better though.

Wednesday:

Bible study:  Done day 3.

Strength: One circuit only. I was tired and had very little energy.

Finances:  Just the day's finances, nothing further on July stuff.

Sleep:  Was in bed on time Tuesday evening, but then Brandt came to say good night and we started talking, discussing the day and what I've found online w.r.t. curricula. This seems to be his habit now, so I again only switched off my light around 23h00.

Food: Breakfast: Two-egg scramble with a pork sausage. Lunch: Nartjie, fish nuggets (15x) with a little bit of mayonnaise. Dinner: 2x wholewheat rusks (tummy problems), small portion of mince and veg stew. Three normal mugs of coffee throughout the day, oh and a glass of milk while exercising this morning. I think my calcium might be a tad low. I've been craving milk.

Other: I did not walk this afternoon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Considering the context, I don’t think anyone would think you meant it the other way.

I really hope not!

-----------------------------------------

So late night again, but only just, will do a summary of the day at the end of today. It is cold, misty, rainy and typical "Spring is in the air" weather, so I'm part excited and part thankful. Dust is settling so sinus problems are less. No way Rocco will do sport this afternoon, but I have to go out as it is our dvd day, and I want to print these new worksheets and set up the new English programme. Discussed it with Brandt, and the Cambridge stuff, and ... and ... I just can't tell him everything going through my head as I read information and tried to think of everything, so I sent him a lot of links and asked him to read through it, and that was what he did last night. So basically we'll change to the UK English programme, but that is all. No other changes. I have to admit I was very proud yesterday when the boys did a reading test. I know their comprehension of what they read and hear is very good, but they've improved so much from the beginning of the year w.r.t. reading itself. It gave them a confidence boost as well, and they liked the stories. Of course the level they are reading at is way below their comprehension level; @Sloth the Enduring mentioned this happens, in a discussion in another thread (last year?). They'll catch up systematically as we practice and continue. I still read aloud at a level they understand, and not at what they read themselves. We've started with the Tarzan series Brandt bought when just going to high school (14yrs). Unfortunately he lent the first two books to someone years ago and never got it back, so we are starting with book 3: Tarzan and Jane got married and have a son. And they've all been kidnapped. I've been told I'm a bad mom because I stopped reading on a cliffhanger. :pirate:

We'll chat again tonight. Hope you have a great day :love_heart:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Discussed it with Brandt, and the Cambridge stuff, and ... and ... I just can't tell him everything going through my head as I read information and tried to think of everything, so I sent him a lot of links and asked him to read through it, and that was what he did last night. So basically we'll change to the UK English programme, but that is all.

That's kind of annoying the differences between American English and British English are enough that it's confusing. 

• Like 1

Blegh, when I told my boyfriend what they're trying to do with the home schooling, he was so upset.  He was home schooled (he's a pretty successful lawyer now), and he knows that if he hadn't had the option of being home schooled he wouldn't have accomplished much (for him anyway). He did Cambridge too, so it could definitely be an option for your boys. 

Otherwise you look like you're doing great so far :) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

That's kind of annoying the differences between American English and British English are enough that it's confusing. 

Yes, and we were really enjoying the programmes that we were using. The boys and I are a little bit upset that we won't get to finish the Nebula Language Arts programme. They loved it! It is super confusing however to figure out what the UK Keystage 1 (year 1 and 2) and then Keystage 2 (years 3-6) is compared to how we use and follow grade levels here in South Africa. Maybe I was just too tired to grasp it the first time round.

8 hours ago, Blaidd said:

Blegh, when I told my boyfriend what they're trying to do with the home schooling, he was so upset.  He was home schooled (he's a pretty successful lawyer now), and he knows that if he hadn't had the option of being home schooled he wouldn't have accomplished much (for him anyway). He did Cambridge too, so it could definitely be an option for your boys. 

Otherwise you look like you're doing great so far :) 

I'm so glad to hear of your boyfriend's success! There aren't a lot of 1st generation HS in South Africa yet, but we basically all hang on their outcomes (no pressure! :D ) to further our cause. But things seem to be coming to a head now.

Thanks, I'm trying to keep up with my own things, but I really feel like this week is a bit much.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

More education stuff. Just want to get it out of my head so I can make sense of it:

Spoiler

I joined a Fb Cambridge in South Africa group yesterday and all of the parents there basically said that for primary years up to +-16yrs old, you follow your own choice of curriculum (or enroll with a private school), but then you have to join an organisation that is Cambridge approved, through which your child studies (usually distance education) and writes their exams.  Luckily there is an accredited examination centre here in town, so we won't have to drive and stay over someplace else at that time. Costs of examinations are prohibitive, but seeing as we are already saving for their further studies, we'll have a look at the end of the year whether to bump up that saving premium or not.

Closer to the time that they have to prepare for IGCSE (and later AS and A levels if necessary), I can also find out about the 'new' bilingual section Cambridge is setting up, which I know is exactly what is happening in our house; where you teach a subject basically in both languages (Afrikaans and English) because you read in one language, explain in the other, and then use which ever language to further explain if they don't understand something.

For instance for Math we do Math U See, which are videos in US English, then followed up with workbook (and hands on-blocks) pages. Workbooks have been translated to SA English. So they watch the video in English, but for some or other reason, they prefer using the Afrikaans terminology. They just can't seem to remember the English terms.

Geography, history, biology, science, etc. I read in whatever language the book is written in, but again mostly explain in Afrikaans. Yet here they seem to understand and remember English terms better, so I actually use the English terms while explaining in Afrikaans, and sometimes just plain talk to them in English. Anyway, so if I understand it correctly, Cambridge wants to bring in a "bilingual" section where kids can use terms in either language and not be penalised for it.

I spent a lot of time the last two evenings looking through Ziptales (and found the UK site! Woo ho! No Australian accents for us, thank you :)) and realised that I'll have to go through all their stories and their respective worksheets (they use the stories to teach language skills), to make sure that the boys aren't missing anything. So Flash-style revision, here we come! Got everything planned out for the rest of the year, and half of next year. Then I realised that I was squeezing in stuff to do next year, that can wait a bit. Basically trying to do what they call year 6 and 7 work, where we'll be doing year 4-5 work.

But on the political scene, one of the political parties (a Christian party focused on parental rights and education), has jumped into the fray and are supporting the home schoolers, because they say the Education dept. is blatantly ignoring some of our Constitutional rights and trying to steamroller us. Which is what we've been saying for the last 3-4yrs, but the edu.dept.has been ignoring us. So this party asked for the courts and parliament to step in and sort out the "misunderstanding" between the parties. It might lead to the examinations board retracting their decision about GED qualifications, but might not. So what to do in the meantime? Hang in there and just continue for now, or make the switch and if push comes to shove, the boys can more easily switch over to US English in their final years.

Thursday:

Bible study:  Done.

Exercise: Nothing.

Finances:  Just the day's finances, nothing further on July stuff.

Sleep:  Wednesday on time, but woke up couple of times during the night. Thursday night, went to bed late... very late. Slept mostly through though, but only got up just before 6h00, not 5h00.

Food: Breakfast: Two baked eggs with small portion of left over mince. Lunch: I defrosted the last of Brandt's birthday maize-mix-side dish (paptert) and had that with some brown gravy. The boys had either just boerewors (R) or paptert with boerewors (A), and the same for Thoko and Eric. Dinner: the last of the paptert with sauce. We weren't very hungry, but there was defrosted bean soup and some left overs too. I know, too much starch.

Other: School stuff, took Rocco to soccer and both boys have a cold now. I seem to be ok (touch wood). Wind is starting to pick up, and predicted to blow madly later on. I have to take pipes to town to have them bend for Brandt's roll cage. Have to have the new English worksheets printed, so we can start Monday. Really want to go for a walk this afternoon, which will have to be in the neighbourhood. I'm so sick and tired of some guys harassing people in the street below us. They're gone at the moment, but if I do go for a walk, I'll take my f.a. and my walking stick with. Maybe I should leave the stick and take Zuzu out for a walk, he needs some exercise, and seems to scare off unwanted attention. There is something to say for superstition about dark dogs with light yellow eyes.

Being tired is definitely affecting my mood. I seem to have lost my sense of humour, and patience. Also feeling decidedly 'blah'.

Zuzu's "You really want me to get off the bed?" look. He wasn't impressed with me.

zuzu.jpg.5523194936a8709c369ea66301865137.jpg

• Like 3