New Roots

Sciread77

I lived in my previous home for 6 years, 1 month, and 15 days. By far the longest I’ve lived anywhere since childhood.  The move is complete and our summer adventures are over. It’s time for us to get back into our routine, establish new roots, and settle into our new home. 

Additionally, I’m finally set up in a stable place in which to establish a voice over practice. My goals will reflect my activity to transform to from a paying hobby into a viable second income with which I hope to pay down debt and save towards financial freedom. Plus, it’s an artistic and career advancement outlet that I am starting to desperately need as my day job seems to be stagnating. 

My copy/paste expired so I’ll review previous goals later. 

New goals: 

1.  Sleep 7+ hours a night. This was surprisingly hard last time as the house stuff blew up. It’s important that I get enough rest. 

2.  Unpack. We still have stuff to unpack and organize in the house, and we haven’t even started unloading the storage unit. I want to at least have the the storage unit empty by the end of the challenge. 

3. Establish a functional routine that includes time for sleep, work, relaxation, and pursuit of other goals. I’ve been operating on emergency mode for too long, pushing myself too hard for too long. I need something slow longer term so I can reduce my dependence on caffeine and get regular sleep. Also, the kids are thrown off and not acting like themselves after the move and vacation. It’s been better in the last week but they’re still thrown off too so we all need this. 

4. Record and edit daily, and cold call each week day. My goal is to record at least one job, audition, or personal project every day unless I’m sick with a throat thing. Once I have mastered my demo (after a week) and created a basic website to host it, I will call at least 1 potential client each weekday to ask if they are accepting demos.

I expect this will be the hardest to work into the routine. My large diaphragm mic pics up everything, so ultimately I have to stay up late or preferably get up early to record. And I have to shut off the AC/heat or else it picks that up too. I’ve been getting up at 4 am this week but I got sick and didn’t for the last two days. 

5. Have some fun. Spend time with the family as well as special stuff with just my wife. This has to be built into our regular routine as we create new traditions and celebrate old ones. 

I’m looking forward to this one. I’m tired.  The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale are glad to be home. 

• Like 2

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

Woo! Glad the move was a success. And yeah, I know from experience that even small changes to routine can make kids crazy. One of mine has mild Autism, and the other has sensory processing disorder, so...

Glad you're back with us.

• Like 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Elevates

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes Superhuman

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

On 8/18/2018 at 9:42 PM, Wolfen said:

Woo! Glad the move was a success. And yeah, I know from experience that even small changes to routine can make kids crazy. One of mine has mild Autism, and the other has sensory processing disorder, so...

Glad you're back with us.

Thanks. They’re going to bed normally again. One of these days I’m gonna get the dog back from my parents and then things will be back to normal. Everything is harder without my dog. 

I’m glad to be back. I’m glad to finally, for the last couple of days, finally catch up enough on sleep and reduce caffeine enough that I don’t feel like I’m going to pass out where I sit/stand all day. 

On 8/20/2018 at 12:28 AM, Ann of Vries said:

Good luck on getting settled in to your new house! Congratulations!

Thanks!

1.  My FitBit band died so I haven’t had the tracking I’m used to for the last few days. But I’m pretty sure, by virtue of how I’m feeling, that I’ve had 7+ hours of sleep the last 3 nights in a row. 

2. In process. We’ve been unpacking as the kids play their new Disney Infinity 2.0 game. I’m sad it was discontinued. We bought it years ago and finally got it hooked up and the kids LOVE it. 

3. My wife and I have been talking about this a lot. We’re not able to keep burning the candle at both ends. We both need good rest. And we both need to be able to pursue our goals pretty freely without sacrificing sleep all the time to do it. 

The new house helps a ton. The new neighborhood is full of kids so we can just walk outside and the kids brun their energy off with the other kids. We can talk or do yard work or other stuff like that and get to bed at a reasonable time, fighting the kids to go to sleep less and being able to actually use our time after they go to bed for the creative things in our lives or for daily stuff like laundry and meal prep. 

4.  I recorded about 30 pages of stuff today. I didn’t edit but I spent a good chunk of my initial time eliminating a hiss in the background and normalizing my sound back to a reasonable level. Seems levels got thrown off at some point so I sounded super quiet. 

The cats appear to be particularly interested in the business because my normally-quiet cats never shut up during recording sessions. Of course, they probably just want to hang out since I’m the only human awake at 4 am. 

5. We went to the Science Center as a family Sunday and saw an OmniMax movie about the reefs and ocean life in the South Pacific. It followed a 13-year-old boy on a two-month educational program to learn how to protect the reefs, engage in sustainable fishing, and manage his island’s resources. It was super cool. Baby girl adored it and couldn’t get over the fish everywhere. 

• Like 2

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

My dog is finally home! Now the new place really feels like home. 

1. I’m a little short on sleep right now, though I’ve been feeling much more rested lately. I got up an hour earlier than usual to walk the dog. Because I can actually do that in this house!

2. Over the weekend we cleared half the garage out, hung a lot of mirrors and pictures, and put more stuff away. We also mostly finished the piano room. 

3. We’re starting to get into a routine. We actually had a pretty good one over the last week but now we have to adjust to meet the dog’s needs too. 

4.  I’ve recorded about 50 pages this week. I missed two days though and I’m really working on making it a daily activity. 

5. The kids’ bikes are here now. We worked in the yard while they played in the cul de sac. We’ve had family a family movie night and we’ve been a lot more playful together in general. Last night, we played hide and seek in the new yard with the dog before going inside to make pizzas.

The new neighborhood continues to be great, as does the new house. 

I’ve been feeling the struggle mentally lately. It’s mostly burnout at work, because I feel fine in the morning and on the weekends. When I get into the office, it’s as if all my energy and ambition dies. I’m not made to wait around for something to treat like a fire the instant it’s entered, or to pretend like I’m busy. I NEED to be productive or actually relax. It’s the slow season and we’re fully staffed so calls and actual work is relatively rare... but they reduce headcount (by way of not authorizing replacement when people move on) if we don’t act like we’re busy. 

I have tons of VO stuff I could be doing but it’s prohibited during work hours, and the workstations are under constant surveillance. What I really want is more special projects and responsibility, because I’d rather be buried than bored. Those have dried up because of changes in the org, which is a big part of why I’m looking to move. I want to be in a place where I’m left completely alone or where we’re building something new.   And around a healthier group of people. 

In any case, it isn’t so bad. I can handle it until I move on. I feel like I complain too much at home, or as if there’s always some battle to relay. At the nonprofit we on the board have to hire a new person to lead and the previous person went on to lead a bigger org. There are some serious differences on what is appropriate and there’s a power struggle going on in the board. I lead one faction and a newer board member leads the other. I embrace change but I also don’t want to throw the baby out t with the bath water. I’m surely missing something because everyone wants the org to succeed and be around another couple of generations. 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

I used to say "home is where my cats are." Glad to hear the dog is home!

Our cats came much faster. Unfortunately, our bunnies are not allowed per rules we were not given until after the contact executed. That’s basically the only drawback of the place. 

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, Ann of Vries said:

Ack! Sorry to hear about the bunnies. You bought the house, right? Annoying HOA stuff? 

We did. And while that smarts, the HOA stuff otherwise doesn’t seem to be bad. It’s better than county governance. It might be for the best because my wife and kids all have major allergies to rabbits. They triggered the oldest boy’s asthma. That was all fine when they lived outside but indoors is not an option. 

As it is, we’ve got access to good rescue resources and they were rescue bunnies to begin with. They’re pair bonded and I’d never split them up. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

The oldest dino’s First cross country meet was today. He’s 5. He ran the half mile. Although he was far behind the first, he never gave up. No asthma issues. He’s just legitimately gianormous for being 5. He can ride all the roller coasters everywhere and he’s almost as tall as the adult woman who teaches his dance class. 

My asthma (and lack of desire to run) worked together to make me the slowest kid in the class until I joined track.  Once I learned to run and started to improve, I really enjoyed it. As i commented on another thread, my dad ran several miles a day and lifted heavily but I didn’t get into any of that for a long time. Running in high school and lifting in my early 20s when it hit me that I hated being a skinny little weakling.   I’m want my kids to be interested in being strong and fast and good at sports without being overbearing. Or killing their desire to do so. I want them to enjoy it. I’m not the biggest fan of most sports but I trained in my 20s to be adequate to good at all sports I was likely to take part in. I love baseball, hockey, and wrestling. And running. 

Systemic autoimmune arthritis killed my desire to run by making it painful (and destructive for my joints). I’m on medicine that works much better than when I stopped running in 2013. And now that my little guy is into training to race, I’m finding myself wanting to run again. It’s weird because until 5 hours ago I’d totally come to terms with not ever regularly running again. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

19 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

And now that my little guy is into training to race, I’m finding myself wanting to run again. It’s weird because until 5 hours ago I’d totally come to terms with not ever regularly running again. 

Are you going to give it a try and see if you can find a jogging pace that won't be too painful and destructive? I bet jogging with Dad would be a real treat for your little racer if you can manage it.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Jett said:

Are you going to give it a try and see if you can find a jogging pace that won't be too painful and destructive? I bet jogging with Dad would be a real treat for your little racer if you can manage it.

I think I am. We’ve got a nice yard and trails connected by sidewalk at the new house. I definitely won’t be running on concrete much (if at all) but running with my biggest little man and our dog could be fun. The (relatively) new drugs might make it all possible. I’ll probably never do a 4:38 mile ever again, but I miss the runner’s high and I think it’d be special for my buddy. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

So right after I posted this I experienced a flare-up. I’m back to Alfredson Protocol exercises. After this week I think I’ll be ok to run with the boy; as it is, we’re expecting storms all weekend anyway. 

In other news, I accepted an offer in a new position doing largely interesting and different stuff. It’s the same corporate role and level but a completely different job, and I’ve heard good things about the people there (and know a few on teams in the area).   That’s a huge plus, as is the “more money” part. I’m excited for the new challenges, too, and suddenly I don’t dread going to work. I feel lighter. 

It does throw a bit of a wrench into things, though, because Spanish is largely required to advance in that group (being that half the regions are in Latin America) and my Spanish is largely built around the adventures of cats seeking out cheese. Los gatos buscan queso en la torre de la muerte. Los Gatos son valiente. I had 2 years in high school and some more effective self study that helped a bit when I taught classes that included immigrant children, but never reached the level of proficiency I have in French (or the level of proficiency my wife has in Spanish). Fortunately, I have a wide array of resources for Spanish including a lot of people in my life who speak Spanish. And I’ll have a boss and business and coworkers who not only speak Spanish but use it in the workplace. Plus my wife discovered Jane the Virgin this week and that show is both hilarious and has a decent amount of Spanish for us to practice listening to. 

Life is strange sometimes. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

Sounds like the new job is a really great opportunity! That was one of your short term goals, wasn't it? :) I'm sure your Spanish will pick up very quickly if you're using it day to day.

Also... est-ce que vous parlez Français?! J'ai l'étudié à l'école pendant 15 ans, mais j'ai ne parlé jamais avec des locuteurs naturels ou compétents. C'est quelque chose que j'aimerais améliorer sur moi-même.

(Even typing that out took a fair bit of spell-checking and double-checking my vocab to make sure I used the right words... and I probably still didn't get it quite right :/)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Jett said:

Sounds like the new job is a really great opportunity! That was one of your short term goals, wasn't it? :) I'm sure your Spanish will pick up very quickly if you're using it day to day.

Also... est-ce que vous parlez Français?! J'ai l'étudié à l'école pendant 15 ans, mais j'ai ne parlé jamais avec des locuteurs naturels ou compétents. C'est quelque chose que j'aimerais améliorer sur moi-même.

(Even typing that out took a fair bit of spell-checking and double-checking my vocab to make sure I used the right words... and I probably still didn't get it quite right :/)

Amis et famille. Ma meilleure amie déménagé en France quand j’avais six ans et j’ai de la famille à Besançon. Je activement étudie 3 á 4 ans au total. 

I am pretty good at reading French. I’m not so bad at writing but I probably screwed that up a bit too. Especially accents. Over the last year or so my major focus has been on hearing and speaking the language, and I’ve had to unlearn some bad habits but it’s coming along. There’s nothing like using a language to move it along. The kids watch some of their shows in French, and some kids’ shows like the most recent Garfield are French productions so that helps. 

I’m actually pretty decent at reading Spanish as well, and I’ve been surprised at how well I can hear it lately. In the last couple of weeks I started working on the language again and I’m familiar enough with both languages that they seem start contrasts to one another. I think I’ll be able to continue working on French without confusion. I’m no master of either but I think I’ve officially reached the intermediate stage in both. 

Promotions are longstanding intermediate goals of mine. I’ve been actively pursuing one for 3 years now and there have been lots of disappointments.  I didn’t get the ones I wanted most, but this opportunity will teach me new skills and give me room to grow. If I’m not learning I’m dying. It’ll likely be a steep learning curve if for no other reason than a lot of the work is in another language. 

I wanted to say the work is in my L2, but I hesitate and I’m not exactly sure between French and Spanish which I should consider L2 and which should be L3. I technically started French first, but I had formal learning in Spanish first. I guess it ultimately doesn’t matter. I’m just amused thinking of it for the first time. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

On 9/7/2018 at 10:11 PM, Sciread77 said:

Amis et famille. Ma meilleure amie déménagé en France quand j’avais six ans et j’ai de la famille à Besançon. Je activement étudie 3 á 4 ans au total. 

I am pretty good at reading French. I’m not so bad at writing but I probably screwed that up a bit too. Especially accents. Over the last year or so my major focus has been on hearing and speaking the language, and I’ve had to unlearn some bad habits but it’s coming along. There’s nothing like using a language to move it along. The kids watch some of their shows in French, and some kids’ shows like the most recent Garfield are French productions so that helps. 

Have they watched Miraculous (the show with Ladybug and Chat Noir)? It looks really cute, but I haven't started watching it yet because I want to watch it in French, and that takes a lot more focus and effort from me than putting on a cartoon normally does.

I'm glad to hear you're making an effort to help your kids get immersed in French. My parents lived in Switzerland and then francophone Africa before I was born, and then lived in France for a while while I was in college. That's why I had so many years of French education - they wanted me to be able to understand the language and have an appreciation for francophone cultures. But, for some reason, they never spoke it with me at home, and didn't really encourage watching cartoons or listening to music, and other immersive things like that. So, since I live in America, I never really learned to be fluent despite everything.

Does this new position have options for advancement? If not, at least being bilingual (or trilingual!) will open up certain avenues of work that might lead somewhere else.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Jett said:

Have they watched Miraculous (the show with Ladybug and Chat Noir)? It looks really cute, but I haven't started watching it yet because I want to watch it in French, and that takes a lot more focus and effort from me than putting on a cartoon normally does.

I'm glad to hear you're making an effort to help your kids get immersed in French. My parents lived in Switzerland and then francophone Africa before I was born, and then lived in France for a while while I was in college. That's why I had so many years of French education - they wanted me to be able to understand the language and have an appreciation for francophone cultures. But, for some reason, they never spoke it with me at home, and didn't really encourage watching cartoons or listening to music, and other immersive things like that. So, since I live in America, I never really learned to be fluent despite everything.

Does this new position have options for advancement? If not, at least being bilingual (or trilingual!) will open up certain avenues of work that might lead somewhere else.

I know they have seen it before. 

That’s cool that your parents gave you so much education, but it must be disappointing that the language wasn’t spoken much at home or encouraged non-academically. 

There are opportunities for advancement in the new position. A lot more than in the division I’m currently in, as it’s a much larger group. I’m not sure French will help too much but Spanish definitely will. 

I hesitate to call myself bilingual or trilingual without the ability to use the languages daily in the workplace beyond the expression of simple ideas and the most basic transactions. I’m at a point that would have been impressive to me in high school but to me I just feel like I have a better idea of all the things I don’t know lol. The good thing is that the study of languages and cultures is something that I find both challenging and satisfying. It was the first thing I ever did that didn’t come naturally and easily, so I struggled with French and had a bad attitude in the beginning with Spanish. I feel like I wasted most of my two years of high school Spanish, because I could have gotten so much more out of it than I did. Fear of failure and ethnocentrism both played their parts. There’s a lot that I regret about my time in high school, mostly having to do with attitudes. I had no idea just how incredibly narrow and judgmental my view was until I took Spanish, and that’s just because of the girl I dated from that class. It makes me sad to think about, because I didn’t know any better but that outlooks clearly still affected people I knew and cared about. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

There’s a lot that I regret about my time in high school, mostly having to do with attitudes.

I think this is a common regret for many. But one thing I have learned about regrets is to not dwell on them too much. In hindsight I wish I had played a sport in high school, but I didn't, and it's too late now, so I instead focus on what I can do now. I know that's not your issue, but look how far you've come now. You've matured beyond those attitude issues and you're on your way to becoming an even better man every day.

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes Superhuman

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

1 hour ago, Wolfen said:

I think this is a common regret for many. But one thing I have learned about regrets is to not dwell on them too much. In hindsight I wish I had played a sport in high school, but I didn't, and it's too late now, so I instead focus on what I can do now. I know that's not your issue, but look how far you've come now. You've matured beyond those attitude issues and you're on your way to becoming an even better man every day.

I’m sure it is. I’m walking what feels like a fine line between pretending I have no feelings of regret at all and getting lost in the past. When I start to feel pensive and emotional that’s the kind of the things that come back. I’ve had the opportunity to either make things right or become a better person to avoid the mistakes of the past and I’m grateful for that. 

I also realize now that sometimes, there wasn’t a right/wrong answer and it was just a tough situation in which I did the best I knew how to. Like at 13 when my best friend battled cancer, infections, and numerous surgeries I overobsessed on keeping things positive so he didn’t have to worry about my problems. Yet in hindsight, years later, I learned he would have liked to be distracted by my problems sometimes. Plus it seemed like my life was perfect and his wasn’t. But I was legitimately doing my best and I worked hard to help my friend. Just a tough situation. No real regrets about that though I’m wiser about those sorts of things nowadays. 

Part of of why I push for consistent self-improvement is that it helps me avoid getting caught up in guilt over the past. 

I’m clearly in a weird and pensive mood these days. Which is to be expected since we’ve been through so much change in the last few months, even though it’s almost all quite positive. 

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

When I start to feel pensive and emotional that’s the kind of the things that come back.

8 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

I’m clearly in a weird and pensive mood these days.

It must be something about life challenges that do that to us because I've had the same issue lately, but in a good way, I think. As long as we use our thoughts to grow and not dwell. "If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim...," right?

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

I hesitate to call myself bilingual or trilingual without the ability to use the languages daily in the workplace beyond the expression of simple ideas and the most basic transactions.

I had no idea just how incredibly narrow and judgmental my view was until I took Spanish, and that’s just because of the girl I dated from that class. It makes me sad to think about, because I didn’t know any better but that outlooks clearly still affected people I knew and cared about.  

I think it counts as being bilingual if you can do business in the language! Plus, the more you use it, the more you'll be able to express complex ideas.

I think getting a different perspective on the world was the most valuable part about studying French for as long as I did, and traveling to French-speaking countries a few times. As Mark Twain said: "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Wolfen said:

It must be something about life challenges that do that to us because I've had the same issue lately, but in a good way, I think. As long as we use our thoughts to grow and not dwell. "If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim...," right?

I think it must be. It’s mostly good for me, I think. In any case, I’m pretty sure I’m generally a better person today than I was in high school or college, and I do my best to stay critical of myself to ensure I keep going in the direction I’m aiming for. 

5 hours ago, Jett said:

I think it counts as being bilingual if you can do business in the language! Plus, the more you use it, the more you'll be able to express complex ideas.

I think getting a different perspective on the world was the most valuable part about studying French for as long as I did, and traveling to French-speaking countries a few times. As Mark Twain said: "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."

The perspective is definitely important to me. I love the phrasing of common sayings in different languages and the perspective that brings, as well as seeing an uncommon perspective in newspapers and media in that language. The death of bigotry, prejudice, and narrow-mindedness is a general goal of mine. Most of my regrets stem from narrow mindedness on my part. 

On another pensive note, there’s something almost spiritual about driving with your dog on a beautiful summer night: windows down, radio up, ears flapping in the wind. Late-night errands are the best because of that. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Review: 

1.  Sleep 7+ hours a night. 

I hit this one on average, but I still feel like I've been hit by a bus.

2.  Unpack. We still have stuff to unpack and organize in the house, and we haven’t even started unloading the storage unit. I want to at least have the the storage unit empty by the end of the challenge. 

Yeah, we haven't even touched the storage unit.  But otherwise things are going well.  We'll HAVE to start tackling the storage unit soon because most of our seasonal decorations are in there.

3. Establish a functional routine that includes time for sleep, work, relaxation, and pursuit of other goals. 

I think we're on the right track here.  I'm down to 4-5 cups of coffee a day, from 12-15 over most of the summer (it peaked on the drive back from Florida when I had two days of drinking a 20 oz coffee every hour to hour and a half as the only functional driver).  That's probably a big part of why I usually feel like I've been hit by a bus.

4. Record and edit daily, and cold call each week day. My goal is to record at least one job, audition, or personal project every day unless I’m sick with a throat thing. Once I have mastered my demo (after a week) and created a basic website to host it, I will call at least 1 potential client each weekday to ask if they are accepting demos.

So. I drastically underestimated the time requirements for my big project, and it's sort of consumed everything.  My demo is mostly done but I haven't put up the website, and I'm considering having a friend help since she's actually really good at this sort of thing whereas I can fumble my way through it and have skills that haven't really been updated in 15 years.  I tried a few times to record while the kids were napping on the weekend, but lawnmowers, trucks, helicopters, dogs, children, TV... it all gets picked up.  So I'm basically stuck recording late at night or early in the morning.

5. Have some fun. Spend time with the family as well as special stuff with just my wife. This has to be built into our regular routine as we create new traditions and celebrate old ones. 

Overall, I don't think we did too badly.  We started watching some new shows together while the kids were watching their own shows.  The baby actually turns one today, and she's getting old enough that she likes to hang out and play with her big brothers.  Our anniversary is coming up during the next challenge time frame.

• Like 1

Spoiler

There you are! I wondered what happened with you!

5 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

I'm down to 4-5 cups of coffee a day, from 12-15 over most of the summer (it peaked on the drive back from Florida when I had two days of drinking a 20 oz coffee every hour to hour and a half as the only functional driver).  That's probably a big part of why I usually feel like I've been hit by a bus.

Oh jeez. That... that's a lot of coffee. Glad you're getting back down to a more reasonable amount. I wonder if you're dehydrated due to the diuretic effect of caffeine? That would definitely contribute to feeling like crap. And screw with your sleep rhythms.

• Like 1