• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nomad Jay

This one doesn't have a catchy title.

I'm on the road for, effectively, all of this challenge period. Living out of a suitcase has a significant effect on the kinds of work-outs I can do, but fortunately all running requires is a road and shoes (shoes option if you're crazy enough). Then again, you can't out-run your fork, as they say. So, in the spirit of changing what I can and not worrying about the things I can't:

Eating Clean. (Well, clean-ish)

1. No alcohol. This means no beer, wine, or spirits. There will be one exception to this, since my travels take me through Kentucky and if you think I'm skipping out on the Bourbon Trail, you've got another thing coming.
  2. No "carbs" after 1:30. No rice, grains, breads, pasta, etc after lunch.
  3. No dessert. It's summer, which means there's plenty of fruit to be had if I'm diligent in find them.

Make No Excuses

1. Work-out six days a week, even if it's something as simple as a four-mile run.
  2. Distance runs every Saturday to build up to a half-marathon in September. Distance run means 7 miles or greater.  

I will be using my well-calibrated, preer-reviewed, highly scientific stick-to-it-iveness scale:

1. Tom Landry - You just had the worst season on NFL record but keep plugging away. Nice hat by the way.

2. Thomas Edison - You now know 1,000 ways that don't work. Also, if genius is 99% perspiration, please remember to shower often.

3. Bertha Benz - Your obstacles are merely chances for innovation. MacGyver looks to you for inspiration.

4. Franklin Douglas - "Allowing only ordinary ability and opportunity, we may explain success mainly by one word and that word is WORK! WORK!! WORK!!! WORK!!!!"

5. Booker T Washington - While success is its own reward, irritating your critics is definitely a bonus. Your invitation to dine with Teddy Roosevelt at the White House is probably in the mail.

6. Frederick Russell Burnham - When you're done becoming one of history's most legendary scouts, help the Texas Rangers stop a would-be presidential assassination, and strike oil in your backyard.

7. Theodore Roosevelt - You don't always get shot in the chest before giving a speech, but when you do, you finish the doggone speech. Being born into a life of wealth and ease is no excuse for laziness. Bully for you!

I'm making a slight modification. Levels Tom Landry through Frederick Russell Burnham are for normal effort. Theodore Roosevelt is reserved for extraordinary effort. 

• Like 2

On 8/11/2018 at 9:29 PM, Nomad Jay said:

I'm on the road for, effectively, all of this challenge period. Living out of a suitcase has a significant effect on the kinds of work-outs I can do, but fortunately all running requires is a road and shoes (shoes option if you're crazy enough). Then again, you can't out-run your fork, as they say. So, in the spirit of changing what I can and not worrying about the things I can't:

Eating Clean. (Well, clean-ish)

1. No alcohol. This means no beer, wine, or spirits. There will be one exception to this, since my travels take me through Kentucky and if you think I'm skipping out on the Bourbon Trail, you've got another thing coming.
  2. No "carbs" after 1:30. No rice, grains, breads, pasta, etc after lunch.
  3. No dessert. It's summer, which means there's plenty of fruit to be had if I'm diligent in find them.

Make No Excuses

1. Work-out six days a week, even if it's something as simple as a four-mile run.
  2. Distance runs every Saturday to build up to a half-marathon in September. Distance run means 7 miles or greater.  

I will be using my well-calibrated, preer-reviewed, highly scientific stick-to-it-iveness scale:

1. Tom Landry - You just had the worst season on NFL record but keep plugging away. Nice hat by the way.

2. Thomas Edison - You now know 1,000 ways that don't work. Also, if genius is 99% perspiration, please remember to shower often.

3. Bertha Benz - Your obstacles are merely chances for innovation. MacGyver looks to you for inspiration.

4. Franklin Douglas - "Allowing only ordinary ability and opportunity, we may explain success mainly by one word and that word is WORK! WORK!! WORK!!! WORK!!!!"

5. Booker T Washington - While success is its own reward, irritating your critics is definitely a bonus. Your invitation to dine with Teddy Roosevelt at the White House is probably in the mail.

6. Frederick Russell Burnham - When you're done becoming one of history's most legendary scouts, help the Texas Rangers stop a would-be presidential assassination, and strike oil in your backyard.

7. Theodore Roosevelt - You don't always get shot in the chest before giving a speech, but when you do, you finish the doggone speech. Being born into a life of wealth and ease is no excuse for laziness. Bully for you!

I'm making a slight modification. Levels Tom Landry through Frederick Russell Burnham are for normal effort. Theodore Roosevelt is reserved for extraordinary effort. 

Nice challenge!

Instead of my weekly posts, I decided to just do one end-of-challenge assessment to see how I did.

The results are in:

1. No alcohol: Frederick Russell Burnham. I sample some delicious bourboun while in KY, but beyond that, no alcohol. This one wasn't a big deal for, I don't think I have a drinking problem or anything, I just wanted to test myself.
  2. No carbs: Franklin Douglas. For the most part I did pretty good here. With one exception, these were late nights on the road by the time I reached civilization the only thing open was fast food. As for the exception (men of NF, back me up on this), if a woman goes to the trouble of baking you sourdough rolls from scratch for dinner, you eat a doggone roll.
  3. No dessert. Frederick Russeel Burnham. I also did pretty good here. I did have one very small chocolate, about half the size of a Hershey's kiss, during one of my distillery tours.
  4. Work-out six days a week: Booker T. Washington. I did only get four work-outs in one week due to travel schedule.
  5. Distance runs every Saturday. Booker T Washington. I did miss one week, but I moved it to the next Monday so I'm going to give myself partial credit for that.

Overall: Booker T Washington - While success is its own reward, irritating your critics is definitely a bonus. Your invitation to dine with Teddy Roosevelt at the White House is probably in the mail.

So, what did I learn?

1. When traveling, pack some snacks that conform to any dietary restrictions I might be on. You can make a meal of snacks if you have enough of them.
  2. Life without chocolate is possible.
  3. Have some bodyweight work-outs on tap for those days when I only have 20 minutes in my hotel room to work out.