• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost Practices Allomancy

23 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Tin (Learning): I got in a full push workout plus the mixed workout.  Exceeds Expectations

Something's wrong here?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Arkania said:

Already on the plane!

It will be on the table when you get here :) 

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Very interesting reading about the church, thanks.

1 hour ago, @mu said:

Seconded, very interesting. Pretty tight... What about religious signs/dress?

1 hour ago, annyshay said:

Fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

I am glad it was interesting.  As for religious dress/signs, there isn't really anything individually (at least not for Christians) such as wearing crosses or religious themed clothes.  In fact, I was really shocked once when getting off of a local flight to discover the background music was English Christian rock.  That has only happened once, though...  

For Muslims I know it is a bit more complicated.  The Hijab is generally not a problem, but full face coverings such the burka are not allowed.  

The rules are different for places of worship.  Unless the church is an officially recognized religion, it is forbidden to have any kind of identifier indicating it as such.  This is a big reason why there are so many churches that are in the news for having their crosses torn down.  For our congregation, we rent a floor in an office building and the contract and rental payments are arranged through a front corporation.  The front corporation is registered with the police as being affiliated with a religious organization, but otherwise there is no way to know it isn't just a regular company.  There are no signs of any kind on the door so the only way to find us is by looking us up online or knowing someone who attends

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I hope you continue to be left alone.

Thanks, we hope so too

54 minutes ago, zenLara said:

Something's wrong here?

No need for the question mark.  Something is definitely wrong :D (I will go back and correct that)

• Like 6

17 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

We self-police and enforce these rules fairly ...  religiously...

Ba-dum tss!

That was very interesting to hear, especially the constraints on "officially recognized" religions. It's a bit different between Hong Kong and the mainland right? 

20 hours ago, Arkania said:

Just read "I will be on the table"

giphy.gif

Image result for oh my

8 hours ago, Teancum said:

That was very interesting to hear, especially the constraints on "officially recognized" religions. It's a bit different between Hong Kong and the mainland right? 

Yes, these rules only apply to Mainland China

I did not do do much today.  I went to the dentist this morning for another root canal and my dentist was shocked to discover I am a freak of nature.  Instead of the normal 3 roots in my tooth I have 6.  She was so surprised she called in all of the other dentists (and dental assistants) to come have a gander, because she said they would probably never have a chance to see anything like this again.  She even got out a huge camera and took a bunch of pictures.  Maybe I will end up in some medical journal...  In the afternoon I just went to the park to read a book.

Allomancy Report:

Steel (pushing): Nothing scheduled. 

Iron (Pulling):  I was going to do this but I went to the dentist instead.  I can't do it tomorrow either because I have an important meeting all morning.  

Tin (Learning): I learned that teeth usually have 1-3 roots, and that on rare occasions they may have as many as 4.  Checking online I discovered that there was another reported case of a 6 root molar back 2010 but apparently they are super rare

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): Not much, just a walk to the park and back 

Bronze (MFP): Everything recorded 

Copper (Cooking): Nothing

Zinc (Ukulele): Nothing 

Brass (Stretching):  Nothing

Atium (Wim Hof): Nothing.  We got a notification tonight that the cold water main has sprung a leak so that will be under repair pretty much all day tomorrow.  The hot water main has been under repair for more than a month now, so that means we will have no running water all day tomorrow. :( 

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I went to the dentist this morning for another root canal and my dentist was shocked to discover I am a freak of nature.  Instead of the normal 3 roots in my tooth I have 6.  She was so surprised she called in all of the other dentists (and dental assistants) to come have a gander, because she said they would probably never have a chance to see anything like this again.  She even got out a huge camera and took a bunch of pictures.  Maybe I will end up in some medical journal...  In the afternoon I just went to the park to read a book.

So... What's your X-Men name? The Root Devil? Root Tooth? Root Tooth.

noot-noot-24445848.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

We got a notification tonight that the cold water main has sprung a leak so that will be under repair pretty much all day tomorrow.  The hot water main has been under repair for more than a month now, so that means we will have no running water all day tomorrow. :( 

Shiiiiiiit. I hope it's only one day.

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

went to the dentist this morning for another root canal and my dentist was shocked to discover I am a freak of nature.  Instead of the normal 3 roots in my tooth I have 6.  She was so surprised she called in all of the other dentists (and dental assistants) to come have a gander, because she said they would probably never have a chance to see anything like this again.  She even got out a huge camera and took a bunch of pictures.  Maybe I will end up in some medical journal... 

o_O  And the dentist had to work on the 6th of them? How much time have you been in there? :(

But yes, definitely you go to the med journal... and definitely you need a mutant name.

2 hours ago, zenLara said:

... and definitely you need a mutant name.

maxresdefault.jpg

Aaaaand here's a meditation instruction video on Youtube:

• Like 1

That's an interesting mutation :D

How is your shoulder going otherwise? It seems back to normal?

On 9/17/2018 at 4:21 PM, WhiteGhost said:

For Muslims I know it is a bit more complicated. 

When I was doing an intensive course in Persian, I had a classmate who was a Chinese Muslim. I can't remember if she was Uighur or from another minority but I remember the teacher making a point about the level of harassment if not some sort of persecution that they were going through. She did not comment that much and I didn't really ask questions at the time because my communication level was really not subtle enough for this  topic :huh: She was a beast in calligraphy though :D 

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I did not do do much today.  I went to the dentist this morning for another root canal and my dentist was shocked to discover I am a freak of nature.  Instead of the normal 3 roots in my tooth I have 6.  She was so surprised she called in all of the other dentists (and dental assistants) to come have a gander, because she said they would probably never have a chance to see anything like this again.  She even got out a huge camera and took a bunch of pictures.  Maybe I will end up in some medical journal...  In the afternoon I just went to the park to read a book.

anigif_original-grid-image-25630-1400714

• Haha 2

On 9/18/2018 at 8:16 PM, Ensi said:

So... What's your X-Men name? The Root Devil? Root Tooth? Root Tooth.

On 9/18/2018 at 9:55 PM, zenLara said:

and definitely you need a mutant name.

I have always been partial to Sabretooth (My Chinese Zodiac animal is Tiger, and Sabretooth tigers are the best kind of tiger)

On 9/18/2018 at 8:16 PM, Ensi said:

noot-noot-24445848.png

On 9/18/2018 at 9:14 PM, Arkania said:

Noot noooooooot!!! :wub: (Omg I love Pingu!)

On 9/18/2018 at 9:20 PM, Mad Hatter said:

PINGU!!!! <3

On 9/19/2018 at 12:23 AM, Ensi said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Aaaaand here's a meditation instruction video on Youtube:

Or maybe SabreNoot...   I had never heard of this before so apparently I have some researching to do :D   I'm guessing this is a Europe thing?

On 9/18/2018 at 9:55 PM, zenLara said:

Shiiiiiiit. I hope it's only one day.

o_O  And the dentist had to work on the 6th of them? How much time have you been in there? :(

But yes, definitely you go to the med journal... and definitely you need a mutant name.

Yes, luckily it was only one day.  On the other hand, they were supposed to finish the hot water pipes this week but they apparently found ANOTHER leak (third time now) so they have extended until the end of the month.  If anyone hasn't gone out an purchased an external water heater by now will probably die of cold exposure before they finish.

Yes, the dentist had to try and do all six of them, but couldn't finish in one session. The details are in the spoiler because I think this may gross some people out.

Spoiler

I was in the chair for 3 hours this time, but another part of the problem is that not only do have way too many roots, they are super long.  Normally the dental tools for doing root canals are between 15-25mm long.  For my teeth, the 25mm ones were still not long enough so she had to special order some longer ones.  I will need to wait until mid October when she gets the new tools to finish the process.  She expects it will be at least another 3 hours just to finish cleaning out the roots

On 9/19/2018 at 12:39 AM, @mu said:

That's an interesting mutation :D

How is your shoulder going otherwise? It seems back to normal?

When I was doing an intensive course in Persian, I had a classmate who was a Chinese Muslim. I can't remember if she was Uighur or from another minority but I remember the teacher making a point about the level of harassment if not some sort of persecution that they were going through. She did not comment that much and I didn't really ask questions at the time because my communication level was really not subtle enough for this  topic :huh: She was a beast in calligraphy though :D 

My shoulder is still a bit painful if I lay on it wrong, but for the most part it is doing much better.

Yes, Chinese Muslims by far have it the worst here with regards to religious persecution.  There is a big issue right now here because in Xinjiang (the predominantly Muslim province bordering Afghanistan) they have stepped up the reeducation camps, where Muslim men (mostly) are taken and essentially forced to renounce their religion.  The official line is that the people put in these camps are extremists and are being helped so they can better assimilate into a harmonious society.  The other side claims that they are picking anyone they happen to believe may have any kind of sympathies toward anyone who opposes the government in any way (or just happen to be devout followers of their religion) and are being tortured until they publicly renounce Islam.  I personally think the latter claim is probably much closer to the truth.

On 9/19/2018 at 2:35 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

anigif_original-grid-image-25630-1400714

Right, why didn't I think of that... :D 

Yesterday was a long and busy day, but very little of that had to do with the challenge.  In the morning I had a meeting and then afterwards Mi Vieja snuck out of work and we went to check out a new shopping mall.  In the afternoon I had a dinner with a guy for a freelance project I am working on and he pretty much offered me a job.  It would be a pay cut from my old job, but would definitely be a step up from being unemployed.  I am not sure if it is something I really want to do, but is certainly worth exploring more.  Today I had free time in the morning so I went back to the park for a pull workout.  There was a guy there who was amazing, he was doing super sow muscleups and 360 swings and all kinds of cool tricks.  I got a some tips from him for working on my own stuff and I will probably try them out later this week (I was already too tired by that time to try today).

Yesterdays Allomancy Report:

Iron (Pulling):  Nothing Scheduled 

Tin (Learning): Just some basic research about Chinese food imports

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): Did a lot of walking with Mi Vieja at the mall.  We got in more than 10k steps there 

Atium (Wim Hof): Nothing.  

Today's Allomancy Report

Iron (Pulling):  Did my full workout at the park, and followed it up with the Thenics Muscleup, Front Lever and Back Lever progressions workouts.  I have now reached level 2 for back levers  

Tin (Learning): Nothing yet

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): Ran to the park and back, but didn't do any laps there 

Bronze (MFP): Everything recorded so far

Copper (Cooking): Nothing.  Still having leftover beef stroganoff but will make some steaks for dinner tonight

Zinc (Ukulele): Did some practicing today, and even got out the tutorials for this week's song, but Mi Vieja asked me to stop because she was preparing for a presentation she has to give tomorrow

Brass (Stretching):  20 minutes done after my workout

Atium (Wim Hof): Cold shower again, but no breathing retentions

• Like 10

Congratulations! Firstly, on all those tooth roots (although I am sad to hear you went from six to zero :( ) and secondly because you're beginning your Pingu journey. Welcome to Nootville. Population: You. 

Image result for pingu gif

• Like 1

7 hours ago, deftona said:

(although I am sad to hear you went from six to zero

Hi there!  Don't worry, I still have all six, they are just hollow now (or will be once the root canals are finished)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I'm guessing this is a Europe thing?

And Canada! At the risk of being run out of town by the mob though, I never liked it :rolleyes:

That root canal business is pretty crazy. I had no idea they were that long! 

21 hours ago, Teancum said:

That root canal business is pretty crazy. I had no idea they were that long! 

They aren't usually.  I'm just a freak mutant

And Canada! At the risk of being run out of town by the mob though, I never liked it :rolleyes:

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

You have no soul. :P 

Time for me to find out if I soul or not :D 

Yesterday was a pretty good day.  I started out with a leg workout and then went over to the park for some fun.  I didn't have anything specific I was working on, so I spent time doing whatever looked fun.  This included things like some spinning drills on the parallel bars (kind of like the animal flow movement drills but on the parallel bars - hard to describe but really cool.  I will try to get a video next time), handstands, bar pullovers, and 360 swings.  For the 360 swings at first I was only able to swing myself until I was parallel with the ground, but by the end of the time there I was getting almost vertical.  I think it won't be long before I can get the full 360 spin :) 

Steel (pushing): Nothing Scheduled 

Tin (Learning): I did my Spanish Duolingo and learned a a few new vocabulary words

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): Leg workout, and then went to the park for some fun activities

Copper (Cooking): No new cooking, but ate more leftovers

Zinc (Ukulele): I got in about 20  minutes of practicing, but didn't work on anything new 

Brass (Stretching):  Maybe 10-15 minutes or so following my workout

• Like 4

Today I did a bunch of nothing.  Today is the first day of the 3 day Mid-Atumn Festival holiday, so a bunch of nothing is about par for the course :)   I expect the next 2 days are going to be much of the same.

Tin (Learning): We went to the Temple of Heaven this afternoon and I learned about the Winter Solstice worship rituals of the Ming Dynasty emperors

Image result for Beijing Temple of Heaven

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): I thought about doing the Thenics workouts for V-sit and Pistol squat, neither of which have been done yet this week.  Instead I did nothing.  

Bronze (MFP): I did not record in MFP.  I'm sure I was way over, though.

Copper (Cooking): I not only didn't burn any copper today, but I probably burned Aluminum (a metal that cancels out all the other metals).  I had McDonald's for breakfast, Dominos for lunch and then mushroom hotpot for dinner.  Dinner was delicious, but the rest I didn't even enjoy  :( 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Well jell of this, it's on my list! 

Yay for doing nothing days, I hope you're enjoying that more than you are the food :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

We went to the Temple of Heaven this afternoon and I learned about the Winter Solstice worship rituals of the Ming Dynasty emperors

Beautiful!! Enjoy the down time! 

Well, I like Sabertooth for you. Sounds cool, and realistic :D

And I have no idea who this Noot is, so if this is a European thing, either I'm too old for it, or it wasn't broadcasted here (reinforcing a popular spanish thought that Europe actually ends at the Pyrenees...)

• Like 2

Beautiful!! Enjoy the down time! 

Thanks, I am enjoying it :) 

8 hours ago, zenLara said:

Well, I like Sabertooth for you. Sounds cool, and realistic :D

And I have no idea who this Noot is, so if this is a European thing, either I'm too old for it, or it wasn't broadcasted here (reinforcing a popular spanish thought that Europe actually ends at the Pyrenees...)

OK then, Sabertooth it is :) .  I watched a few episodes of Pingu (noot) and I can see how it would be entertaining for kids, and if Ghostlet were younger I would probably show it to him. It didn't really grab my interest, though, so I suppose that means I have no soul either :D 

Yesterday we spent the whole day in Tianjin, which a port city just to the east of Beijing.  While there, we did all of the touristy things like the river cruise and visited some of the attractions.  It was interesting that one of the biggest draws of the city is the architecture, most of which was built during the occupation period.  You can criticize how the European powers were unfair in how they seized control of major Chinese port cities, but you can't deny they did a really good job of building up the infrastructure and built some pretty nice buildings.   For being foreign invaders, they sure theft the place a lot nicer than they found it.

In addition to the European sectors, we also visited the China House, which is a building completely covered in china (porcelain dinnerware, not the country).  It reminded me a bit of the Gaudi architecture I saw when I was in Barcelona

kdEuri1.jpg

Xc4GkX9.jpg

RyGO64N.jpg

7C1rc11.jpg

We decided not to ride the giant Ferris Wheel, because the line was more then 3 hours

Q6PDm7o.jpg

Yesterday's Allomancy Report:

Tin (Learning): I learned about the development of Tianjin during the Opium Wars period

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): Lots of walking around Tianjin, but nothing else

Bronze (MFP): I tried to record what I ate in MFP, but it was so hard trying to find something in the database that approximated what I was eating that I just gave up 

Today is the Mid-Autimn Festival, and it has been a really slow day again.  I originally intended to wake up early and do a pull workout, but ended up sleeping until after 9 so I didn't have time.  We had lunch with Mi Vieja's relatives and this afternoon we will probably go the park as a family.  I don't expect much to happen in terms of my challenge but I will do a report anyway later tonight or tomorrow.

• Like 7

Given that this is a holiday weekend, I didn't even realize that the regular week had finished up so I should probably do a week summary as well

Week 1 Summary

Steel (pushing): I got in a full push workout.  Satisfactory

Iron (Pulling):  I got in one pull specific workout plus a bunch of other pulling related playing.  Exceeds Expectations

Tin (Learning): Only 3 days were active learning, the rest was just stuff that I picked up over the course of the day.  Needs Improvement

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): I got in two sessions that count towards this.  Exceeds Expectations

Bronze (MFP): 5 days recorded in MFP, but I at least made an effort on the other 2 days.  When I eat out it can be hard to find equivalents in the MFP database.  Satisfactory

Copper (Cooking): I had some leftover and cooked twice, but no new recipes.  Needs Improvment

Zinc (Ukulele): I still haven't really started on the song I was supposed to be doing last week.  Needs Improvement

Brass (Stretching):  Only 3 days of stretching this week, which is not nearly enough. Needs Improvement

Atium (Wim Hof): I did only 2 days of cold showers and no retentions. Needs Improvement

Not a great week, but I had a lot going on between the dentist and the holiday.  Overall score for the week: Needs Improvement

• Like 4