• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Manarelle

Manarelle multi-classes

On 9/24/2018 at 11:05 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I should probably categorize my activities like this.  There are some things I want to do, but in reality they are not a high enough priority to actually happen.  I need to just admit to myself that they are second tier hobbies and not worry about making sure I get to all of them.

This makes too much sense. I'm not sure how I feel about making this. All of my hobbies are of the utmost importance. Obviously. Right?

• Like 3

On 9/26/2018 at 1:34 PM, Grumble said:

This makes too much sense. I'm not sure how I feel about making this. All of my hobbies are of the utmost importance. Obviously. Right?

Tchah, obviously. :) It took a bunch of years (and a master's degree) for me to realize I'll make more progress on specific hobbies if I limit them, and even then, it took me a couple years to narrow it down. Some people can be brilliant at everything they do; I am not one of them. 

Sh!tty, emotional update:

Spoiler

Today has not been a good day. The Kavanaugh process is everywhere, and seeing/hearing people belittle and badmouth his accuser(s) makes me relive my traumatic experiences, and the shame and loneliness that followed. I've been trying to avoid it, while still being concerned about the outcome, but not letting it get to me. Last night, though, I realized that I kept running through my own experiences, trying to find words that would adequately express them... the linguist in me hoping I could find the right words to show detractors and victim blames what their words and actions to do people who've been through it. Obviously, that's never going to happen, but I couldn't turn my brain off (and gastric issues from a questionable meal didn't help me shut my brain off and get to sleep, either). 

I woke up after 4ish hours of sleep, not really wanting to get out of bed and deal with anything. I knew the hearing would be everywhere, and didn't want to face it, my own emotions, and people asking about my reactions. I managed to avoid the morning newspaper in the breakroom, but then the CFO of the company was listening to a livestream of the hearing during lunch, and I had to take my stuff and walk out. Unfortunately, since that's very out of character for me, people asked why later, and I'm shit at controlling my face or my voice on that topic, so yay awkwardness and embarrassment for everyone. 

Way more positive update:

The house is mostly clean, just need to go through winter clothes and then the indoor cleaning is done. Outdoor fall cleanup/ winterizing has been on hold because we had some sort of winged something living in a stack of felt pots under the porch. I finally got in touch with a local beekeeper who came out to relocate (not exterminate) them. He said it'd be free if they were honeybees, but he'd still rehome them if they weren't. Just got a call, turns out they were some form of wasp (the nice ones, they would just buzz around us and leave us alone when we were on the porch), so that's a cost I wasn't planning on, but I feel better for not killing pollinators, so yay. This also means that I can start garden/ yard cleanup for the winter, and close in under the porch so my gentleman can smoke and I can do smelly craft stuff during the winter. 

This weekend is both my gentleman's birthday and the local comiccon, so we'll be pulling out our last-year's jedi/sith outfits for it. I don't expect to get a lot done over the weekend, but it's been a productive week, so I'm okay with that. Tracking has been going well, although emotional and gastric issues yesterday meant more carbs, less protein - why can't that be the other way around - but I was only 17 calories over, so meh. Today is back on track for a win. 

• Like 6

Spoiler

I did a whole lot of avoiding today as well - much to the chagrin of some fellow ladies I have been commiserating with this week, but my take away is that we all need to handle these situations in our own way. Some people need to use their voices loudly, others need to take space and reflect and get passed it. I hope don't feel that you need to apologize in anyway, for whatever your needs were today, and know that you are not alone <3

Also yay for getting stuff done and back on track! The days have a way of rolling on :) 

• Like 2

Spoiler

/hugs. Thanks for that. I do have a decent group of supporters, and we all helped each other make it through the day, but... not fun. Don't feel the need to apologize, just wish I had a better poker face. 

Couldn't figure out why my weapons safe wouldn't open - it's been having issues for the past few months and I never took the time to sort it out (also means I haven't practiced in that time, oops!). Turns out low batteries give just enough juice to take the code, but not to unblock the physical latch. That's sorted, and all of the fall cleaning is done (shoves craft area spillovers under the bed - we won't talk about that). I'm set for winter as far as clothes and boots go and (almost) everything is clean and neatly put away. We'll see how long that lasts. For a crap start, today has closed out pretty well. 

Edit: surprised myself with getting my chin over the chin-up bar for my end-of-workout chin-up attempt. That's a first.

• Like 5

Up and down weekend. Got to go to Baltimore Comicon, but due to a scheduling misunderstanding, we didn't have time to cosplay. Ended up being not a bad thing, because it was packed, and we were there for 8+ hours, but still. Got home too late to do anything on other hobbies. Sunday morning was nice, so I put a final coat of sealer on Mjolnir, then went out to do domestics. Came back to find there was just enough wind to knock it over, and two corners were messed up. Sanded them down, re-painted, re-sealed, it didn't look horrible. That evening, I handed it to my gentleman for his opinion, and he accidentally dropped it... Turns out the clearcoat is too rigid, and will crack at any pressure on the edges. Since there is no way I could make it through a day without intentionally or accidentally hitting something (or someone) with it, that's not going to work. Better to know now, but it was rather disheartening. 

On the up side, I started shaping the chestpiece, which needs some modifications, but is coming along quite well (for now. I'm sure the paint issue will arise again). I should probably give some thought to how to close it at some point... 

2ef30fb7-6c1c-451b-a193-0e90c1dd700c-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds  b18174b2-ddb3-41a2-b67e-9040590c8ccc-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds 

• Like 4

Mjolnir's been ground down, somewhat inexpertly. I'll run a sanding block over it to clean up loose bits before resealing it, then it'll probably be on hold until I get an airbrush kit to play with. :( 

26de77a5-b4d3-471d-ac45-8030a691623b-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds 

In completely unrelated news, and another noob warrior question: is it a known thing that, when you stop expressly focusing on a given muscle group, it aches until you start working it again? There have been a couple times, when I switch up my routine, that less-used muscles ache until I work them back into being used. It also happens if I skip workouts (which, as a result, is extremely rare); I'll be overall sore until I work out again. Not like debilitating sore, more like reverse DOMS. Curious what the logic behind that is. 

• Like 3

Week 3 update:

• Exercise: Couldn't motivate myself to do cardio on off nights, but did get weights and PT done all week. 
  • Languages: Yup.
  • Thermoplastics: Mjolnir and chestplate worked on.

Side goals:

• Shorthand: nada, but that's ok.
  • Nutrition: was a good week, only two days over calories and each day by less than 100 calories, so still under maintenance levels. 
  • Wardrobe cleaning: done.
  • Kitchen/ cupboard cleaning: done. 

The past week was not good, emotionally speaking. I still managed to get some stuff done, but it was much harder than usual. Thanks to help from the gentleman, I was able to pull myself out of it, and realize that seasonal depression is probably setting in again, so the weekend wasn't a total loss. I've been saying for over a decade that I should probably take steps to counter winter depression, but usually by the time I realize it's happening, I'm too bummed to do anything about it. This time, I've ordered a lamp and indoor plant hangers to combat it, and we'll see if that helps. 

Thermoplastics was slightly positive this week. I got the paint off Mjolnir, but then when I tried to even out the edges where the plasti-dip had torn, it somehow wrapped itself around the dremel and tore half of the whole layer off. I ended up pulling everything off and starting over with a new layer of plasti-dip, and honestly, it doesn't look horrible without the paint. I'd still like to try using an airbrush to make it look less monotone, but it's still recognizable. I got the chestpiece to a decent shape, then found (and tweaked) a gorget pattern to make it look closer to the source outfit. I think the next step for that is going to be sanding the texture off the eva foam, and I'm not sure the best way to do that just yet, so we'll see. 

The excitement of the weekend was that we borrowed a power washer from a friend and cleaned off the front and back porches, oooh ahhh. I also started winterizing the garden, and cleaned out a lot of unused garden stuff, meaning under the porch will be much clearer (and hopefully usable for crafting in cold weather). 

Before (plus Mjolnir, drying):                                                                            After (minus excess pots):

90d93b6e-ab69-4efd-938a-ef8f717536de-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds  89350899-ccf5-4e24-bfa4-f0b2b0d5c5a6-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds 

It didn't seem like the concrete was all that dirty, until we started cleaning:

11236e83-9e29-4da6-bee3-13f0b1a02d41-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds 

Very satisfying end to the week, and a positive note to start the last week of the challenge on. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Manarelle said:

The past week was not good, emotionally speaking. I still managed to get some stuff done, but it was much harder than usual. Thanks to help from the gentleman, I was able to pull myself out of it, and realize that seasonal depression is probably setting in again, so the weekend wasn't a total loss. I've been saying for over a decade that I should probably take steps to counter winter depression, but usually by the time I realize it's happening, I'm too bummed to do anything about it. This time, I've ordered a lamp and indoor plant hangers to combat it, and we'll see if that helps. 

<snip> 

The excitement of the weekend was that we borrowed a power washer from a friend and cleaned off the front and back porches, oooh ahhh.

Mana! I'm clueless but I finally found your challenge. 

I feel you on the emotional exhaustion and hope it gets better soon. Congrats on ordering the lamp and the plants. I lived in a SAD-prone place for close to 15 years and never really addressed it for that same reason. 

Also, I never knew what a power washer could do! That's magical! 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 1:52 PM, Manarelle said:

Tchah, obviously. :) It took a bunch of years (and a master's degree) for me to realize I'll make more progress on specific hobbies if I limit them, and even then, it took me a couple years to narrow it down. Some people can be brilliant at everything they do; I am not one of them. 

It's taken me too long to get caught up on this thread. This little gem of wisdom would really have benefited me a few years ago...

• Like 2

On 10/8/2018 at 5:43 PM, traaki said:

Mana! I'm clueless but I finally found your challenge. 

I feel you on the emotional exhaustion and hope it gets better soon. Congrats on ordering the lamp and the plants. I lived in a SAD-prone place for close to 15 years and never really addressed it for that same reason. 

Also, I never knew what a power washer could do! That's magical! 

Hello again! Yes, I'm hiding this challenge. Mu hu. Ha ha. The emotions have improved, in part by not having reminders shoved in my face all day every day, and in part by dealing with them a bit more. Apparently, I wasn't as done with that as I thought. The lamp is magical. They've come down in price, and I cannot recommend it enough. Make like Nike and just do it this year. 

22 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

It's taken me too long to get caught up on this thread. This little gem of wisdom would really have benefited me a few years ago...

No worries. And yeah, I wish I'd sorted that when I was in my 20s... Oh well, better late than never, eh?

So I hit a point with the chestpiece where it doesn't quite fit, and the next step (assuming it did fit) would be to grind all the pattern off the outside. I'm not sure how to do that without flattening it all out again, and making it fit better would probably involve a fair bit of cutting out small pieces and re-gluing it, waiting 2 hours for the glue to set, and checking if that worked or not. I was browsing various cosplay sites the other day, sort of stymied as to what to do next, and discovered a store in the US that sells 1/4" thick, untextured EVA foam in 2'x3' sheets, rather than the 1/2" thick, heavily textured floor mat tiles which is what the current prototype is made of. Much as I hate to scrap 11.65 hours of work, I think the overall result would be much better if I did. This has not been a productive month for thermoplastics, but it has been informative. 

edf25659-3300-4683-81f5-92de91f686e5-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds 

• Like 6

Week 4/ Final reckoning:

• Exercise: Good month. Increased some weights, decreased two to correct bad form, and finally did over-the-bar chin-ups. 
  • Languages: Plugging along.
  • Thermoplastics:As mentioned above, not productive, but informative.Lessons learned. 

Secondary goals:

• Shorthand: Tried it, it looks interesting, but it's back on the back burner for now. 
  • Nutrition: Dropped from maintenance to minor deficit, and was able to up protein and still feel well fed. Will keep this level for a while.
  • Cleaning: House is cleaned, concrete is cleaned, auctions of cleaned-out stuff posted, very happy with this. 

Overall, a good challenge. Maybe not as productive as I'd like, but I definitely feel improved and have plans for going forward.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Manarelle said:

• Thermoplastics:As mentioned above, not productive, but informative.Lessons learned. 

Informative leads to productive though.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2018 at 12:35 PM, Manarelle said:

Apparently, I wasn't as done with that as I thought. The lamp is magical. They've come down in price, and I cannot recommend it enough. Make like Nike and just do it this year. 

Well, I eventually just moved to a Very Sunny Place but I will totally keep it in mind anyway. And possibly spread the gospel among my northern friends!! 

• Like 1