• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jarric

Jarric Writes a Challenge Really Quickly

Huh!  A knackers yard... interesting!    I've been listening to Penance Podcast's Curse of Strahd, and at one point the GM has the NPC say, "Well my sister's not gonna leave till we plant our dad..."

And even his other players (I believe he is Scottish and not sure on the others, but all Brits) were like,... PLANT!?   They meant bury of course, but it was just glorious.

If you're feeling more better with the sleeping in, it sounds like your body needed it Jarric.  I love the 'not all is lost' attitude!

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 2:41 PM, Starpuck said:

Huh!  A knackers yard... interesting!    I've been listening to Penance Podcast's Curse of Strahd, and at one point the GM has the NPC say, "Well my sister's not gonna leave till we plant our dad..."

And even his other players (I believe he is Scottish and not sure on the others, but all Brits) were like,... PLANT!?   They meant bury of course, but it was just glorious.

If you're feeling more better with the sleeping in, it sounds like your body needed it Jarric.  I love the 'not all is lost' attitude!

Haha, yeah, I hadn't come across saying "plant" to mean bury until I listened to that episode it's a fantastically dark way of putting it!

I'm not sure if I am feeling better, I totally crashed last night and went to be about half 9! Still, it's a 3 day weekend coming up, so that might sort me out :) 

19 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Hope you are feeling better and get some rest this weekend.

Thank you! I got no physical rest whatsoever this weekend, but in a good way! Update coming.

• Like 1

Ok, I think I can safely say I've failed all of my challenge goals, but I still think it's important to come back and start updating again here, if only to keep myself a little accountable.

Throughout weeks 2 and 3 not only did I not stick to my workout plan, I did literally nothing I had planned at all! I did go climbing about 5 times in those 2 weeks, so that counts for something, but there was no running and no lifting and no swimming.

And then this weekend I went to Nuts Challenge. It's a lapped OCR which is 7km per lap, and which I last ran on my birthday in March whilst it was snowing. On the Saturday I marshalled the course along with @Rhovaniel, @Charlie_Quinn and Stu, and then on the Sunday I ran with Stu while Rho and Charlie marshalled again.

The Saturday was, not exactly hard work, but a long day. I spent most of the time stood on the side of a hill cheering people on and trying to make sure they went the right way, and it was really fun and rewarding, but it was about 8-10 hours of being on my feet. The Sunday was excellent fun, it's a brilliant course with a good mix of larger and smaller obstacles, plenty of trenches and rivers to slow you down and a decent woodland run section. Stu hurt his wrist and decided it was best to drop out after one lap, while I pushed on for a second. I was slightly worried about that decision as I already had a niggling pain in my right knee by that point, but I'd set out to do 2 laps and I intended to do just that. Towards the end of the second lap my knee totally gave out, and with that on top of the normal cuts, scrapes and bruises I was feeling pretty broken by the end.

And despite how busy the weekend was and what I put my body through, I felt more energetic and motivated than I had in the two weeks previous. It was a real reminder of how much exercise helps my mental state, and that I need to keep this up not to look good or to show off, but because I'm a better, happier person when I exercise.

Yesterday I took a rest day, and given that I was limping all day I think it was a good call. This morning I got up and went for a slow run which ended up as 4 miles including the half mile walk at the start and about a quarter of a mile walking at the end. I already feel much better and my knee seems fine, so back to the plan for the rest of the week!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Jarric said:

my mental state, and that I need to keep this up not to look good or to show off, but because I'm a better, happier person when I exercise.

So much truth ight here. Glad you were able to connect to that

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

So much truth ight here. Glad you were able to connect to that

Yeah, I was kind of dimly aware that exercise helped my mental state, but I really didn't appreciate how much until this weekend.

• Like 1

Last night I was so drained from work I went home and went straight to bed for a nap. After that I did feel a lot better though, so I cooked burgers with sweet potato fries and baked beans and chilled out in front of Critical Role. I may have also signed up to Nuclear Blast on Saturday, so more racing for me :D .

This morning I swan. Well, I spent my first 5-10 minutes in the pool trying to fix my goggles because I clearly wasn't awake enough to perform such a complex task, but then I swam. Only a short session in the end, and I was amazed at how beat up my shoulders were from climbing over things at Nuts last weekend, but it was good to get out there anyway.

Tonight WW's cooking my favourite - Swedish meatballs - and we're going to watch Bake-Off before I go out for snooker practice.

• Like 2