• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost Practices Allomancy

Related image

In the Mistborn series, there are people called Allomancers.  An Allomancer can ingest certain metals and "burn" or intentionally consume them in order to perform a certain "magical" action.  The following list lays out the basic 8 metals and what they do.   

Image result for Allomancy

For this challenge, in order to "burn" a metal, I will need to accomplish  specific task or activity as follows:

Burning Steel: 

Image result for Steel Ingot

Burning steel allows the Allomancer to push metal away from them.  Therefore burning steel will be a push related workout.  The workout will be outlined in the next post.

Burning Iron:

Image result for Iron Ingot

Burning iron allows the Allomancer to pull metal towards them  Accordingly this will be a pull related workout, which will again be in the next post

Burning Tin:

Image result for Tin Ingot

Burning tin enhances the Allomancer's five senses and intellectual ability.  For this I am going to work on stimulating my mind by learning or researching some new information every day.  Any topic is OK as long as I am actively seeking out something new to learn.

Burning Pewter:

Image result for Pewter Ingot

Burning pewter increases the Allomancer's physical strength and endurance.  To burn pewter I will do leg & core workouts and run.  The specific workouts will come next

Burning Bronze:

image.jpeg.bb6403f0ec2a1bd7dceac15d36505c6b.jpeg

Burning bronze allows the Allomancer to see other Allomancers burning metals and, depending on how skilled they are, identify exactly which metals are being consumed.  I will burn bronze by recording my food in MyFitnessPal.  I find that I tend to eat better when I track through MFP.

Burning Copper:

Image result for Copper Ingot

Burning copper masks the use of Allomancy and hides the Allomancer from someone burning bronze.  A person who burns copper is called a "smoker" because they create a cloud around the person which can also hide anyone else using Allomancy in the vicinity of the smoker.  To burn copper I will eat a homemade meal at least once a day, and will attempt to cook at least 1 new recipe each week.

Burning Zinc:

Image result for Zinc Ingot

Burning zinc allows the Allomancer to "riot" or enflame the emotions of a person or group of people.  I will burn zinc by practicing the ukulele 5 times per week, the goal being to learn a new song each week.

Burning Brass: 

Image result for Brass Ingot

Burning brass allows the Allomancer to soothe the emotions of a person or group of people.  I will burn brass by stretching at each day for at least 10 minutes, but targeting 30 minutes

Burning Atium:

Image result for Atium

There are also other non-basic metals that can be burned, the most valuable of which is Atium, which allows the Allomancer to see a few seconds into the future, making them almost invincible in battle.  I will burn Atium by doing Wim Hof breathing retention exercises and taking cold showers.

I will come up with a tracking and scoring system over the course of this week and update that into post two as I figure it out.

• Like 16

Pull Workout:  Targeting at least 5 reps of each.  This will be supplemented by my Thenics Muscle Up, Front Lever, and Back Lever progression workouts.

Spoiler

Explosive:

CTB pullups

Jump MU

Pulluots (7s)

Plyo Pullups

Levers:

Tuck Front Lever Lifts

Tuck Front Lever Rows

Tuck Front Lever Pullups

Front Lever Lifts

Tuck Back Lever Lifts

Back Lever Extensions

German Hang Pullups

Single Arm:

OAPU Negatives

OA Scapular Retractions

OA Rows

OA Deadhangs

Other:

L-Sit Pullups

Commando Pullups

Dragon Lifts

Headbangers

Typewriters

Archer Pullups

Behind the Head Pullups

Toes to Bar

Push Workout: Similar to the pull workout, I will start with 5 reps of each and adjust as necessary.  This will be supplemented by my Thenics Planche, Handstand Pushup, and V-sit progression workouts.

Spoiler

Horizontal Pushing:

Clap Pushups

Pike Pushups

Hindu Pushups

Pseudo Planche Pushups

Cat Pushups

Plank Tricep Extensions

Psuedo Planche Lean

Vertical Pushing:

Handstand Pushup

Handstand Kickups

Shoulder Taps

Wall Handstand

Headstand

Bar Pushing:

Deep Dips

Russian Dips

Single Bar Dips

L-Sit Dips

Scapular Dips

Twist Dips

Shoulder Press

Legs & Core Workout: I will target 10 reps of everything leg related, and anywhere from 10-100 reps for the abs items, depending on how hard I find them.  These will be supplemented by my Thenics Pistol Squat progression workouts

Spoiler

Single Leg:

Single Leg Box Jumps

Shrimp Squats

Single Leg Hip Extensions

Deep Stepups

Single Leg Deadlifts

Bench Pistol

Bulgarian Squats

Jump Archer Squats

Jump Lunges

Single Leg Calf Raises

Double Leg:

Close Leg Deep Squats

Deep Squat Holds

Jump Squats

Posterior Chain:

Glute Bridges

Hip Extensions

Lumbar Extensions

Cobras

Supermans

Vertical Situps

Supine Abs:

Flutter Kicks

Scissors

Hello Dollys

Situps

Other Abs:

Pistons

Windshield Wipers

Leg Raises

Straddle Leg Raises

Knee Raises

Straddle Leg Raise Holds

Lots of work to be done!

Which areas are you thinking of learning about? You said anything would be ok, but what are your interests for this challenge?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Love the challenge theme! 

Thanks, I am about halfway through the second book and quite enjoying the series

2 hours ago, zenLara said:

Lots of work to be done!

Which areas are you thinking of learning about? You said anything would be ok, but what are your interests for this challenge?

I will be starting Spanish tomorrow, so that will obviously be something I can fall back on, but mostly I want to focus on something technology or science related (I know, very broad) or geopolitical/macroeconomic current events (reading the news doesn't count here, it has to be actively searching out specific information.  Headlines can be a source of inspiration for the day's topic, though)

• Like 2

Good books.  I wish Sanderson was more descriptive in his worldbuilding, his worlds often feel like minimalist stage sets to me, but the story itself is very good.  

If you enjoy Mistborn, and haven't read them yet, you'd probably also enjoy Elantris and Warbreaker.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, annyshay said:

Awesome.

Hi, nice to see you here

21 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

So how does one burn Pewter without getting heavy metal poisoning?

I mean, following.

Well, obviously you have to burn it off before your body has a chance to digest it...  Oh wait, I mean glad to have you :) 

21 hours ago, Hazard said:

Good books.  I wish Sanderson was more descriptive in his worldbuilding, his worlds often feel like minimalist stage sets to me, but the story itself is very good.  

If you enjoy Mistborn, and haven't read them yet, you'd probably also enjoy Elantris and Warbreaker.

Yeah, I have noticed the same thing.  This is the first time to read a good fantasy novel where I haven't felt compelled to read and reread the maps so I can picture what is going on.   The places in the world, and even the locations of places inside the city are surprisingly inconsequential to the story.  Thanks for the suggestions, I am currently looking for something to read when I finish this, so I will look into those.

19 hours ago, @mu said:

Heavy challenge coming up :lol:

You got that right

Image result for heavy metal gif

14 hours ago, Jonesy said:

What an interesting challenge set up you have created. Love it!

I've never read any of the books but I've heard good things. 

I only heard of the series a few challenges ago myself

6 hours ago, Teancum said:

Awesome theme! Mistborn is next on my reading list once my hold at the library comes through! 

I suspect you will enjoy it

Allomancy Report:

Steel (pushing): Nothing scheduled for this

Iron (Pulling):  I was able to get through most of the exercises on my list, but was not able to get 5 reps of all of them.  

Tin (Learning): I had lunch with a good friend of mine who is an expert on US/China relations.  During the lunch he explained why the relationships between the two countries are so difficult (particularly with regard to the trade war) and why it will be so difficult to resolve.  Very interesting (but also very complex) stuff

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): After my pull workout, I went for a 5k run.  I felt pretty good during the run, and my speeds were back up to where I was when I was doing a lot of running last year (sub 6:00/km) but still quite a bit slower than my peak when I was in the army (sub 6:00/mile)

Bronze (MFP): I realized I hadn't recorded anything yet so I just put everything from the last 2 days into MFP.  Apparently I should eat something because I have already burned more than I have eaten so far...

Copper (Cooking): I made some burritos yesterday (along with homemade salsa & sour cream) which was tasty.  I need to think about what to have for dinner tonight.  Maybe either spaghetti or I might make some rosemary chicken.  Decisions, decisions...

Zinc (Ukulele): Nothing done on this today  

Brass (Stretching):  I did a good 15-20 minutes last night, mostly focused on my hips

Atium (Wim Hof): I was in a bit of a rush this morning so I skipped this

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Shello said:

Following! 

OHAI!

14 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Needs to be more ways to like this. Love the books, love the challenge. Following. 

Thanks and welcome.  I am loving the books too

5 hours ago, Ensi said:

Oooh, what a lovely theme! Following :)

Welcome aboard, Pirate  Pumpkin Eater  Pumpkin Dweller

Allomancy Report:

Steel (pushing): Did my push workout this morning as outlined in post two and it was killer.  I'm glad I limited myself to 5 reps of everything because I was hitting muscle failure by the end.  It has been a long time since I have found myself in literal muscle failure because I usually quit when I hit form failure.  I was surprised that they both came simultaneously this morning.  After the workout I ran for a bit (see below) and then did my Thenics workouts (progressions for specific skills).  The Thenics workouts are in the spoiler for anyone interested in the details

Spoiler

Planche:

Pseudo Planche Pushups 3x5

Pseudo Planche Lean 3x15s

Leg Raises 3x8

Supermans 3x10

Handstand Pushup:

Pike Pushup 3x5

Hindu Pushup 3x6

Headstand 3x60s

Wall Handstand 3x20

V-Sit:

Straddle Leg Raise Hold 3x10s

Scapular Dips 3x5

Straddle Leg Raise 3x8

Knee Raises 3x10 (was not able to complete this one)

Iron (Pulling):  Nothing Scheduled 

Tin (Learning): I learned a couple of new Scandinavian Expressions from @Mad Hatter and also a bit about sharks from Ghostlet last night as he was explaining to me what he read in his science book

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): I did some sprinting this morning, sprinting for 100m and then walking 100m.  I got in 8 sprints, which means total distance was close to 1 mile

Bronze (MFP): Everything recorded so far...

Copper (Cooking): I was trying to make some Rosemary Chicken for lunch, but I discovered that the chicken in the freezer was actually duck, so I ended up with a new recipe: "Rosemary Duck".  I also made some coleslaw and honey glazed carrots to go with it, but neither of those are new.  The carrots were not nearly as good as last time.

Spoiler

xx3D3ZW.jpg

Zinc (Ukulele): I only got in about 5 minutes, just enough time to go through the song I was working on last week a couple of times  

Brass (Stretching):  I did a about 30 minutes last night, mostly focused on my hips and then another 15 minutes this morning, focusing on my hips and shoulders

Atium (Wim Hof): I did a cold shower but no breathing.  The water felt a lot colder than usual this morning so I was surprised that once I got my breathing under control it didn't take too long to get used to it.  I still need to remember to bring a thermometer next time so I can measure the water temperature.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Copper (Cooking): I was trying to make some Rosemary Chicken for lunch, but I discovered that the chicken in the freezer was actually duck, so I ended up with a new recipe: "Rosemary Duck".  I also made some coleslaw and honey glazed carrots to go with it, but neither of those are new.  The carrots were not nearly as good as last time.

Reveal hidden contents

xx3D3ZW.jpg

Can I have some pleaaaase? :wub:

(Hi, nice to meet you, great challenge :D )

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Arkania said:

Can I have some pleaaaase? :wub:

(Hi, nice to meet you, great challenge :D )

Sorry, but that disappeared in a blink :) 

Welcome, nice to meet you too!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cn3wton said:

Interesting challenge theme. Will try to keep checking in.

Currently reading through at work so can't get too deep into it.

Hey, I was actually just thinking about you the other day.  I was remembering how much fun it was back when we were doing Nerdhammer and Pathfinder Journeys and was wondering if we would ever see you around.  Really glad to see you back :) 

• Like 2

Today's Allomancy Report:

Steel (pushing): Nothing scheduled for this

Iron (Pulling):  Nothing scheduled for this 

Tin (Learning): I read a bit about Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish new year and Feast of the Trumpets and learned about the history and significance of the day.

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): LEG DAY!!!!  I did all of the exercises in post two as planned, and it pretty much wiped me out, as expected.  I feel like I am making good progress on my pistol squats and shrimps, but I still get stuck in the hole if I go down to deep, because I just can't get myself up from the very bottom without a little bit of a boost.  it is getting better though.  I also invented a new exercise - I fold myself over the top of a pullup bar with my legs on one side and my torso on the other and then raise myself up into a superman position, balancing on just my hips.  I suspect this may be another trapeze conditioning move, but I was surprised to discover that it works my abs way more than my back.  Not sure why.  After the workout I did the Thenics pistol squat progression workout, which normally would have been easy for me, but by this point my legs were so tired it was pretty tough.  I was so tired when I finished everything that I could barely stand up, so I skipped running today.

Bronze (MFP): Everything recorded

Copper (Cooking): I made a steak again today and paired it with some lemon garlic broccoli.  It was quite tasty.

Zinc (Ukulele): I spent about 20 minutes practicing, but it was all polishing the one I was doing last week.  I have picked a new song (the old Soviet folk song Katyusha), but haven't looked up the tutorial yet  

Brass (Stretching):  I did a little bit of stretching last night, and then another 20 minutes or so this morning after my workout.

Atium (Wim Hof): Again just the cold shower but no breathing.  I tried to check the temperature of the water but I can't find my cooking thermometer.  I tried with some regular ones, but the mercury ones don't register any reading below 33c and the digital ones we have don't seem to start measuring until around that temperature too :( 

Also, as a follow up for those that had been following my previous challenge, I talked with Ghostlet's football coach today about the NFL league tam and we came up with a plan for him to be able to stay on the team, but he will need to skip his last hour one time.  I need to check, but I think it should be doable (that hour is self study anyway).

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I also invented a new exercise - I fold myself over the top of a pullup bar with my legs on one side and my torso on the other and then raise myself up into a superman position, balancing on just my hips.  I suspect this may be another trapeze conditioning move, but I was surprised to discover that it works my abs way more than my back.  Not sure why. 

Like this?

9d210fae0dd9df58c5364b10a8ffca21.jpg

If yes, it's called front balance. It depends on how you balance it, how high your torso and legs are (more back + glutes engaged). Superman does work the abs, it's possibly not as challenging on the floor, so you don't feel it the same way I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, annyshay said:

Great news for Ghostlet and strong work on the challenge!

Yes, we were both quite excited

1 hour ago, @mu said:

Like this?

9d210fae0dd9df58c5364b10a8ffca21.jpg

If yes, it's called front balance. It depends on how you balance it, how high your torso and legs are (more back + glutes engaged). Superman does work the abs, it's possibly not as challenging on the floor, so you don't feel it the same way I think.

Yes, just like that but instead of being a static hold I would relax and drape down on the bar and then tighten back up into the balance pose for each "rep"

5 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yes, just like that but instead of being a static hold I would relax and drape down on the bar and then tighten back up into the balance pose for each "rep"

Complete with the sequined zebra-print leotard? :D

• Haha 6