Snapshot: I'm 29, British, female, 5' 10", 280lb, and can't climb a flight of stairs without getting winded. I'm worried about ruining my knees or getting type 2 diabetes, and making it even harder to climb out of this hole. They tell me it's harder to lose the weight after you turn 30.

How I got here:

I have quite serious mental illness problems. I've had several periods in my life when I couldn't work, or couldn't attend university, and during those times I have been able to control my diet and exercise really well, as a kind of coping mechanism. I completed Couch to 5K in 2009, one of the worst times of my life when I was dropping out of university and really struggling with suicidal thoughts.

I've been taking antidepressants since I was about 22 and six months ago I was diagnosed as autistic, which has really helped me get a perspective on my mind and why it works the way it does. But right now I'm working a desk job, and paying rent on my very own little flat, and I'm happy, relatively speaking.

It's got to be possible to be happy, and working, and also going jogging from time to time! I'm sure I can combine these things. A friend recommended NerdFitness so here I am. I have a Rising Heroes subscription, I'm not sure if this forum fits in with RH? You all seem pretty cool people though. I hope the accountability helps me eat less pizza.

Hopes for the future:

Run Couch to 5K again! Get down to a BMI of about 22! Start taking horse riding lessons again (maximum weight: 190lb)! Make friends! Get promoted! Be more awesome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1