• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chemgeek

Chemgeek seeks consistency

Yeah I basically lost the weekend to sleep. I slept 33 hours between Friday night and Monday morning. Monday I made the wise decision to put off work out till after work and that was smart cuz work wiped me. Today I am going to martial arts because I feel back to myself again. :)

• Like 1

Good martial arts last night. Was very hot. Even I was getting overheated and I am basically part lizard and thrive in hot weather.

• Like 1

Martial arts yesterday: ok. Spent most of class on a kata I am not training for Sandan for another black belt. I haven't even tried to retain it since it was introduced to me so a whole lot of deer-in-headlights moments but ok. Then that black belt and I had a nice role reversal on a kata I have been training cuz I love it and want it to be my sandan jo kata.

• Like 2

Student used fall on the instructor's face! It's super effective! Chemgeek's nose is injured!

Ow. 

Our provincial telehealth folks say maybe broken (I heard a snap and so did others in the room. You know it is a good crack noise when even before you sit up people are asking "is it broken?") but since it isn't deformed or crazy swollen and I can breathe through it it isn't like they can do anything for it anyway so. Rest and ice. Laugh at the glorious purple nose.

(Yes this is totally permission to tease me not to try to reverse a hold with my face :p)

(amusingly, this makes literally everyone on my dad's side of the family to break a nose by blocking something with the face. It is a family tradition. Crappy family tradition but when yer schnoz is as big as those that run on that side, mine included.... My sister joked that with noses like ours (she inherited even more of The Nose than me, although not as much as my cousin who is sometimes described by strangers as The Guy With The Nose) it is hard not to block with it).

Purple nose is still sore if I make certain facial expressions but swelling is gone and pain is mild when I am not actively doing things.

Also did martial arts. Was good.

Tomorrow I will be trying ball hockey. I am famously godawful at almost all ball sports (volleyball excepted as I played a decent if short setter) so I am skeptical I will be useful but the group knows and is ok with it so eh why not?

Need to get a new PF meter. 

Martial arts was good. Returned home after getting groceries in a crummy mood.

Partner checked in on me because spacy and "acting depressed" talking to him I observed I couldn't finish a sentence because I was short of breath. Took my inhaler. Back to myself in 20 minutes.

My ability to perceive poor breathing is starting to slide again. This means I need to retrain myself.

Well, you could be distracted on account of the nose, too. (Although, to be clear, most styles of karate are not big on blocking with the face. It's a bad surface for this kind of thing, don't you know. :D)

I hope ball hockey was fun! I enjoyed it when I played it; nice way to get the fun of the game without having to pick up that pesky "skating" thing.

Also! Hope that this challenge wound up well for you. :)

On 9/8/2018 at 5:32 PM, chemgeek said:

Need to get a new PF meter. 

Martial arts was good. Returned home after getting groceries in a crummy mood.

Partner checked in on me because spacy and "acting depressed" talking to him I observed I couldn't finish a sentence because I was short of breath. Took my inhaler. Back to myself in 20 minutes.

My ability to perceive poor breathing is starting to slide again. This means I need to retrain myself.

What is a PF meter?

Lucky that your partner was there to check in on you. Issues that mess up perception and decision making are horrible. You could fix it if only you could tell it was happening. Low blood sugar in diabetics is like that too.

Good to hear that you are back to martial arts, blocking accidents aside. I hope your nose heals quickly with no long term consequences.

I only get like that with the worst attacks but yeah. Ragweed season has turfed my asthma control and if my control is bad enough long enough I get too used to bad breathing and then bad ones can "sneak up" on me.

On 9/13/2018 at 1:23 PM, Mistr said:

What is a PF meter?

Lucky that your partner was there to check in on you. Issues that mess up perception and decision making are horrible. You could fix it if only you could tell it was happening. Low blood sugar in diabetics is like that too.

Good to hear that you are back to martial arts, blocking accidents aside. I hope your nose heals quickly with no long term consequences.

Oh shoot just noticed that I never answered the question. A Peak Flow meter is a medical device for measuring your breathing. PF is how fast you can breathe air out of your lungs. PF is a bit controversial as it only has about a 40%correlation with more reliable measures of lung function like FEV1 (how much air you push out in 1 second) and has a huge amount of variability person to person since the results depend more on technique and chest wall strength and effort than actual lung function (case in point: my pb is 768. Meaning my go to the hospital numbers are about the same as healthy numbers of an average person my height and weight. Part of that is I have horse lungs - even my well FEV1 is higher than normal - but a biiig chunk is that I am 31 and have been measuring my PF regularly since I was 5 so my technique is down pat and the people they got the average numbers off were normal healthy people who don't have good rechnique) which makes its clinical utility... questionable. But it is cheap. A PF meter is about 20 dollars. An FEV1 meter is about 150 dollars.

I usually spring for the FEV1 meter because the info is just better quality and gives me a better idea of what I need to do. But PF meters are more accessible financially.

• Like 1