• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Legolas "Cap" Greenleaf

Road to Cap (Part 2)

Bottom line.. in mid May I decided to take my Ranger-self and work towards my Warrior skills and away from my Scout, more Captain America and less Steve Rogers.  I am 6'5" and at the May 2018 start weighed ~168. I've been 200+ pounds of relatively lean muscle in my late teen years... but that was quite some time ago.  I've been incredibly into running the past half decade, which of course hurts muscle maintenance and gains. My diet also has not been sufficient I have found, which of course can result in further muscle loss.

Last challenge started at 175.2, with a focus on weight lifting goals and a 2 pound weight gain goal.  (https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/109427-the-road-to-cap/) Finished at 179.4 and hit all but my squat goal (though I improved form a lot there).

Long-term goal: May 2019 achieve 190 pounds (+~22 from May 2018)... 9.8 pounds to go

Challenge goal:

Weight gain: +2 pounds

Weight as of 31 August: 180.2

Same weight gain goal as last time.  Don't want to shoot for more than 2 per month as a goal yet.  Certainly don't want to put on a ton of unnecessary fat.

Track food intake in MyFitnessPal:

Goals: min 3200 calories

Min protein: 1.20 grams * pounds starting weight= 216 grams

I expect to struggle to track this first week as I'll be traveling for work. But I'll do  my best!

Fitness brain goal:

Read Starting Strength – Just got my copy today, 13 Aug

Fitness quest goals:

All lifts are anticipated as part of a set; rather than a 1 rep max. Though I may test a 1 rep max of a few lifts at some point, the goals are based upon a set of reps. All lifts are part of a larger workout (Basically I’m doing more than just what is listed below.).

Benchpress: Finished last quest at 205 @ 5 reps; Goal this quest: 215 @ min 5 reps (1.19x start weight)

Squat: Focus is on form this quest; Goal complete 50/50 challenge: 50 reps at 50% of bodyweight in 1 set (currently at ~28)

Squat side quest of 150 @ min 5 reps

Deadlift: Finished last quest at 195 @ 6 reps; Goal this quest 215 @ min 5 reps (1.19x start weight)

Deadlift side quest of a comfortable 1RM of 250 (1.39 x start weight)

Straight Leg Deadlift: Finished last quest at 175@ 6 reps; Goal this quest 180 @ min 5 reps (1.00x start weight)

Pull ups: New this quest; Goal to complete 25 straight

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Grymm said:

Holy smokes!  They call a 20 rep squat set a widowmaker.  What's a 50 rep set?

Death.

Says the nerd who did a month of full body 50 rep sets just to see how awful it was.

>_>

• Haha 2

Also, Welcome to the Warriors!

Related image

We're glad you decided to join us! And I'm really glad to see someone that is looking for a weight GAIN goal. We all too often think we need to be smaller. Good on you to recognize that being a bit heavier is more ideal for you. 50 rep sets will make that harder, though. Also doesn't play well with starting strength, but you can work it in.

On 8/14/2018 at 4:40 PM, Grumble said:

Also, Welcome to the Warriors!

Related image

We're glad you decided to join us! And I'm really glad to see someone that is looking for a weight GAIN goal. We all too often think we need to be smaller. Good on you to recognize that being a bit heavier is more ideal for you. 50 rep sets will make that harder, though. Also doesn't play well with starting strength, but you can work it in.

Thanks! And thanks for the input.  I think the reason I wanted to start with the 50/50 goal is to really work on my squat form (which is admittedly weak).  Reading starting strengths squat section I think has helped immensely.  I think the 50/50 goal is more of a "I did it" accomplishment at this point than a "This is how I'll get strong" goal.  I agree that it is counter to the starting strength mentality (now that I've read some of it).  I might just test myself on the 50/50 goal a couple of times this month and see if I can hit it, instead of having it be a focus of my squat work.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Saturday 18 August 2018

Spent a week in Los Angeles for work so my food tracking was sparse.  I find it hard to be accurate when eating out.  So I just ate what I thought felt right and tried to get some solid workouts in.  Luckily, this week I was near a “real gym” so I didn’t have to rely on a dumbbell only workout. Being back home this week should help with some of these quests.

Weight: 181.8  (+1.6... I expect this to fluctuate this week as I'm back from travel)

Exercise:

Benchpress: Goal this quest: 215 @ min 5 reps (1.19x start weight)

This week: Max 190 & 8 reps

Squat: Goal complete 50/50 challenge: 50 reps at 50% of bodyweight in 1 set

This week: 28 / 50

This week: 4 sets at 115. 10/8/8/8 reps

Deadlift: Goal this quest 215 @ min 5 reps (1.19x start weight)

This week: COMPLETE 15 Aug: 225 @ 5 reps …. Well THAT was unexpected. I’ll have to see if I can get a little higher before the end of this challenge. 240? 250? We’ll see. I think it helped that I started that workout with DL instead of Squats.. Fresh legs / back helps.

This week: Did not attempt a 1RM. Given I did 5 reps at 225 I think this goal is within reach.

Straight Leg Deadlift: Goal this quest 180 @ min 5 reps (1.00x start weight)

This week: No straight leg deadlift work.  Will likely work some in tomorrow.

Pull ups: Goal to complete 25 straight

This week: Opened sets up with 17 straight.  25 will be tough but it is possible.

Fitness brain goal: Read Starting Strength:

This week: Finished Squat section. 

23 hours ago, Legolas Greenleaf said:

Spent a week in Los Angeles for work so my food tracking was sparse.  I find it hard to be accurate when eating out.  So I just ate what I thought felt right and tried to get some solid workouts in.  Luckily, this week I was near a “real gym” so I didn’t have to rely on a dumbbell only workout. Being back home this week should help with some of these quests.

I wish I had known, I'd have directed you to some amazing LA food spots!

Saturday 25 August 2018

Overall solid week!  Couple of Challenge goals completed.  Hopefully the weight one stays completed.

Weight: 183.2  (+3) (Quest Goal +2)  COMPLETE 25 Aug

Weekly Calorie Average: 3,284 (Goal min of 3,200) … stay on target… stay on target…

Protein Intake:   213 grams (Goal min of 216)

Exercise:

Benchpress:

Goal this quest: 215 @ min 5 reps (1.19x start weight)

This week:  205 @ 4 reps…. 200 @ 6 reps though (What a min of 5 reps for quest lifts). Getting close to the 215 @ min of 5

Challenge Max: 205 @ 4 reps

Squat:

Goal complete 50/50 challenge: 50 reps at 50% of bodyweight in 1 set

This week: 25 / 50 .. Didn’t really focus on this.  Did the challenge once at the very end of my squat workout. Only way this will happen is if it is right at the start.  I’m not sure how much I’m going to care about this one though, as it is really more endurance than strength for me.   

Challenge Max: 28 / 50

This week: 135 @ 7 reps; Working on that Starting Strength form.

Challenge Max: 135 @ 7 reps

Deadlift:

Goal this quest 215 @ min 5 reps (1.19x start weight)   COMPLETE 15 Aug: 225 @ 5 reps; Increased to 225 @ 6 reps 20 August

This week: 225 @ 6 reps

Challenge Max: 225 @ 6 reps  

This week: Did not attempt because I simply forgot about this one.  If my back is feeling good this week I may consider a 1RM.  But this one will probably wait until near the end of the challenge.  

Challenge Max: N/A

Straight Leg Deadlift:

Goal this quest 180 @ min 5 reps (1.00x start weight) COMPLETE 24 Aug: 205 @ 5 reps

This week:  205 @ 5 reps COMPLETE!!!!

Challenge Max: 205 @ 5 reps

Pull ups:

Goal to complete 25 straight

This week: 20 straight…. Those arms seem to get burned out before the back… need to examine if I’m activating enough back muscle!

Challenge Max: 20 straight

Fitness brain goal:

Read Starting Strength:

This week: Got distracted with pleasure reading.  Re-reading Orson Scott Cards Ender series… Finished up Speaker for the Dead this week…. Xenocide… or Laura Hillenbrand’s “Unbroken”  might do it…

Challenge: Finished Squat section. 

• Like 1

Saturday 1 September 2018

Overall solid week!  Couple of Challenge goals completed.  BUTTTTT…. The weight dropped a bit.  I started making it a point to run at least 2 times during the week, which might have had something to do with it.  Love running a few 5Ks in the run seasons, so I have to train for running at least a LITTLE… or I’ll suck.  And that my friends is not acceptable.  

Weight: 182  (+1.8) (Quest Goal +2)  COMPLETE 25 Aug  Really think running and maybe missing calorie goals a few days contributed.  Could just be water weight.  Who knows?

Weekly Calorie Average: 3,298 (Goal min of 3,200) … stay on target… stay on target…

giphy.gif

Protein Intake:   215 grams (Goal min of 216)

Exercise:

Benchpress:

Goal this quest: 215 @ min 5 reps (1.19x start weight)

This week:  195 @ 8 reps  Didn’t go as heavy this week.  Worked in some dumbbell chest work, etc. to mix it up a bit. Still think 215 may be within reach before the end.  

Challenge Max: 205 @ 4 reps

Squat:

Goal complete 50/50 challenge: 50 reps at 50% of bodyweight in 1 set

This week:  Didn’t even do try this week.  May give it one more shot just for the heck of it, but not sure how much I care. Now that my form is feeling better with squats this quest just isn’t as appealing.    

Challenge Max: 28 / 50

Squat side quest of 150 @ min 5 reps ; COMPLETE 31 Aug  150 @ 6 REPS

This week: 150 @ 6 reps; COMPLETE!!!! More tempted to work on expanding on this than the 50/50 above!

Challenge Max: 150 @ 6 reps

Deadlift:

Goal this quest 215 @ min 5 reps (1.19x start weight)   COMPLETE 15 Aug: 225 @ 5 reps; Increased to 225 @ 6 reps 20 August

This week: 215 @ 8 reps … Getting more and more comfortable at heavy weight. Form is getting stronger for sure.

Deadlift side quest of a comfortable 1RM of 250 (1.39 x start weight) COMPLETE 28 Aug : 1RM @ 255

This week: 1RM @ 255  ; COMPLETE!!!! . Felt like I could have done a lot more, but I want to be careful.  Certainly don’t want to screw myself up going too big too fast.

Challenge Max: 1RM @ 255

Is it wrong to say I've come to LOVE deadlift days?  I feel like Stacy after reading her stuff on NF.. "Yes! Deadlift day!!!"

giphy.gif

Straight Leg Deadlift:

Goal this quest 180 @ min 5 reps (1.00x start weight) COMPLETE 24 Aug: 205 @ 5 reps

This week:  195 @ 8 reps; Dropped down max weighted set a bit but increased first 2 sets.  

Challenge Max: 205 @ 5 reps

Pull ups:

Goal to complete 25 straight

This week: 21 straight…. Getting…. So… close….

Challenge Max: 21 straight

Fitness brain goal:

Read Starting Strength:

This week: Some distraction again.. BUT finished Press section and got started on Deadlift.  Hoping reading DL section will help with those DLs above!

Challenge: Finished Squat, Press, and started DL.

• Like 1

Wednesday 5 September 2018

Won’t be able to log the rest of the week, so for me this challenge ends today!  Time to wrap up and see how I did.

Weight: 183  (+2.8) (Quest Goal +2)  COMPLETE 5 Sept   Recaptured the weight I dropped on my Saturday weigh in.  Clearly some water weight fluctuation going on, but some real weight gain too.  Challenge weight goal complete! 

Next month may keep the same goal, but travel may mess with ability to hit it.  Have to think about it.  

Weekly Calorie Average: 3,253 (Goal min of 3,200) Pretty consistent here.  Seemed a comfortable goal this challenge, may shoot for about the same next month.  

Protein Intake:   216 grams (Goal min of 216) .. Again ~215+ seemed reasonable to hit and at 183 is equal to 1.17 grams per pound of body weight.  From what I’ve read this seems reasonable for muscle growth.  Anyone disagree and think more is needed?

Exercise:

Benchpress:

Goal this quest: 215 @ min 5 reps (1.19x start weight) COMPLETE 1 Sep 215 @ 6 reps

This week:  215 @ 6 Reps COMPLETE!!!

Challenge Max: 215 @ 6 Reps

Squat:

Goal complete 50/50 challenge: 50 reps at 50% of bodyweight in 1 set  MISSED IT!

OK.. I’ll say it.. this quest sucked.  For those that haven’t done this and think it is easy, go try it.  It is a challenge of endurance at least as much, if not more, than strength. It also either drains you at the start of your squat work or becomes even more difficult at the end of it.  Doubt I’ll do it again… but who knows..

This week:   30/50… hit 50 over two sets of 30 and 20.. but not what I was shooting for. 

Challenge Max: 30 / 50

Squat side quest of 150 @ min 5 reps ; COMPLETE 31 Aug  150 @ 6 REPS. 

Definitely going to keep this in for the next challenge.  The question is really just how high to set the bar in terms of weight.

This week: Only did the 50/50 challenge this week in terms of squats.  Did some goblet squat work, as well as my DLs, but no “heavier” squats.

Challenge Max: 150 @ 6 reps

Deadlift:

Definitely doing DL next quest.  Only question is goal weight.

This week: 215 @ 8 reps Increased weight of starting sets rather than the heave set.  

Deadlift side quest of a comfortable 1RM of 250 (1.39 x start weight) COMPLETE 28 Aug : 1RM @ 255

Goal next quest will probably be ~275 or so.

This week: N/A – Didn’t attempt.

Challenge Max: 1RM @ 255

Straight Leg Deadlift:

Goal this quest 180 @ min 5 reps (1.00x start weight) COMPLETE 24 Aug: 205 @ 5 reps; increase to 205 @ 8 reps on 4 Sep

I like the SLDL as a compliment to the squat and regular DL. Have to keep it in there for next time too. 225 or so for the goal I’m thinking.

This week:  205 @ 8 reps; most reps at this weight!  

Challenge Max: 205 @ 8 reps

Pull ups:

Goal to complete 25 straight COMPLETE 1 Sept

This week: 25  COMPLETE!!!

Challenge Max: 25 straight

Fitness brain goal:

Read Starting Strength: MISSED IT!  Good read.  I just didn’t take the time to finish it up.  It will get done though.

This week: Read some more DL section.  

Challenge: Finished Squat, Press, and started DL.

OVERALL EVALUATION:

Overall I thought this was a really successful challenge for me.  I hit almost all of my quests, and all of my side quests.  Only the wonderful 50/50 challenge eluded me from an exercise perspective.  And only my inability to avoid distraction with other readings stopped me from finishing SS.  I will say what I have read on SS has immediately been helpful though.

Next challenge… heavier weight… more muscle.. and more success! 

giphy.gif

• Like 2