No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost Practices Allomancy

On 10/10/2018 at 6:38 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Cool, looks like good progressions!

Yeah, they seem to be pretty well organized

On 10/10/2018 at 9:38 PM, raptron said:

Yeah, that's a great list!

Sounds like you guys had a very history-filled trip. 

Yes, I think I have filled up my learning quota for this challenge :) 

On 10/11/2018 at 3:33 AM, deftona said:

Maybe this can be my calling. 

(I'd have to learn it first though)

Pretty sure it revolves around the horrible waste of tea

On 10/11/2018 at 5:48 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

All you really have to do is roll your eyes at everything and say "Colonists" in an exasperated tone.

Haha, I guess the equivalent here would be the same, changing 'Colonists' for 'Communists'

8 hours ago, @mu said:

Sounds like you are having a great holiday!

And nice list of progressions too. Although part of me thinks the rep count and hold times are unnecessarily high - if they are meant to say that you can't work on the higher progressions if you haven't reached those. (If that's not what they mean, ignore the following)

GMB had a recent newsletter about reps thresholds and how they don't really make sense individually. And as a woman I would agree, especially for push stuff, some reps thresholds I read about might work well for men ON AVERAGE (not even for all men) but I found that my body doesn't respond well at all to that sort of scale.

In Overcoming Gravity, Steven Low also says he counts a hold as competent from 6s onward.  Of course holding longer has value and milestones can be build on that, but in my opinion having to hold 30s before moving up is a bit much.

Thanks, it was a very nice holiday.

I agree in part with what you say about the thresholds.  If I could hold a final move for 6 seconds I would be satisfied, but these are progressions along the way.  In order to do the full version for six seconds, it makes sense that one should be able to do an easier progression for longer.  This is a free app that I am using so it is not going to fit everyone's progress, but so far I have found it works pretty well for me.  In the end, though, it is just a tool which will be used to help me progress towards my goal, not a rule that I have to stick to.  I will stick to it while it works for me and if it gets to a point where it doesn't I will adjust accordingly.   

For the planche, the progression I worked yesterday had a 45 second hold for frog/crow pose which I thought was way longer than needed, but as I stayed in the position for so long, I realized the benefit - it wasn't just about strength but also (maybe moreso) about conditioning the wrists to get comfortable in that position under weight.  

Yesterday was a pretty good day but I ate terribly.  I did a pull workout in the morning and then a stretching session.  In the afternoon I did some work stuff and then read a bunch more from the Wheel of Time.  In the evening, Mi Vieja asked me out for a date so we went to go watch a movie.  Traffic was so bad we didn't have time for dinner so dinner ended up being a medium popcorn.  I had a bowl of ice cream before bed so all in all it was a pretty poor day nutritionally.   I should probably continue with my Allomancy reports...

Allomancy Report:

Steel (pushing): Nothing scheduled. 

Iron (Pulling):  I did my full pull workout but no Thenics progressions.    

Tin (Learning): I don't think I learned anything new yesterday, but I have already met my goal on this for the challenge

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): Nothing 

Bronze (MFP): I need to reset my password before I can log in, so nothing here.  It would have been terrible, I'm sure 

Copper (Cooking): Nothing

Zinc (Ukulele): Nothing 

Brass (Stretching):  I did get in some good stretching

Atium (Wim Hof): Nothing.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

For the planche, the progression I worked yesterday had a 45 second hold for frog/crow pose which I thought was way longer than needed, but as I stayed in the position for so long, I realized the benefit - it wasn't just about strength but also (maybe moreso) about conditioning the wrists to get comfortable in that position under weight.  

Conditioning is great, but it's important that conditioning and strength are separated in a program. I really like GMB's approach where you're encouraged to experiment with harder progressions but drop down if you can't complete the reps cleanly. As opposed to say GymnasticBodies with their super militant approach of no progression at all until you can do stupid number of reps with perfect form. Which might work well for elite gymnast boys, but man is it boring and discouraging for adults that just want to play and get strong.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

As opposed to say GymnasticBodies with their super militant approach of no progression at all until you can do stupid number of reps with perfect form. Which might work well for elite gymnast boys, but man is it boring and discouraging for adults that just want to play and get strong.

Oh, I completely agree.  I really grate against really strict protocols, especially when I don't see the point.  For this, though, it is just a supplement to my regular workouts, which have most of the later progressions anyway, which I have already tailored to my program.  The Thenics program is just something I am doing on the side because it seems to be helpful.  If it gets to be something that feels like a collar holding me back from doing what I like, I will drop it faster than six bricks :D 

Well, it seems I have again missed a couple of days and now the challenge is over

Friday was nice, I started it out with a leg workout and then ended up walking all of the neighborhood taking care of things that needed to be done.  I could have taken the car, but for places withing a few kms I prefer to walk (or bike or skateboard).  The result was that my legs were completely dead for the weekend.  No other workouts happened over the weekend, which was quite busy.  Saturday morning I helped a friend move into a new apartment and then in the afternoon Ghostlet has his first soccer match of the season.  They won 2-0.

Sunday morning was church and then in the afternoon Ghostlet had another soccer match (lost 0-6, but it was against the number 1 team in the league, which is also a feeder school for the #1 professional team and also the National Team.  We didn't feel too bad about losing to them).  After that we raced across town to his NFL sponsored football game, which they won handily (30-12) with Ghostlet scoring 3 touchdowns.

• Like 4

Challenge wrap up and summary

I was pretty happy with this challenge, although I did much better in some areas than others.  I realized that some things that I want to do are just not high enough priority so if there is a time conflict I choose to not do it.  The things that are higher priority tend to get done.

Steel (pushing): I got in at least one workout 3 of 5 weeks, but missed the last 2. Satisfactory 

Iron (Pulling):  At least one workout every week except week 3 when I was out of town.  Sometime I even got in multiple workouts.  Exceeds Expectations    

Tin (Learning): I was doing ok for the first part of the challenge and then spent almost an entire week learning new stuff while on holiday.  Exceeds Expectations

Pewter (Other Strength & Endurance): I got in leg workouts and Thenics progressions every week except week 3, often multiple times per week.  Exceeds Expecations 

Bronze (MFP): I did really well the first 3 weeks but then completely fell off the wagon for the last 2.  Satisfactory 

Copper (Cooking): I did not do nearly as much cooking as I wanted, but I also did not eat a bunch of crap except for during week 4.  In the beginning I made too much and ended up eating lots of leftovers.  Completely within the spirit of the objective. Satisfactory

Zinc (Ukulele): This was was a bit of a disappointment.  It started out well, but by the end it became clear that this just isn't a high priority for me.  Needs Improvement

Brass (Stretching):  I did more stretching this challenge than I did the previous 2 combined, which was my primary objective.  I still don't do it as much as I should, but I'll take it. Satisfactory

Atium (Wim Hof): This was kind of fun to try and I did more cold showers than I expected I would (although many of those forced on me), but I just didn't do the breathing.  I think it is probably beneficial to do it, but it just feels so uncomfortable and takes so long doing the heavy breathing part that I can't really enjoy the retention part.  I do enjoy the not breathing part, though.  Needs Improvement

Overall Assessment for the challenge: Satisfactory   That is a passing grade :) 

• Like 3

Your scoring is giving me a bit of PTSD from my performance reviews.

Nice job on your challenge. As always.
nNthiEJ.gif?noredirect

(It took me forever to find a gif I could use on my phone so everyone I’d getting this one for a while.)

Woot! To ghostlet. He sounds like quite the athlete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Your scoring is giving me a bit of PTSD from my performance reviews.

I thought they might mean something more for you as they were based on the grading system used when I was in elementary school

10 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Woot! To ghostlet. He sounds like quite the athlete.

Thanks!  He certainly is :) 

New challenge is up