• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wolfen

Wolfen Hits the Trails

2 hours ago, annyshay said:

Friggen bullying. The worst. I'm glad everybody is moving forward from it.

Agreed. And thank you for stopping in. Always great to see you.

Week 2 Day One Update (Monday):

• 0430 wakeup
  • said the Lord's prayer, as well as a more personal prayer for my wife and daughters
  • 40 push-ups completed
  • watched two more Lumo Project videos; so far I am through Luke Chapter 6.
  • took the dogs outside, and I was shirtless and shoeless (btw, this will be waaaaay more relevant as the weather gets colder and I'm still going outside without a shirt or shoes).
  • two WHM breathing rotations: 1:42, 2:20
  • shower: 2 mins. warm, 4 mins. cold
  • breakfast: protein shake with chocolate whey protein, two raw duck eggs, half a banana, honey, and peanut butter
  • helped the princesses get ready for school
  • drank plenty of water
  • no running today, but my step count was still 11,279
  • read a bit more of Endure.
  • passed a few people on campus and said, "Hello." Most returned my greeting. One person surprised me by saying "Good morning" before I had the chance to say anything.
  • I am grateful for: friends, soft rain, leftover spaghetti
  • texted and called my buddy Rick, talked about our kids and our successful runs, our most comfortable pants (mine are a recently purchased pair of Reebok exercise pants)
  • spent the evening on the couch with my wife watching the pilot episode of Manifest, Magnum P.I. (another remake), and the season premier of Big Bang Theory.
  • went to bed at 2200, and Arabella actually slept on her own in the floor next to our bed
  • Like 4

Apologies for ghosting. It's been a busy few days. Rather than try to recap all my accomplished or failed goals, I'll just give you some highlights:

• Saturday, I joined Princess Arabella for her very first 5k. It was a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. We walked most of it, and I carried her on my shoulders for some of it, but we finished together in just over 50 minutes. I wouldn't say she had fun because it was a lot of uphill, but she does want to join me for another one. She is 6 years old.
  • Worked most of the day Saturday volunteering to help park cars for a band competition. Never again. People are quite rude when they don't get to park where they want to park. It was made worse because the county bus terminal was supposed to move their buses so we could fit incoming buses, but they did not. My job was to park buses. Likewise, one of our volunteers backed out, so there wasn't anyone showing drivers where to park to keep from cluttering up the grass lot or blocking entrances and exits. Any time someone complained to me, I simply said, "I'm parking buses. That's my job."
  • My step count yesterday was an unbelievable 40,711 (20.37 mi.)
  • Hit a PR this afternoon for the route around the lake. My time went from 12:20 to 10:47. I know I can do better, though.
  • Yesterday marked the one year anniversary of my grandfather's death. I had a dream Friday night that he was talking to me. He said, "You're not doing some of the things you said you were going to do." Then I woke up.
  • Meeting up with another local runner tomorrow that I linked up with on Strava to run the lake route again. He's much more experienced and quite a bit faster, but maybe that will motivate me to run my best tomorrow.
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Saturday, I joined Princess Arabella for her very first 5k. It was a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. We walked most of it, and I carried her on my shoulders for some of it, but we finished together in just over 50 minutes. I wouldn't say she had fun because it was a lot of uphill, but she does want to join me for another one. She is 6 years old

This is heart-warming.

6 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Yesterday marked the one year anniversary of my grandfather's death. I had a dream Friday night that he was talking to me. He said, "You're not doing some of the things you said you were going to do." Then I woke up.

Food for thought.

• Like 2

Wow such a great post. Love that your daughter wants to do another race with you. So frustrating when people are grouchy with volunteers (or really with anyone who doesn't deserve it). Such an intriguing dream!!

• Like 2

Midweek update (M-W):

• 0430-0445 wakeup: 2/3
  • 40 pushups: 1/3
  • barefoot time in the morning with the dogs: 3/3
  • Primal movements and stretches: 3/3
  • cold shower: 2/3
  • 64 oz. of water: 2/3
  • at least 10,000 steps: 3/3
  • 2200-2300 bedtime: 2/3
  • Running schedule is all jacked up, but I did join a local university cross country coach in a lap around the lake because he had never been there before and wanted to know if it would be an good place to bring the team. We ran around it in just over 11 minutes at about a 9:13 pace.
  • WHM Breathing/Meditation in the morning: 2/3
  • Read at least 20 minutes per day: 3/3 (I'm totally counting school textbooks).
  • listen to at least one podcast per week: started listening to a series from the Become Good Soil podcast
  • read at least one article about trail running, running, or endurance athletics: reading an article from Outside Magazine about triathlete Gwen Jorgensen
  • take a brain break in the afternoon (20 minute binaural meditation) daily: 2/3
  • listen to music that lifts my soul: 3/3
  • document at least three things I am grateful for daily: my wife's patience, chocolate chips, stuffed mushrooms, unique style, personality quizzes, birthday greetings, bare feet on cold floors, milk and cookies, and fond memories
  • make eye contact and greet people as I pass them on campus: 3/3
  • text or call at least one friend daily to see how his day went: 3/3
  • play with my younger princesses after homework is completed: 3/3
  • spend evenings with my queen: 3/3, although we got into a pretty serious argument Monday night. As I have said before, I tend to obsess about things that get me excited, and I can go on and on and let that thing consume my conversations and my interactions with others. I have also been pretty grumpy lately, except when running or when talking about running. So from my wife's perspective it seemed like running made me happy while my family made me grumpy. She admitted to feeling neglected, and at first I was offended and got defensive. But after some tears and some explanation and apologies, we're back on solid ground. I just need to dial down the urge to join races (we don't really have the extra money or time) because it's stressing her out and stop pestering her about races. It doesn't mean she never wants me to do another one, just that I need to dial it down a bit instead of obsessing.
  • prayer and scripture study daily: 2/3
  • every morning, say a prayer of gratitude for the day: 2/3
  • read through the Soulcon devotionals: Ehh... I haven't been doing this regularly, so... 0/3
  • post and visit the Soulcon Facebook page: 1/3
  • listen to or watch at least one sermon per week: been listening to Morgan Snyder on the Become Good Soil podcast
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, Wolfen said:

document at least three things I am grateful for daily: my wife's patience, chocolate chips, stuffed mushrooms, unique style, personality quizzes, birthday greetings, bare feet on cold floors, milk and cookies, and fond memories

Catching up on your thread, but I love the daily "things I'm grateful for" section of your posts :) 

• Like 2

I love the idea of playing with younger princesses after homework. I am trying to do that too with my Agents. They may not be at the age to "play" much anymore, but at least spend time with them. Its amazing how easy it is to look up an go "when did you get so big" and feel like you never spend time with them, but they were always with you. I hope you both have a good time.

New thing that Youngest Agent is obsessed with that we can do just about anywhere is "Beep, beep, I am a sheep." You start by saying "Beep beep, I am a sheep." and then the next one says "Beep beep I a sheep with a Jeep." Next thing you know, you come up with silly sentences that rhyme with Sheep. I think the best one so far was "Beep, beep, i am a sheep who weeps and drive a jeep with a creep who says bleep while I say meep." (this can continue for a bit just going back and forth).

• Like 2

Update (Thursday-Sunday):

• 0430-0445 wakeup: 2/4
  • 40 push-ups and 15 burpees: 3/4
  • barefoot time in the morning and stretches and movements (inspired by Primal body Reboot program by Jonathan Mead): 4/4
  • cold shower: 3/4

excellence.jpg

• at least 64oz of water: 4/4
  • at least 10,000 steps: 4/4
  • 2230-2300 bedtime: 3/4
  • light run at Wine Cellar Park Thursday, no running Friday because of pain in my left leg, 5.64 mile run Saturday, no running Sunday

running-sucks.jpg?w=576

• WHM Breathing/Meditation in the morning: 2/4
  • Read at least 20 minutes per day: 4/4 -- still working my way through The Spartan Way by Joe De Sena.
  • listen to at least one podcast per week: catching up with the Become Good Soil podcast; also started listening to a newer podcast called Wild Thing about Bigfoot. One of my good friends, Christopher Button, did the artwork for the podcast and the website. His art can also be seen on the merchandise for the podcast.
  • read at least one article about trail running, running, or endurance athletics: read an article from Strava about the UTMB race.

da9341bc1117dfc627907d92bccc5469.jpg

• take a brain break in the afternoon (20 minute binaural meditation) daily: 3/4
  • listen to music that lifts my soul: 4/4
  • watch at least one motivational video or movie per week: watched a video that I've seen and shared before, but it is worth seeing and sharing again:
  • document at least three things I am grateful for daily: sunlight, fog, unconventional pizza toppings, butter coffee, the way my wife looks at me, my daughter's laughter, rare opportunities because of unfortunate circumstances, the right movie on Netflix, Lunchables, good ideas, bad ideas, time limits.
  • make eye contact and greet people as I pass them on campus: 2/4 (not on campus on the weekends).
  • text or call at least one friend daily to see how his day went: 4/4
  • play with my younger princesses after homework is completed: 4/4

3fbc62136c91c88b60a45e521a3cf627.jpg

• spend evenings with my queen: 4/4
  • prayer and scripture study daily: 3/4
  • every morning, say a prayer of gratitude for the day: 4/4
  • read through the Soulcon devotionals: 0/4
  • post and visit the Soulcon Facebook page: 3/4
  • listen to or watch at least one sermon per week: listening to Morgan Stanley via the Become Good Soil podcast.

the-soil-of-your-heart-luke-81-15-29-638

• Like 8

On 10/8/2018 at 10:48 AM, Wolfen said:

da9341bc1117dfc627907d92bccc5469.jpg

Can I just say how much I LOVE THIS? I never thought of it this way, but its true. And the results do mean so much even when the numeral on the box isn't moving.

• Like 1

I'm catching up a bit!  5K for a 6 year old?  Awesome!!!    Sounds like you have so much on your plate, but you are doing great with it all.  Love it!!! 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 11:07 AM, Terra said:

Sounds like you have so much on your plate, but you are doing great with it all.  Love it!!! 

Thank you @Terra. Yes, my plate is generally full, and sometimes it's spilling over (which means I'm blessed). :)

Final update coming up this evening will be cumulative highlights for the week. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Final Update (Monday-Sunday):

• 0430-0445 wakeup (5/7)
  • 40 push-ups (6/7)
  • barefoot time in the morning and stretches and movements (7/7)
  • cold shower (5/7)
  • at least 64oz of water (6/7)
  • at least 10,000 steps (7/7)
  • 2230-2300 bedtime (4/7)
  • Running schedule has been off because of the pain in my thigh, but I did manage to run 5k Monday in just under 30 minutes and another 5k Thursday in just over 33 minutes. Still having slight pain in my thigh, so I may need to take a little break.
  • WHM Breathing/Meditation in the morning (4/7)
  • Read at least 20 minutes per day (5/7)
  • listen to at least one podcast per week: finished the series for Become Good Soil
  • read at least one article about trail running, running, or endurance athletics: read an article on Outside Magazine Online about Ben Greenfield
  • take a brain break in the afternoon (20 minute binaural meditation) daily (4/7)
  • listen to music that lifts my soul: listened to a lot of Gungor this week, as well as a playlist on Spotify called "Back Porch."
  • watch at least one motivational video or movie per week: watched the below video with Jocko Willink:
  • document at least three things I am grateful for daily (7/7)
  • make eye contact and greet people as I pass them on campus (5/5)
  • text or call at least one friend daily to see how his day went (7/7)
  • play with my younger princesses after homework is completed (5/5)
  • spend evenings with my queen (7/7)
  • prayer and scripture study daily (6/7)
  • every morning, say a prayer of gratitude for the day (7/7)
  • read through the Soulcon devotionals (honestly, I kind of dropped the ball with this rotation of Soulcon)
  • post and visit the Soulcon Facebook page (2/7)
  • listen to or watch at least one sermon per week: listened to Morgan Stanley on the Become Good Soil podcast
  • Like 2

Thank you, Rangers, for having me this past challenge. I am returning home to the Adventurers because I miss them (and because my current challenge definitely embraces my inner Adventurer).

For this challenge, I give myself a B- mostly due to some inconsistencies and for dropping the ball on a few of the goals set at the beginning (mainly the daily burpees and my running routine). I stayed active, though, with daily body movements, plenty of steps, and time to run at least three days a week while managing to spend time with God, family and friends. You can expect that all of my challenges will incorporate all of these things: God, family, friends, physical activity, school work/research, quiet time/meditation, and reading. 

Until I join you again, please visit my new challenge. Don't be strangers. You are welcome anytime.

• Like 2