• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elementary as in, you know, fundamental stuff, but not exactly the effortless type. And with hopefully a more balanced programme as I want to keep up with the Mini's leg work!

Summary for the quick reader:

Tools: body weight, parallettes, aerial silks, ball

Epic quest: complete GMB Parallettes 2 (P2)

GMB Parallettes 2 recap:

Prep phase: 4 weeks + deload week /done

Phase 1 cycle 1: 3 weeks + deload week /done

Phase 1 cycle 2: 3 weeks + deload week /done

Phase 1 cycle 3: 3 weeks + deload week /done

Phase 2 cycle 1: 4 weeks + deload week /on-going

This challenge will look like this:

NF break week = P2 Phase 2 Cycle 1 [holiday]

Week 1 = Deload [holiday]

Week 2 + 3 + 4 = P2 Phase 2 Cycle 2

I'm currently on holiday, I'm not going to bother much with strict goals and evaluation. My only requirement is to complete my current P2 cycle.

The MASTER PLAN will start again on Week 2 when we get back home. I will follow the same structure I have been using for months. I have been very consistent with it so far, so I thought I could be a bit more lenient about tracking everything here (unless things start going wrong for whatever reason). I will simplify the reporting and highlight items that I find a bit more challenging / I'd like to do.

Parallettes - Earth

GMB Parallettes 2 – 3x/week

Ensure HS training is happening at least 3x/week (P2 has HS training but I will add some more). I will have 2 consistency training sessions and 1 endurance session with other drills (e.g. alignment, shapes, transitions etc).

Epic quest - I will fully report on it!

Pull & Silks - Wind

Greasing the groove – hanging raises  – 6x/week

Aerial conditioning/alignment – 3x/week

Aerial skills and flow – 2x/week

Since I will be coming back from a big break without aerial training, I will first gradually get back to my usual load without too much hurt hopefully. Nothing more required.

Stretch & Bend - Water

Stretching – 2x/week

Hall of shame entry if I don't stretch after a strength session

Post-workout stretching - 3x/week include at least one bridge and straddle stretches.

Cirque Physio & Legs - Fire

Keeping the impulse started by the Assassin Summer Mini!

At least 32 drills per week:

> Roll a selection of drills from Cirque Physio programmes - at least 24 drills

> Include traditional leg work - at least 4 drills (Cirque Physio will include some leg work already)

> Include foot flex ball work – at least 4 drills

I can spread those throughout the week during warm-up / cool down and the evening for soft tissue / nerve work. I want to keep it flexible.

I have prepared a weekly progress card!

card-review-tpl.thumb.png.d8d566ff0ecf513c29c93795448daefd.png

• Like 3

:D Linux nerd goes on holidays and spend her time on Gimp... I could probably make the tracker dynamic instead of bloating my NF account with pictures but I can't be harassed :lol:

This morning I did a bit of stretching (hips), tackled a few new Cirque Physio drills from her splits programme (adductor and gluteus medius releases + pancake nerve gliding + prone passé).

This afternoon I did some P2 again because on Thursday we will be on our way to Paris and I will no longer have my parallettes. Hence the 4-week cycle + deload week coming up exactly next week. I will still have mini P2 workouts to complete during deload and I will have to do them on my HANDS  :hypnotysed::hopelessness::abnormal::D

P2 workout

HS warm-up set

Bent arm progression:

> Elevated headstand x5 - 3 fails – I feared for my neck, a yoga block is a bit too unstable for this sort of things...

> Single knee float to 1-leg crow LR 4-6s x2

> HS → bent arm stand (partial) 2/5 3/5 2/5 (sort of – very lenient count) too much fear on those really, I couldn't get myself to go down OVER the elbows. So I bent and flared the elbows while in HS, that's pretty much it. I'm looking forward to go back home for those really - with a mattress/sofa to fall on etc... Grass hurts guys! :lol:

HS to L-sit 2/5(2) 1/6(1) 1/6(1) – a bit more successful but with rather speedy descents...

Bent arm plank push to straddle hold to bent arm press (deep) to plank x5 – I need to work on my straddle again + bent arm press is still very deep but those parallettes are also a bit smaller, it's a bit harder.

V-sit tuck to V-sit hold for reps 3x5 – pffff, feeling the lack of regular leg raises mhm

HS 5x5 – 5+s consistency=12/25 => happy with those!

I did stretch but I forgot about my new plan, the bridge + straddle stretches :ph34r: 

And I was due for a ref video for that workout, here it is below, as it was, a mix of the good, the bad and the ugly...

Spoiler

And with all that holiday food, Hufflepuff badger's started to stock some around the waistline and the hips! Oops (but somewhat expected to be honest).

9.jpg

And my fancy tracker is now looking like this. Loads of legs already done from the Mini (NB: my week starts on Saturday not Monday). The AIR element will stay, well, airy for a while - until I get back to a pull-up bar or my silks. Evaluation will be lenient until we get back home anyway.

current.thumb.png.a46ce43158bdceb85a6042200d95a01b.png

• Like 7

Yesterday I did some Cirque Physio soft tissue prep (pecs, thoracic spine, rhomboids, traps, lats, psoas, quads, TFL, feet). FIRE goal is complete for this week.

Then a back-bending session. Got very sweaty at some point but not so bendy. I could not come back up from back drops to bridge and scorpion was so so. Low bendy days happen but the air is also a little bit colder, under 20 today, and my body is feeling it. I'm also feeling very much my glutes/hips/quads (Mini / Cirque Physio?).

Late afternoon today, last P2 workout for this cycle!

Low frog hold 8s x3

Slow push-ups 10x2

High frog to double arm lever x8

Lever spin x8 => worked start and end transitions, and one hold on a single parallettes (so hard)

Inside knee support tuck planche x2 max=13s

High frog max hold x2 max=30s => I need to lower my hips on those

Single arm lever, two-hands hold, moving non-supporting hand LR x3 => gneeeee :hypnotysed:

Pike PU floor 5x2 + last rep 10s bottom hold x1 => pfffff :sorrow:

Single bar push-ups 5x2 => haaaaa :abnormal:

I had to speed up the end because it was dinner time but I still managed to get a bridge and a straddle stretch.

I was also due a vid for that workout in full, not just the lever bits. Here it is below with again a sample of all things. 

Spoiler

And... in the evening, a short HS endurance session, with a best at 27s and I called it a day!

current.thumb.png.beeb5b0295e56c98a6182c224140f33b.png

• Like 2

This morning a HS consistency session + some playing around in a straddle. There was a lot of wind!

5s+ consistency=11/25

Then I did some stretching including a bridge and straddle stretches - all good.

HS review for this cycle

Consistency=(13+12+13+5+10+10+12+11) over 200 attempts = 43%

Best time range: 17-30s

A big jump from last cycle! Despite the cross-country thing (bailing in a bridge, wind, sand in the face etc..). It seems that 3 sessions a week is working out much better (unsurprisingly) and separating consistency vs endurance is also helping.

Your MU video spam of the day :P

current.thumb.png.dfc4e9c613f3e82ba25e7bce24d0f1af.png

And now that all is done for this cycle here is my updated P2 log.

Spoiler

~ GMB Parallettes 2 Training Log ~

Each cycle is separated by a week deload (shorter & low-medium intensity workouts 5x/week).

## means a core P2 skill. Other items are warm-up completion and/or skill conditioning.

=> means progression to a new variation

NB1: I mostly stuck to P2 progressions except for bent arm press where I started a bit behind in strength (added pike push-ups + 90 degree bent arm holds + crow drills).

NB2: Reps/sets count and hold times follow P2 programming.

NB3: I had other workouts besides P2 (stretching & aerial silks).

P2 Prep Phase – 3x/week – 4 weeks [ 21 April 2018 – 18 May 2018]

Workout (x8)

# Plank lean => elevated => mixing in low frog towards the end

# Push-ups

## Swing

## Tuck to tuck bent arm press (max effort, deeper than 90 degree)

## L-sit holds

# HS 5x5 => cf progress below

Extra HS sessions (x8)

# HS 5x5

HS consistency tracking volume for the cycle: 5x5 x4 x4 = 400 attempts

Consistency 5+s HS week-1 6% => week-4 25%

(number of 5+ seconds HS over 100 attempts max per week)

[Total HS sessions=16]

GMB pull (x4)

# Pull-ups

# L-sit pull-ups from a sling sit

# Inverted pikes from dead hang (straight arms, working towards straight legs)

# Skin the cat drills

P2 Phase 1 - cycle 1 – 3x/week – 3 weeks [ 26 May 2018 – 15 June 2018 ]

Workout A (5x)

# Elevated plank lean hold

## Low frog => High frog

## Straddle hold

## V-sit high tuck-up => V-sit high tuck hold

# Plank holds => Elevated plank lean hold

# L-sit pushes

# HS 5x5
HS consistency tracking volume for the cycle: 5x5 x5=125 attempts

Consistency 5+s HS=(5+8+7+7+7) over 125 = 27% (+2%)

Best time range: 10-13s

[Total HS sessions=5]

Video workout #4: https://youtu.be/aor2So09izo

Workout B (4x)

# Push-up hands closer to waist

## Double arm lever

## Single arm lever, two-hands hold, weight in one elbow => one hand holding forward

## Bent arm press progression

> Declined pike push-ups => increased volume + 10s bottom hold on last reps

> Bent arm presses (deeper than 90 degree => dropped on last workout – replaced by 90 deg holds)

> 1-leg crow progression => focused on single knee float hold + knee jumps

> HS lower down (partials) focusing on balance

# Single arm push-up progression one hand forward, straddle legs

# Wall HSPU negatives, partials and full ROM “controlling the face plant into cushion” thing (dropped on last workout – not very useful – replaced by more pike PU and crow work)

Video workout #3: https://youtu.be/ftp3juOIPqw

Extras

Crow PvP (~15 variations/transitions)

Standing pike push-ups from the floor: just 1 set of 3 reps (“greasing the groove” sort of approach > week-2: +3 sessions, week-3: +6 sessions)

P2 Phase 1 - cycle 2 – 3x/week – 3 weeks [23 June 2018 – 13 July 2018]

Workout A (4x)

## High frog

## Straddle hold focusing on entrance and exit

## V-sit high tuck hold => V-sit tuck to V reps

# Elevated plank lean hold => Supported tuck planche hold

# L-sit pushes

# HS 5x5 (cf below)

Video workout #3: https://youtu.be/RLuBykhFQ24

Extra HS sessions

# HS 5x5 x2

HS consistency tracking volume for the cycle: 5x5 x6=150

Consistency 5+s HS=(10+5+10+9+11+7) over 150 = 34% (+7%)

Best time range: 9-20s

Video: https://youtu.be/aHG4Q-FLtvg

[Total HS sessions=6]

Workout B (5x)

# Push-up hands closer to waist

## Double arm lever

## Single arm lever, two-hands hold, one hand holding forward

> Crow single knee float hold => getting into a low 1-leg crow hold

> Crow knee jumps + crow to low plank

> HS lower down (partials) focusing on balance

> Decline & floor pike push-ups + bottom hold on last rep of each set

# Single arm push-up progression one hand forward, straddle legs

Video workout #4: https://youtu.be/RlgM963vaKo

P2 Phase 1 - cycle 3 – 3x/week – 3 weeks [21 July 2018 – 10 August 2018]

Workout A (4x)

## High frog => High frog max holds + high frog single knee floats + tuck planche with inside knee support

## Straddle hold focusing on entrance and exit

## V-sit tuck to V reps

# Supported tuck planche hold

# L-sit pushes

# HS 5x5 (cf below)

Video workout #3: https://youtu.be/yBiYLi8pfnw

Extra HS sessions

# HS 5x5 x2

HS consistency tracking volume for the cycle: 5x5 x6=150

Consistency 5+s HS=(6+7+7+9+11+10) over 150 = 33% (-1% possibly due to a conflict between consistency and endurance/max time work – separated in the following cycle)

Best time range: 11-20s

# Untracked HS practice x2 (balance, HS to L-sit)

[Total HS sessions=8]

Workout B (5x)

# Push-up hands to waist

## Double arm lever => double arm lever with reverse hyper-extension

## Single arm lever, two-hands hold, one hand holding forward => moving non-supporting hand

> Crow single knee float hold to 1-leg crow

> Jumps to bent arm stand aiming at 90 degree

> HS lower to bent arm stand (partials) focusing on balance

> Decline and floor pike push-ups + bottom hold on last rep of each set

# Single arm push-up one hand forward, straddle legs

Video workout #4: https://youtu.be/XEO_KfeExTE

P2 Phase 2 - cycle 1 – 3x/week – 4 weeks – [18 August 2018 – 14 September 2018]

Workout A (6x)

# HS (warm-up / untracked)

> Elevated headstand

> Single knee float to 1-leg crow LR

> HS lower to bent arm stand (partials)

## HS to L-sit bending legs

# Bent arm plank push to straddle hold to bent arm press (deep)

# V-sit tuck to V reps

# HS 5x5 (cf below)

Workout #6: https://youtu.be/he6hZwyftyQ

Workout B (6x)

# Low frog

# Slow push-up

## High frog to elbow lever

## Elbow lever spin

# High frog + tuck planche with inside knee support

# Single arm lever, two-hands hold, moving non-supporting hand up

# Floor pike push-ups + bottom hold on last rep

# Single bar push-up belly button to bar with under-grip

Workout #1 (elements): https://youtu.be/qao9STvhhQA

Workout #5 (elements): https://youtu.be/J-FVy39PCik

Workout #6: https://youtu.be/wqf4JsoYcQo

Extra HS sessions

# HS 5x5 consistency tracking x2 extra

HS consistency tracking volume for the cycle: 5x5 x8=200

Consistency 5+s HS=(13+12+13+5+10+10+12+11) over 200 = 43% (+10%)

# Other HS practice x4 (endurance, leg movement, wall drills)

Best time range: 17-30s

30s video: https://youtu.be/Dh8p7m3qHio

[Total HS sessions=12]

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Those twisting/spinning elbow levers look really tough

Yes I can't quite place my elbows in their usual supporting position when I turn. Or coming down from high frog/crane. I don't always manage either.

So many tough moves in that video! Impressive. 

Yeah, elbow levers look superhard, and for the turn you need to hold yourself only on one arm, ouf. 

Your handstands are progressing so nicely! It’s crazy how big a difference even small changes in training space can make if you’re not used to it, so well done on keeping your consistency high!

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 3:01 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Your handstands are progressing so nicely! It’s crazy how big a difference even small changes in training space can make if you’re not used to it, so well done on keeping your consistency high!

This, yes.

Oh and I should have practised the cartweel bail but I didn't in the end. A bit of a pity with all the space I had...

On 9/15/2018 at 9:38 PM, Grandkai_NL said:

Looks great, Following!!!

Hello welcome!

So... currently in deload week and just back from a 3-day festival full of debates / concerts / movies. And extremely poor wifi access. No training but a lot of moving about! There was a small bouldering wall that I wanted to try but it was full of 10-year-olds so I didn't go. No that I mind playing with kids as such, but there were a lot of them!

Today I did a P2 deload workout on my HANDS since I don't have access to parallettes.

Low frog hold 8s x3

Slow push-ups 10x2

High frog to double arm lever x8 => it took me a while to figure out of the hand placement to just hold the elbow lever on the floor, I could not manage the full transition without helping myself on the floor though

Inside knee support tuck planche x2

High frog hold x2

Single arm lever, two-hands hold, moving non-supporting hand up LR x3 => hard but very similar to parallettes except for the wrist pain level.

Followed by 6 Cirque Physio drills (pike-hips-glute related), 1 leg drill (pistol squat progression) and 1 foot flexing drill (supine leg extensions).

Then a stretching session focused on hips and I included a bridge and straddle stretches.

I updated my tracker to include P2 deload workouts. I don't think I will reach 5 but as I wrote earlier, I'm not going to challenge myself much during my holidays.

current.thumb.png.59d7426d2ba3a3b0819b6e04ceec329c.png

I did miss my usual movement pattern after 3 days though, today felt very nice.

Serious business will start again next week (this Saturday) :D

I'm completely out of date with everybody's thread! Will try to catch up soon.

• Like 2

Kids are the worst at climbing gyms. They always run around underneath the problems which makes it super dangerous for both the kids and the climbers. But of course if you squish one it’s going to be your fault...

4 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Kids are the worst at climbing gyms. They always run around underneath the problems which makes it super dangerous for both the kids and the climbers. But of course if you squish one it’s going to be your fault...

My thoughts exactly :D

A quick video below of the high frog to elbow lever on the floor, if you're interested in the difference when coming from parallettes. Main issue was height of course although yes the floor was not very nice on the wrists either. The elbow placement problem was a little bit harder too (I rotated my hands out slightly to help).

Spoiler

• Like 1

On 9/17/2018 at 3:11 PM, Mad Hatter said:

A little trickier transition then. ;) Your elbow lever still looks great though!

On 9/17/2018 at 3:40 PM, zenLara said:

Agree!

23 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Wow, that transition looks so much harder without the extra space you get from the parallettes.  You are looking mighty strong there :) 

22 hours ago, raptron said:

For real, so strong.

Thanks! Parallettes power! Some skills do translate well and I'm sure they are faster to learn and progress on with parallettes.

Handstands on the floor however are a bit of another beast. I struggled with everything, my hands position, keeping the core, balancing, kicking, fingers action, legs, all of it.

Today:

P2 deload workout - still on the floor with my hands...

HS warm-up set

Elevated headstand x5 => not very elevated so it was easier to cheat and get the hips above the shoulders and press from there, which is not the goal of the exercise at all but I couldn't elevate that much more.

Single knee float to 1-leg crow LR => manage near my usual on the left but right side kept failing

L-sit hold 3x2 2-5s range each, with my butt a bit more behind my arms

Straddle hold 3x2 2-6s range but a slight support from the forearms

V-sit tuck to V-sit hold for reps 3x2 => big fail, had to fall back on a tuck hold, and moving the tuck upward trying to extend the legs which I could not do without failing

HS – bah it was pretty bad compared to my usual on parallettes. I just don't know how to use my fingers and I kept over-kicking like an elephant at first.  Here is a sample video to be fair and honest on my HS situation.

The kick was alright in that specific one, with the same stuck-in-a-tuck moment that I can get on parallettes. But then I kept trying to balance from the wrists which could be ok I suppose but my finger grip on the floor was way too weak to counter-balance much. And/or... maybe my leg movements were too blunt,  I can catch those on parallettes because of the stronger grip but the floor requires more stillness/subtlety maybe. I did feel slightly more spaghetti-like :D

Spoiler

Cirque Physio pike-related drills (6)

Flexed foot work 1 drill

Sissy squats partials 5x4

Bridge

Straddle stretches

current.thumb.png.3ae45dce76916be25d1e9c170d1e455f.png

• Like 3

I don’t think your handstand looked bad at all. But yes handstands on the floor require a little more subtlety as the tiniest movement in the fingers will translate to big movement upstream. Circus handbalancers say that it’s  “better” to learn on the floor first as it’s easier to transition to canes from the floor rather than the other way round. If you start on canes you risk picking up weird compensations/brute force technique, which is a bit similar to parallettes. Except that parallettes will be even harder to transition from as you balance completely differently through the wrists rather than the fingers. So basically you’re doing great :) 

• Like 2

We are back home! We arrived in the evening yesterday and picked up the cat. She was a bit upset but all of us were happy to sleep in our own bed :D

Temperature has gone done a little (~32C at 8:30pm). I'm very happy to get in the nicer season, summers are just way too hard for me.

The month of Muaharram has also just started which as big as Ramadan for Shiites, but sort of the opposite way: there is free food everywhere :P (well technically Ramadan is also full of food everywhere - as soon as the sun has set :D ). Anyway streets are very lively.

Devaluation has crept up too, 1 euro is now 16 000 Tomans, it's a ~400% increase in about a year time... Imagine you had, say, the equivalent of 20 0000 euros in the bank, now you're left with 5 000... That might also keep streets lively after Muharram....

16 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I don’t think your handstand looked bad at all. But yes handstands on the floor require a little more subtlety as the tiniest movement in the fingers will translate to big movement upstream. Circus handbalancers say that it’s  “better” to learn on the floor first as it’s easier to transition to canes from the floor rather than the other way round. If you start on canes you risk picking up weird compensations/brute force technique, which is a bit similar to parallettes. Except that parallettes will be even harder to transition from as you balance completely differently through the wrists rather than the fingers. So basically you’re doing great :) 

Yes that makes total sense and I have heard the same. I think I will keep at parallettes though because I've tried floor-work (including HS) before and I just wasn't going any where. Or to be exact I felt progress was very very slow and I stopped. I will go for the training that keeps my motivation up. I find it much harder to battle low motivation than bad habits (not an ideal choice but it is the reality of it). Maybe if I attended classes it would be a bit different, I don't know.

• Like 2

Oh I wouldn't change to floor, that doesn't make any sense. Your discipline is parallettes. :) My comment was from a circus handbalancing point of view, which is quite different. A professional handbalancer has to be proficient on both floor and canes, but if they started off on canes it might backfire. But for amateurs, in whatever discipline, it really doesn't matter beyond having good technique for the given situation.

And welcome back home! :D 

1 hour ago, @mu said:

Devaluation has crept up too, 1 euro is now 16 000 Tomans, it's a ~400% increase in about a year time... Imagine you had, say, the equivalent of 20 0000 euros in the bank, now you're left with 5 000... That might also keep streets lively after Muharram....

That's scary...