• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh I wouldn't change to floor, that doesn't make any sense. Your discipline is parallettes. :) My comment was from a circus handbalancing point of view, which is quite different. A professional handbalancer has to be proficient on both floor and canes, but if they started off on canes it might backfire. But for amateurs, in whatever discipline, it really doesn't matter beyond having good technique for the given situation.

Yes exactly! It's good to confront the floor every so often though, no doubt about it.

Cirque Physio x2:

child's pose pike lifts L10R10 x2

block taps L15R15 x2

Lying flex food leg extensions with ball L10R10 x2

Silks hamstring curls 10x4

Leg raises to bar → pike stretch → V hold x3

Side butt raises LR x2

Ouch holiday with no pull I feel you :D

HS 5x5 + alignment drills

It was niiiiice! Home sweet home :P PVC is so much nicer than wood too.

I just played around, testing different hands width, trying to keep my feet together at all times. And stuff like jumping in straddle HS, getting legs together and exiting slowly, the whole thing as cleanly as possible.

And I did some alignment drills on the floor and against the wall.

Bridge +straddle stretches.

• Like 2

Today:

Fire

CQ child's pose pike lift – middle split lift – glute activation

Silks hamstrings curls 10x4

Lying flexed foot leg extensions with ball 10L10R x2

Wind

Leg raise to bar → pike stretch → V hold → leg pull x3

Bar bent knees butt side invert LR x2

=> Not too bad for a holiday return

Alignment drills on silks

Meathook drill LRLR x2 (bottom entry – bent legs/arms) => legs/hips alignment a bit off

Long arm straddles (bent legs) R2 L2 splits silks 2 => lats felt strong! Hips are still a bit off alignment though

Water

Bridge + straddle stretches // did not have to but still did (3x/week already completed)

Fire

CQ child's pose arm lifts LR 10s x4

Soft tissue: thoracic spine – rhomboids – traps – lats – quads – psoas

I'm starting to get used to Cirque Physio but I still need to video-check my form against her videos. It will take some time (so many drills)...

I do feel that I have gained some awareness about glutes and hips, when straddling up I felt the point where my hips would go slightly off alignment, but let's see how that progresses.

This is my tracker for this week. I might have another session tonight but I'm not sure I will have the time yet.

current.thumb.png.c1013a520e45d392c429389ed9e01f24.png

I will still have a wee review.

~ End of holiday review ~

First I rested well! Body feels good - touching wood! Deload week was much more of a deload than I usually do but I think my body was happy to rest more fully.

The easiest to get on while traveling around was the Fire goal (legs and Cirque Physio - minimal equipment/space requirements). What I enjoyed the most was still parallettes though :D

Working out outside was great! I can't really do that here (heat, pollution, commute time to a decent green space) although I will try when the temperature goes down a fair bit.

I managed to finish my first P2 Phase 2 cycle (4 weeks). I have a lot of progress to make on that phase so it will probably take a few iterations (in my usual 3-week cycles this time).

Stretching was a bit low key compared to my usual. Which is a bit funny. I always think that on holiday I will stretch more but I don't really... Stretching is not that relaxing (back-bends I'm looking at you).

Now I will get back to my usual groove and start P2 Phase 2 Cycle 2, yo! I'm pretty sure aerial will hurt a little bit for a week or two, I'll go gently. And let's see now if I can fill all the boxes in my little tracker. The challenge actually begins!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, @mu said:

Stretching is not that relaxing (back-bends I'm looking at you).

It irks me so much when people say that stretching is relaxing! I really think that backbending is the most mentally and physically challenging I do, there's really nothing relaxing about it. 

Happy challenge start! :D 

This morning:

Grouped by goals but not completely in that order:

Fire

Cirque Physio x7 (glutes & hips related)

Pistol squat progression

Lying flexed foot straight leg extensions with ball

Air

Straight leg raises to bar → pike stretch → V hold → leg pull back towards the bar x3

Water

Stretching focused on hips

And work has started again although we spent a big part of the morning eating French cheese :D Now off to actual work...

current.thumb.png.f45dee31c14ed4abba4401e20773ce97.png

• Like 1

This morning:

Fire

Cirque Physio: hamstrings release, pike & arm lifts

Lying flex foot extensions with ball

Air

Earth – P2 Phase 2 Cycle 2 start!

HS warm-up set

Bent arm progression:

> Elevated headstand x5 => I'm starting to manage a little hip press at an angle below vertical, this is really hard. I can press from straddle hold to a deep shoulder stand (shorter hips path to vertical) but pressing to a headstand (arm at 90 degrees => hips have to travel higher up) is so hard.

> Single knee float to 1-leg crow LR => still 5-6s range, I have to work that one a little more next time

> HS → bent arm stand (partial) => 4/8 3/6 3/7 working on keeping a hollow body while coming down

HS to L-sit => 1/6 (1) 2/6 (1) 3/6 (1) => not bad, managed a full transition with bent legs every set, fails were mostly HS kick-up fails...

Bent arm plank push to straddle hold to bent arm press (deep) to plank x5 => much more accessible compared to the wooden lower parallettes (maybe 2cm lower but that makes a big difference)

V-sit tuck to V-sit hold for reps 3x5 => need to be careful about momentum cheat

HS 5x5 5+s=1+3+0+2+1=7/25 => bah not good at all, mostly kicking issues, too much / not enough + a bit tired

Water

Stretches including bridge + straddle stretches

current.thumb.png.b2be8209b1c3fdcfe00365804ae4f944.png

Tomorrow will be REST.

• Like 1

Oh I see there is a fancy Mini going on! But I won't be able to join this time around, I want to focus on P2 + I have a fair amount of work-related stuff to get on with, meaning less flexibility for play. Enjoy guys, it looks really fun :)

12 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Your presses are very impressive.  My kickups have been improving, but I still can't manage to get up into a handstand without a big kick to get my hips over my shoulders 

Mhm I cannot press to handstand either. The presses I do are either to a deep bent arm stand (arms angle < 90 degree) or to an elevated HEADstand with arms at 90 degree and my head on a support a little bit higher than the parallettes and I force myself to press the hips instead of just placing them above my shoulders just using flexibility. This is to work my bent arm press with arms at 90 degrees.

Does that make sense?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, @mu said:

Mhm I cannot press to handstand either. The presses I do are either to a deep bent arm stand (arms angle < 90 degree) or to an elevated HEADstand with arms at 90 degree and my head on a support a little bit higher than the parallettes and I force myself to press the hips instead of just placing them above my shoulders just using flexibility. This is to work my bent arm press with arms at 90 degrees.

Does that make sense?

Ah, that does make sense.  I have never tried doing a press to a bent arm stand, but mostly because I have never thought of it.  I should probably try that out.

That doesn't mean your presses aren't still impressive, though, because they are :) 

• Like 1

Bent arm headstand presses do sound tricky just in terms of the angles involved though.

And a morning full of french cheese sounds like a nice transition back to work. ;) 

• Like 1

Quick update, I'm very busy work-wise, I'm not sure when I will be able to catch up with everybody's threads!

Fire

Silks hamstring curls

Cirque Physio x1: glute activation

Earth – P2 elbow-humping workout

Low frog hold 8s x3

Slow push-ups 10x2

High frog to double arm lever x8 => going well, worked on cleaning up the leg transition from frog to straddle to straight, this seems to help with elbow placement, it led to a couple of face plant though

Lever spin x8 6 => working transitions with feet support, elbow placement / proper humping :D  still needs work. I'm starting to understand that the higher I keep my legs (without collapsing in the front of course...), the easier it is to place my elbows, but keeping the legs up is hard! By rep 8 I was DEAD.

Inside knee support tuck planche x2 best=10s

High frog max hold x2 max=10s => I tried to lower my hips to shoulder level and it was much harder

Single arm lever, two-hands hold, moving non-supporting hand up LR x3 => progressing on the left, the right hand side is just painful at the moment. I'm not sure why, the elbow position is the same I think.

Floor pike PU 5x2 + last rep 10s bottom hold x1 => flaring elbows / failing but doing it

Single bar push-ups with under-grip 5x2 => reaching a little bit above belly button

Water

Stretches including bridge + straddle stretches

I will do silks later on this afternoon.

• Like 2

Fire

Cirque Physio x1: hip rotations

Lying flex foot extensions with ball

Air

Conditioning (moved from the week-end as we might go to Kashan):

Silks alignment drills

Bar inverted pike → front lever progression => working on retracting the scapula / flat back tuck

Shoulder dislocate + German hangs (silks, bar) => gained a little of depth and hold time on those (shoulders had a proper holiday from hanging)

Silks flow:

Shoulder twist prep/warm-up

flamenco climb, invert to francesca, twisted descent LR => wee brain glitch on the left, but got it eventually

Fire

Cirque Physio: back-bends soft tissue prep x7

current.thumb.png.20996b7413221babd354d7e78135678c.png

• Like 3

Thanks & welcooooome again!

This morning, not in that order, but grouped here by goal:

Fire

CP: snow angels + thoracic rotation lift-offs + cobra leg lifts straight + bent

Lying flex foot extensions with ball LR10 x2

Earth

// Moved away from the week-end that might be busy:

HS alignment

HS endurance best=~30s (others at ~10-20s)

Air

// Alignment also moved away from the week-end:

Silks alignment

Leg raises to bar → pike stretch → V hold → pull back to bar 3x2

Side butt raises LR x2

=> using a bit of momentum and legs bending more than usual (quads ouch) but it's a post-holiday workout

Water

NF8 GMB custom spinal flexibility

Scorpion => it feels like I'm only bending from the lower back, I need to read further on what to do. If I want to bend a bit more from the upper back, I have to move my weight a bit forward, but then it's very heavy, I can't hold for long. And I'm not sure that's the right thing to do for me at this stage.

2-hand over drop back => just one quickie because I was running out of time, but it was all good, down and back up!

A little video of some of today's stuff. I put 2 scorpion vids (towards the end), the first with the bend I usually do which I feel more in my lower back, the second where I try to get into my upper back but it's not bending much :D I'm not sure if I should work more that upper back or if I should keep to my usual. I know my upper back can decently bend (in bridge / camel). Not sure what's happening here, or if I'm trying to find problems when there isn't it any really, just practice time will get me there?

Not bad considering I have been sleeping poorly this week (timezone change not in my favour, I can't sleep until really late...). I'm very happy about HS :)

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, @mu said:

A little video of some of today's stuff.

Your stuff is sooooo impressive (I feel like I keep saying the same thing, but it really is.  You are also giving me ideas for stuff I want to be working on too :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Your stuff is sooooo impressive (I feel like I keep saying the same thing, but it really is.  You are also giving me ideas for stuff I want to be working on too :) 

Thanks! What grabbed your attention?

1 minute ago, @mu said:

Thanks! What grabbed your attention?

Kneeling backbends, the twisty knee raises and the elbow stands.  I want to try all of those :D 

Question: How in the world do you get into an elbow stand?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Your stuff is sooooo impressive (I feel like I keep saying the same thing, but it really is. 

This!

35 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

The easiest way is basically like a handstand but with elbows on the floor. Start in a dolphin pose (or down dog with elbows on the floor if you will), get your feet close to your elbows, lift up one leg and push off with the other. You can also straddle press, but that's very hard and requires a hella lot of flexibility. 

9 hours ago, @mu said:

A little video of some of today's stuff. I put 2 scorpion vids (towards the end), the first with the bend I usually do which I feel more in my lower back, the second where I try to get into my upper back but it's not bending much :D I'm not sure if I should work more that upper back or if I should keep to my usual. I know my upper back can decently bend (in bridge / camel). Not sure what's happening here, or if I'm trying to find problems when there isn't it any really, just practice time will get me there?

This is a tricky one as one hand you want to relax certain muscles in order to deepen the bend and on the other hand you need to keep other muscles strong to be able to handle the load. I'm not sure about the technique though (never got into the advanced level classes) so can't really help. :( From my understanding (take it with a big grain of salt) you should try to widen the shoulders as much as possible in order to create a strong foundation, pushing hard through the shoulders, and then relax the chest down, while looking up as much as possible as that tends to activate the upper back. It's all about separating the shoulder activation from the upper back, which is quite tricky without the right technique. But as long as you don't sink into the lower back and keep everything engaged you should at least be fine from a safety point of view, even if it might not be ideal. Focusing on bending more through the upper back instead of the lower back is generally a good way to go though, for most people. :) 

I did however notice a different thing which is that there's almost no bend coming through the hips, most of the bend is coming strictly through the back. I think if you focused on releasing your quads and hip flexors you might see a big improvement right there, and that would also take load off the lower back. Think about extending your hips as much as possible before bending the knees.

But yeah, what makes elbow stands tricky compared to camel and bridges is partly that you don't get a floor to push off of, partly because it's difficult to access all of your upper back flexibility as you're using it to support your weight. Plus you have to balance at the same time! Basically it's hard. :P 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

The easiest way is basically like a handstand but with elbows on the floor. Start in a dolphin pose (or down dog with elbows on the floor if you will), get your feet close to your elbows, lift up one leg and push off with the other. You can also straddle press, but that's very hard and requires a hella lot of flexibility. 

Cool, I'll give it a try

On 9/26/2018 at 5:58 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Kneeling backbends, the twisty knee raises and the elbow stands.  I want to try all of those :D 

I kick into it. If you haven't tried before, maybe do it next to a wall at first because falling out of it is really awkward (you have to be super careful about the neck).

On 9/26/2018 at 7:22 PM, Mad Hatter said:

But as long as you don't sink into the lower back and keep everything engaged you should at least be fine from a safety point of view, even if it might not be ideal. Focusing on bending more through the upper back instead of the lower back is generally a good way to go though, for most people. :) 

I did however notice a different thing which is that there's almost no bend coming through the hips, most of the bend is coming strictly through the back. I think if you focused on releasing your quads and hip flexors you might see a big improvement right there, and that would also take load off the lower back. Think about extending your hips as much as possible before bending the knees.

You're a gold mine really!

This is true about the hips! Now that you mention it, I totally see it. And indeed I find actively extending the hips pretty hard. Even in camel.

And I really sweat it with hips-related Cirque Physio drills too.

So I think I'll keep to option 2, trying to get more into my upper back + add a focus on hips extension. The odd thing maybe is that, at this stage, it doesn't feel that stretchy, if feels HEAVY as hell :D Maybe I need to gain some strength to bear the weight before I can stretch. Which makes sense I suppose.

On 9/26/2018 at 7:22 PM, Mad Hatter said:

I'm not sure about the technique though (never got into the advanced level classes) so can't really help.

You wouldn't fancy taking flexibility classes again? or do you prefer to go on your own for now?

In the end, we are not going to Kashan so I can relax workout-wise. I did silks today and will do P2 stuff tomorrow (my triceps are killing me today so a little swap is welcome).

I had to un-glue myself from my computer though, I'm in a serious coding spree, it's like time does not exist... (but it does)

Fire

Sissy squats partials  + Floor GHR

Cirque Physio – hips stuff x2

Air

Silks alignment drills

Long arm straddles (bent legs) R2 L2 splits silks 2 => my chest is now looking good (lulz) :P  I mean it's opened and stretched, the back is now doing its supporting job, and my hips are indeed staying closer to vertical BUT now my straddle is looking tight, if I try to make it look nicer, I lose the hips and then I lose the shape I'm supposed to keep. It's an interesting little puzzle.

Meathook drill LRLR x2 (2 hands - bottom entry – bent legs/arms) => loosing back support (rounding)... so I reverted to a top entry: sided invert → get the back in support position → meathook. Which means I'm not ready for the bottom entry really, I will go back to a top entry and work the negative.

Skill/flow: meathook on one silk to hip lock on opposite silk => challenging, that's a lot of legs to swap around in the right order  :D  I'm not sure I got the most efficient transition. Will keep at it!

current.thumb.png.d1b05a62604c218268f44360e187c874.png

• Like 2