• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hi,

I am working towards the one arm pull-up (not the one when you hold your wrist or shoulder....or whatever else) and I´d like to ask if there is someone who already achieved it and how.....

I know there is a lot of videos and blogs and other forums on the internet on this topic but I´d like to ´´meet´´   someone who has already done it and ask some questions like...

How many 2 handed pull ups should I be able to do before attempting OAP?

Should I get there thru the weighted 2 handed pullups or follow progressions? (archer pullups, typewriters, around the world, 2finger->1finger)

What do you think about machines supporting your weight? (think its called gravitron)

Also if you got your OAPs recorded it would also be nice to see....    :)

I'm trying to write an article about it, but I'm lazy.

It's quite different from the normal pull-up. For the most part I think the grip and shoulder stability that people need to work on first.

On 8/31/2018 at 2:43 PM, Gawen said:

How many 2 handed pull ups should I be able to do before attempting OAP?

Should I get there thru the weighted 2 handed pullups or follow progressions? (archer pullups, typewriters, around the world, 2finger->1finger)

What do you think about machines supporting your weight? (think its called gravitron)

Also if you got your OAPs recorded it would also be nice to see....    :)

I am yet to train anyone to be able to do it, so I can't really prescribe a minimal strength standard. I might say 15-20 solid ones would probably be a good enough base.

Both added weight and reduced leverage help, but I do believe that leverage progressions have more carryover since the one-arm is a leverage progression rather than a weight progression (as opposed to a 2xBW Pull-up).

I don't like machines for this. I feel like they interfere with generating tension, particularly for the skill component. For accessory movements, maybe.

Technically chin-ups. I'll try to get a different video in sometime this week.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I am also working towards one arm pullups, but I think my grip strength is the primary thing holding me back. For now I am focusing on one arm dead hangs and negatives.

Yeah, those dead hangs are definitely key. I worked on sets of those and at the top position, and all the ROM in-between seemed to take care of itself. A huge part seems to be stabilizing; that's why probably I got the 2xBW Chin-up way before the one-arm. Strengthening weak stabilizers usually allows the body to ease up on the safety brakes and allows it to express more of the strength that it actually has. Particularly for the one-arm Pull-up, you'd want to be able to stabilize and control your body's rotation in addition to holding on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Machete said:

Particularly for the one-arm Pull-up, you'd want to be able to stabilize and control your body's rotation in addition to holding on.

Yeah, this has been where I have seen my biggest gains.  Hang time has gone from 2-3 seconds up to 15-20 seconds, but during that time I have improved a lot in terms of controlling rotation.  I was focusing on that aspect thanks to some advice I got from Mad Hatter a few challenges ago so I'm glad to get confirmation from another expert :) 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 3:50 PM, Gawen said:

I still got problem pulling it to the peak.....

What about you @Machete  ?

PS:   love your instagram posts

Thanks!

Haven't tried in a while, and I've put on a lot of weight. I can still do a bent arm hang, but that's about it.