• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost Practices Allomancy

38 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yes, just like that but instead of being a static hold I would relax and drape down on the bar and then tighten back up into the balance pose for each "rep"

Yes that's usually how it is done (the way I've learned it at least) and it's more abs than back, unless you really arch at the top.

35 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Haha, I wanted to but my zebra leotard is was in the laundry.  Net time for sure :D 

Damn, I'm jealous, I don't have a zebra leotard :D

• Like 2

17 hours ago, @mu said:

Yes that's usually how it is done (the way I've learned it at least) and it's more abs than back, unless you really arch at the top.

OK, that makes sense.  I was trying to really arch it at the top, but it is really hard to keep balance that way so I don't think I ever broke the plane going the other way.

13 hours ago, zenLara said:

What a zero week you're doing!

Yes, it had been quite intense.  I feel like I am so much busier than when I was working full time :D 

I went to the calistheics park today, but I went with a different purpose than usual.  Usually I go there with a specific workout in mind, and I go with my sunglasses on and headphones in, to send the message that I am there to work out and not to chat.  Today, I left the sunglasses and headphones at home, because I wanted to chat.  Specifically, I was looking for someone to teach me.  I bought a set of wrist supports that, when worn, will keep you from coming off the bar, even if your grip runs out.  These are pretty popular with the people that workout at the calisthenics park, and many of them will use them to spin around the bar like a gymnast

Image result for mens gymnastics bar spin gif

Like this but without all the flippy stuff. Or letting go of the bar at all, even

However, when I got there there was nobody doing any of that so I decided to try it on my own and see how I did.  It looked simple enough.  The reality was much different.  I could get high enough that I reached parallel with the ground, but couldn't ever get any higher.  After a few attempts, I just decided to go through all of my Thenics progressions.  Thenics is a app that I am using that has guided progressions workout for 7 calisthenics moves: Muscle up, Planche, Front Lever, Back Lever, Pistol Squat, Handstand Pushup, and V-Sit.  As I was going through my progressions, more and more people started coming and after a while the regular crew showed up.  For those who were following a few challenges ago, these are the guys I was having a show-off contest with :D 

I decided to keep doing my progressions workouts, but I did strike up conversations with the regular guys and it was kind of nice.  They are all very interesting folk, but all quite a bit older than me, the oldest of whom is 77.  There was one guy who looked to be about 60-ish, but when he took off his shirt he was ripped like Chris Heria

Image result for Chris heria

No tattoos on that guy, though

He seriously looked like one of those photoshopped ads that sell miracle drugs that show old men faces photoshoppped onto ripped 20 year old isntagram models (Does anyone else here get those, or are they specifically being marketed to me???).  I was quite surprised to discover that the primary topic on conversation was each other's bodies.  It seemed like everyone had some kind of comment about everyone else's physique, pointing out places where they thought looked good but also places they thought need work.  Apparently the consensus is that I have huge, amazing shoulders, but I also have a little bit too much flab around my midsection, especially on the sides.  Apparently it is culturally acceptable here for that to be the primary topic of conversation, which makes the times that my FIL comments on my belly a bit more understandable. 

At one point duin my workout, I got to the Pistol Squat progressions which happened to include lunges.   After I had done the lunges, the seriously ripped guy came over and we had a very surreal conversation:

SRG: Lunges huh?

WG: uh, yep...

SRG: Nobody does lunges here

WG: Excuse me?

SRG: Nobody does lunges here.  I come here pretty much every day and have never seen anyone do lunges

WG: Uh...

SRG: I want to do lunges

WG: Huh?

SRG: Yeah, I always want to do lunges because they are a great exercise but I always feel too self conscious because no one here ever does them, or even anything like them.  Its all pullups, dips, or pushups;

WG: ... [Stunned silence]

SRG: So, uh, thanks for doing those, I'm glad you came and did them today.

It was really weird, these guys do all kinds of crazy stuff, but he was right.  All of them only do the same kinds of exercises.  

The strangest thing of the whole workout was when I was working on my handstand pushups.  The 3rd of 4 exercises for that was a headstand, using the forearms on each side of the head for support.  These are really easy for me, and I can stay perfectly still in that position for more than a minute.  I was about halfway through and I opened my eyes and noticed that a huge crowd had gathered around me and were taking pictures and videos.  They had never seen anything like that.  Later when I was doing wall handstands (4th of 4) the SRG came over and said he thinks handstands are really cool, but he doesn't dare even try it.  I showed him a few simple progressions for getting into and out of wall handstands and he was really eager to give them a try.  It was really fun to see these guys trying new stuff which was scary for them.  Next time, I am going to have them repay me by showing me how to do that bar spinny thing :)  

Today's Allomancy Report:

Steel (pushing): I did a bunch of pushups and dips as part of my Thenics progressions, particularly HSPU and planche

Iron (Pulling):  Lots of pulling for some of the other progressions like muscle up and front & back levers

Tin (Learning): Nothing yet

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): I didn't run, but I spent 4 hours at the calisthenics park so I definitely got a lot in here.  The pistol squat and v-sit progressions also count toward this

Bronze (MFP): Everything recorded so far

Copper (Cooking): I made some granola bars for Ghostlet's breakfast because he was out, and will make a batch of something soon for dinner, probably beef stroganoff or something similar

Zinc (Ukulele): Nothing on this yet today  

Brass (Stretching):  I did about 15minutes of stretching after my workout, mostly just to work through tight muscles rather than my usual stuff

Atium (Wim Hof): I did some breathing retentions today, but my longest was only 1:26.  I find it hard to relax while holding my breath because I am afraid I will accidentally start breathing again if I am too relaxed.  That tension, however, is probably not helpful for increasing retention time... 

• Like 8

What an interesting morning! 

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

SRG: Lunges huh?

WG: uh, yep...

SRG: Nobody does lunges here

WG: Excuse me?

SRG: Nobody does lunges here.  I come here pretty much every day and have never seen anyone do lunges

WG: Uh...

SRG: I want to do lunges

WG: Huh?

SRG: Yeah, I always want to do lunges because they are a great exercise but I always feel too self conscious because no one here ever does them, or even anything like them.  Its all pullups, dips, or pushups;

WG: ... [Stunned silence]

SRG: So, uh, thanks for doing those, I'm glad you came and did them today.

It was really weird, these guys do all kinds of crazy stuff, but he was right.  All of them only do the same kinds of exercises.  

o_O Peer pressure, huh?

It is nice that you did that for him, not the lunges, I mean, well those too, but helping him with handstands. They're superscary to me, so I understand how the guy feels about them. I'm sure your progression tips helped him.

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

photoshopped ads that sell miracle drugs that show old men faces photoshoppped onto ripped 20 year old isntagram models (Does anyone else here get those, or are they specifically being marketed to me???)

I've never seen anything like that :D Personalised adds? lol

• Like 1

BAD. ASS. 

Its awesome to hear about your exploits man, its awesome to hear your crushing it!

I think its cool that they are so open about speaking to each other about their bodies. As long as they seem genuine about it. When you think about it it makes a lot of sense. That is what they are striving for, and constantly looking to improve. If not why would they even bother going (other than to show off). 

I have run into this at my gym. The insanely fit people will joke about missing a muscle up because they drank too much beer recently and have a bit of flab, while in the same breath encouraging a severely overweight person for doing a push up or similar exercise!

I think it all depends on whats behind the words. If its not judgmental then im all for it. At that level thats what you look for.

• Like 2

Huh those guys sound more like teenage body builders than old guys, both for their body image concerns and their self consciousness! But it’s cool that you have a skillshare thing going on, it’s very neat. 

Muggles never know what to get impressed by. :P In aerial people go wild from simple splits and in hand balancing nobody appreciates the difficulty of a simple one arm handstand. It is what it is. I’d get super weirded out if people started taking pics of me training though!!!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

The 3rd of 4 exercises for that was a headstand, using the forearms on each side of the head for support.  These are really easy for me, and I can stay perfectly still in that position for more than a minute.  I was about halfway through and I opened my eyes and noticed that a huge crowd had gathered around me and were taking pictures and videos.  They had never seen anything like that.  Later when I was doing wall handstands (4th of 4) the SRG came over and said he thinks handstands are really cool, but he doesn't dare even try it. 

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Muggles never know what to get impressed by. :P In aerial people go wild from simple splits and in hand balancing nobody appreciates the difficulty of a simple one arm handstand. It is what it is. I’d get super weirded out if people started taking pics of me training though!!!

Echoing what @Mad Hatter said.. it's weird what people get impressed by, but always neat to see different people doing different things. I'm the only one doing handstand and ring progressions at the gym and get comments like "I could never do that!", but then I see people doing like one-arm pullups and just... /blown away. The more you do, the more you realize everyone's on a different track. Very cool to see the support and friendliness of the people in your area though, glad you have that community to play with. 

No photoshopped ads for me, sounds like it might be targeted. Definitely a goal to be that old and bas@ss though. 

• Like 2

On 9/14/2018 at 6:04 PM, zenLara said:

o_O Peer pressure, huh?

It is nice that you did that for him, not the lunges, I mean, well those too, but helping him with handstands. They're superscary to me, so I understand how the guy feels about them. I'm sure your progression tips helped him.

Yeah, peer pressure is weird.  I always thought that once the teenage years were over it would kind of go away, but in some ways it never really does.  I will make sure to do more unconventional workouts in the park when I can so I can be someone's "Lungespiration" :D 

23 hours ago, cn3wton said:

BAD. ASS. 

Its awesome to hear about your exploits man, its awesome to hear your crushing it!

I think its cool that they are so open about speaking to each other about their bodies. As long as they seem genuine about it. When you think about it it makes a lot of sense. That is what they are striving for, and constantly looking to improve. If not why would they even bother going (other than to show off). 

I have run into this at my gym. The insanely fit people will joke about missing a muscle up because they drank too much beer recently and have a bit of flab, while in the same breath encouraging a severely overweight person for doing a push up or similar exercise!

I think it all depends on whats behind the words. If its not judgmental then im all for it. At that level thats what you look for.

Thanks, it really good to see you back around.  I think the biggest difference here is that it is just such a cultural norm that people tend not to think about it much.  It just ins't a conversational taboo, even among the general non-fitness population.  It is a bit different for the younger generations who have had a lot of exposure to other cultures, but among the older generations, discussing other people's bodies was no different that discussing the weather - just another topic of conversation.  I think I found it so jarring this time was because everyone there was really old and that's just their culture.

23 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Huh those guys sound more like teenage body builders than old guys, both for their body image concerns and their self consciousness! But it’s cool that you have a skillshare thing going on, it’s very neat.

I didn't get that vibe, they didn't seem to have any image concerns at all, just an objective view on how they looked and were very open about discussing it.  The self consciousness was more about doing things outside of the norm than anything to do with their body shape

23 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

haha, yes, I have discovered this to be very true.  Even for me I am often more impressed by flashy moves than the careful precision movements, even though they are often much more difficult. 

As for the pictures, it isn't really something that weirds me out any more, but it used to.  It doesn't usually happen much in Beijing, but when I get out into the countryside I often run into people who have never seen a non-Chinese person in their life, so I often get people taking pictures of me.  I remember one time I was walking in a park and an entire busload of tourists from Western China all got off and wanted to take a picture with me.  Every single one of them (not a group picture).  I felt oddly like some kind of celebrity :D 

20 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Echoing what @Mad Hatter said.. it's weird what people get impressed by, but always neat to see different people doing different things. I'm the only one doing handstand and ring progressions at the gym and get comments like "I could never do that!", but then I see people doing like one-arm pullups and just... /blown away. The more you do, the more you realize everyone's on a different track. Very cool to see the support and friendliness of the people in your area though, glad you have that community to play with. 

I totally get this, I am also often blown away when I see things that others are doing and I wonder if I will ever get to that kind of ability level.  Because of this it feels strange to me when skills that I take for granted become those same things for someone else

16 hours ago, raptron said:

LUNGESPIRATION! Hahah. I love it. 

Haha, I am totally stealing this term :D 

15 hours ago, Grumble said:

Yusss! Mistborn!

What an epic application of the the story to the challenge. 

Thanks! I am loving both the story and my challenge so far :) 

13 hours ago, Teancum said:

Lol that was quite an experience at the park! I'm impressed by any sort of head or hand stand. But I don't think I'd take a picture though haha

Yes, but it was a good experience.  I will try to have more of them.  

4 hours ago, Ensi said:

Your park workouts are the best! :D I hope you can get help with the bar spinny thing next time :)

Tahnks, it was certainly a lot of fun.  I will try the spinny thing again, but it is going to take a bit of courage to really get it.

On 9/14/2018 at 6:04 PM, zenLara said:

I've never seen anything like that :D Personalised adds? lol

20 hours ago, Manarelle said:

No photoshopped ads for me, sounds like it might be targeted. Definitely a goal to be that old and bas@ss though. 

I kind of figured as much.  Ads are so personalized these days it is really scary.  I will get ads all the time with text specifically directed at me, such as ("men over 40 are using this drug to burn away belly fat INSTANTLY" or "If you live in Beijing you need to know this secret to cut your insurance premiums IN HALF").  I expect it is only going to get worse.

Today was a fun day, but not much challengewise.  We spent the morning at the Chinese National Museum, had a late lunch at a mushroom hot pot place, had a long leisurely stroll home and now just veging on the couch.

Steel (pushing): Nothing scheduled

Iron (Pulling):  Nothing scheduled

Tin (Learning): I learned quite a bit at the museum.  They had a number of new exhibits, but the most interesting one was a display of all of the gifts that have have been presented to China from foreign heads of state and other world leaders.  Very interesting to see the kinds of things that world leaders give each other as gifts.  There was another interesting exhibit that was pure propaganda.  It was called "The road to Rejuvenation" and was a story of China's history and accomplishments from the Opium wars and the overthrow of the Qin Dynasty and the creation of the Republic, then the civil war, the Japanese occupation, and then the resumption of the civil war leading to the communist Revolution.  It them skipped ahead a number of years to the 80s when China opened up to the outside world and started the journey to become a world power.  There was a lot about becoming a nuclear power and space exploration but not a peep about the cultural revolution of the great leap forward.  To be honest I wasn't really surprised.

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): I didn't run, but we did walk home from the restaurant which was about 5km.

Bronze (MFP): I didn't even try :D 

Copper (Cooking): No cooking at all

Zinc (Ukulele): Nothing for this either  

Brass (Stretching):  Again a big nope

Atium (Wim Hof): Still nothing

• Like 5

OOH so much has happened. Interesting talk at the park. Will do my best to check in as much as possible.
Also that book series sounds very interesting and.....in my "to read" list. 

Following!!

17 hours ago, Grandkai_NL said:

OOH so much has happened. Interesting talk at the park. Will do my best to check in as much as possible.
Also that book series sounds very interesting and.....in my "to read" list. 

Following!!

The books are really interesting.  I was really impressed with them and would recommend them highly :) 

Today was a rest day so I didn't do a whole lot.  Church in the morning and then took Ghostlet to football practice in the afternoon.  For dinner I rode my bike over to our favorite curry place because we are outside of the delivery range and then stopped off and picked up some ice cream on the way back.  Now watching some Chinese TV program with the family about some famous Chinese actors who are in Thailand for 2 weeks and have to operate a Chinese restaurant there.

Steel (pushing): Nothing scheduled.  I did a few handstands, headstands and crow poses while Ghostlet was doing his football practice, but not much

Tin (Learning): Nothing except a little Chinese history about 秦始皇 (Emperor Qin) who was the first emperor after the unification of China

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): Short bike jaunt out to the curry place & back, maybe 10km total or so. 

Bronze (MFP): Nothing 

Copper (Cooking): Nothing

Zinc (Ukulele): Nothing 

Brass (Stretching):  Nothing

Atium (Wim Hof): Nothing

• Like 4

Lets do a wrap up for the week

0 Week Summary

Steel (pushing): I got in a full push workout plus the mixed workout.  Exceeds Expectations

Iron (Pulling):  I got in one pull specific workout plus a mixed workout on Friday.  Exceeds Expectations

Tin (Learning): I did a little bit to meet the letter of the law while completely getting around the spirit of it.  Needs Improvement

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): I got in a leg workout, a couple of runs, a long walk, a short bike ride.  Exceeds Expectations

Bronze (MFP): 5 days recorded in MFP, target was 7.  Needs Improvement

Copper (Cooking): I cooked something most days this week, and got in the minimum new dish (Rosemary Duck).  Satisfactory

Zinc (Ukulele): I got in a bitof practice most days, but still didn't ever get started on the new song for this week.  Needs Improvement

Brass (Stretching):  I got in a stretching up until the weekend, but I let it slip the last couple of days.  Even though it slipped, I did at least a couple of minutes every day. Satisfactory

Atium (Wim Hof): I did a few cold showers but only one day of retentions. Needs Improvement

Overall not a bad week, some parts went better than expected but some parts were still lacking.  Overall score for the week: Satisfactory

• Like 3

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Today was a rest day so I didn't do a whole lot.  Church in the morning and then took Ghostlet to football practice in the afternoon. 

I've been hearing that going to Church in China lately has been interesting. I hope everything is ok for your group.

13 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Now watching some Chinese TV program with the family about some famous Chinese actors who are in Thailand for 2 weeks and have to operate a Chinese restaurant there

Lol sounds intense. Also every time I read about your ukulele goal it makes me want to get back to mine... But other things must take priority :(

18 hours ago, Terah said:

Following! 

Welcome!

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I've been hearing that going to Church in China lately has been interesting. I hope everything is ok for your group.

Interesting is a good description.  For now everything is stable for us.  I put some more details in the spoiler for anyone interested

Spoiler

China defines "Freedom of Religion" differently than the US.  In China, everyone has freedom of religious belief, but all religious activities must comply with relevant laws and regulations.  That means that the practice of religion is a regulated activity.  There are generally 2 schools of thought among Christians in China with regard to times when there is conflict between how the religion is normally practiced and what is allowed by law (primarily this relates to proselyting).  On one hand you have groups that  hold that God's law supersedes any worldly laws so they are willing to act in violation of the law to follow their conscience and God's law to "preach the word to every nation".  On the other hand you have groups which hold that while it is important to follow God's commandments, it needs to be done withing the conventions of the law.  The rationale is that God will hold the governments accountable for anything that a person should do but cannot because the law forbids it.  Furthermore, this group believes that more good can be achieved by operating within the legal framework and therefore the sacrifices that are made to bring activity in line with legal requirements outweighs the risk of angering the government and getting shut down or imprisoned.  The thinking behind both groups have merit, but the congregation I affiliate with holds to the latter. 

This second group is divided into two sub-groups.  The first is willing to completely submit to Chinese law and governance, and in exchange they are granted official recognition, the second group operates in a grey area of non-recognition but still within the legal framework.  The key benefit of official recognition is that the congregations can be mixed between foreign nationals and Chinese nationals.  The downside is the lack of control over much of the church's operations.  In order to obtain full recognition, a group must accept that the Chinese Communist Party has veto authority on who is appointed as clergy and what material is preached from the pulpit, and also given the right to full access to all financial records of the church both within and without China.  As far as I know there are only two officially recognized religious groups in China: The Chinese Catholic Church (which is not affiliated with the Roman Catholic or Eastern Orthodox Churches) and a large nondenominational Protestant organization.

My congregation is part of the first group, and we do not have official recognition.  Because of this, we cannot allow Chinese nationals to attend our meetings unless they are married to a foreign passport holder.  We also are not allowed to distribute any religious materials to Chinese nationals or discuss any aspect of our faith with them (even if they ask questions).  We self-police and enforce these rules fairly ...  religiously... for which we are generally left alone by the local authorities to worship as we wish.  When I first came here, we would occasionally have members of the Religious Affairs Bureau attend our meetings to ensure we were in compliance but they have not been coming for the last few years.  I believe this is because we have established a good track record of civil obedience.

5 hours ago, Teancum said:

Lol sounds intense. Also every time I read about your ukulele goal it makes me want to get back to mine... But other things must take priority :(

Yep, totally understand.  I purchased a used violin and guitar from some folks who were relocating back to the US with the intention of getting back into that (I played violin for 6 years as a child).  It just hasn't been enough of a priority so they are sitting in storage

Today I am back into the thick of things and went back to the big park for today's workout.  Last Friday I managed to get a few blisters under my callouses which were still a bit painful today, so I decided to do push day today, and more pull day to Wednesday.

In additional to my regular workout, I also did some more learning exchange with the guys at the park.  At one point I was doing supported handstand pushups and one of the guys came over and gave it a try.  He either didn't have any core strength or lacked sufficient shoulder strength because when he came down he bent completely backward into sort of a very elevated pushup position (his legs were still vertical but his torso was horizontal).  It was nice to see him at least give it a go.  Later, one of the older guys taught me how to do Korean dips and I taught him how to do front balances.  He could do one, but apparently the pressure on his hips was too painful so he decided he didn't want to do any more.  I tried to do some move where you hang upside down from the bar with your legs behind it and then pull yourself up so that you end up in front of it in a Korean dip position.  I couldn't get it, but will keep working on it next time.

Steel (pushing): I did a full pull workout getting in at least 5 reps of everything except cat pushups (only got 4) and handstand shoulder taps (only got 4).  After the workout I did my Thenics workouts for handstand pushup, planche and pistol squat

Tin (Learning): Nothing yet

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): I did the pistol squat Thenics progression and also 2 laps around the park (total of 4.6km) 

Bronze (MFP): Everything recorded so far. 

Copper (Cooking): 

I made a new recipe today: Beef Stroganoff based on this recipe.  It was very tasty.

Spoiler

bKyYEA2.jpg

There was plenty of leftovers if you want to come over @Arkania

Zinc (Ukulele): I did about 10 minutes or so reviewing the song from 2 weeks ago.  Still need to look up the turotial for this week's song

Brass (Stretching):  about 20 minutes of good stretching after my workout.  I am not sure, but it kind of feels like I might be making some progress here

Atium (Wim Hof): cold shower this morning, but no breathing retentions

• Like 9