• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kwesadilo

Kwesadilo keeps the lights on

This challenge will be pretty bare-bones, because there's a chance that logistical challenges will take up a good chunk of my free time.

Goals

• Keep progressing on my squat while maintaining good form. Today, I attempted 235x5x3 after struggling to nail my form on 240 for over a week, and I still blew it.
  • Do mobility work every day.

I'm still going to try to work on SICP and do new stuff, but I won't make those things formal goals.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2018 at 8:41 PM, kwesadilo said:

This challenge will be pretty bare-bones, because there's a chance that logistical challenges will take up a good chunk of my free time.

Goals

• Keep progressing on my squat while maintaining good form. Today, I attempted 235x5x3 after struggling to nail my form on 240 for over a week, and I still blew it.
  • Do mobility work every day.

I'm still going to try to work on SICP and do new stuff, but I won't make those things formal goals.

Hi!

Gah not hitting the numbers you had in mind walking into the gym is super frustrating. Squats are the movement I struggle with the most too.

Squats have the most movement at the most joints which I think make it the hardest to really lock in technique.  I'm not sure I could do an RPE 10 squat.  I would probably have enough form issues that would prevent me from really putting forth the full effort.  Maybe some lighter work as tempo or paused squats would help reinforce the form some.

On 8/13/2018 at 9:49 PM, jenglish said:

Catch me up. What is SICP?

A (computer) programming book that I've been working my way through for longer than I care to admit.

On 8/16/2018 at 11:00 PM, Brovatar Korra said:

Hi!

Gah not hitting the numbers you had in mind walking into the gym is super frustrating. Squats are the movement I struggle with the most too.

And, once upon a time, squats were my most reliable lift, too. I find it especially frustrating when I do a set that I already did last week, and it's easy, and my form feels fine, and then I look at the video, and it's wrong.

On 8/16/2018 at 11:09 PM, Grymm said:

Squats have the most movement at the most joints which I think make it the hardest to really lock in technique.  I'm not sure I could do an RPE 10 squat.  I would probably have enough form issues that would prevent me from really putting forth the full effort.  Maybe some lighter work as tempo or paused squats would help reinforce the form some.

I have definitely done squats sets where I absolutely could not have done one more, but that was before I was taking form videos. If I did a genuinely hard squat now, it would look terrible.

Week 1 update

Squat: I took a few days off squatting to troubleshoot some weird knee pain. I didn't really think squats were causing it, and the break didn't help. Today, to stop the bleeding, I squatted 225x5x3, which I knew I could do with good form.

Mobility: Did this every day, a couple times at the expense of some sleep.

I did not work on SICP this week, but I did select and order a bit of camping gear.

Apparently, not all of the formatting tools are available on mobile, and I have temporarily rendered my computer unusable.

13 hours ago, kwesadilo said:

A (computer) programming book that I've been working my way through for longer than I care to admit.

It's a classic.  Definitely one still worth spending time on.  You might like http://www.sicpdistilled.com/ to see some of the examples from the first two chapters in Clojure instead of Scheme. 

On 8/21/2018 at 11:29 AM, Grumble said:

I read that as SCP, and had concerns about a containment breach.

This is my first time hearing about that. I immediately thought of the scp Unix command, which I have not had much occasion to use since college, now that I think about it.

On 8/21/2018 at 11:52 AM, MaD MaLKaV said:

It's a classic.  Definitely one still worth spending time on.  You might like http://www.sicpdistilled.com/ to see some of the examples from the first two chapters in Clojure instead of Scheme. 

It might be too late for that. I got bogged down in the math problems that comprise most of chapter 2, and I've been grinding my way through those for I think the better part of a year. I could just skip ahead, but I'm a completist at heart. I've never used Clojure (or any Lisp besides Scheme).

I think I erred significantly in starting the project using MIT Scheme. I don't know how debugging is really supposed to work for a program with no mutable state, but to  my GDB-accustomed eye, the MIT Scheme debugger sucks balls, and I've thrown too many hours at it. I've read since then that Racket (with DrRacket) provides a much easier development experience, including an SICP compatibility mode with modules for the stuff that the SICP problems just assume that you have. Now that I'm a few thousand lines of code in, I'm reticent to switch. It's possible that I could backport my previous solutions without many code changes, but I would also need to change the line numbers for the code snippets in all of my LaTeX writeups. (As you've probably gathered, I am also somewhat of a masochist at heart.)

I've noticed something kind of interesting while I've been doing this. I might have thought that, having approximately a decade of programming experience under my belt, that I would be able to get through a freshman programming problem set fairly quickly, but I actually seem to be working much more slowly than I did in school. I won't discount the idea that I have actually gotten stupider, but it occurred to me that, in college, homework had deadlines, and if I didn't finish it by the deadline, I just turned in whatever I had. With this project, I just bang my head on the same problem for days until I get it.

On 8/21/2018 at 3:04 PM, jenglish said:

Is that another area of trying new stuff?

Yeah. I usually enjoy doing outdoor activities, but they require a certain amount of preparation and know-how. I'd like to get to the point where I can do them spontaneously or at least frequently.

Week 2 update

• Squat: Did 245x5x3 tonight with good form and only one extra rep.
  • Mobility: Did this every day. The actual exercises only take the advertised 10-15 minutes. I spend probably that much time again looking them up in the book and setting up the necessary equipment. Maybe I will get more efficient after I get used to them, but the extra time is a little bit of a drag.

I again did not work on SICP but did select a few more camping items.

12 hours ago, kwesadilo said:

This is my first time hearing about that. I immediately thought of the scp Unix command, which I have not had much occasion to use since college, now that I think about it.

Completely different beast. If you like a little horror in your sci-fi and a little sci-fi in your horror, I recommend checking out THIS LINK as it gets you the best stories associated with the internet phenomenon.

14 hours ago, kwesadilo said:

Yeah. I usually enjoy doing outdoor activities, but they require a certain amount of preparation and know-how. I'd like to get to the point where I can do them spontaneously or at least frequently.

I'll warn you camping gear is addictive haha.

Workout gear and camping gear are what I spend my time window (well screen anyway) shopping for

Week 3 update

• Squat: Squatted 250x5x3 on Friday. I didn't lift today. This weekend involved a lot of vegetating and staying up late for no particular reason.
  • Mobility: I missed Friday. I forgot to write down my program before I went to the gym, and then when I got home, I stayed up late drinking with my neighbors.

Week 4 update

• Squat: Squatted 265x5x3 today with good form. It's getting heavy enough that the last reps are genuinely challenging to complete, and not just to have good bar path. I'm still progressing roughly linearly, though.
    • This went well overall. I got stuck briefly. I'm not sure what determines good days vs bad days, in terms of form.
  • Mobiilty: Did this every day.
    • Only missed one day overall.