• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

49 minutes ago, Arkania said:

This is so cool!

Can I save this as a goal of mine and you as a role model for me in these exercises? :wub:

:P Thanks! For leg raises, I have been doing them for a long time, so I could eventually share some XP, for HS and stretching, I mostly tend to ask Mad Hatter for tips :D

No Fire today and that's quite nice :D I did do some hamstring prep for HS to L-sit though. 

I need to cut down coffee a wee bit (got some from France and it's stronger than my usual), I get leg shakes while balancing... My quads are also a bit tired but the shakes are mostly coffee-related.

Air

Straight leg raises to bar → pike stretch → V hold → leg pull back towards the bar x3

Bar bent knees butt side invert LR x2

Earth

HS warm-up set

Bent arm progression:

> Elevated headstand x5 => first 3 reps ok then mostly fails, I had to start with my hips higher up to press

> Single knee float to 1-leg crow LR => L10s-R8s a couple of seconds improvement

> HS → bent arm stand (partial) => 3/5 3/5 2/7 I really need to focus on bending down SLOWLY while keeping my balance and it's ok not to bend much as long as I manage to keep the hold with a hollow body + beware of elbow flare (oh a rhyme!)

HS to L-sit => 2/5 (0) 2/5 (1) 3/5 (2) a lot of bum landings meaning that I'm not leaning forward enough + I still come down too fast, even when I manage the transition in full. But getting there.

Bent arm plank push to straddle hold to bent arm press (deep) to plank x5

V-sit tuck to V-sit hold for reps 3x5

HS 5x5 5+9/25 => 1 dead set... bad kicks mostly... and too much coffee I think

Water

Stretches including bridge + straddle stretches

This is the end of the week for me, review time!

~Weekly review~

current-w1.thumb.png.6798c81deba82530bff06bba43208750.png

All goals hit!

I will start grouping “traditional” leg drills by 2 because otherwise I'm sore all week seriously :P  I also need rest from Cirque Physio, I will do group drills and do them on fewer days.

I'm a bit sore from aerial (lats) but it's not too bad. I don't really feel any strength loss despite 3 weeks off, maybe endurance has gone down a bit (fair enough). If anything my shoulders are feeling like BULLS right now :D Holidays (P2 but no aerial) were good on them.

Phase 2 cycle 2 is going ok. Training is a bit more tidy than during the holidays (for all the drills that have some safety involved, like HS lowers, it's nicer to do those in my usual settings).

Stretching is also feeling better than during the holidays. Might be related to temperature/humidity levels I am used to somehow.

And yeah I should cut down a bit on coffee and sleep more.  I love coffee but I'm not sleeping enough and I can't have shakes like this while training HS...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, @mu said:

You're a gold mine really!

This is true about the hips! Now that you mention it, I totally see it. And indeed I find actively extending the hips pretty hard. Even in camel.

And I really sweat it with hips-related Cirque Physio drills too.

So I think I'll keep to option 2, trying to get more into my upper back + add a focus on hips extension. The odd thing maybe is that, at this stage, it doesn't feel that stretchy, if feels HEAVY as hell :D Maybe I need to gain some strength to bear the weight before I can stretch. Which makes sense I suppose.

I share what I can, but definitely take any info with a grain of salt. :P It's a lot of underpants collecting together with snippets from teachers, but that's it.

Yeah I find hip extension really hard too! For me it's always been difficult, but now when I'm climbing  a lot more it's so much worse.

I think you're spot on in gaining strength in order to go deeper into a pose. :) 

15 hours ago, @mu said:

You wouldn't fancy taking flexibility classes again? or do you prefer to go on your own for now?

Right now I haven't found a place where I trust the teachers enough to teach, especially teaching adults, AND their English is good enough. If I at some point get into a solid enough habit of training (that lasts for more than 1-2 months :P) then I'll consider privates or online coaching. Especially if I'll ever get into tricks like cheststands.

15 hours ago, @mu said:

I had to un-glue myself from my computer though, I'm in a serious coding spree, it's like time does not exist... (but it does)

Unfortunately time does exist, but you don't tend to notice it until way too late. :lol:

2 hours ago, @mu said:

I need to cut down coffee a wee bit (got some from France and it's stronger than my usual), I get leg shakes while balancing... My quads are also a bit tired but the shakes are mostly coffee-related.

LOL handstands and shakes definitely don't go well together! :D 

19 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Right now I haven't found a place where I trust the teachers enough to teach, especially teaching adults, AND their English is good enough. If I at some point get into a solid enough habit of training (that lasts for more than 1-2 months :P) then I'll consider privates or online coaching. Especially if I'll ever get into tricks like cheststands.

That makes sense. Aaahh chest stands, I remember working on them once, a long time ago. I remember being shown how to roll into it and it was rather technical, I forgot all of it. But mostly I remember a joke on how your recognize people training chest stand: they have calluses under their chin :D

This morning I first trained then I had coffee, bah, that made me a bit grumpy. It's likely to be just one off :P

Air

Straight leg raises to bar → pike stretch → V hold → leg pull back towards the bar x3

Earth

HS 5x5 5+s consistency = 11/25 a bit better, I managed to catch a couple of bad kicks.

Fire

Pistol squat progression L3R3 x3 – I may have done the same leg twice at some point (what happens when I don't get my morning coffee...)

Knee step up LR10 x2

CP Hip Internal Rotation in Sidelying

CP Piked fire hydrants

CP Knee hang fire hydrants

CP Hip Internal Rotation in Bridge

CP Prone passé

CP Superband Lunge Mobilization => love that one

=> got very very warm hips by then...that might have been a bit much

Standing flexed foot straight leg extensions with ball (front/side/back) 4/4/4 LR

CP at end: quads release

Water

Stretching focused on hips (GMB stuff, pigeon, a bit of lotus, a bit of grasshopper)

• Like 1

This morning I got absorbed by work too much, I trained in the evening:

Fire

CP Glute Max Active Release

CP Child's pose glute activation

=> the 2 above help prepping for elbow lever (I think)

Lying flex foot with ball LR10x2 => bad grip today

Air

Leg raise to bar → pike stretch → V hold → leg pull x3

=> Quads are hurting quite bad

Earth – P2 elbow-humping workout

I experimented with a wider parallettes width but I'm not sure what to think about it really. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it's harder.

Low frog hold 8s x3

Slow push-ups 10x2

High frog to double arm lever x8 => a couple of misses but ok otherwise. On the last reps, once in elbow lever, I tried to work some reverse hyper-extension and I swear I felt like my legs were coming up really high up – but not really :tyrannosaurus:.... Glutes hurt all right though.

Lever spin x8 => baaaah sort of the same, with feet support, really dying during transitions. I'm starting to catch my elbow on the final one, but the stuff in the middle is MADNESS.

Inside knee support tuck planche x2

High frog max hold x2

Single arm lever, two-hands hold, moving non-supporting hand up LR x3 => a lot of elbow-belly pain atm

Floor pike PU 5x2 + last rep 10s bottom hold x1 => a fail on hold and still form issues, I'm just too tired by then probably

Single bar push-ups with under-grip 5x2

Water

current.thumb.png.de44962874dac5a253ba6d34c60d5aa2.png

• Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 7:51 AM, @mu said:

That makes sense. Aaahh chest stands, I remember working on them once, a long time ago. I remember being shown how to roll into it and it was rather technical, I forgot all of it. But mostly I remember a joke on how your recognize people training chest stand: they have calluses under their chin :D

Chin callouses are the sexiest of callouses. :D 

I never got to a point where I was "allowed to" train chest stands. My teacher only let people train them if you could deadlift into them and I was never strong enough for that, far from. I did a few supported ones here and there but it was mostly to get a feel for the position. Typically I got sent off to do more conditioning. :P 

23 minutes ago, @mu said:

but the stuff in the middle is MADNESS.

But it's really cool madness!

On 9/30/2018 at 9:32 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Chin callouses are the sexiest of callouses. :D 

:lol:

Today was REST day. And life's rhythm is a bit fast these days.

So nothing new workout out wise but here are a few pics of the fruit juice shop (100% natural, they juice in front of you). I got myself a bottle of carrot juice.

miveh.jpg.ea0f994d873d707323b601acfaf02881.jpg

The cat seems to like to it too :D

ab_miveh_shideh.jpg.92bbe7f97b0d0114b616d88773c41995.jpg

• Like 4

My back was feeling very flexy today, which is not a bad thing, but I had to very consciously tighten the back muscles to get some support.

Fire

CP x1 Hamstring Active Release

Earth

HS warm-up set

Bent arm progression:

> Elevated headstand x5 => a bit better maybe, worked the negatives hard

> Single knee float to 1-leg crow LR => now up to 9-10s both sides!

> HS → bent arm stand (partial) => 2/5 3/5 1/7 (oops HS?) 3/3 a couple of slower/focused reps

HS to L-sit => 2/5 (1) 2/5 (1) 2/6 (2) a bit more control on the first sets maybe

Bent arm plank push to straddle hold to bent arm press (deep) to plank x5

HS 5x5 5+s consistency: 10/25 - my back was not the most supportive, but overall ok session

Water

Air

Silks alignment drills

Silks flow/skills: catcher practice LR, opposite knee hock to balance in wrap LR – so so a bit tired, shorten it up

Fire

CP x8: back-bends soft tissue prep. I still have to check her videos every so often on those but it's coming.

current.thumb.png.6e0167d9f1c39ac77494e32b76516959.png

• Like 2

Today:

Air

Leg raises to bar → pike stretch → V hold → pull back to bar 3x2

Side butt raises LR x2

Water

NF8 GMB custom spinal flexibility

Scorpion x3

2-hand unsupported drop back x2

Fire

CP x1 Thoracic Rotation Lift-offs RL 10 (post-warm-up)

CP x2: cobra leg lifts straight and bent (end)

@Mad Hatter the hip extension tip was brilliant! Focusing on it has changed the feel of the stretches (camel, scorpion, drop back). In scorpion I managed to reach the cushion on my sofa. I could get some support to stretch further there, but I didn't do it too much because I really need to get used to bearing my weight in that position. Quite a bit of practice coming up! 

current.thumb.png.8c7640554b623a31fd57292e04c817bf.png

• Like 1

This afternoon:

Fire

CPx1 Child's pose glute activation

Earth - P2

Low frog hold 8s x3

Slow push-ups 10x2

High frog to double arm lever x8 => tried to side elbow afterwards (as it is in the final flow) = TOO HARD

Lever spin x8 => more or less the same

Inside knee support tuck planche x2 => best=9s

High frog max hold x2 => best=14s lowering the hips

Single arm lever, two-hands hold, moving non-supporting hand up LR x3

Floor pike PU 5x2 + last rep 10s bottom hold x1 => not great, not too bad either

Water

This evening:

Air

Silks alignment

Conditioning: front lever progression + shoulder dislocate + German hangs (silks & mixed grip silks/bar)

Fire

Silks hamstring curls 10x4

Floor GHR 5x4

Lying flexed foot leg extension with ball LR 10x2 => hard to grip these days: temperature is coming down => less sweating => weaker hold on the ball – of course too much sweating can also hurt :P but overall the limiting factor on this drill is my foot grip not my hams...

A neighbour in the building just next to us has gotten a speaking parrot (a Gabonese). It's currently on their balcony and the cat is extremely teased! :lol:

And we made our own almond milk! It's fantastic :) 

current.thumb.png.246adb215b60c59af5d87c33ad1a2b8d.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

What a tragic fate for a cat! :D 

She is very much aware of that :lol:

This morning

Fire

CP Child pose pike

CP Snow angels

Earth

HS alignment

HS endurance 18s max - struggle bus today, I kept getting stuck between 12-18s and I spent like an hour on it! The main problem was bending over and not being able to catch it early enough to press back into balance. I thought I had improved on that one, but it feels like the bend threshold has changed somewhere (maybe from back-bending work?).

Air

Silks alignment drills

Straddle up L2R2 Split silks 2

Meathook drill (back to full cycle) LR x2

Here is a progress pic on my straddle alignment, showing February / May / today.  It is really slow and hard work.

20181005-progress.jpg.72d510e7300a1f433983137294bfec68.jpg

Alignment drills have helped a lot of course. My chest is much more open now and I get better support from the back, hips are still a bit out there... if I press them up, my legs go up, not sure how come :P Still work to do but it's getting there! 

What I have left to do for this week: some silks flow/skills and a ball flex drill.

• Like 3

Yes! The pec/anterior delt stretching drill is pretty efficient (and very nice too, in particular after parallettes work).

NB for anybody reading and interested in inverted alignment for silks/rope (and possibly straps, rings), I'm using the first e-book here:

https://www.theartistathlete.com/e-books/

Not cheap, but worth it (reference material for good form + drills).

Air

Aloha prep sequence (bits of it)

Meathook to hip lock => realised that my opposite knee hock was weak (going monkey) so worked on that on both double silks (more puff = more grip - ok) and single silk (thin and slippery – not ok at all...).

Then I worked on straight legs scissors hip lock entry from a mixed grip silk + bar.

Fire

Lying flexed foot leg extension with ball 10x2

~~ Week review ~~

All goals hit again and this time the leg work planning was much better.

current-w1.thumb.png.6798c81deba82530bff06bba43208750.png

Some thoughts:

Cirque Physio: she has very specific programmes with drills in a specific order, so I don't really follow that because I simply don't have the time. But I think I'm getting around ok with picking a relevant set of drills depending on my workout of the day. I still haven't tried all of her drills (there are so many...). In particular I haven't really done any nerve gliding, I remember trying one for the sciatic nerve but I didn't feel it that much maybe because I already do a lot of flexed foot work with my ball. But I might try again at some point.

P2: some progress but it's hard work, nothing new under the sun :)

Flexibility: new item in my todo list: hip extension work and enjoying it. My back reached a new flexibility level I think and it's affecting my HS somewhat.

Aerial: sort of still getting back into it after the holiday break.

• Like 1

Ah, that is serious progress! I remember well the shot from February. :)

I have taken some of Cirque Psyio's nerve glide stuff from IG (I should buy her ebooks sometime) and I actually do like it a lot! Including the sciatic nerve ones. I don't feel it a ton WHILE I'm doing it, but I do notice the difference in my active flexibility work.

On 10/5/2018 at 11:09 PM, raptron said:

Ah, that is serious progress! I remember well the shot from February. :)

I have taken some of Cirque Psyio's nerve glide stuff from IG (I should buy her ebooks sometime) and I actually do like it a lot! Including the sciatic nerve ones. I don't feel it a ton WHILE I'm doing it, but I do notice the difference in my active flexibility work.

Ha that's good to know! So I should try to give it a good go then. I might have to cook up a Cirque Physio drill rotation or something :D

Yesterday

+Water (hip stretching) / +Air (hanging raises) / +Fire (physiox7, legsx2, ball flex x1)

Rather fiery for a stretch day...

GMB warmup/mild stretches focused on hips

L2 Pistol squat progression L3R3 x3

L1 Knee step up LR10 x2

CP1 Hip Internal Rotation in Sidelying 10L10R x2

CP2 Piked fire hydrants 10L10R x2

CP3 Knee hang fire hydrants 10L10R x2

CP4 Hip Internal Rotation in Bridge 2-3s hold 10L7R x2

CP5 Prone passé 6 reps of 5s hold LR x2

CP6 Superband Lunge Mobilization 2mn LR 5-10s hold per position

B1 Standing flexed foot straight leg extensions with ball F4S4B4 x2

Pigeon

CP7 Quads release LR20

Today

+Fire (physiox2) +Air(hanging raises) +Earth(P2, HS) +Water(bridge&straddle)

CP8 Hamstring Active Release

CP9 Child pose pike lift

HS holds x5 (warm-up / untracked set)

Bent arm progression:

> Elevated headstand press x5 => starting from knees

> 1-leg crow LR => L12s very controlled! R7s R9s

> HS → bent arm stand (partial) => 3/5 bananas but starting to feel a sweet spot 3/5 4/6 (mostly under/over – no sweet spot at all!)

HS to L-sit (bent legs) 3/4 (1) 2/3 (1) 2/3 (1) => a better consistency (more tiring) + a very good one

Bent arm plank push to straddle hold to bent arm press (deep) to plank x5 => so so

HS 5x5 5+s consistency=13/25 => improving, using the cue “let's do as if I'm going into L-sit afterwards” seems to help activating the core, I didn't fall over as much as I do usually

Cool down + Bridge and straddle stretches

I was due for a reference video so here it is:

And tracker

current.thumb.png.e914d1f3ec02213e95b1a03bd4b4545f.png

• Like 3

+Fire (physio) +Earth (P2) +Water (bridge+straddles)

CP child pose glute activation

P2 workout:

Low frog hold 8s x3

Slow push-ups 10x2

High frog to double arm lever x8 => tried to side elbow afterwards again, this is a good check for elbow placement (if not solid enough I might be able to support myself but moving won't be possible)

Lever spin x8 => firs 4 reps working the first and last transition with foot support in the middle, last 4 reps working the middle bit. Lazy glutes&legs day.

Inside knee support tuck planche x2 10s 4s => hips coming down slowly but surely, I have to come out of it very slow, releasing the pressure on the forearms step by step, otherwise it's super painful.

High frog max hold x2 28s => but hips too high, tried again with lower hips and mostly failed in my arms

Single arm lever, two-hands hold, moving non-supporting hand up LR x3 => still a much harder time on the right

Floor pike PU 5x2 + last rep 10s bottom hold x1 => not great but not too bad either

I was also due a ref video on that workout, below. I think the overall sense of struggle shows :P  but some little bits have improved.

I should have a silks and physio session this evening as well.

• Like 3

On 10/9/2018 at 5:54 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Your movement looks sooo much smoother in this video! :wub:

Having my nose in it, I don't exactly feel the smooth part :D but yes there are some bits that are coming out little by little.  Others still feel IMPOSSIBLE (like the lever spin middle section).

Life is too busy these days...I'm very tired right now! I will hopefully catch up with people's threads over the week-end (meaning tomorrow and Friday).

Lots of updates due:

Tuesday evening

+Air (hanging raises, alignment) +Fire (physio: soft tissue work for back-bends)

I did not have time to do skills/flow on silks, it was getting too late. So I did silks today, and back-bend this evening - I just finished.

So this morning:

+Air(hanging raises, flow)

I did some improv based on a salto variation (that I did not drop - can't with the rig I have). I tried several sound tracks and ended up wit a zombie theme again :P That was a lot of fun, I spent an hour on it and it felt like 5mn. I have a problem with the TIME dimension these days, seriously :unconscious:

Just now:

+Water (back-bends) +Fire(physio, ball flex)

I was feeling quite light-headed by the end of it (still am). Not sure if it's because I trained in the evening or possibly did not eat enough today. I had a harder time not letting the weight go into my lower back.

current.thumb.png.8d279cadfc0fc4546020ef22a1879911.png

• Like 1

you really rock those paralettes! you really improved since last I saw you dear!

Im back from India, so im joining up on handstand journey from the next challenge!

keep up the amazing work :angel:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, @mu said:

Having my nose in it, I don't exactly feel the smooth part :D but yes there are some bits that are coming out little by little.  Others still feel IMPOSSIBLE (like the lever spin middle section).

Even the impossible bits look a lot smoother though. :) It's more like your overall movement quality has noticeably improved, it's kinda cool.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Norgaard said:

you really rock those paralettes! you really improved since last I saw you dear!

Im back from India, so im joining up on handstand journey from the next challenge!

keep up the amazing work :angel:

Hey you're back!! How was it? I hope you tell us all about your amazing adventures!   Are you back to work as well?

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Even the impossible bits look a lot smoother though. :) It's more like your overall movement quality has noticeably improved, it's kinda cool.

Haa thanks! :surprise:^_^

Today we went to visit somebody at the hospital (knee operation / doing well). It's a hospital managed by the Revolutionary Guards, so the entrance has a dress-code check point (I live in Iran if you don't know yet). And I had to wear a black chador... it is not required by law at all, and it's very rare when I have to wear one (usually religious funerals). I do have one for those occasions, a modern one with sleeves and buttons and an elastic in the hood part so that it holds up decently. I don't usually bring it around so I had to borrow one at the hospital entrance and it was the basic type, just a black piece of clothing. And this is very technical to wear properly seriously...  :mask: I usually end up with all my hair coming out in less than a minute (kinda defeats the purpose...). Plus it was a bit long for me and I kept walking on it and getting entangled. I ended up having a bit of a smiling audience along the way, it's not usual to see foreigners wearing chador, I think they were thoroughly amused by the display of  fails :D  (not in a bad way, it was good-hearted and maybe a proof that despite the simplicity of the cut, it is not easy to wear AT ALL).

Then we did some shopping + had a very late lunch in a nice little place with a leafy backyard. But walking about in the streets in that area (central Tehran) is really awful these days. At least the temperature is coming down a fair bit.

+Fire(physio, legs, ball, flex) +Earth(P2, HS) +Air(hanging raises, alignment/conditioning) +Water(bridge&straddle)

Again I delayed my workout to the evening and I should really stop doing that. This is because I go to bed late and in the morning, I start coding instead (even the week-end...) and then hours just fly by....

I had no jooooon as we say in Persian (low energy). Usually I do the following in 2 workouts, a big one in the morning, a shorter one late afternoon or so. Everything in one row was too much!

CPx1 Child pose pike lift

HS holds x5 (warm-up / untracked set)

Bent arm progression:

> Elevated headstand press x5

> 1-leg crow LR → 6s got quicker into 1-leg crow but did not hold so long

> HS → bent arm stand (partial) 2/5 2/6 2/5 → very low energy on that one

HS to L-sit (bent legs) 2/5 (2) 1/5 (0) 4/4 (2) → good last set! Too tired to get a fifth rep though

Bent arm plank push to straddle hold to bent arm press (deep) to plank x5 → I need to work my straddle hold again, it's deteriorating a wee bit

HS 5x5 5+s consistency=14/25 → very happy, I was expecting to struggle because of low energy levels and some coffee shakes... but it was quite good. Main misses were due to low-energy kicks – fair enough.

Silks alignment

Bar inverted pike → front lever progression 2 2

Shoulder dislocate + German hang (just 1 on silks)

Silks hamstring curls 10x4

GHR 5x4

Lying flexed foot leg extension with ball LR 10x2

Bridge and straddle stretches

current.thumb.png.2060eb2c785dfcfabe3411d71b7edd39.png

• Like 1