• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chaosbane

Chaosbane 3x weekly dosage of Barbell Medicine LP Gainzzz

I don't have an awesome gif collection. My post is a wall of text sorry!

So, my second 4 weeks challenge in the warriors guild! I recently did the bodacious beasts comp and it is the first time I have tested my maxes this year. They had gone up a good amount considering my training has been pretty trash this year. I spent too long dicking around worrying about my Abzzz, still distance running and not putting on weight.

I've recently gone from 77Kg to 85Kg and all of my lifts feel better. I was underweight for a 5'10-11" male who wants to be strong.

I'm running Advanced Novice SSLP with the following plugins: https://www.barbellmedicine.com/novice-bench-and-press-plug-in/ - I also like the greyskull amrap set for extra volume when I am feeling good and capable, this will help me to start judging my RPE before moving on to the bridge.

Week A

Monday/Friday

Press 2x5, 1x5+

Squat 2x5, 1x5+

Chins 3x6-8

Close-grip Bench Press 4x8@ -15% from last 3x5 weight

Wednesday

Bench 2x5, 1x5+

Deadlift 1x5+

Row 3x6-8

Press 4x8 @ -12% from last 3x5 weight

Week B

Monday/Friday

Bench 2x5, 1x5+

Squat 2x5, 1x5+

Rows 3x6-8

Press 4x8 @ -12% from last 3x5 weight

Wednesday

Press 2x5, 1x5+

Deadlift 1x5+

Chins 3x6-8

Close-grip Bench Press 4x8@ -15% from last bench 3x5 weight

I'm in the middle of making myself a spreadsheet for this routine. But I don't think I will be on it for too long. The bro part of me wants to program some curls and triceps :) But I really don't think I need to with this volume.

Start weights for this routine will be:

Bench: 85Kg / 187Lb

Squat: 127.5Kg / 281lb

Deadlift: 150Kg / 330 lb

Press: 55Kg / 121 lb

Row: 70Kg / 154 lb

Chin: Bodyweight

Close-grip Bench Press: 72.5Kg / 160 lb

Quests?!

Physical:

• Start incorporating GPP back in to my routine. Got a rough left ankle at the moment, so going to get my bike repairs for some low impact lunch time cardio.
  • Keep putting on weight, but do it a bit healthier than I have been.
  • Lift heavier than I have ever lifted before! In 6 weeks time,  two week cycles of the above routine.
    • 140Kgx5 rep squat
    • 107.5Kgx5 Bench (This is over reaching, but lets see)
    • 180Kg*5 deadlift (would like to shoot higher but this is all my weights atm)
    • 77.5x5 Press
    • Chins, reps for bodyweight as my BW will be increasing.
    • Close-grip bench, keep inline with bench less 15% or so.

Mental:

• Start my datacamp Python course in preparation for my next OU module
  • Cut down caffeine, my monster addiction is ludicrous.

Family

• Be 'present', mentally, not physically

Work

• Proposal for new position
  • Like 2

I've been following the BBM guys for a while now - good stuff.  I'm thinking about switching to either their bridge 2.0 or GPP program in a month or so once I've sufficiently ground my face into the bar.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Grymm said:

I've been following the BBM guys for a while now - good stuff.  I'm thinking about switching to either their bridge 2.0 or GPP program in a month or so once I've sufficiently ground my face into the bar.

Their content is fantastic. "What you gonna do? Not train?" really hit home for me. If I know I am busy in the evening with a university lecture? Then wake up early to train, or plan it for the next morning... just... train. Sore ankle? Train! Sore back? Train! (smartly ofc).

My only issue is how disparate their content is, you really need to dig in to the podcasts, youtube videos and forums (even old SS articles back when they were SSC's) to piece it all together. Something I am sure they will get better with as their business matures.

Have you run the bridge 1.0? I'm looking forward to trying it, I don't have a belt yet - going to buy a 10mm 4" single prong belt at the end of this month. But I still have some LP to squeeze out yet.

I've been following Dr. Feigenbaum since he was a SSC - probably like 4 years.  I only recently found out he split off and formed his own group so I played catch up on the podcasts the last month.  As with anything, I think you need to take everything with a grain of salt.  They can be a little dismissive of things sometimes, but generally solid information to make of it what you can.

Also, the pain science stuff (I should probably check out the painscience group), is pretty solid, especially when it comes to back "injuries".  Again, you have to be of a mindset where you are fairly comfortable with pain already to make use of it, but it reinforced things I had learned over the years. 

• Like 1

First day of this routine:

Using the next few weeks to try and learn RPE, I'm going to also be judging that.

Press

Warmup: 20*10,30*5,50*5,50*1

Work: 55*5*2, 55*8 RPE 8

I have no idea what happened to my press, in a good way. I haven't trained it for 2-3 weeks and I'm doing 3 more reps with the same weight, and stricter. Can't complain.

Squat

Warmup: 20*10, 60*5, 80*5, 100*5, 120*1

Work: 127.5*5*3 RPE 7.5, coulda gotten 2, maybe 3 more reps.

Chins

BW: 8,7,6 @ RPE 8

Close-grip Bench

Warmup: 40*8, 60*8

Work: 70*8, 70*7 RPE 9

Didn't do my last two sets here. Only done singles for the last two weeks for bodacious beasts and I was feeling the volume.

Overall felt good! Looking forward to Wednesdays workout.

3 hours ago, Chaosbane said:

It makes more sense in the contexts that it is discussed in with Dr Austin Barak.

But I like the roo:)

Would you say it's.... nuanced?

1 hour ago, Chaosbane said:

Just found this and gotta share it.

18671590_1056662867799453_83805817491043

One of my colleagues photoshopped this after myself and another colleague finished the spartan trifecta

You now have to run your next spartan with physical lightsabers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So, doing well on my quests... apart from monitoring my eating. I am still having a few too many sugars I think - but I don't go OTT.

Started learning Python in preparation for my next OU course starting in October.

I haven't cut down on my caffeine all that much :/ Two costas, two coffees, a red bull and caffeinated pre workout and a wake up jimmy joy. Well over 1g of caffeine today, still no where near what I was having late last year when my son was ill and I was sleeping 1-3 hours/night.

Also haven't started on my proposal for work..

Okay, maybe my quests aren't going well :/ Dang

At least my workout went ok.

All weights in Kg

Bench:

Warmups: 20*20, 40*5, 60*5, 70*5, 80*1

Work: 85 5 reps 3 sets

My arms are just so damn weak compared to my lower body. Hopefully the additional pressing work added in to my routine helps this over the next few weeks.

Deadlift:

Warmups: 60x10, 80x5, 100x5, 120x5, 140x1 (Strapless, chalk on 100+)

Work: With straps, 155x5

Tough.

Barbell Row:

I notice the difference doing this after bench and deadlift.

75, 8 reps 3 sets

Overhead Press:

50x8, 50x6

Cut my OHP short. This was meant to be a 'low stress' week. It wasn't low stress :)

On 8/13/2018 at 4:13 PM, Chaosbane said:

Quests?!

Physical:

• Start incorporating GPP back in to my routine. Got a rough left ankle at the moment, so going to get my bike repairs for some low impact lunch time cardio.
  • Keep putting on weight, but do it a bit healthier than I have been.
  • Lift heavier than I have ever lifted before! In 6 weeks time,  two week cycles of the above routine.

Mental:

• Start my datacamp Python course in preparation for my next OU module
  • Cut down caffeine, my monster addiction is ludicrous.

Family

• Be 'present', mentally, not physically

Work

• Proposal for new position

Work:

So my work quest is going ok. Almost finished updating my CV - Last did it over 3 years ago! Then I have to submit the proposal to my boss.

Family:

Been spending as much time with my family as I can before university starts again, went to visit my Dad, Gran, Stepmum and little brother which was nice.

Mental:

Slowly cutting down my caffeine, but I still look forward to lunch at work just to go and get my energy drink fix.

I've started my pre-work for my next university course, so easing myself back in to the routine of studying.

Physical:

I'm not monitoring my caloric intake other than trying to make sure I get enough protein. My weight is fluctuating around 85Kg at the moment. I need to decide whether I am going to cut a little to try and compete in the 83Kg next year, or try to bulk up to 90~.

Workout:

Weights in Kg

Messed my workout up today and did it in the wrong order. But hey

Squat

Warmups: 20x12, 40x10, 60x5, 80x5, 100x5, 120x1

Work: 130x5, 130x5, 130x7

This went swimmingly. Unracked the bar on the last set and I just felt like I found the perfect position. The weight felt light.

Press

Warmup: 20x10, 30x5, 40x5, 50x2

Work: 3 sets 60x5

Superset Close-Grip Bench & Chins:

I would preferred to not have had to superset these, as my lifts suffered. But didn't get my son to sleep until gone 8.30 so was a bit time limited.

70KgX8, 70Kgx6, 70Kgx7

8,6,4 reps

• Like 2

On 8/17/2018 at 4:31 PM, Chaosbane said:

Work:

So my work quest is going ok. Almost finished updating my CV - Last did it over 3 years ago! Then I have to submit the proposal to my boss.

UGH updating CVs is THE WORST. Congrats on slogging through it all!

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 2:31 PM, Chaosbane said:

Good luck!

• Like 1

I'm done with LP!

Thats it, I'm done with LP. I'm not gaining anything on it anymore, I'm just realising old strength over and over. I want to do it, because I think I like it... but really I don't, I like the simplicity. I'm bored of it, demotivated from doing the same workouts for months and I think a new routine will pick this back up. I've been running it far too long anyway.

I'm not even going to log my workout for tonight. Just did my bench and squats and got my reps but, I'm going to look at doing some home made blocks for block pulls and deficit deadlifts, using chipboard and horse stall mats. Then move on to the Bridge routine by BBM.

• Like 2

Let me know how you like the bridge.  I'm probably a couple weeks from finishing LP and moving onto either the Bridge or maybe the GPP template.  I have a fair amount of weight to shave off.  If I do the Bridge first, I'd just probably be doing GPP after.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Let me know how you like the bridge.  I'm probably a couple weeks from finishing LP and moving onto either the Bridge or maybe the GPP template.  I have a fair amount of weight to shave off.  If I do the Bridge first, I'd just probably be doing GPP after.

Sounds like you want to bridge over to a new program.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Will do, I'll create a battle log here when I start it, probably next week. I'm going to see if I can order some cheap 20mm horse stall mats and get some cheap 20mm wood, chipboard or something, to make 4 stackable 1.5"/4cm~ blocks. The bridge has rack pulls, but I don't have a rack to do them... and even if I did I wouldn't want to damage my rack/bar doing rack pulls. So I am going to swap them for block pulls. These will also work nicely for deficit deadlifts when it comes to them.

I'm only 85Kg, and I'll probably look to getting to 90-93 for that weight class, but I am actually going to be cutting until October 14th on the bridge, as I have a 10k OCR (the last running event I am doing so I can fully concentrate on lifting). Then I will probably run the bridge again, but on a caloric surplus, as I wont really be able to judge my RPE and the effectiveness of the program while on a deficit. Obviously you can, but not to the extent I would like to.

After the second round, I will likely run one of the GPP templates. But that's a few months away yet so who knows.

Well, did my first run in a few weeks today. Going to start adding some GPP as per the barbell medicine prescription.

Still manages a sub 7 minute mile, I think last time I went running I was under 80Kg, or if I can run since breaking 80 it's not been much.

Will hit my Press, Deadlift, Chins and close-grip bench tomorrow. And then go for a 25 minute 5k on Thursday.

I think on Friday instead of hitting my normal squat, I'm going to try and find my RPE 8 for 1 count paused squat.

• Like 2

On 8/21/2018 at 3:17 PM, Chaosbane said:

Well, did my first run in a few weeks today. Going to start adding some GPP as per the barbell medicine prescription.

Still manages a sub 7 minute mile, I think last time I went running I was under 80Kg, or if I can run since breaking 80 it's not been much.

Will hit my Press, Deadlift, Chins and close-grip bench tomorrow. And then go for a 25 minute 5k on Thursday.

I think on Friday instead of hitting my normal squat, I'm going to try and find my RPE 8 for 1 count paused squat.

I am always curious to ask because it seems everyone interprets this a little differently - how do you decide what an "RPE 8" is for you?

On 8/26/2018 at 2:08 PM, Brovatar Korra said:

I am always curious to ask because it seems everyone interprets this a little differently - how do you decide what an "RPE 8" is for you?

Over time I have learnt how my reps feel. That Is, I can judge based a few factors such as bar speed, how the rep felt and fatigue how many more reps I think I have left in the tank.

Most people use RPE wrong in my opinion, and just use it as an alternative to % based training basing their RPE8 as a % of their one rep max.

I have been using RPE based training for years, previously in endurance running.

Over time I have learnt how my reps feel. That Is, I can judge based a few factors such as bar speed, how the rep felt and fatigue how many more reps I think I have left in the tank.

Most people use RPE wrong in my opinion, and just use it as an alternative to % based training basing their RPE8 as a % of their one rep max.

I have been using RPE based training for years, previously in endurance running.

Cool! I agree I think the fatigue you have coming into the session is a huge factor. 80% x 3 reps could be anywhere from RPE 6 to 9 depending on the day. Ive been reading a lot about auto-regulation lately so it piqued my curiosity. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

Cool! I agree I think the fatigue you have coming into the session is a huge factor. 80% x 3 reps could be anywhere from RPE 6 to 9 depending on the day. Ive been reading a lot about auto-regulation lately so it piqued my curiosity. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Tuscherer has the best RPE based approach that I've come across. It's super technical but once you get the hang of it, it's quite intuitive. I use an RPE based approach for all my lifts and it works great.

• Like 1

Well, I had to take some time off from training, a bit of a medical emergency in the family.

But all is well (stable at least). So back home and will be back to training tonight!

I'm going to create a new post in the logging section of the forums.