Someday, I'll Be a Spy

Okay, so not a real spy, but someone who looks like a spy ala Totally Spies, Kim Possible, Ziva David, Emma Frost, etc

Hello all! I'm Kerri, and I am trying to get my health back.  Well, as back as I can (chronic illness, meh, read my Rebel Intro thread for more on that...)

I am extremely overweight right now (279lbs at 5 foot 4inches) It's only like 5 pounds less than my highest weight. I'm sick of living sick and tired. I'm sad at the clothes that no longer fit, and even sadder about all the things I can't do anymore. A little hike (like about 2 normal city blocks at the most) wore me out fast today...   

My first real goal is a very simple one: Eat 3 meals a day. 1 or 2 snacks. No less, no more

Having a history of disordered eating, I struggle with this more than I probably should. Lately, combine my poor health and body image with lots of life stresses and my thoughts are geared toward ED behaviors (like skipping meals, eating only safe foods, etc) and that has to be stopped in its tracks before it gets out of hand. The way I'm going to try to do this is by eating at these specific times each day: 

Breakfast - 9:30 AM

Lunch - 1:30 PM

Snack - 5:00 PM

Dinner/Supper -  7:30 PM

Snack - 10:00 PM at the latest

This is my first goal. I am getting groceries tomorrow (making a healthy grocery list tonight) I will be posting/keeping track of my meals in this thread, but due to my ED history, I will be only putting the food I ate and amount, no nutritional values. 

Eventually, I'll work on more, but this is where I am starting. I have goals planned out and ready for the next challenge when it starts.

• Like 2

I am worthy of giving myself fuel to thrive.

Hi Kerri! I'm Jett.

This seems like a great foundational step to take to get your health back on track! I'm in a similar stage of creating healthy eating habits, myself, although the tracking that works for me will definitely be different than for you. That's something I've noticed - the specific way of tracking everything can look very different from person to person. My wife, for example, uses the calorie tracking app LoseIt almost religiously. But I can't seem to stick to using apps like that, for some reason. Instead, I just record what I've eaten (including calorie amounts) in an email draft on my phone, then post it on my thread here at the end of the day. And in your case, it makes total sense to not track the calories at all, just the amounts and timing. The very act of tracking makes us mindful of what we're doing, and that's so helpful! Public accountability can be helpful, too. :3

(I'm trying to find a way to say, 'I'll be watching your food log' without it sounding kind of creepy, but uh... I think I failed there. lol)

I saw on your intro thread that you do Bullet Journaling. (I do a really simplified BuJo thing, myself!) Are you gonna do any kind of spread to track your eating in your BuJo?

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Jett said:

Hi Kerri! I'm Jett.

This seems like a great foundational step to take to get your health back on track! I'm in a similar stage of creating healthy eating habits, myself, although the tracking that works for me will definitely be different than for you. That's something I've noticed - the specific way of tracking everything can look very different from person to person. My wife, for example, uses the calorie tracking app LoseIt almost religiously. But I can't seem to stick to using apps like that, for some reason. Instead, I just record what I've eaten (including calorie amounts) in an email draft on my phone, then post it on my thread here at the end of the day. And in your case, it makes total sense to not track the calories at all, just the amounts and timing. The very act of tracking makes us mindful of what we're doing, and that's so helpful! Public accountability can be helpful, too. :3

(I'm trying to find a way to say, 'I'll be watching your food log' without it sounding kind of creepy, but uh... I think I failed there. lol)

I saw on your intro thread that you do Bullet Journaling. (I do a really simplified BuJo thing, myself!) Are you gonna do any kind of spread to track your eating in your BuJo?

Hi Jett! I have the same problem with those calorie tracking apps. I have not decided if I am going to make BuJo spread for food tracking or not. I do have one started for my NF Quests that I want to do for my character, and am going to make one for my Challenge.

17 hours ago, Tobbe said:

That's a pretty late breakfast for most people (nothing wrong with that, just noticing...). When do you usually get up in the morning?

I don't usually get up until 9 AM; bedtime is usually 1 AM, so 8 hours of sleep. I have always had trouble getting up in the morning (fibro stiffness, and ADHD make shifting states a bit rough) and found that 9 AM works best for me. Plus, I don't leave the house until 11:30 most days 

Today was not a good food day.

I'm not having the best day physically (thanks, body) and when I get like this... I tend to use food to cope.

I wanted to go grocery shopping today, but my pain and fatigue were just too bad. My friend offered to buy me some stuff at the gas station after I gave her a ride, so I just grabbed a bunch of junk.

1 Big bag of Flaming Hot Fries

1 bag of Pumpkin Pie M&Ms (shareable size)

1 Tereakyi Beef Jerky stick (Jack Links)

1 bag of Drizzled Chocolate Rice Cake Minis 

1 Starbucks Molten Dark Chocolate drink (16oz I think)

Half a Blue Gatorade (12oz)

I've basically eaten that all throughout the course of the day, which sucks because I was hoping to get at least a little better at meal timing today.

But, tomorrow is a new day! I hope.

On 9/8/2018 at 4:02 AM, X-23 said:

I don't usually get up until 9 AM; bedtime is usually 1 AM, so 8 hours of sleep. I have always had trouble getting up in the morning (fibro stiffness, and ADHD make shifting states a bit rough) and found that 9 AM works best for me. Plus, I don't leave the house until 11:30 most days 

I knew there was a good explanation for your meal times :) Eating at 9:30 when waking up at 9 is of course totally logical

• Like 1

Hey everyone!

So far... it's been rough. My money situation is extremely tight right now, and so I have the bare minimum of food in my house. I have rice. I have beans and oatmeal. And that's about it.

So eating anything on a schedule, eating meals... well it's tough. Plus, I've been running a fever the last couple days and am now on an antibiotic for it.  

I have been able to at least get one solid meal in per day. And then whatever I can get offered, or find in our cupboards.

It's hard being healthy when the rest of my life is kinda falling apart. I am trying though. I'm definitely drinking more water now.

Here for support too ! Life can be hard, sometimes. I've found that when I can't buy all the food I need, taking the time to do some real cooking usually helps (like, starting at 10 am, letting it cook till 2 pm and eating then, then the leftovers in the afternoon). There is some helpful advice about healthy eating with few bucks on the internet too (that's when I bought my first cooking pot).

Allow yourself some space for failure but do rise up again afterward. Sometimes, being great is not parading in a shining armor but just doing the best we can with what few we have. Keep at it, you're great !

• Like 2

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

I'm going to break down the 5 Main Quests that I want to focus on in the next 6 months to a year. I'm breaking them down here cause I'm tired of trying to keep track of the papers I have them written on haha. Each of these Parts will eventually be a part of a 4-week challenge. My first one is posted now!

5 Main Quests

1. Quest 1: No Diabetes
    • Step 1: Start checking my sugars regularly.
      • Part A.) Gather Supplies (meter, test strips, needles, etc)
      • Part B.) Check my sugar every day at 9 AM when I wake up for 4 weeks.
      • Part C.) Track my fasting sugar # in my Bullet Journal for 4 weeks.
    • Step 2: Eat Less Sugar
      • Part D.) Track my sugar intake on an app for 4 weeks.
      • Part E.) Focus on eating 2 servings of vegetables per day for 4 weeks.
      • Part F.) Do not buy processed snacks with sugar above 10g for 4 weeks. (INCLUDING DRINKS!)
    • Step 3: Do the Hormone Reset Diet to see if it will help reset your insulin
      • Part G.) Buy the entire list of food for all 21 days.
      • Part H.) Plan out every meal (and snack) for all 21 days.
      • Part I.) Complete the first 3 resets (Meat & Alcohol, Sugar and Fruit )
      • Part J.) Complete the last 4 resets (Caffeine, Grain, Dairy and Toxins)
  2. Quest 2: Lose It, Woman
    • Step 1: Start Food tracking.
      • Part A.) Decide which app to use to log your food intake.
      • Part B.) Set a calorie goal and stay within range for 4 weeks.
      • Part C.)Track food at 9:30 PM every night for 4 weeks
    • Step 2: Eat meals at the same time every day
      • Part D.) Decide the times for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
      • Part E.) Eat breakfast at the designated time for 4 weeks.
      • Part F.) Eat lunch at the designated time for 4 weeks.
      • Part G.) Eat dinner at the designated time for 4 weeks.
    • Step 3: Start an exercise routine
      • Part H.) Do Judo and/or yoga 2 times a week for 4 weeks.
      • Part I.) Perform the NF Beginner Bodyweight work out 1 time per week for 4 weeks.
      • Part J.) Part 10 squats, 20 wall push-ups, 20 wall slides, and 10 sec plank every day for 4 weeks.
  3. Quest 3: Publish that Poetry!
    • Step 1: Finish editing and rewriting the rough draft.
      • Part A.) Finish editing the first section in 4 weeks. (Typed)
      • Part B.) Finish editing the second section in 4 weeks. (Typed)
      • Part C.) Finish editing the third section in 4 weeks. (Typed)
    • Step 2:  Get It Beta Read/Edited
      • Part D.) Choose your beta reader(s)
      • Part E.) Send to Beta Reader by the end of your 2nd Challenge (Nov. 18th)
      • Part F.) Accept the constructive criticism and make any and all changes by Dec. 31st, 2018
    • Step 3. Self Publish using a site you have researched
      • Part G.) Reread and proofread final draft by Jan 1st, 2019
      • Part H.) Calculate publishing costs by December 31st, 2018
      • Part I.) Read the Publishing Guides on the website by December 31st, 2018
      • Part J.) Publish the book by January 31st, 2019
  4. Quest 4: Sell that Stuff (Artwork)
    • Step 1:  Finish 5 Projects (minimum)
      • Part A.) Finish Jack Skellington 
      • Part B.) Finish the Hex Girls by the end of your 1st Challenge
      • Part C.) Finish the Flowers on Canvas by end of 2nd Challenge
      • Part D.) Finish project for Dez by November 1st, 2018
      • Part E.) Finish any other art project by December 31st, 2018
    • Step 2: Get a page, website, group, some platform for my art.
      • Part F.) Decide what site to use by the end of 2nd Challenge
      • Part G.) Create/write basic descriptions of 5 artworks by November 1st, 2018
      • Part H.) Research and read 10 articles on selling art online by the end of the 2nd challenge.
    • Step 3: Make business cards for my art.
      • Part I.) Choose a name for selling art
      • Part J.) Make a prototype card by  November 1st, 2018
      • Part K.) Finish final cards by December 30th, 2018.
  5. Quest 5: Go Back to School
    • Step 1: Meet with the advisor to discuss finances.
      • Part A.) Call the advisor by October 25th, 2018
      • Part B.) Meet with the advisor before November 1st, 2018
      • Part C.) Set out a class schedule and approximate costs with her.
      • Part D.) Discuss going only online vs in-class. Decide which one by November 1st, 2018
    • Step 2: Fill out the FASFA for the next school year/Financial Aid
      • Part E.) Discuss with an advisor the FASFA stuff
      • Part F.) Gather letters if need waiver again (since under 24) by November 1st, 2018
      • Part G.) Discuss with papa if needing extra money for books
    • Step 3: Get accommodations for my disabilities
      • Part H.) Call the disability center/help section of the college.
      • Part I. )Meet with the disability aid at the college.
      • Part J.) Get accommodations for lectures (recorded, transcribed, handed notes, etc.)
      • Part K.) Get accommodations for appointments if possible, flexible attendance requirements.
      • Part L.) Discuss preferential seating, frequent breaks/med passes,  and beverages in class.
      • Part M.)  Discuss early availability of syllabus and textbooks,  advanced notice of assignments,  and extended time on assignments when necessary.
      • Part N.)  Permission for stretching breaks, light-weight projects only, etc due to the fibromyalgia.
      • Part O.) Ask for private feedback from each of my professors (through email, and 1-on-1)
      • Part P.)  Discuss extra time to prepare for discussions, and/or permission to write out discussions and then speak
    • Step 4: Get ready to go to classes
      • Part Q.) Register for classes, and books.
      • Part R.) Get books from Chegg for cheap
      • Part S.) Get school supplies from Mom before the semester starts.
      • Part T.) Start the first week of the semester and record EVERYTHING. 
      • Part U.) Reevaluate accommodations with DSS coordinator and advisor by 1 month into school.
      • Part V.) Get a tutor by the halfway point of the semester if any classes are hard.
      • Part W.) Pass all classes with a B or higher.
  • Like 4

Just now, X-23 said:

So far... it's been rough. My money situation is extremely tight right now, and so I have the bare minimum of food in my house. I have rice. I have beans and oatmeal. And that's about it.

So eating anything on a schedule, eating meals... well it's tough. Plus, I've been running a fever the last couple days and am now on an antibiotic for it.  

I have been able to at least get one solid meal in per day. And then whatever I can get offered, or find in our cupboards.

It's hard being healthy when the rest of my life is kinda falling apart. I am trying though. I'm definitely drinking more water now.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I know what that's like, to not really have any options but the cheapest possible food. But, like Tobbe said, rice and beans is a good staple. Supplement that with frozen veggies, and eggs for protein, and buy spices and sauces when you can. You can do a lot with just those simple base ingredients. Including batch cooking to do on good days, so you have something to each at a regular meal time on days when you're low on spoons. If you need recipe ideas, let me know.

I really, really like how detailed and specific your goals are! That's excellent. My only potential concern for you is wondering what would happen if you start to get behind on some part of your plan. Having specific duedates is very good, but don't forget to give yourself some leeway if you miss a due date. Especially if it's due to circumstances you can't control! (That includes being out of spoons!)

• Like 1

Wow! Nice write up of your goals! That's very good!

8 hours ago, X-23 said:

Part J.) Part 10 squats, 20 wall push-ups, 20 wall slides, and 10 sec plank every day for 4 weeks.

We're all at different levels, and our bodies have more/less problems with specific movements and exercises. But for me 20 wall slides is tough, while a 10 sec plank is super easy. Basically I'm worried you underestimate how touch a wall slide is. I know I did. They sound so easy!

2 hours ago, Jett said:

My only potential concern for you is wondering what would happen if you start to get behind on some part of your plan

I really agree on this point! Make sure you have a plan for when the shit hits the fan. Try to think of different things that might throw a wrench in the machinery and how you'll handle that.

If you have the time, I'd recommend you read this article about goals

https://www.niashanks.com/achieving-goals-how-to-succeed/

(Or listen to the 25 minutes podcast episode https://www.niashanks.com/podcast/ns3-achieving-goals-hard-people-fail-heres-finally-succeed/)

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, X-23 said:

The 20 wall slides were part of my PT routine for my shoulders, so they've become easy. My core strength sucks right now, so a 10 sec plank feels rough. I used to be able to do 2 minutes. 

There you go! With how well the rest of your goals where planned out I should have known you knew what you were doing! I just did my first ever wall slide a few weeks ago. Had never even heard of them before.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Tobbe said:

13 hours ago, Jett said:

My only potential concern for you is wondering what would happen if you start to get behind on some part of your plan

I really agree on this point! Make sure you have a plan for when the shit hits the fan. Try to think of different things that might throw a wrench in the machinery and how you'll handle that.

This too. I like having multiple goals at a time because most of the time, that means that if one of them goes awry, I can use the progress I'm making in the others to pump me up and put me back on trail. Keeping perspective on them is key to it.

On a different note, I'd be interested to know more of your art. If you ever start a wemakeit, kickstarter or whatever on the way to your "Publish that Poetry!" or "Sell that Stuff (Artwork)" quests, do let me know. I'll be happy to kick in.

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

Hey everyone thank you for the encouragement!! My mental health hasn't been the greatest the last few days, so I'm trying to keep myself above water with everything. I am getting started on my goals the best I can. Here's tomorrow's plan (also gonna put dinner at 6:30 cause waiting til 7:30 was too difficult most days)

Plan for 9/22/18 

• Eat breakfast at 9:30  (oatmeal with slivered almonds and pumpkin pie spice)
  • Track my breakfast in MFP to keep a log on sugar.
  • Finish the 1st section of editing my poetry book (I think I only need to type it, I gotta check... but I know I don't have much left of section 1 to edit)
  • Work minimum of 2 hours on my HEX GIRLS project
  • Do 10 squats
  • Do 20 Wall push-ups
  • Do 20 Wall Slides
  • Do a :10 sec plank
  • Log any other food or drink you eat (pay attention only to the SUGAR content, not the calories)

I will update tomorrow night with how it went!

Also, I am hoping to create a page or Etsy OR something for my art soon... I will try to keep ya'll updated on that. My writing is my first and foremost love so publishing is/has always been a bigger goal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2018 at 2:54 AM, Tobbe said:

Ohh, it's where your avatar is from :) Had never heard of them before :) 

Yep! It's Scooby Doo related. 1st movie they were in was Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost.

Here's my day so far.

Plan for 9/22/18 

• Eat breakfast at 9:30  (oatmeal with slivered almonds and pumpkin pie spice)  Ended up eating at 11:15 at my parents' house.
  • Track my breakfast in MFP to keep a log on sugar. 
  • Finish the 1st section of editing my poetry book (I think I only need to type it, I gotta check... but I know I don't have much left of section 1 to edit)  Done, finished last night actually!
  • Work minimum of 2 hours on my HEX GIRLS project
  • Do 10 squats
  • Do 20 Wall push-ups
  • Do 20 Wall Slides
  • Do a :10 sec plank
  • Log any other food or drink you eat (pay attention only to the SUGAR content, not the calories)
  • Like 2