Macros: 105 Protein, 15 Carbs, 55 Fats

Calories: 1000 Calories

Meals:

8:30am - Protein Shake, Almond Butter & vitamins

12:00pm - Decaf Coffee

5:00pm - Chicken & veggies

Fitness:

Lifting: Back/Abs

Notes: New weight loss strategy confirmed, have to stay under 1000 calories to continue losing weight on the new medication dosage. Did 1450 yesterday and more or less maintained. Going to take some discipline to keep to that. Current plan is to do breakfast and dinners since that is when I have to take my medication and I also eat breakfast after my morning workout, so can’t afford to cut that meal from a muscle growth standpoint. The result is going to be an uncomfortable stretch between breakfast and dinner, but I know it’s just until I hit my target health goals, then lunch goes back in. I know I could probably do more small meals through the day, it’s just a personal preference to do a couple of large meals.

Also testing out decaf coffee in place of lunch since caffeine is supposed to help with hunger. It’s a very low amount (5mg/cup once or twice a day compared with the 1,000+mg/day I was having before) but it’s still playing with fire a bit since us bipolar folks tend to be very caffeine sensitive. Trial and error I suppose.

• Like 2

2020: Year of the Quiet Warrior

Word of the Year: Discipline

Weight: 205.6 lbs

Sleep: 8 Hrs

Water: 1 Gallon

Macros: 75 Protein, 5 Carbs, 40 Fats

Calories: 800 Calories

Meals:

8:30am - Almond Butter & vitamins

5:30pm - Cheese Stick, chicken, veggies

Fitness:

Rest Day

Notes: Last week was ridiculous. Worked close to 60 hours (about 50 of that in 3 days), sleep, diet and exercise were completely out the window. Dad also went to the hospital at the end of the week. All that resulted in a day long food binge Saturday of every sugary thing I could put in my mouth, further screwing up my sleep cycle and putting me into a rough place.

Lesson learned here is I listened to absolutely none of the suggestions I’m supposed to be following for my bipolar aside from medication and paid the price in a horrible mood, uncomfortable highs and lows and not being at my best for those around me.

Trying my best to take it as a learning experience and move on. Doing some fasting and taking it easy today to try and reset my body. Going to work on sticking to the basics this week along with an updated work out split with some more cardio to try and help my mood as well.

• Like 1

Weight: 203.4 lbs

Sleep: 9 Hrs

Water: 5/8 Gallon

Macros: 130 Protein, 10 Carbs, 65 Fats

Calories: 1200 Calories

Meals:

8:00am - Protein Shake & vitamins

7:30pm - Chicken, veggies, cheese stick, almonds, black berries

Fitness:

Lifting - Chest/Triceps

Cardio - 2.5 Miles Running

Notes: Feeling pretty good on my first day of adding cardio in. Curious to see how it effects my metabolism and what results it yields by end of week.

I appreciate all the concern here and really had no idea of the health related risks going below 1,000 calories per day. Taking it back up to 1,200 (which seems to be the lowest safe amount) and of course y’all with my doctor about it. Thanks @Urgan, @Kishi, @Jupiter, @Rubik'sCat, and @fitnessgurl for the info and concern!

• Like 5
On 2/4/2020 at 12:51 PM, Rubik'sCat said:

Wow, yes please be careful. Why does your bipolar medication make you restrict calories? 

In answer to this question, it doesn’t restrict calories. It tends to cause weight gain largely due to slowing the metabolism and causing water retention. Adding more cardio in to help boost my metabolism, increasing water intake, and tightening up my  nutrition, keeping in a healthier range of caloric intake going forward. There’s often a 15-20lb weight gain with this medication, which I’m trying to avoid, but if that is ultimately what’s needed then I’ll just have to go with it.

• Thanks 1

Weight: 202.2 lbs

Sleep: 8.5 Hrs

Macros: 120 Protein, 15 Carbs, 60 Fats

Calories: 1300 Calories

Meals:

8:00am - Protein Shake, almond butter & vitamins

6:00pm - Salmon & broccoli

Fitness:

Lifting - Back/Biceps

Cardio - 2 Miles Running

Notes: Sleep schedule is getting back on track. Had a good meeting with a counselor yesterday and prognosis is good. It’s time consuming but feel like the time spent there is going to be productive as I navigate this new phase of life.

Had a good meeting with my doctor. He confirmed I want to keep a healthy caloric intake (1200 or above) but wasn’t too worried. Starting into some more intensive medication increase in the search to find a stability so may be a rough couple of weeks, but I’m committed to following through with this and find a better quality of life.

• Like 3

Weight: 201.0 lbs

Sleep: 10 Hrs

Water: 1 Gallon

Macros: 130 Protein, 20 Carbs, 70 Fats

Calories: 1400 Calories

Meals:

8:00am - Protein Shake, almonds & vitamins

5:30pm - Cheese stock, olives, fish, veggies.

Fitness:

Rest Day

Notes: New night time medication knocked me for a loop and slept through my workout time. Hopefully that will get better with time and I can pick back up with some gym time tomorrow. Noticing a bit of an improvement and feeling pretty good with the added macros and cleaner calories.

• Like 1
On 2/12/2020 at 9:41 PM, ReturnOfTheDad said:

New night time medication knocked me for a loop and slept through my workout time

Are you able to take it at an earlier time?

When I take a sleep aid; I need to take it an hour before I actually go to sleep so I don't feel zombified in the morning.

• Thanks 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

9 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Are you able to take it at an earlier time?

When I take a sleep aid; I need to take it an hour before I actually go to sleep so I don't feel zombified in the morning.

It’s a good idea but had some other side effects so working with the doctor to move off of this one. For some people it causes them to sleep 12-15 hours at a time, which is what happened yesterday and was a lot for me especially since it wasn’t really doing what it was supposed to. Have another appointment to get that changed today.

It’s not uncommon to have to go through 10-20 medications for this to find what works. On to medication #8...

On 2/14/2020 at 5:07 AM, ReturnOfTheDad said:

It’s not uncommon to have to go through 10-20 medications for this to find what works. On to medication #8...

Wow, that's a lot. Hopefully this next one works better for you. 

• Thanks 1

Hey, just checking to see how you are doing? Hope things are going better for you. 

• Thanks 1

Weight: 220.4 lbs

Water: 6/8 Gallon

Macros: 140 Protein, 160 Carbs, 80 Fats

Calories: 2200 Calories

Meals:

7:30am - Protein Shake, cereal, vitamins

11:00am - Burger & chicken nuggets 

5:30pm - Manicotti, Salad, cake

Fitness: 

Rest Day

Notes:

Back after a break to get meds right. Hopefully this 9th round of medications will end up working out and we can focus on dosage from here on in.

A big challenge has been weight gain (amongst a lot of weird and draining side effects). On one of the medications I gained back nearly all the weight I lost from the months prior. The current meds seem to have my weight stabilized so just going to focus on proper nutrition and exercise as best I can and get back to logging as much as I have the energy for.

Thanks again for the check ins while I was going through all this.

• Like 2

Weight: 218.0 lbs

Sleep: 7 Hrs

Water: 2/3 Gallon

Macros: 170 Protein, 170 Carbs, 110 Fats

Calories: 2500 Calories

Meals:

8:00am - Protein Shake, cereal, vitamins

12:00pm - Beef, fried rice, dumplings

5:30pm - Chicken, rice, veggies 

Fitness: 

Lifting - Quads/Calves/Abs

Cardio - 2 Mile Jog

Notes:

In a period of recalibration. Meds are working as prescribed, just dialing in dosage. Also finding out how to manage some side effects, like meds make me not feel hungry, which means I have to pay closer attention to my eating schedule or I start getting light headed. Also have to watch my sugar and salt intake as the new meds put me at risk for something called metabolic syndrome which makes me much more likely to get diabetes and cardiovascular disease.

It’s still a lot to take in, so trying to do it a little at a time.

On the upside, had a chance to do some cooking for the family tonight. Came out pretty good:

336B9E31-9AC8-480A-9C73-6F564101775C.thumb.jpeg.520714d2e39b62ca2621a50e260bd50e.jpeg

Pan cooked chicken with spaghetti squash/zucchini and rice.

Feels good to do little things like cooking again. Going to try and do more of that.

• Like 2

Yum, looks delicious! Glad you're able to start slowly getting back into the swing of things. :) 

• Thanks 1

Weight: 218.6 lbs

Sleep: 10 Hrs

Water: 2/3 Gallon

Macros: 140 Protein, 140 Carbs, 60 Fats

Calories: 1500 Calories

Meals:

8:00am - Protein Shake, cereal, vitamins

12:00pm - Chicken, rice, veggies

5:30pm - Fish, veggies, bread

Fitness: 

Lifting - Chest/Lower Back

Cardio -  2 Mile Jog

Notes:

Got a lot done today, trying to find some normalcy in the midst of all the craziness on the news. Have a doctors appointment tomorrow for meds update. Hope that will go well, though it still might be another month before things get worked out.

Just trying to be patient and focus on the next right thing.

• Like 3

Weight: 217.6 lbs

Macros: 145 Protein, 160 Carbs, 105 Fats

Calories: 2700 Calories

Meals:

8:00am - Greek Yogurt, Honey, Almonds, Raisins, vitamins

11:00am - Beef Manicoti, chips

1:00pm - Cheese sticks & popcorn

4:00pm - Protein Shake & pb sandwich

5:20pm - Pizza

Fitness: 

Cardio - 1.5 Mile Jog

Notes:

Didn’t get to lifting today so going to have to try and catch up on that tomorrow. The gym is closed (like everything else right now) so going to try working out at a a local park with body weight equipment. Will post pictures tomorrow provided it’s not down pouring.

• Like 1

Weight: 217.0 lbs

Sleep: 9 Hrs

Water: 7/8 Gallon

Macros: 140 Protein, 160 Carbs, 90 Fats

Calories: 1800 Calories

Meals:

8:00am - Greek yogurt w/ honey, almonds, raisins

11:00am - PB sandwich 

1:00pm - Protein Shake & Cereal

5:30pm - Manicoti & pizza

Fitness: 

Lifting - Back/Obliques

Notes:

New meds did a number on me today, fortunately working from home because I had to take naps throughout the day just to make it through. Did make it to lift, so that was good.

Going to try and take meds at night tomorrow and hopefully will be much more coherent. Pretty worried as Mrs. ReturnOfTheDad developed a cough and a low grade fever the last couple of days. Hoping it is a run of the mill cold but tough to know with things the way they are. We’re keeping 6 ft from each other and I am taking care of the kids tomorrow and will most likely take the day off while she holes up in the bedroom.

Trying not to get too worked up over it and just keep taking things one moment at a time.

• Like 2