The (Geeky) Wing Chun Warrior Battle Log

AUGUST 15, 2018

All righty, here we go! I'm following a nutrition plan from someone I am working with, and a training routine that I developed. The day is not over yet, so this is not a complete picture. I will include what has yet to be done or eaten at the end.

Nutrition

Custard & "Fitness Fudge" (breakfast)

Pepper Jack cheese, 6 slices (woke up at midnight hungry, had nothing else small to snack on, need to adjust)

Steak and mixed vegetables (lunch)

Mixed veggies like cucumber, bell peppers, and baby tomatoes (snack)

3 hard-boiled eggs

As for dinner, I'm not sure what I will have, although sausage and kale sounds like it would hit the spot.

Training

3 empty-hand Wing Chun forms

Wooden dummy form

Footwork, 15 minutes

Shadow Boxing, 15 minutes

Heavy Bag, 15 minutes

When I get home, I also plan on doing 15 minutes on this MMA dummy I bought from a place called Celebrita. I nicknamed him "Jimothy." Why? Because I could.

And that is all for today! If I engage in anything unexpected, I will share that tomorrow.

Steve G.

AUGUST 16, 2018

So far today I have done the following:

Nutrition

Custard & "Fitness Fudge" (breakfast)

Sausage and Kale

Coffee (2 cups)

Water

Since I have to do my part-time job tonight, I plan on eating some veggies and 3 hardboiled eggs to hold me over until I get home.

Training

2 empty-hand Wing Chun forms

Wooden dummy form

Pole form

Knives form

Footwork, 15 minutes

Shadow Boxing, 10 minutes

Heavy Bag, 10 minutes

Improvisation on the Wooden Dummy, 10 minutes

Punching my Celebrita Dumymy, 10 minutes

I have to do one more empty hand form, and 5 more minutes of Shadow Boxing.

• Like 1

Steve G.

AUGUST 17, 2018

Well, last night I made another Shakeology with a whopping 3 scoops, mainly because I am trying to tear through the supply I have before the next one gets here. I felt full before drinking all of it, so I put it in the fridge. Around 1:30AM this morning, I woke up to use the bathroom and also had a bit of hunger. So I grabbed SIX slices of pepper jack cheese and, for some reason, a small bag of Lays potato chips! Ugh! (For those who may wonder why those were even in my house: I have 4 kids. LOL) This morning I realized I should have finished off the shake!

Well, live and learn!

• Like 1

Steve G.

Hello again. I did not eat too great over the weekend, but I am not going to take the time to type it all out here. Rest assured that it IS written down in a journal somewhere! Today, I came up with something pretty cool: an alternative to the way I have been training. Well, sort of. It basically involves all the same stuff, but it is shuffled around a bit.

So I have several components to my training. Things I seek to do every day. They are:

1) All 6 forms

2) Shadow Boxing

3) Footwork

4) Improvising on the Wooden Dummy

5) Heavy Bag work

6) Beating up my new Celebrita MMA dummy

Until recently, I was aiming to get at least 45 minutes in between all these activities. However, today I came up with a new setup. Here is how it goes:

Shadow Boxing/Footwork/Improvising on the Wooden Dummy/Heavy Bag work/Beating up my new Celebrita MMA dummy = 10 minutes each, 50 minutes total

Sil Lum Tao, Chum Kiu, and the Wooden Dummy forms = 3 times per day

Biu Jee, Pole, and Butterfly Sword forms = once per day

The amount of time I spend doing the forms will equal 10-12 minutes, which gives me slightly over an hour of practice per day. I even came up with a way to organize it, which I will share in another post. Can't wait to test this out!

• Like 1

Steve G.

So here is how I will structure my day.

I will wake up early enough to do a LOT of martial arts training before I go to work. When I do, it will go like this:

MORNING

Improvise on the wooden dummy, 5 minutes

Biu Jee

Improvise on the wooden dummy, 5 minutes

Pole form

Heavy bag, 5 minutes

Butterfly swords form

Heavy bag, 5 minutes

Wooden dummy form

Celebrita MMA dummy, 5 minutes

Wooden dummy form

Celebrita MMA dummy, 5 minutes

Wooden dummy form

Then I will be out the door and on my way to work. Throughout the day, on my breaks I will do as follows:

THROUGHOUT THE DAY

Footwork, 5 minutes

Sil Lum Tao and Chum Kiu

Shadow Boxing, 5 minutes

Sil Lum Tao and Chum Kiu

Footwork, 5 minutes

Sil Lum Tao and Chum Kiu

Shadow Boxing, 5 minutes

Sil Lum Tao and Chum Kiu

To avoid any kind of boredom, I could even split this down further. For example: do only 2.5 minutes of Footwork, then Sil Lum Tao. Do the other 2.5, and then Chum Kiu.

Man, I got this down to a SCIENCE!

Steve G.

3 hours ago, Kishi said:

Nothing wrong w/ hours of practice if you have the time. On the flip side, though, it may not be a bad idea to have a condensed routine as well, which you save for days where time is at a premium. Just a thought.

I am one step ahead of you! LOL On weekends, I make it a habit of doing just my forms, because I have my kids.

Also, on days that are cramped, I basically take everything you see and cut it in half. So if the full routine gives me an hour, I reduce it to 30 minutes.

• Like 1

Steve G.

Just a random update, since a lot of things have been basically the same for me.

I am running into a snag, which is...things have been basically the same for me!

It's weird how, on some days, I do the routine and I feel great. On others, I feel bored. Why? Because as you can see from previous entries, it is always the same stuff. However, next month I am joining a boxing gym. Hopefully that will give me enough new stuff to train on where I won't even notice the time passing by.

Steve G.

On 8/22/2018 at 12:53 PM, GeekWingChun said:

Thanks! I hope you get some good ideas or inspiration that you can apply to yourself!

Are you currently training anywhere right now?

Just working out at home right now, have a Mook Jong a friend made and try to work reps on that when I can. Goal by end of year is to get back to Boxing, Jujitsu, and Kali. My Wing Chun background comes from JKD so it’s a little less classical and I use it more for counters and entries to tie in with boxing and the dirty boxing aspect of Kali. I did train for a year in more formal Wing Chun and was really impressed with it technically.

Good luck in joining the boxing gym! Always felt that liven up my interest in other traditional training areas.