• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost Practices Allomancy

Today's Allomancy Report:

Steel (pushing): Nothing Scheduled 

Iron (Pulling):  I planned to do this but slept in instead 

Tin (Learning): Spanish Duolingo again and learned a a few more new vocabulary words

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): I had some time in the afternoon after Ghostlet finished his homework so I planned to come down to the yard and do a leg workout.  Ghostlet asked me to play soccer with him instead, so of course I did that.  In the evening I went through a few of the Thenics progressions and leveled up to level 2 for Planche, Pistol Squat, Handstand Pushup, and V-Sit.  I was really very happy with my wall handstand holds - I was barely even touching the wall for most of it, and for the first time I felt like my biggest limiting factor was strength rather than balance. :) 

Bronze (MFP): I was doing well until lunch.  Chinese banquet style meals are pretty much impossible to record in MFP so I gave up.  Pretty sure I am well under for the day, though

Copper (Cooking): Nothing

Zinc (Ukulele): Nothing 

Brass (Stretching):  A few minutes between exercises but not enough to count

Atium (Wim Hof): Nothing  

• Like 5

Sounds like a busy week/ holiday. Personal two cents: don't discount "stuff I learned throughout the day." You could have been sitting on your duff in front of the tv, learning nothing, but instead chose to educate yourself and expand your horizons. And grats on the 5k post. :) 

19 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Sounds like a busy week/ holiday. Personal two cents: don't discount "stuff I learned throughout the day." You could have been sitting on your duff in front of the tv, learning nothing, but instead chose to educate yourself and expand your horizons. And grats on the 5k post. :) 

Yep, things were pretty busy, and I expect this week will be fairly busy as well.  For the learning stuff, I don't normally sit around watching TV but if I did I could just as easily claim I learned something that I saw on TV.  The point of this was to try and get me proactively learning new things, but apparently it isn't really a high priority for me :D 

Today was a good day.  I spent the morning at the park doing a nice long workout and then spent the afternoon taking care of work stuff.  I really enjoyed my workout, especially the socializing with other folks there.  I am really starting to build up a bit of camaraderie with them and today was particularly fun because we sent most of the time with one person doing a move and then everyone else giving it a try too.

Iron (Pulling):  Nice long workout at the park.  I got through my whole pull workout and then also the Thenics workouts for muscle up and back levers.  I leveled up again on back levers so I am now level 3. 

Tin (Learning): Spanish Duolingo while I was doing my stretching

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): I went for a short run around the park (2.25km) between my pull workout and the other exercises. 

Bronze (MFP): Everything recorded so far

Copper (Cooking): No new cooking but I had some more leftovers from last week

Brass (Stretching):  A good stretching session after my workout

• Like 4

18 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I spent the morning at the park doing a nice long workout and then spent the afternoon taking care of work stuff.  I really enjoyed my workout, especially the socializing with other folks there.  I am really starting to build up a bit of camaraderie with them and today was particularly fun because we sent most of the time with one person doing a move and then everyone else giving it a try too.

Sweeeet! And congrats on the 5K post :D You seem to be Revolutionary now - there's some bug in my account that causes me to be a Rookie forever... Then again, it keeps me humble... ish...

18 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

The point of this was to try and get me proactively learning new things, but apparently it isn't really a high priority for me :D 

Do you take recommendations? How about learning about biological immortality today? ;)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ensi said:

there's some bug in my account that causes me to be a Rookie forever

A few people had this issue and I know a couple of them had it corrected by bringing it to the attention of their Guild Leader.  Apparently it is a glitch that occurred when they switched over from the old system.

5 hours ago, Ensi said:

Do you take recommendations? How about learning about biological immortality today? ;)

Yes I do, in fact, and that was a very interesting subject.  Thank you for the recommendation :) 

Today was a good day and I think I hit most of my categories.  Today was leg day and I did my leg circuit in the yard, and then because I still had time I went to the park and did it again.  There are not many people that do leg work at the park, so I certainly got a lot of looks and few comments, most of them quite complimentary.  The one that stands out to me was from Super Buff Guy.  He was watching me do tabletops (lifting my hips from a crab position into a table position) and afterwards he said "hmmm, your gut is still too big" and proceeded to tell me that he had a few suggestions that could help.  I was getting ready to nod politely while I ignored him but he mentioned that he was quite fat (more than 100kgs) two years ago and I figured that if he could go from that to being super cut in two years his advice was probably not all garbage.  I was not disappointed, and was actually pleased to hear that his suggestions were things that I had also discovered and have recently been putting into practice :) 

The coach was there today and was teaching people how to do kipping muscle ups and 3 of guys he was teaching got their first kipping muscle ups today.  I didn't try his technique because I was resting my upper body, but am planning to try it out tomorrow.

Iron (Pulling):  Nothing Scheduled 

Tin (Learning): Spanish Duolingo as usual and the cell immortality stuff Ensi linked.  I even followed some of the links there for more information :) 

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): Leg day x2 so by the time I was finished my legs were complete toast, especially my hamstrings.  I think today was the first time ever to hit muscle failure in my hammies, so I was pretty happy  with my workout.  

Zinc (Ukulele): I got in a good practice session, not only learning the new song for the (last) week and reviewing the one from before that.  I also spent some time on chord progressions

Brass (Stretching):  10 minutes or so following my workout

Atium (Wim Hof): Cold shower but no breathing.  I was not planning to do the cold shower, but my hot water ran out halfway through and it actually was kind of pleasant so I went with it :)   

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

afterwards he said "hmmm, your gut is still too big" and proceeded to tell me that he had a few suggestions that could help.  I was getting ready to nod politely while I ignored him but he mentioned that he was quite fat (more than 100kgs) two years ago and I figured that if he could go from that to being super cut in two years his advice was probably not all garbage.  I was not disappointed, and was actually pleased to hear that his suggestions were things that I had also discovered and have recently been putting into practice :) 

I'm glad you're taking it the right away, but man I would not be happy about comments about my body OR about the assumption that I want to/need to change it OR the unsolicited advice. Geez.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm glad you're taking it the right away, but man I would not be happy about comments about my body OR about the assumption that I want to/need to change it OR the unsolicited advice. Geez.

I don't really like the comments either, but I have accepted that it is always going to part of living in China.  I am not normally open to unsolicited advice but in this case I made an exception :) 

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

I was not disappointed, and was actually pleased to hear that his suggestions were things that I had also discovered and have recently been putting into practice :) 

What for instance? (curious)

Sounds like you got yourself a posse :D it's great!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, @mu said:

What for instance? (curious)

Pretty simple stuff, like keeping my core braced as much as possible during the day, maintaining proper posture and breathing from the diaphragm (especially with the core braced).  These aren't the kids of things that most people think of when trying to lose a few pounds, but having been experimenting with these the last little while, I think there is definitely something to it.  Of course the big things like regular exercise and proper diet are going to be more important, but I believe the little things like this make more of a difference than I would have expected.

16 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Pretty simple stuff, like keeping my core braced as much as possible during the day

Umm sure, if you want a hernia... I’m sure it increases NEAT but it will also increase pressure on the abdomen and I’m really not convinced that weight loss >> health.

Seriously, just eat a bit less or move a bit more.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Umm sure, if you want a hernia... I

Haha, I didn't mean "bracing the core" like holding a hollow body position, more like just standing up straight and sucking in my gut a little bit :D

And yeah, the benefits are marginal

Standing up straight is probably a good thing, but sucking in the gut is really not very healthy and puts undue pressure on the organs. Not recommended. 

Any weight loss benefit is AT BEST extremely marginal.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Standing up straight is probably a good thing, but sucking in the gut is really not very healthy and puts undue pressure on the organs. Not recommended. 

I've been doing that 24/7 ever since I was a teen. Desperate attempt to "hide" the belly a bit. It's become such a habit that I had to remind myself to "let it hang" when I took my "Before" pictures last week. It's no longer a conscious action.

16 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Any weight loss benefit is AT BEST extremely marginal.

What really sucks is trying to convey ideas in writing that could be expressed much more easily and without confusion with a few gestures.   :( 

What you would have known if you saw the hand motions I was making when I wrote that was that I meant getting the gut into its right place by rolling the hips back from an anterior tilt to a neutral position, the back straight, and then stabilizing the obliques so that the shoulders don't go all floppy when walking.  Trying to hold the gut in by pulling in on the abdominals is silly because you can't breathe from the diaphragm, which I thought would have been understood when I talked about breathing above but apparently it didn't come through.   You should have been watching for the hand gestures...

This is why I don't do technical writing :(   

14 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

I've been doing that 24/7 ever since I was a teen. Desperate attempt to "hide" the belly a bit. It's become such a habit that I had to remind myself to "let it hang" when I took my "Before" pictures last week. It's no longer a conscious action.

I didn't realize this was something people did until Hatter commented.  I had to look it up to understand what she was talking about :D Constantly trying to suck your gut in (and shifting all of your organs out of the way to make room for it) does not sound like a healthy way to live. I don't think you need to "let it hang“ necessarily (for me that fully relaxed state results in to anterior pelvic tilt), but you do want to keep your abdominals relaxed

Oh, and welcome :) 

Today was very interesting.  I got to the park early and did my push workout, and then had an hour or so to just play.  About this time, a news crew shows up and is doing a piece on calisthenics parks and they interviewed all of the folks there.  They asked a bunch of questions about why I go to the park rather than a gym and my thoughts on the fitness industry in general.  They then had us all show off some of our fancy moves.  I did a jump muscle-up to a front balance on the pullup bar, and then some 359 degree swings (I couldn't quite get that last bit to make it a full circle, but I was essentially going from almost vertical bar handstand to almost vertical on the other side).  On the parallel bars I did some L-sit to shoulder presses and then on the situp bench I did some dragon flags.  The news guys were like "You must have some seriously strong abs, let's see your six-pack" :(  I have nothing close to a six-pack so they were all very disappointed :D 

When I got home I was felt really, really sleepy, so took a nap and then got up and took care of some work stuff in the afternoon.

Steel (pushing): I went through my regular push routine, but didn't do any of the Thenics progressions 

Tin (Learning): Some Spanish Duolingo and then some research into gut sucking.  I was surprised to see all of the various thoughts about this subject 

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): Did a bunch of playing around at the park.  I tried the kip muscle up stuff the coach was showing yesterday, but I just can't seem to get any extra momentum from the kips.  There must be a trick to it that is eluding me  

Copper (Cooking): Nothing, but I did finish off my leftovers

Zinc (Ukulele): Didn't spend a lot of time on the uke today, but I did go through both of the songs I have been working on a couple of times

Brass (Stretching):  Nothing (yet)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

This is why I don't do technical writing :(   

:lol::lol::lol:

2 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

The news guys were like "You must have some seriously strong abs, let's see your six-pack" :(  I have nothing close to a six-pack so they were all very disappointed :D 

People need to let go of the notion that healthy/strong == lean!

3 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

359 degree swings (I couldn't quite get that last bit to make it a full circle, but I was essentially going from almost vertical bar handstand to almost vertical on the other side). 

COOL! :o 

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

some 359 degree swings (I couldn't quite get that last bit to make it a full circle, but I was essentially going from almost vertical bar handstand to almost vertical on the other side)

Neat! how is it on the hands? I imagine it's a lot of friction without those grips gymnasts wear.

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

The news guys were like "You must have some seriously strong abs, let's see your six-pack" :(  I have nothing close to a six-pack so they were all very disappointed :D 

You sure they won't write an article on The Onion...? "Local Man Has No Visible Six-Pack Abs, Still Inexplicably Strong"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

People need to let go of the notion that healthy/strong == lean!

For realz

12 hours ago, @mu said:

Neat! how is it on the hands? I imagine it's a lot of friction without those grips gymnasts wear.

I have some special gear that I bought just for this activity.  I have some regular cheap cotton gloves which provide zero grip which also reduces all friction.  Then I have some wrist straps that hold me onto the bar, so that I don't have to worry about losing my grip on the bar.   This stuff is apparently common here, as most of the guys there also have this same stuff.  

11 hours ago, Ensi said:

You sure they won't write an article on The Onion...? "Local Man Has No Visible Six-Pack Abs, Still Inexplicably Strong"

Haha :D   They were certainly baffled by it.  

Today was a whole bunch of nothing.  I spent the entire morning at the clinic doing my annual health check up.  They are, for the most part, a waste of time.  The blood tests and sonograms can probably help identify possible problems, but the rest of it is complete garbage.  After I got back I made myself some food that was probably healthy but was hardly delicious (5 eggs, a can of tunafish, a shredded potato and a quarter of onion, fried together with a few spices.  I think if I had made it with bacon instead of tuna it would have been a lot better.  Technically it counts as a new recipe for this week, but I didn't enjoy it at all.  At least it was edible.  I chased it down with a pint of mint chocolate ice cream that was delicious, but certainly less healthy.

This afternoon was just some housework and a nap.  

Tin (Learning): Nothing yet 

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): Nothing  

Copper (Cooking): Cooked up the tuna & egg thingy

Brass (Stretching):  Nothing 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

if I had made it with bacon instead of tuna it would have been a lot better.

I struggle with coming up with a situation where this wasn't true. :P 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Today was a whole bunch of nothing.  I spent the entire morning at the clinic doing my annual health check up.  They are, for the most part, a waste of time.  The blood tests and sonograms can probably help identify possible problems, but the rest of it is complete garbage.  After I got back I made myself some food that was probably healthy but was hardly delicious (5 eggs, a can of tunafish, a shredded potato and a quarter of onion, fried together with a few spices.  I think if I had made it with bacon instead of tuna it would have been a lot better.  Technically it counts as a new recipe for this week, but I didn't enjoy it at all.  At least it was edible.  I chased it down with a pint of mint chocolate ice cream that was delicious, but certainly less healthy.

They can't all be home runs. Remember how often Babe Ruth struck out.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 9:07 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

They can't all be home runs. Remember how often Babe Ruth struck out.

I actually didn't know.  All that came to mind was a poem about him striking out, but after looking it up I discovered it was actually mighty Casey, and not Babe Ruth, about whom the poem was written.  

I haven't been able to get much exercise in the last couple of days, Saturday morning I had a meeting for work, after which I took Ghostlet to football practice where I did a Thenics handstand pushup progression workout and a pistol squat progression.  This morning was church again and then helping Ghostlet with his homework in the afternoon.  I did not eat responsibly yesterday, having pieces of chocolate dipped in peanut butter for lunch and then pizza for dinner.  Because the universe makes no sense, my abs this morning had more definition than usual and I looked quite lean.  Sometimes I feel like this whole nutrition thing is arbitrary...

I have been feeling really good about my handstands recently.  I find that my challenges to stay up have changed from balance to shoulder endurance and wrist/finger strength.  I am still inconsistent in kicking up into it, but once I am there I feel quite steady and am able to stay up until my shoulders give out, rather than just tipping over.

On Friday night, I tried cooking Chinese food for the first time (this recipe).  I didn't have all of the ingredients I needed so I had to get creative.  In the end it turned out OK (Mi Vieja ate all of hers) but I want to try again after I get all of the ingredients I need.

Yesterday's Allomancy Report:

Tin (Learning): Ghostlet had to write a paper about a natural wonder and choose as his topic geysers (we just visited Yellowstone over the summer).  He asked me to help him with some research so I helped him figure out why geysers have all of the different colors and also why they erupt.  It was kind of fun to learn about it all, and I learned a bunch of new Chinese words in the process

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): I had planned to go to the park but had a work meeting get scheduled so I spent the morning doing that instead.  In the afternoon I did a couple of Thenics workouts (pistol squat / handstand pushup)  

Bronze (MFP): I know it was mostly crap so I didn't want to bother recording it.  I'm going to pretend the food part of Saturday didn't happen :D 

Copper (Cooking): Cooked up the Chongqing baked fish, and I was pleased with the results, given how many of the ingredients I had to substitute out

Tin (Learning): The recycling guy came over Saturday night to pick up our plastics and cardboard but the amount we have been getting for them has been dropping significantly this year.  We asked him why and he told us that it is because there is oversupply in the market due to all of the foreign imports of trash.  I was not aware of this so I did some research into it.  Apparently China used to be the biggest importer of trash (especially plastics) but from Jan 2018 has halted all imports of foreign trash.  Apparently the recycling process here was very terrible for the environment and was generating loads of air pollution.  I don't know how that impacts the prices, but I was reminded of @deftona's no plastics quest earlier and decided that there is probably more I can do in this regard.  While China will continue to recycle domestically, most other countries do not have the capacity to recycle all of their trash so most of the stuff western companies (especially the US) throw into their recycling bins will still ultimately just end up in landfills.

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): Nothing  

Bronze (MFP): I was planning to but MFP just is not practical for Chinese family style dining.  I couldn't find anything in the databases to approximate what I ate

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Apparently China used to be the biggest importer of trash (especially plastics) but from Jan 2018 has halted all imports of foreign trash.  Apparently the recycling process here was very terrible for the environment and was generating loads of air pollution.  I don't know how that impacts the prices, but I was reminded of @deftona's no plastics quest earlier and decided that there is probably more I can do in this regard.  While China will continue to recycle domestically, most other countries do not have the capacity to recycle all of their trash so most of the stuff western companies (especially the US) throw into their recycling bins will still ultimately just end up in landfills.

All of this is the entire reason I started my "less waste" quest. I think it was January our exports of recycling to China were halted which is why companies here have been making big (mostly empty) promises this year about reducing plastics but I looked into it properly, and around 97% of all recyclable materials don't actually get recycled, even when they are properly sorted and deposited in the appropriate schemes. This is why I have tried to move away from plastic as much as possible. It's really really hard though. Changes need to be made on an industrial scale before any major leaps are going to be made, but I think we can all do a little better on a personal level. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deftona said:

It's really really hard though.

It really is.  When you laid out your quest at the beginning of the year, I read through it and thought to myself that your quest was impossible.  I still haven't changed my assessment, but I have started gain an understanding of why it is important to at least make more of an effort

• Like 2