Students Gonna Ranger: The Back to School Ranger Mini Challenge

School is back in swing and the Ranger Corps is going back to school. This is going to be another feat based challenge. Pick a feat for each of the four categories below. Each week of the challenge I will pick one of them for you to try and meet.

Your Categories are:

Home Economics: Set a goal for something to be done around your house, it could be cleaning, purging, minimizing, building, rearranging or decorating.

History: Attempt to meet or beat a fitness accomplishment from the past. This could be some sort of PR, max reps, anything.

Science: Pick an exercise or activity to see if you can find a way to improve your technique.

Math: How well can you add. Select some form of exercise and see how many reps you can crank out over the week.

• Like 8

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

4 minutes ago, Arkania said:

Would love to participate :)

Go ahead and declare your feats!

• Thanks 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Home Economics:

We're gonna live in this house for another two years (were not sure about that until my boyfriend decided to study also his master here at the university) I want to make this a cozy home. We now live here for about three years but it always was a provisional arrangement because we did not know how long we would stay.

To keep it smart:

- Minimalize the stuff we already have (or mostly I have...)
- decorate the home (e.g. print photos and put on the walls)

- replace temporaries (e.g. kitchen fitting)

History:

Last year I managed it to make 4 chin ups and 3 pull ups. Now I am barely at 2-3 chin ups and max. 2 pull ups. Want to beat or at least meet this goal again.

Science:

Definitely dips. I don't know why I only use my breat muscles for that. Think it has to do with the position of my hands.

Math:

Hip thrusts! Need to do something for my butt and this is a good option for that.

• Like 2

Home Economics: Clean my damn room!

Jordan-Peterson-clean-your-room.png

History: Beat my 5k PR of 27:45.

ColdHairyDassie-size_restricted.gif 

Science: Try the WHM technique for improving push-ups to see if I can do more in one set.

BothAshamedDesertpupfish-size_restricted   

Math: Going to see how many burpees I can do in one week. (unless this falls under Max Week for Soulcon, in which case I may need to change it up to a different week).

WanAppropriateAntipodesgreenparakeet-siz

• Like 3

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle Earth

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

Oh hey someone has a lot of free time on their hands and can finally participate in a Ranger mini...........

*looks side to side* Mwehehe~

INTENSE FEATS OF JUSTICE

Home Economics: Set a goal for something to be done around your house, it could be cleaning, purging, minimizing, building, rearranging or decorating.

I've gotta paint the downstairs bathroom.  I suppose it depends on when I get my painting supplies and choose a color and stuff.........

History: Attempt to meet or beat a fitness accomplishment from the past. This could be some sort of PR, max reps, anything.

Huh, this one might be tough, I'm kinda at a fitness low-point right now....... I think I'll try and tackle a local hike I've never done before??  Stay tuned...

Science: Pick an exercise or activity to see if you can find a way to improve your technique.

I'm gonna work on my mobility here, specifically - shoulders - hips - ankles.  I'm stiff from not doing things regularly!

Math: How well can you add. Select some form of exercise and see how many reps you can crank out over the week.

Yeee I'm bad at math.  This will depend if/when I have my gym membership active by the time this falls.... if not, I'll default to sun salutations~

• Like 3

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

Yay, I like this challenge! Let's do this:

Home Economics

Book purge. I'd like to get another set of shelves to hold some of my books, but the truth is I really could just get rid of a bunch of them. I'm not going to make myself pitch any I really like, but there are some that I will probably never re-read. Those can go.

History

I pulled out my old workout log for this one, and I'm ashamed to say the entire month of September for last year is blank. So to make up for that, I have to do one active thing every day. This could be a strength workout, cardio, or yoga.

Science

Wall walks are my nemesis. I get really sharp elbow pain every time I try to do them. I assume this is probably a form problem, but I haven't been able to pin down exactly what the issue is. I'll see if I can sort this out once and for all.

Math

Push ups. I've leveled up to diamond push ups in my workouts, but for this week we'll just see how many standard push ups I can accumulate in one week.

• Like 3

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

1 hour ago, RangerDanger said:

Book purge.

Hey, I'm a high school Language Arts teacher, so if any of those books might be appropriate for high school students you could send some my way!

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle Earth

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

I'm in!

A mini challenge sounds like fun! And first time is always the best, right? :D

I have two things that really needs to get done the coming weeks. But they're both super boring :( So putting them up here hopefully will give me a little extra incentive to do them!

20180911_085147.jpg.399c43117836c85a6d5229284df4e802.jpg 20180910_080952.jpg.6bd5362ffe7fb3a419f656cb3f8f2ff8.jpg 

I need to finish putting wall panel on my house. And I need to get that fire wood under a roof, away from the rain, asap!

I'm going to set the bar pretty low for this one, since I know I won't be home every day, and when it's raining too much I can't, and don't want to work on this.

Goal: 30 minutes per day on average. That is, for whatever week we need to do this challenge I'll work on this for a total of a minimum of 30x7 minutes = 3.5 hours. If I want to do all 3.5 hours on the Monday, and skip rest of the week, that's totally fine!

History: Attempt to meet or beat a fitness accomplishment from the past. This could be some sort of PR, max reps, anything.

I'm picking the Assisted One Leg Squat for this challenge. I did 10 I think during the Benchmark Test. I want to do more than that! 

Goal: 11 Assisted One Leg Squats

Science: Pick an exercise or activity to see if you can find a way to improve your technique.

Bodyweight pushups! Have never had a problem with these before. But for some reason my left elbow has been acting up the last few times I've tried doing push ups. It has to be a form issue. Going to look in to that! I'm going to have to do a few different things to fix this. I'll list them as goals.

Goals:

• Watch a few "proper form push up" videos
  • Read the NF article/pdf on push ups
  • Film myself doing push ups to be able to check my form (first time ever I film myself doing any kind of exercise!)
  • Complete 10 body weight push ups with proper form

Bildresultat för funny walking gif

To keep this one simple I'm just going to go with counting steps. I'll use the step count from the Samsung health app on my phone for keeping track of this

Goal: Average 12000 steps per day. So a total of at least 84000 steps for the week. But also no less than 10000 steps any given day.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Didn't expect to see you here! (But super glad to have you! :DThought you would join a mini in the assassin guild forum.

My next (actual) challenge is still in the rebel subforum (see my signature). I think I will join the assassins but these mini challenges (even if Ranger or Warrior or...) are free for all and I liked the theme :D

Back here on the boards to try yet another re-spawn!

I appreciate the mini-challenge to get us through the next several days until the official 4-wk challenge starts!

Home Ec: I bought a bunch of mulch and flowers (that are now half-dead....but half-dead is partly alive, no?) weeks ago and have yet to clean up my apartments front green space. It shall be done!

History: Sheesh..this is pretty much my full 4-week challenge! But,for a mini-challenge, I'll say get back to being able to complete 20 alternating lunges without support again!

Science: My favorite subject!! :D I may pick up a free welcome/basics class at my local crossfit to work on lifting form. (I'd love to join, but grad school got me *super* broke right now).

Math: Squat away, mon fre! I'm hoping to get my knees feeling less crabby and my range of motion/depth improved a bit!

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Welcome back to the boards! (Says another n00b)

But I think either you or me has misunderstood something :P My understanding is that this mini-challenge will run during the same four weeks as the regular challenges. Am I wrong?

You are correct. In week one of the challenge I'll select one of the classes and that will be the week for that feat.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Hey, I'm a high school Language Arts teacher, so if any of those books might be appropriate for high school students you could send some my way!

That works for me. I think it's going to be a pretty eclectic mix, so I'll just put up a list when I actually sort through them all and you can call dibs on whatever you want.

• Like 2

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

54 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

That's so generous of you! Shipping books is usually expensive since they're so heavy!

Media mail lets you ship books for 2.50  no matter how much they weigh

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RangerDanger said:

That works for me. I think it's going to be a pretty eclectic mix, so I'll just put up a list when I actually sort through them all and you can call dibs on whatever you want.

Feel free to message me the titles if that works better.

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Can't remember the last time I did a mini. Time to change that!

Home Ec: Plan and setup all of the emails and deadlines for the Cub Scout pack this year. If I've got them setup and ready to go, I just need to setup reminders and send them out.

History: Since the temps should start becoming more reasonable, we'll see if I can beat my top 5 mile time of 39:28.

Science: Squat Cleans. I was doing them today and my form sucked. So, it's a perfect candidate for improving.

Math: This one is easy -- pullups. I can finally do them with good form, so let's see how many I can do in a week.

• Like 5

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

This challenge sounds great! I have some travel, so I'm giving myself permission to start on any of these early.

Home Economics: Change the gross old toilet seat that came with the house too many years ago

History: In past years, there was a pretty accurate mile marked on my favorite trail. The trail has been re-routed a bit. I'm going to measure it a couple times with the GPS and covertly mark it. I might try to mark the quarters too. Then I'll run at least one hard mile as a benchmark.

Science: Mushroom croquette!! I had some awesome ones at a restaurant. I tried to re-create and failed (I ended up with something more like a quinoa mushroom patty). Gonna try at least once more.

The main change this time will be to follow a legit croquette recipe and not try to tweak it in any way.

Math: Pushup negatives

. I'm running a marathon during this challenge, so I may move this to a different week (try it during one of the earlier weeks and then try again if it works out that way).
  • Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

39 minutes ago, Xena said:

Science: Mushroom croquette!! I had some awesome ones at a restaurant. I tried to re-create and failed (I ended up with something more like a quinoa mushroom patty). Gonna try at least once more.

The main change this time will be to follow a legit croquette recipe and not try to tweak it in any way.

What a creative way of interpreting this category. I love it! :applause: (Anything food related! :D Plate)

Please update us with any failed attempts too! A mushroom croquette sounds like something I'd like to be able to cook too! Yummy

• Like 1