K-Swiss96's First Nerd Fitness Challenge

K-Swiss96

This is my first-ever post, and my first challenge! I've been reading NF for about a year and love everything about it. Now seems like the right time to "Join the Rebellion" for real.

Background:

After running track in high school and rowing lightweight crew in college, I'm now a 37 year-old father of two boys (ages 6 and 4) who wants to have the physical and spiritual conditioning to lead them as they discover the Force through their Jedi training. (And I'm ignoring the fact that they want to be Sith Warriors rather than Jedi Knights.) I work out regularly, but as I age it takes more work and focus to keep myself presentable and on track.

Stats:

Race/class: Half-elf ranger

Height: 6' 0"

Weight: 201

STR:3

DEX:4

STA:2

CON:2

WIS:2

CHA:2

Abilities:

One-mile run: 6:58

Bench press max: 240 lb

Consecutive pullups, full drop: 15

Consecutive pushups, good form: 48

Swimming - crawl: 100 meters

Single straight plank: 90 seconds

Quests:

1. Increase bench press max to 250 lbs.

This has been a long-term goal, and I'm getting close. (STR: +3)

2. Register for and run two road races.

I need to complete at least one 5-K to get a benchmark time. The second race could be another 5K or perhaps a longer (trail?) run. (DEX: +2; STA:+3)

3. Be able to swim crawl stroke for 250 meters without stopping. (STA: +2; DEX: +1)

4. Join our local track club and attend two "Wednesday night" workouts.

This would evidence a level of "public" commitment to improving my running. (DEX: +1; CHA: +1)

5. Finish two of my "big" reads.

Read The Odes of Horace and The Tales of 1001 Arabian Nights. (WIS: +1; CHA: +1)

I have a trip for my 20th high school reunion in mid-May and vacation at the beach the first week of June, so I'm going to have to have to plan carefully to get these done. I'm looking forward to my first NF challenge!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Half-Elf Ranger (Level 3)

STR: 5 / DEX: 5 / STA: 4 / CON: 6 / WIS: 3 / CHA: 4

Trinity: "No one has ever done anything like this."

Neo: "That's why it's going to work."

Welcome to the forums, and to the Rebellion! And to the Rangers! :D

Looks like you're in a pretty solid place, physically. Great job! Let us know if we can be of any assistance along the way in hitting those goals!

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Thanks for the support. I don't know whether it is realistic, but I'd love to run a mile under 6:30 by the end of 2012. A sub 23:30 5-K is another goal I'd kill to reach. This is the year to really commit!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just a little swimming yesterday, and a taper/rest day today before tomorrow night's 5-K race. Even though I have nothing at stake other than pride, and my time won't be within seven minutes of the winner, I still feel a bit nervous. Funny how that pride thing works . . .

I'm enjoying watching the threads here and keeping an eye on everyone's challenges; it's inspiring! To be honest, though, the amount of content on the forums is a bit overwhelming. I'm curious how you regular users manage your time here. Do you subscribe to a few threads and follow a select group of "friends" or do you dip in of whatever catches your eye?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just a little swimming yesterday, and a taper/rest day today before tomorrow night's 5-K race. Even though I have nothing at stake other than pride, and my time won't be within seven minutes of the winner, I still feel a bit nervous. Funny how that pride thing works . . .

I'm enjoying watching the threads here and keeping an eye on everyone's challenges; it's inspiring! To be honest, though, the amount of content on the forums is a bit overwhelming. I'm curious how you regular users manage your time here. Do you subscribe to a few threads and follow a select group of "friends" or do you dip in of whatever catches your eye?

Best of luck with the 5K. You're right - the only possible downside of the Rangers being so popular is the huge amount of content to try to sort through. I've subscribed to a few folks who look interesting and/or have similar goals as I do, and I try to say hi to folks who haven't gotten many responses in a while. On the plus side, lots of great people to pull motivation from!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wookie Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

"Never throughout history has a man who lived a life of ease left a name worth remembering." - Teddy Roosevelt

Just finished the Swamp Rabbit 5-K in Greenville, South Carolina. My first race in three years, and it was brutal but fun. I think it was between 85-88 degrees, which is really hot for this time of year, and there there was a hill in the middle that went up for at least 3/4 of a mile. My time was slower than I expected and hoped for (25:34, I think), but I was pleased with my effort and level of exertion. (I had almost nothing left when I crossed the line.) I'm confident that my 5-K time will be coming down , especially on a cooler day and/or a flatter course and after a good summer of training.

One of my challenge goals was to enter and run two races, so I'm halfway done with one goal! Going to bench tomorrow to work on getting to 250 lbs!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good lifting day yesterday, which makes me optimistic about reaching my goal of 250 lb max for the barbell bench press. I'm starting to do more barbell squats and deadlifts, albeit nervously, since i have an old disc injury in my lower back from my rowing days. I'm going to carefully increase my weights there, as they are such fantastic full-body lifts.

On a related note, I don't think I'm going to log all my workout details here, as I am currently using Fitocracy for that. I do enjoy reading everyone's posts, however, and I already love the Ranger community.

Off to mow the lawn for this morning's workout!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This whole Rebellion thing is very motivating. Today I went to run a 3 x 1 mile workout on our indoor track with 1:00 rest between intervals. I was planning on running around 8:00-8:10 min./mile, but I ran Mile 1 at 7:38 and felt great. Mile 2 at 7:31 was hard but good. Now, normally, I would have quit during Mile 3 around lap 6 as my legs started to scream, but today I literally thought, "What am I going to post on Nerd Fitness if I wuss out on this?"

Mile 3: 7:32. . . thanks to all my virtual workout buddies!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Heading out of town for a week (to Boston, then to 20th high school reunion up in seacoast NH - how did I get this old!). Bringing my running shoes, but I may have to find a playground so I can get some good strength work in.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey KSwiss! Just checking in, we're on the same squad! Great goals here, I think you're already in fantastic shape and I can really get behind your goals of bringing your time lower.

I'd love to learn a thing or two also from your travails. Right now it's not my priority to bring my 5k time down (as of last race, 25:30) but I would appreciate any tips on how to bring them down in the future. Go kill that sub 23:30 goal! We'll be rooting for ya!

Went for a long run on Friday morning and really hurt afterwards; I was sore all day long. Given that I had stayed up late visiting old college friends in Boston, I was proud that I dragged myself out of bed for a 6:30 am run along the Charles River. It was chilly but absolutely gorgeous; I was so pleased to have gone.

Too much drinking on this trip, but otherwise I seem to be hanging in there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Martinpanduh, thanks for the encouragement! If I bring my time down, I'll let you know what's working.

Rock on!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm late posting my results. This was my first challenge, so I'm still figuring out how to set realistic goals.

Quests:

1. Increase bench press max to 250 lbs.

This has been a long-term goal, and I'm getting close. (STR: +3)

--> I got to 245lb. Grade: C (Strength: +1)

2. Register for and run two road races.

I need to complete at least one 5-K to get a benchmark time. The second race could be another 5K or perhaps a longer (trail?) run. (DEX: +2; STA:+3)

--> I ran one race. It was 94 on the day I planned to run my second, so I bailed. While that was a wise decision, Grade: C.

3. Be able to swim crawl stroke for 250 meters without stopping. (STA: +2; DEX: +1)

--> I got up to 200 yards, but did not swim nearly as much as I should have. Grade: C. (STA: +1)

4. Join our local track club and attend two "Wednesday night" workouts.

This would evidence a level of "public" commitment to improving my running. (DEX: +1; CHA: +1)

--> Epic fail. I did not do this at all. Grade: F. (No points)

5. Finish two of my "big" reads.

Read The Odes of Horace and The Tales of 1001 Arabian Nights. (WIS: +1; CHA: +1)

--> I read The Odes and a good chunk of The Tales, but I got distracted by some other great reads. I sometimes have focus issues and become a book whore. Grade: B. (CHA: +1)

I hope this is an acceptable way to record results and that my self-grading was reasonable. If not, I trust someone will let me know. While I didn't do a fantastic job with these particular goals, I made some good strides with my fitness. Signing up for my first race in four years was a good call, and I have started doing deadlifts for the first time in my life. Next challenge, I'll try to be more focused.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines