• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RogueLibrarian

RogueLibrarian: Jedibrarian

j4ragmnmhnbk6ag4qgkn.png

I am one with the Force and the Force is with me, so somehow I'll get through the start of fall semester.

If you're just tuning in, I am: a middle-aged vegetarian academic librarian bisexual nerd about 2 years into this fitness thing and I do kickboxing and rock climbing and sometimes I write both fiction and nonfiction and I mostly like bodyweight exercise and I meditate pretty much every day which helps with my general anxiety and I'm way into thief/rogue/assassin fantasy characters. OKAY YOU'RE CAUGHT UP.

This challenge is going to be very much about staying the course and maintaining the good habits while there's a lot going on. Of note:

• Classes at my university start in less than a week, so this is the busiest time of the year at work
  • I've got a professional presentation to prepare for that's happening in about a month
  • Dragoncon is in two weeks, we have friends coming to town, I've agreed to write a feature about it for a library trade magazine, and most crucially I DO NOT HAVE MY COSTUME SHIT TOGETHER YET. 

So let's clear the mind, strip down this challenge to its bare essentials, and trust our feelings. THE GOALS ARE:

• Work out three times a week. One of those is a rock climbing session and one of them is probably a kickboxing class.
  • Block out two hours a week for the presentation and two hours for other long-term work projects so they don't get lost in the shuffle.
  • Salad Club: Make and eat salad for at least one meal a week.

And may the Force be with us.

source.gif

• Like 4

HI GUYS

Just back from the gym. Solo kickboxing workout today, plus a few pull-up reps for the Quidditch mini beforehand (I meant to stop at the pull-up bar again on the way out, but I was wiped out and forgot.)

I have missed kickpunching! My usual solo workout is five minutes of freestyle, then ten reps of a core move, then back at it, repeat for 30 minutes. Wu-Tang Clan helps.

My work gym is back open and has hot water again (!) but it turns out the climbing wall is closed this week, so I'll substitute something else. My calves are still aching from running on sand a couple of days ago anyway.

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Is it just me or is yout climbing gym closed more often than not?

It probably seems that way since I mention it every time it is. :) It's staffed by students, so they tend to close it when classes are out and they can't staff the gym fully. And I think it's harder for them to staff it all the time, since they have to have specially trained assistants for belaying and can't just move someone from one of the service desks.

I’m so used to “proper” gyms that any closing time is weird. :P Especially here where I get 24/7 access since I have an annual membership. I like that the staff belays though, that’s a bit of a luxury that you’d never find in a full scale climbing gym. But I don’t see a reason why they couldn’t just leave the bouldering gym open and let you rope climb together with a friend.

7 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I’m so used to “proper” gyms that any closing time is weird. :P Especially here where I get 24/7 access since I have an annual membership. I like that the staff belays though, that’s a bit of a luxury that you’d never find in a full scale climbing gym. But I don’t see a reason why they couldn’t just leave the bouldering gym open and let you rope climb together with a friend.

You know, it's possible the bouldering room is open. (I wasn't climbing that day, just checking on whether it was open; bouldering is in a separate room.) It's pretty essential for my climbing that they have staff who belay for climbers, since I go to the gym solo and don't have any friends who climb. Whatever small complaints I have about my gym are always pretty minor. I pay next to nothing (I'm not even sure how much, since it comes out of my paycheck; something like USD$20/month) and it has EVERYTHING I could want. Indoor track, martial arts room, weights, machines, a pool, and a 3-story climbing wall. The only thing I could wish for would be Ninja obstacles.

• Like 1

That’s an amazing good deal. :) Maybe you should suggest they put in a few obstacles, I’m sure it could happen. You already have building skills so you could possibly even volunteer?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

That’s an amazing good deal. :) Maybe you should suggest they put in a few obstacles, I’m sure it could happen. You already have building skills so you could possibly even volunteer?

In my copious spare time :)

So, it's been a couple of rest days, but I've gotten out for afternoon walk breaks so I'm not totally idle. I'm going to try to hit some pull-ups this evening for the mini, and since Hatter has reminded me about our bouldering room, maybe tomorrow's workout will be bouldering + yoga.

Walking in the Atlanta heat this week gives me trepidation about what it's going to be like wearing costumes at the con in two weeks.

Oh, and I haven't tracked my goals at all yet:

Workouts 1/3

Salad club 1/1 (made an avocado and tomato salad that was easy and yummy; probably broccoli salad tomorrow)

Presentation & projects 2/4

8 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I'm going to try to hit some pull-ups this evening for the mini,

Naaa, have a rest, resting is important :D Do it next week. Have some compassion for the poor chasers :P

1cb153bcdf1bea212439fab33ed4a12b.jpg

• Like 1

Okay, good afternoon workout of bouldering + yoga. PLUS SOME PULL-UPS

It's Friday before classes start, and the students are back and filling up my lovely quiet summer gym again. Oh well.

Workouts: 2/3. Tomorrow is kickboxing class.

Work stuff: 3/4 (and likely to stay that way, since it's 3pm and I'm leaving early to get my car from the mechanic, but I was short a day of work this week so I don't feel too bad)

Salad Club: 2/1. I had a broccoli salad today that was pretty good.

th?id=OIP.aR8eO5aaDpJkwDOuFyW8OQHaFj

• Like 1

Very tough kickboxing class today! But I did it. Workouts 3/3.

PLUS SOME PULL-UPS.

You guys, I'm actually seeing some flexibility improvement for ... I think the first time ever? I'm crediting the yoga. I can bend a little farther and touch my toes a little more easily. Very exciting in a very small way.

I think I've ordered the last costume pieces I need for Dragoncon, which is holy shit in about ten days. I still have some sewing to do, but I spent today running errands and didn't get to it. Hopefully some tomorrow.

Current mood: leg muscles

Spoiler

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

If I could just get some new knees installed....

Ah, yup, say no more. I was lucky in that squats helped my knees, but 100% understood. 

I have been snacking and eating less healthy than usual. I have put a few pounds on: only a little, but enough that I want to stop the upward trend. Lunch today was a falafel wrap -- not terrible for me, at least had some vegetables in it. I'm going to try to bring a piece of fruit and a nonfat yogurt for afternoon snacking every day this week to try to redirect the food cravings into something a little healthier.

Workouts 1/3. Suspension strength workout today, with an extra set of pull reps for the mini.

Salad Club 0/1, but I'm picking up salad stuff at the store tonight.

Work projects 0/4: Decided to put in some work prepping for a class and push the project work to later in the week after I teach.