Weight: 217.8 lbs

Sleep: 9 hrs

Water: 3/4 Gallon

Meals:

10am - Egg whites, cheese, oatmeal, cranberries, almonds, oj, vitamins, supplements, green tea.

2pm - fried Chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, soda, green tea, supplements 

4pm - Soda & cookies, green tea.

6:30pm - Greek yogurt, honey, granola, strawberries, green tea

10:00pm - Protein shake, pb & banana sandwich

10:30pm - Milk and supplements 

Fitness:

Weights - Back/Biceps/Abs

Cardio - 2 Miles, 4-6mph avg pace

Notes: Super sore from lifting already, which is a good sign, have a feeling that’s going to be a common thing this week after a month away from weights. Day 2/4 back at lifting done.

Had KFC fried chicken for lunch for the first time in a decade...that was a mistake. So not worth the crazy amount of calories and gave me a stomach ache. May have just been that one KFC but we have legit Texas fried chicken places like Chicken Express just as close (usual Sunday chicken place for us), so I think I’ll stick to the locally favorite next time I need a bucket-o-fried. Consoled myself with cookies and soda after stomach was better, all in all not my best nutrition day.

Have to say supplementing with Ginko, Ginseng complex, 5HTP and Green Tea has really been making a difference on my depression. I feel much more even throughout the day and when I feel like I’m starting to fall into that pit of sadness or hopelessness, the additional serotonin and dopamine in my system lets me pump the breaks and reassess things versus plowing headlong into a bad place. This combination feels very similar to some antidepressants I was on a few years ago, but the ginseng and Ginko are giving me more energy and keeping me sharper than the fog I had with the previous medication. Big caveat here, that the overall effect isn’t as strong as the antidepressants I was prescribed, but it’s enough to keep me in what feels like a healthy place without all the side effects and studies show lots of long term benefits for these.

Going to be a busy week, time crash out and on to tomorrow.

• Like 3

Weight: 219.6 lbs

Water: 2/4 Gallon

Meals:

10:30am - Egg whites, cheese, oatmeal, strawberries, grape juice, green tea(2), vitamins, supplements.

4:00pm - Turkey, hummus, olives, pita chips, cheese, green tea, supplements

5:00pm - Chicken, potatoes, broccoli, green tea

10:00pm - protein shake & on sandwich, supplements 

Fitness:

Rest Day

Notes: Crazy busy still wrapping things up from my work trip last week and getting ready for another one to Austin on Wednesday. Definitely a busy season of life.

Mood was off today, but mainly because I ate late/not enough. A month off lifting made me lazy on eating.

• Like 2

Weight: 220.4 lbs

Sleep: 13 hrs

Meals:

11:00am - Egg whites, cheese, Waffles, blueberries, vitamins, supplements

5:00pm - Salmon, spinach, quinoa, supplements

7:00pm - Protein bar

9:30pm - Milk & scoop of pb, supplements

Fitness:

None

Notes: Been a crazy week with work, so just now getting back on logging. Doing my last drop off of caffeine and it is painful. Went off coffee last week and was just doing green tea 4 times a day, then twice a day, then once a day as needed. Today is first day with nothing and really ready to get past these headaches.

Took a 4 hour nap this afternoon which seemed to help. Will hopefully be past this in a couple of days.

• Like 2

Weight: 217.4 lbs

Sleep: 7 hrs

Meals:

10:00am - Protein Bar, vitamins

12:30pm - Protein shake, banana, pb sandwich, supplements

3:30pm - Greek Yogurt, honey, granola, supplements

5:30pm - chicken bites & pizza

9:30pm - turkey and cheese sandwich, milk, supplements 

Fitness:

Weights - Chest/Triceps/Lower Back

Notes: Sleep schedule was thrown way off with the extra nap yesterday and may have taken ginseng too late in the day. Going to revise tonight and hopefully have a better nights sleep.

Goal this week is to complete 6 workout days including 4 days of weights and 2 days of cardio. Goal is to slowly start moving to 2-a-days and gradually reincorporate monk training (which I have very much missed). Been reading up on folks who have done it and as long as I make sure to eat enough, sleep enough, and do my weightlifting in the mornings, It should be possible and get me killer results.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Goal this week is to complete 6 workout days including 4 days of weights and 2 days of cardio. Goal is to slowly start moving to 2-a-days and gradually reincorporate monk training (which I have very much missed). Been reading up on folks who have done it and as long as I make sure to eat enough, sleep enough, and do my weightlifting in the mornings, It should be possible and get me killer results.

It should.

But don't should yourself in the foot on this one. Bodies are weird and no two necessarily respond the same way.

Like, I took an honest shot at the whole lift weights and fight thing and I got wrecked. Trained myself into sickness and sore joints with no way to recover. But, I've seen others do it around here - @Urgan comes to mind - and prosper, and lots of barbell programs tend to make exceptions or changes for martial arts. Wendler's 5/3/1 has a MMA variant, just for example, and whatever program you choose to do now can surely be made to conform and allow for the shape of what you want.

Your goal about slowly starting is the right one. Go slow, be careful. Watch your body's responses and whether you get sick or tired or elsewise compromised on recovery. Take your time. Unless there's a tourney coming up that you gotta be ready for or a cosplay thing or something like that, there's no percentage in killing yourself in training.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Kishi said:

Watch your body's responses and whether you get sick or tired or elsewise compromised on recovery. Take your time. 

Wise words, I keep needing reminding myself this is a marathon and not a sprint, and hearing about your experience helps. I know something is going to have to take priority, it’s just figuring out what that something is. Up until now it’s just been lifting, but the call of the monk is strong. Like you said, need to take my time.

• Like 1

Weight: 218.4 lbs

Sleep: 8 hrs

Meals:

9:00am - Protein Bar, vitamins

11:00am - Egg whites, cheese, Oatmeal, cruising, almonds

3:00pm - Protein shake, pbj sandwich

5:30pm - Nachos, cake

9:00pm - Turkey sandwich & milk

Fitness:

Rest Day

Notes: Finding that the mood improving supplement I’ve been taking (5HTP) makes me way too tired without caffeine. Been changing up a lot lately so going to leave the supplements out for now and just focus on staying off caffeine.

For exercise today, spirit is willing but the body is spent (as @Kishi foretold). Taking today as a rest day. As much as I want to workout all the time, I know I have to listen to my body and take things as they come. I’d love to get into all kinds of fitness and martial arts stuff, but as of now lifting and JiuJitsu are the current priority. Would LOVE to get into a striking art but that may have to wait for now.

My number 1 goal this year is to do 315lbs on most of my barbell lifts and to weigh in around 195. If I can get some BJJ in to cover my cardio that would be ideal, but I know I’m at least 2 years away from a blue belt, so goals surrounding that are not even on the horizon. Ultimately I’d like to round everything out with Muay Thai and Kali, but going to have to take things one at a time and keep the long game in mind.

Another day down, on to Wednesday.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Kishi said:

Like, I took an honest shot at the whole lift weights and fight thing and I got wrecked. Trained myself into sickness and sore joints with no way to recover. But, I've seen others do it around here - @Urgan comes to mind - and prosper, and lots of barbell programs tend to make exceptions or changes for martial arts. Wendler's 5/3/1 has a MMA variant, just for example, and whatever program you choose to do now can surely be made to conform and allow for the shape of what you want.

There are two things I have found to be critical to making martial arts and lifting work together.

First, know your priority and plan both activities accordingly. You can't give 110% to both activities simultaneously. You can give both a large portion of your resources, but which one is most important to you? This answer may change seasonally, which is cool. 

Second, you need a couple of days where you are not hammering your joints. Sure there are scenarios where you might tear a muscle, most likely as part of a freak accident, but the area around major joints are vulnerable to the one-two punch (harrrrr....) of lifting and fighting. I personally double up my Aikido training and lifting on the same day in order to give myself 3 days of rest. I don't often try to load my body directly after having knees, shoulders, elbows, and wrists stressed by impact and manipulation, because lifting is my priority I am operating at relatively high intensity 90% of the time. Sounds like you're pretty serious about lifting as well. I like the idea of letting your martial arts training serve as cardio, because well, it is cardio lol. No need to apply more on top of it until you're used to doing the work, after all.

These points both assume you have sleep and food intake in order, of course, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Weight: 219.8 lbs

Meals:

10:00am - Egg whites, oatmeal, cruising, almonds, coffee

1:00pm - 2 Chicken sandwiches, iced tea

5:30pm - Chicken, green beans, pasta

10:30pm - Turkey sandwich, chips, milk

Fitness:

Rest Day

Notes: Had the monthly depressive episode yesterday. Fortunately this is the fastest it’s passed. Only 24 hours, which is down from 72 hours last month and WAY down from stretches of 9 days last year. I think I’m catching them earlier so it doesn’t take near as long to pull out of them. Will continue to log and monitor. Hopefully I can get some guidance from my doctor once my insurance starts again in a few weeks.

I’m coming to terms with the idea that supplements and nutrition may not be the end all beat all fix for this and it’s either going to be catching the episode earlier and take the behavioral steps to limit the duration (would LOVE to get it down to just a few hours) or pharmaceuticals.

Got a chance to meet with old JiuJitsu Coach today and going to be starting back once a week starting next Friday. Just driving up to the building I felt better. I’ve been out of training for about a year and a half. Just feels like part of me has been missing all that time. I know it is something I have always enjoyed and to be at my best for work and family, I have to be at my best as a person, and Monk Life helps me get there.  Going to be a long road back to proficiency, but I’m taking those first baby steps.

I think my rally cry this year is Return of the Monk. Working toward making that a reality.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Thanks @Urgan! Great points and appreciate your recommendations. Going to ramp up slowly over the next 6 weeks or so and some of the things you mentioned provide structure for hopefutavoiding injury.

Hopefully it's helpful. I lift 4 days and Aikido 2 days per week, the latter sorta calls the shots in terms of when things happen. Gym time is early in the morning and dojo time is late at night, so there's space between the two for some recovery behind a desk, YMMV something serious. 

10 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Notes: Had the monthly depressive episode yesterday. Fortunately this is the fastest it’s passed. Only 24 hours, which is down from 72 hours last month and WAY down from stretches of 9 days last year. I think I’m catching them earlier so it doesn’t take near as long to pull out of them. Will continue to log and monitor. Hopefully I can get some guidance from my doctor once my insurance starts again in a few weeks.

I’m coming to terms with the idea that supplements and nutrition may not be the end all beat all fix for this and it’s either going to be catching the episode earlier and take the behavioral steps to limit the duration (would LOVE to get it down to just a few hours) or pharmaceuticals.

Hey, that's crazy amounts of progress in just a year on dietary changes alone, well done. It may not be the silver bullet, but apparently a regular bullet is still killing it, so to speak lol. Perhaps a few tweaks in the strategy will ensure you aren't fighting with depression often or hopefully much at all someday. 

• Thanks 1

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Weight: 221.2 lbs

Sleep: 5 hrs

Meals:

7:30am - Protein bar, SF Monster & vitamins

9:30am - Protein Shane & banana

12:00pm - Yellow curry chicken & rice, soda

2:00pm - Coffee milk shake 

8:00pm - Gyro platter, potatoes, green beans, pita, cheese

Fitness:

Weights - Legs

Notes: Reassessed priorities per @Urgans recommendation and putting lifting as primary and monk life secondary. To make that happen I’m switching back to daily morning workouts (going to try and conquer this early workout time once and for al).

Got to the gym a little late this morning but made it and got it done. For sport and practical purposes I’ve switched my Barbell Lunge from back position to front position. I can see how this is beneficial for take downs and other life/household things, as when I pick something/someone up, it’s usually in front of me and not across my shoulders. Need some work on my technique and did 20lbs less than the previous variant, but on the road and feeling pretty good about the transition.

Finished putting out flyers and spreading the word to start the Recovery JiuJitsu meet up starting next week. Been a long  couple of months putting this all together but finally at a point where I can step back and see if it will take off. 

Long but productive day.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

9:30am - Protein Shane & banana

RIP Shane. You will be missed.

• Haha 1

Weight: 223.2 lbs

Sleep: 6 hrs

Meals:

8:00am - Coffee

11:00am - 2 Egg white breakfast McMuffins & vitamins

1:00pm - Chicken, bell peppers, potatoes and green tea

5:00pm - Steak, Brussels sprouts, soda, fruit popsicle

7:00pm - Granola bar

9:30pm - Protein shake & pb sandwich

Fitness:

Weights - Shoulders/Arms/Obliques

Notes: Slowly working on a sleep reset. Got up at 6am today but not early enough to get a morning workout in. Ended up going in the evening. Things are starting to settle a bit. It took a full week to adjust to being back at home after 2 weeks on the road. Also going to take some time to get the commissions rolling in, so having to adjust my spending habits and budget which is a bit of a bummer, but doable and probably pretty important.

So hard to not run out and try to tackle everything at once, but learning that patience pays off.

• Like 2

Weight: 221.6 lbs

Sleep: 10 hrs

Meals:

12:00pm - Egg whites & veggies, cheese, oatmeal, blackberries, almonds, oj, coffee, vitamins 

3:00pm - Greek yogurt, honey, granola, blueberries, green tea

5:30pm - Chicken, green beans, pasta

8:00pm - Protein shake & pb sandwich 

Fitness:

Rest Day

Notes: Finally caught up on sleep. Finished phase 1 on my goal towards my updated exercise schedule goal. On to next week of adding cardio back in. Glad I took a rest day today, been a while since lifting 4 times in one week and was definitely feeling it later in the day.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Notes: Finally caught up on sleep. Finished phase 1 on my goal towards my updated exercise schedule goal. On to next week of adding cardio back in. Glad I took a rest day today, been a while since lifting 4 times in one week and was definitely feeling it later in the day.

Yeah those rest days are earned so hard I don't feel a bit guilty or tempted to do anything Extra, don't know about you.

• Like 1

Weight: 221.2 lbs

Water: 1 Gallon

Meals:

6:30am - Protein bar & vitamins

7:30am - SF Monster

8:30am - Protein shake & cereal

11:00am - PB & Nutella sandwich, green tea

2:00pm - Greek yogurt, honey, granola, blueberries, green tea

5:30pm - Chicken & beef fajita tacos

9:00pm - Pizza

Fitness:

7:30am - Workout 1

Weights - Chest/Triceps/Lower back

12:45pm - Workout 2

Warm Up - Bodyweight Circuit

Intervals - Kettlebells/Sled push

Cardio - 2 Miles

Notes: Up at 6am today, so that’s a step in the right direction. Got early workout done, but think I need to have prep some coffee day before to be able have it ready right when I get up (or get a Kuerig which may happen). For the time being Mrs.ReturnOfTheDad is recommending doing a cold brew, so will try that first.

First day of my own mini fight camp to prep going back to Monk life. Say hello to my little friends:

D5284B04-B8D2-41F7-A215-B84500173306.thumb.jpeg.563d8cbe8fe0481df61fbab73660e668.jpeg

Glad tomorrow is a rest day, because today was an experience. With all the cardio conditioning last month due to my injured hand, I’m pleasantly surprised with my ability to add in additional workouts without feel too wrecked. Definitely some benefits to Scout Life.

• Like 3

Weight: 222.2 lbs

Meals:

10:00am - Egg white/veggie/turkey omelette, English muffins w/ butter, oj, coffee, vitamins

1:00pm - Protein shake, pb & Nutella sandwich, green tea

5:30pm - Sub Sandwich, chips, Salad, cake

Fitness:

Rest Day

Notes: Glad it’s a rest day, pretty sore from yesterday but not overly so. It’s escalated a bit as the day has gone on. Mostly in the muscles related to kettlebells, since it’s been months since doing that. Going to try and take it easy and pace myself today.

• Like 2

Weight: 224.6 lbs

Sleep: 7 hrs

Meals:

7:30am - Protein bar, coffee, vitamins

10:00am - Egg whites, cheese, cereal, berries, green tea

12:30pm - Greek yogurt, honey, granola, dried apricots, green tea

3:00pm - Protein shake, bagel w/butter, green tea.

7:00pm - Chicken Burrito

Fitness:

Rest Day

Notes: Ate pretty bad yesterday and the scales showed it. Realizing my diet is just as important on rest days as workout days, if not more so. Got up in time to work out but was still really tired energy wise so took another rest day. Crazy time right now with work, service commitments and baby sleep training. Doing to just. Try and do the best I can day to day at this point.

• Like 2

Weight: 223.6 lbs

Meals:

9:30am - Greek yogurt, honey, granola, blueberries,

10:00am - SF Monster

12:30pm - Chicken fried rice & green tea

3:30pm - Chicken fried rice & green tea

6:00pm - Fish, rice, asparagus 

8:00pm - muffin

10:00pm - grilled cheese & chips

Fitness:

Weights - Back/Biceps/Abs

Notes: Coming off of sleep training with the little one. Crazy couple of days but starting to even out. Glad to get back to lifting.

• Like 3

Weight: 223.6 lbs

Sleep: 10 hrs

Meals:

11:30am - Egg white/veggie omelette, oatmeal, strawberries, almonds, oj, coffee, vitamins 

2:00pm - Green tea

4:00pm - Protein shake, PB sandwich, banana

6:00pm - Turkey burrito & avocado

8:00pm - Cake

10:00pm - Milk & scoop of PB

Fitness:

2:30pm - 

Warm Up: Laps & 4 sets Bodyweight drills

Weights: Chest/Tri/ LB - 155lbs Week 1

Conditioning: KB/Sled - 2 x 50/25 & 315lbs

Notes: It’s been a whirlwind couple of weeks with lots of travel, so been feeling very much out of balance. Finished a big trip this week and reassessing to make needed adjustments. Got to do some BJJ again on Friday and making plans to start training at a gym in California as well for when I’m traveling. Things are slowly taking shape, just trying to go with it, do the extra work towards goals when I can and enjoy the ride.

• Like 3

Weight: 222.8 lbs

Meals:

10:00pm - Egg whites, cheese, oatmeal, tomatoes, oj, coffee, vitamins

12:00pm - Matcha latte

2:30pm - Greek yogurt, honey, blue berries, granola, chips & cheese stick

5:30pm - Turkey meatloaf, mac&cheese, salad

9:30pm - Protein Shake, PB sandwich, banana

Fitness:

Rest Day

Notes: 

Started on to a new self mindfulness program today. Some friends have told me it’s helped a lot with their depression so going to give it a shot. So far feeling in a much better place. Didn’t make it to the gym today as sleep schedule is still off and got up too late. Rather than continuing the cycle just going to rest today and hit the gym in the morning. Baby steps....

• Like 2

Weight: 223.4 lbs

Water: 1/2 Gallon

Meals:

10:30pm - Egg whites, cheese, Raisin Bran, oj, coffee, vitamins

2:30pm - Italian sandwich, chips & coke

5:30pm - Chicken, rice, veggies, DE supplements & green tea

9:30pm - Milk & scoop of PB

Fitness:

None

Notes: 

Been a lot going on lately. The mindfulness stuff helps a bit but still keep getting these bouts of depression. I’m getting acceptance over them. One started this afternoon after a tough day and a lot of schedule shuffling. Been trying to get some volunteer programs started and both have seemed to have fallen through, which is really disconcerting. Going to really need to dial in my efforts on early morning workouts because that is really the only time that is going to work. Thankfully today’s depressive episode was only 6 hours which is half the time of the last one, so definitely making progress. One day at a time I suppose.