• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverThatBored

NeverThatBored: Da Bu Dee Da Bu Dai

YO LISTEN UP HERE'S THE STORY 

Of how I totally started writing this challenge a week ago and then just left the tab open and forgot about it so whoops?

I basically want to work on the same goals as last time, but try to improve my success rate on the areas where I struggled. I'm already doing Crossfit 3x/week pretty consistently. And I go to Aikido 1-2x/week consistently. Neither of those needs to be a goal right now because I'm already motivated by the fact that I'm paying for them.

So I'm just going to focus on improving my performance in areas I tackled last time. Plus adding in a few things I neglected last time. It's probably more than I should tackle, but we all know I hate making decisions so meh. 

MOVEMENT GOALS

• Goal 1: Walk 16 miles/week. On weekdays, get these walks in either in the morning or at lunchtime. Experiment with walking in new places, or breaking walks into 2 1 mile walks instead of 1 2 mile walk and see if my completion rate improves. My goal is to score better than I did last challenge (>54/64 planned miles).
  • Goal 2: Add back in mobility, which dropped off last challenge. Daily stretches + daily 10 minute "restore" sessions from gymnasticsbodies + at least 2 longer sessions/week. Bonus points for anything extra. Success = 5x/week on the dailies, 2x/week on the longer sessions. This is kind of 3 goals in one... 
  • Goal 3: Do something in the morning if I don't have any early morning meetings. A walk, the above mentioned mobility stuff, etc. I'm aiming for 4 days/week. 
  • Goal 4: Run weekly, shins allowing. Experiment with breaking up the run into 2-3 smaller 1 mile runs. For example, maybe run a mile on the treadmill before each mobility session and see how that feels vs. a longer run. Can I manage 2 runs/week? Can I manage 3? Etc.

FOOD GOALS

• Goal 5: Eat slowly during meals. Success = doing the thing.
  • Goal 6: Eat only when hungry. If I eat when I'm not hungry, record the reason why and how I feel after doing it. Analyze and try to find patterns. Success = doing the thing or writing about not doing the thing.
  • Goal 7: Limit sugar to only once/day. Bonus points for zero times per day, and chain points for any dessert-free streaks.  
  • Goal 8: Do nutrition tasks for each meal. I did really well on this last challenge so I don't think I can beat my score. But I'll aim for at least 90% completion.

BONUS GOALS (failure doesn't count towards total score)

• Bonus goal 1: Do something for my ankles/feet. 5 minutes didn't work at all last challenge, so this time I'm going for any amount of time at all. 
  • Bonus goal 2: Get on my bike 2x this challenge. I did get out during zero week, but I'm having some sort of issue with my bike where the tires feel bumpy. I'll try pumping in more air, and if that doesn't work I'll take it to a bike shop for help. Taking it to a bike shop counts towards this goal. Bonus points for any extra outings.
  • Bonus goal 3: Declutter for a few minutes (1 song length) at least 5 days/week. 

• Like 5

Week 1 To Do:

• Make challenge tracker spreadsheet Done
  • Make rough weekly schedule of when things will happen
  • Put bike pump in car where I am currently keeping my bike
  • Do some food magic to use up loose items in my fridge for the ranger mini
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

@WhiteGhost I'm learning the "Te" form in Japanese now, so I think that song you shared is going to come in handy! 

Glad it will be useful. As a side note, the song also works for he "~ta" form (informal past tense) which follows the exact same rules :)

• Like 2

Ok, so getting a late start on this challenge means that Week 1 is kind of in a weird place. If I didn't have the goal spelled out on those days, I probably shouldn't hold it against myself if I didn't do the thing. So I'll either count Week 1 as a partial week and modify the numbers that way, or I'll just use Week 1 as Week 0 and go into Week 0 of the next challenge as my Week 4. 

ANYWHO - I have my tracker now and I'm thinking a rough weekly schedule might look like this, with Tuesday/Thursday being interchangeable:

Monday - Crossfit after work

Tuesday - Run, stretching session

Wednesday - Crossfit AM or lunctime

Thursday - Aikido

Friday - Crossfit after work

Saturday - Aikido

Sunday - Run, Stretching session

+ daily walks & stretching, and cycling somewhere on the weekends

Unrelated, I keep getting mosquito bites everywhere I go. On Wednesday, I was literally just WALKING DOWN A CITY STREET. And I got covered in mosquito bites. I AM SO ITCHY. If anyone knows any magical treatments for bug bites, please share!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

Unrelated, I keep getting mosquito bites everywhere I go. On Wednesday, I was literally just WALKING DOWN A CITY STREET. And I got covered in mosquito bites. I AM SO ITCHY. If anyone knows any magical treatments for bug bites, please share!

It could be worse:

Spoiler

I've got a bug bite in the space between where my butt meets my thigh..... 

If I weren't following you anyway, I'd be following for magical treatments. 

• Like 3

Ugh, mosquito bites. I bought those bracelets that are supposed to have magical treatments in them to ward off bugs, and now I have about 7 bites on my arms.:dispirited: I did find that Arnica helped somewhat. And Benadryl cream.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

If I weren't following you anyway, I'd be following for magical treatments. 

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Ugh, mosquito bites. I bought those bracelets that are supposed to have magical treatments in them to ward off bugs, and now I have about 7 bites on my arms.:dispirited: I did find that Arnica helped somewhat. And Benadryl cream.

There's a product called chiggerx that used to work WONDERS for me, but it hasn't done much for me recently. I don't know if the bugs biting me are just different, or what. But it might be worth a shot for you guys if you've never tried it. 

0072751000379_500X500.jpg&f=1

None of the other anti-itch stuff seems to do more than provide a few minutes of relief. T_T

• Like 1

THE BEST THING HAPPENED

I was sitting outside of Starbucks talking to my mom on the phone, and a guy walked by with a dog. The dog trotted over and SAT BY MY FEET and wouldn't budge. I got to pet him~~ His owner kept trying to get him to keep walking, but the dog just kept making cute faces at me~~~ 

IT WAS AMAZING

• Like 9

17 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

I AM SO ITCHY. If anyone knows any magical treatments for bug bites, please share!

Burt's Bees used to make a balm that came in a small round container and the balm was green.  I don't remember what it was called but it was amazing for bug bites, especially mosquito bites.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to find it for the last couple of years

• Thanks 1

Burt's Bees used to make a balm that came in a small round container and the balm was green.  I don't remember what it was called but it was amazing for bug bites, especially mosquito bites.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to find it for the last couple of years

Badger Balm makes something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

I just use a zinc oxide cream for anything even remotely irritated. 

19 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

I was sitting outside of Starbucks talking to my mom on the phone, and a guy walked by with a dog. The dog trotted over and SAT BY MY FEET and wouldn't budge. I got to pet him~~ His owner kept trying to get him to keep walking, but the dog just kept making cute faces at me~~~ 

THAT IS THE BEST THING EVER!

• Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 3:26 PM, NeverThatBored said:

Week 1 To Do:

• Make challenge tracker spreadsheet Done
  • Make rough weekly schedule of when things will happen
  • Put bike pump in car where I am currently keeping my bike
  • Do some food magic to use up loose items in my fridge for the ranger mini

The overall week was pretty successful considering that I started late. I was able to backfill some of the tracker for days before I posted from memory, but I also couldn't remember how I did on food most days, so those scores don't tell me a lot this week.

Overall, I've made a big advance on mobility activity over the past two weeks! I'm consistently hitting Crossfit 3x/week and starting to show some progress in my work capacity there. My walking is still stagnant around the 12-14 mile range, so I want to focus on getting that up somehow. I'm also doing surprisingly well so far on getting moving a little bit in the morning. I have to get runs dialed in a little more, but I think that will come naturally this week as I get into the routine of the challenge.

While I don't have food goals tracked for the whole week, I can say I'm finally making good progress on slow eating! My meals are slowing down, I'm enjoying them more, and I'm noticing when I start to get full. STOPPING when I'm full is an entirely different animal...but I'm excited that I'm at least making some progress on mindful eating!

Separately though, I need to get back to healthy eating because my current weight gain just feels terrible aaaaall the friggin' time. "But NTB," you might ask "What does that even mean??" I'm thinking of starting with a renewed focus on vegetables with each meal and rice/potatoes as my main starch sources. Separately, I want to work on stopping when I'm full now that I'm getting better at recognizing when that happens. It also means working on eating at home / what I've prepped more instead of eating out.

I also forgot to report one of my goals when I posted the challenge! I want to do 3 sets of my 3 main bodyweight movements 2x/week. They can all be on different days and whenever I want to do them, but I want to make sure I'm making steady progress on pushups, pullups, and dips around my other progress in crossfit. This is mainly about establishing the habit of getting them in. 

I also cooked a new veggie called Yu Choy for the ranger mini. And meal prepped a ton today.

Week 1 Scores:

• Walked about 13.5/16 miles. Not bad but not where I want to be either. I only walked in the am or around lunch on two days this week, so that needs some attention too. BUT I had a bit of a win on Sunday when it was getting dark and I hadn't walked yet. At first I was thinking it was too late to get my walk in, but then I realized that OF COURSE I could go walk for 20 minutes before it got dark. It might not have been the 3 miles I needed for the day, but it was still mileage. And it was a big win mentally! 
  • Ran a mile on Saturday before stretching, but that was it for the week. I plan to run on stretching days, but since I got a late start my stretching days were back to back and I didn't want to run two days in a row. So...1/1 runs complete for now, but more milage still needed.
  • I did 2/2 longer stretching sessions this week AND I did yoga in the morning one day
  • I did something in the morning 4/4 times! 
  • I did daily stretches and 10 minute restore sessions 5/7 days for the week. Again - late start. This is still really good!
  • I decluttered 5 days, and did something for my feet 3 days! That's already a better score on my feet than all of last challenge combined. 
  • Did dips 2/2 times, pullups 1/2 times, and pushups 0/2 times
  • Like 5

On 8/18/2018 at 3:12 AM, NeverThatBored said:

THE BEST THING HAPPENED

IT WAS AMAZING

:wub:

• Like 1

I don't know why I suddenly got so bad at posting, but it is what it is!

Week 2 went so-so. I wasn't tracking very well during the week, so there are a few categories where I'm not sure if I did the thing or not. Overall, I'm continuing to truck along with 3x/week Crossfit. I also went to Aikido 3 times last week (unheard of!) to get in extra practice because they want me to take a belt test this week. AHHH TESTS ARE SCARY

I also paid off my penultimate student loan!! By the end of this year, I will be debt free. Crazy! 

Work has also picked up, so between that and doing something every night, I guess my lack of posting makes sense. 

In terms of challenge goals, I'm doing so-so. I'm really focusing on the slow eating / eating when I'm hungry and making great progress! I think I successfully did it for every meal last week?? That's unheard of! So unheard of that I keep second guessing whether I actually did it or not. :P I haven't been doing as well with the sugar goal. I didn't track very well, but there were only maybe 3 days this week that I ate 1 or fewer dessert foods. :/ But on the bright side it's better than the week before, so that's still progress~ I think if I can dial back the sugar while continuing to listen to my hunger cues, progress will start to happen. I'm feeling really positive about what I'm accomplishing even though on paper I don't have good scores in all of my food goal areas. 

I've been really on top of morning movement and getting in my daily mobility stuff. I only got 1/2 longer mobility sessions in this week, but that's because I'm having issues with the site where I stream videos. I haven't been as good about walking or getting out on said walk early in the day either. I figure I can't focus on everything at once so it's inevitable that something slips. Unfortunately, that thing tends to be walking. Booo. 

In terms of strength/bodyweight movements, I did pullup work twice after crossfit classes but I didn't get in either pushups or dips. That was mainly a planning failure - I need to schedule it. I also did foot/ankle stuff 3-4 days this week. 

Week 3 plans:

• Do better on walking than last week
  • Get in pushups/dips on Tues/Thurs (or whatever day works)
  • Keep up the momentum with mornings, mobility, and slow eating
  • See if I can do just a little bit better than last week on sugar
  • Don't forget those feet/ankles
  • Like 5

On 8/16/2018 at 12:58 AM, NeverThatBored said:

I'm already doing Crossfit 3x/week pretty consistently

Hey how long has this been going on?! I didn't know you were a Crossfitter. What's your favorite and least favorite movements?

3 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

By the end of this year, I will be debt free. Crazy! 

Awesome, it's such a great feeling, that's really something to look forward to :) 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Endor said:

Hey how long has this been going on?! I didn't know you were a Crossfitter. What's your favorite and least favorite movements?

I think I started in February? March? Sometime around then! I started doing 2x/week and went up to 3x about a month ago. 

Favorites...I mean, deadlifts obvi. Other than that I can't say I have any strong favorites. Sled pulls are fun but we don't do them very often. I like pullups/pulling movements but I'm also super weak at them. Rowing is growing on me a lot too. 

Least favorites...assault bike, lunges, and split jerks probably. WTF even are split jerks for?? I also hate battle ropes, but fortunately I've never actually had to do them in a WOD here. I get pretty grumpy about wall balls too, although I'm slowly getting over that one.

What about you??

• Like 1

What about you??

Frickin wall balls, I hate them! Close though between wall balls, thrusters and burpees, probably thrusters for ultimate suck especially in a long WOD. That Open WOD with Thrusters a couple years back was the worst workout ever for me. 

My fave is cleans, I like a nice heavy technical movement, pulling a PR clean is awesome :) 

I've quit crossfit for now though, my coach pissed me off (long story) and I was a bit tired of the high reps of the same movement, also got injured a lot. I'm doing a similar class now called F45 that is functional circuit training. Basically a 45 min EMOM. The weights are a lot lighter but it's faster and keeps me engaged better. I've changed my sport of choice from Squash to Football (soccer) as well so this style of cardio based stuff is prepping me better for the football I think. 

I enjoyed Crossfit though, might go back at some point.  

WTF even are split jerks for??

Seems like purely for fun of it, nothing really functional there. I didn't do a great deal as I had shoulder and wrist injuries for a long time. 

• Like 1