• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elennare

Elennare does way too many things!

I will come back and update this later, but I just want to get something written down to start thinking about stuff.

Vacation is coming up soon (roughly a week after the challenge ends, I think). So I've got 5-6 weeks to lose the weight I wanted to before the trip. That's not going to happen, but I still want to lose as much as I can before then. And we need to actually plan the trip. It's already delayed a week from when we wanted to go due to unavailability of relatives to watch the boys, and I'm worried if it gets pushed back any further we'll have crappy weather for it.

Also, Halloween is coming up, which means I need to be making costumes for me and the boys. I'm going to be Gamora, no idea what the boys are going to be.

We're also in the middle of moving to a new house. The movers are coming on the 18th, but we've got a lot of work to do to get the house ready and the apartment packed up before then, and we'll have to unpack and get settled in the new place, and finish anything we didn't actually get done ahead of time.

Little One has started school, so now we've got everything that goes along with having 2 kids in 2 different schools to juggle.

And roller derby has (finally!) started back up, so I'll be having 2-3 (or more if I'm feeling particularly crazy) practices a week.

And I want to keep up with the weight lifting over started doing, because it helps with roller derby and weight loss, and I want to get back into yoga as well, and I need to start adding in some more cardio for derby because I need to get faster (and what's really holding me back from that is lack of endurance to hold the stance I need to go fast for as long as I need to).

Oh yeah, and I still have a full time job, with the ever-present possibility of sudden overtime.

Holy crap that is a lot! I know stuff is going to fall through the cracks, so I guess this is going to be a challenge about keeping as many plates in the air as I can. Nothing will be pretty, but maybe, just maybe, I won't end up with a bunch of broken pottery.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 1:07 AM, @mu said:

Full on! But so many exciting things coming up!

I am apparently incapable of doing things by half. :)

Been thinking about how to organize this so it's actually trackable and has real goals.  I think I'm going to assign each thing a plate color, and keep of list of which plates I'm currently juggling and whether it's actually being juggled or has been dropped.  I'll pretty it up in a day or two, but for now, plates that need to be juggled are: roller derby, calorie goals, school stuff, moving, and sleep.  Also, so far in zero week, all of those are still in the air.  Sleep is starting to slip, but I haven't dropped it yet.

Had my second real practice last night.  I have a better idea of what I need to work on (endurance and plow stops) and I'm starting to remember how to skate on the track.  Which is good, because my next practice (on Sunday) is where I need to prove I can skate safely enough to be allowed to scrimmage.  It shouldn't be an issue, but I'm still nervous.  Especially since the second chance we get (Tuesday) probably isn't going to happen, because we're moving then.  So chances are good I won't be able to make it to practice, and if somehow I could, I would almost certainly be too tired to skate well.  So, Sunday it is, or wait a whole month (I do NOT like that option).

Staying within my calorie goals this week.  Yesterday I was maybe a bit too low on calories, given I tanked at practice.  I have competing priorities for my calorie goals right now.  I want to lose a decent bit of weight quickly, but I also want to keep my sports performance up.  I think the compromise is going to have to be try to eat a bit less on non-practice days, and eat ALL THE THINGS on practice days.

Almost got all the immediate school stuff sorted out.  Which is good, since I'll be able to put that plate down for a bit and pick up the "cooking breakfast in the mornings and packing lunches before bed" plate instead.

Moving preparations continue apace.  I'll be honest, during the week most of this has been Husband, but we've got a giant list of things to do this weekend.  The new house is getting close to painted and things at the apartment are starting to be all packed up.  Yay partner juggling!

Sleep is...as it's been.  I am SO looking forward to getting to sleep in my new bed next week.  Hoping it'll improve the quality of sleep I'm getting.  Most days this week I've actually managed to get close to 8 hours, they're just 8 crappy hours.  And last night I got to bed late because practice.  And shower.  Couldn't skip that one. :)  I was so sweaty my entire braid was damp and I was leaving puddles on the warehouse floor when I sat down (ew.).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Elennare said:

Sleep is...as it's been.  I am SO looking forward to getting to sleep in my new bed next week.  Hoping it'll improve the quality of sleep I'm getting.  Most days this week I've actually managed to get close to 8 hours, they're just 8 crappy hours.  And last night I got to bed late because practice.  And shower.  Couldn't skip that one. :)  I was so sweaty my entire braid was damp and I was leaving puddles on the warehouse floor when I sat down (ew.).

Isn't that a lovely feeling? Or you brush up against something and leave a sweat mark on it and feel just vile. Still, means you worked hard. Good luck on the move, sounds like it's going well and you're prepped for it. 

Whelp, sleep is a shattered mess on the floor.  Did not sleep well last night, and got woken up around 3:30 because one of the little boys had an accident. :(  Guess I'll grab a new plate to juggle tonight?

And, in a spectacular display of good decision making, rather than continue working on packing (which needs to be done), Husband and I have decided that when I get home from work we're going to go browse the local pop-up Halloween store.  For decorations for the new house.  Yeah, totally doing that to work on settling in and make it ours, and not because we need a break we probably don't really have time for and Halloween stuff is fun.  Yep.  Not slacking off at all... :P

• Like 1

Plate categories (I hope this works right)

Vacation planning

image.thumb.png.88bb0cbaab7b7690f5c7493510ac4833.png

Weight loss/water/calorie tracking

image.thumb.png.485600e7abdafc3dceaf8f883fd4ea5c.png

Roller Derby/exercise

image.thumb.png.45313f50b17f0b3daaca686938f2e5b3.png

No comments about this choice, unless it's to say it's awesome.  I couldn't find a plate with a roller skate on it, and searching for "roller skate plates" turns up something very different (a piece of skate hardware).

Moving

image.thumb.png.5abb87cd249950466e18876573303ad3.png

School Stuff

image.thumb.png.5d0877581a8f1a10660e4b1eed31f584.png

Sleep

image.thumb.png.e318a2aca8351698deb38a13d8d31563.png

Halloween Costumes

image.thumb.png.1e1641dfbffd5d05e48a6630759674aa.png

image.png

Edit: nope, didn't work right.  I have no idea why it added this giant picture at the bottom, and it won't let me get rid of it!  Sorry.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2018 at 7:25 PM, Elennare said:

Edit: nope, didn't work right.  I have no idea why it added this giant picture at the bottom, and it won't let me get rid of it!  Sorry.

Perhaps it's trying to tell you that the sleep plate didn't not fall and shatter, but instead fell, hit the floor, and bounced back up, ready for you to grab it again. Everybody has off days/ weeks/ months; it's still there to pick back up and try again. 

• Haha 1

sleep.png.fe9abe0190f436dbe35628bedd1d8dbd.png

Got slightly more sleep over the weekend.  So that's good, even if it wasn't great sleep.

moving.png.2a885041385274cfcfd9327e9ad9820b.png

Finished painting the new house.  We're about halfway packed up, and are now pretty much at the stage of "throw stuff in boxes."  Which should get most of our stuff ready to go, and what's not ready we can move ourselves.  I'm going to go clean the new house tonight so things are ready for us to move in tomorrow.

school.png.fd4b3eaff1adca610bab3975bd44006d.png

Almost done with the school stuff we need to get done now(ish).  Then comes the fun part, starting Wednesday, of figuring out a new morning routine and what time we need to leave to get kids to school on time.  Yay...

weight.png.d730ea3b5b468d107fce4a5485deb509.png

Down a 1/4 lb over zero week.  Which given I had a few days of "f it" for my calorie goal, is not bad. 

derby.png.320c0b0a990183a4d93fe1eec9a0097e.png

Was almost late to practice, but made it on the track about 30 seconds before practice started.  Which meant I didn't have any time to warm up before we started (with the warm up), which was unfortunate because the warm up was going over skills for getting track cleared.  So, definitely not my best display of my skating ability.  However, I did well enough, apparently, because I am now track cleared (means I can scrimmage)!  Skated just fine after warm up, though.

• Like 1

Just now, Manarelle said:

Perhaps it's trying to tell you that the sleep plate didn't not fall and shatter, but instead fell, hit the floor, and bounced back up, ready for you to grab it again. Everybody has off days/ weeks/ months; it's still there to pick back up and try again. 

I like that!  One more night and I get to sleep in my new bed, which I'm hoping will help a lot.

• Like 1

Very little sleep last night, but the new house is mostly all cleaned and we are mostly all packed!

I wanted to clean the kitchen counters, but there was too much stuff sitting on them and it got too late to move it, didn't clean the walls in the closet under the stairs, and ran out of mop juice with one floor unmopped, but otherwise I got everything done I had planned to.

There's still a bunch of random little stuff unpacked (and most of the kitchen) in the apartment, but all the big stuff and most of the other stuff is ready to go. Everything that's not packed will be relatively easy for us to move ourselves, which we can do no problem because we have the apartment until the end of the month. Also it means the movers won't take as long, which is nice because they charge by the hour.

Looking forward to being done with the move. Almost there!

• Like 1

Hope you have a couple days off after the move to just sleep and relax. "Mop juice" does not sound tasty, and boo for running out early. Grats on getting (almost) everything sorted though, and the extra overlap time will be nice - take some of the pressure off the "move/ clean/ omg what's going on" chaos. Good luck.

How do I celebrate moving into the new house? By getting sick, apparently.

Little One has had a mild cold for a bit, and Husband and I both caught it. Husband feels sick, but doesn't seem to be too bad. I've been knocked on my ass to the tune of this is my second sick day and I don't remotely think that was the wrong decision. I'll probably go back to work tomorrow, based on how I'm currently feeling. At least I'm getting caught up on my sleep.

The new bed is nice. I can't really say if I've been sleeping better yet, because sick, but at least I'm not waking up with my back hurting anymore!

So about all those plates...pile of broken pieces on the ground. I crashed and burned this week.

We are sort of moved into the new house. I mean, we're living here, and it's great, but most of our stuff is still in boxes. We still have a bunch of stuff at the apartment, including most of the kitchen things. Just got the range installed today, but it still needs to be cleaned before we can use it. Plus, we've been sick.

So, nothing has been getting done, definitely haven't been exercising, everything we've been eating is either takeout or microwave stuff (we don't even have the coffee maker yet!), and my sleep hasn't been as good as I had hoped. Not sure if it's mostly because I'm sick, or if I don't actually like the new bed.

*sigh* I'd say I'm starting over with week 2, but I'm still a bit sick and need to take it easy for another day or two (and hopefully not more).

There's no way I'm meeting my short-term weight loss goal (I don't want to know how much I've gained back this week, which is good, because I can't find out anyway, because who knows where my scale is), though I'm starting to wonder if we're actually going to go on the vacation that goal was for, so maybe it won't matter. :(

Also, I am one box away from limit break, and really am only not there already because I used a bunch of my willpower, and am currently pretty much done with everything, so probably don't take my complaining about everything too seriously.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Sounds like it's time to bring out the self-care broom and dustpan... /hugs and wellness wishes to you all. 

That would be nice, but unfortunately all I've got time for right now is to push the pieces into the corner so no one gets cut and get back to work.  Because, kids have to get to school even when parents are sick (and, the fact that both boys have to be at two separate schools in opposite directions from the house, at the same time, means even when I was staying home from work because I was sick, I still had to get up early to take a kid to work).

I am mostly better today, though still all brain-foggy.  We are rather quickly running out of time to get all our stuff out of the apartment, so that's going to be the focus of the next couple days.  Just, not tonight.  Because it's the skate night fundraiser for Little Bug's school.  So, the boys and I are going roller skating.  Then the next couple days getting stuff out of the apartment and cleaning the carpet (and then we're doing with that, yay!), then Fri, Sat, and Sun all have roller derby or I'm not making my attendance requirements for the month.  Then it's October.

October, the focus will be on fitting costume making and vacation planning around derby and school.  I think we've got all the school stuff figured out, actually.  And if we don't yet, we will by October.  The boys costumes have been chosen, I still have no idea for me.  Because the inconsiderate people at work have changed their minds on what to do.  I'm giving them until the end of this week to pick something, or I'm not doing the group costume thing.

Sleep...will be what it is.  I will try to get to sleep on time, but honestly, the quality of my sleep has been so bad lately it doesn't seem to really matter if I'm in bed for 5 hours or 10 hours. :(  The new bed is helping a bit, maybe, but I'm still not sold on it.  We might be returning it.  It felt a lot nicer in the store than it does in our house, and the fancy self-adjusting feature that is supposed to help you sleep better kept changing my side to something that made my back hurt, so I've turned that off.  *sigh*  Some day I will sleep well again.  Today is not that day, unfortunately.

I've got 4 weeks until (theoretical) vacation.  Acting on the assumption that it will turn into actual vacation, I am going to try extra hard to lose some weight before then.  Borrowing somewhat from the old NF Academy "get fit quick" plan, I have set my new calorie goal at 1710 calories/day, and will (be trying to) not eat back my exercise calories.  I am also going to do my best to avoid grains and added sugar and eat vegetables as the base of all my meals.  The non-calorie counting part of that is going to be rough this week, because we still have no food in the house and haven't had a chance to go buy any, but I'll do what I can.

Been close on my calories (but on the high side of close, unfortunately) most of the week.  My idea of what to eat has been right out the window.  Yesterday, Aunt Flo came to visit, and I ate whatever sounded good.  For my mental health, I chose not to track any of it.  Honestly, all this week it's been a fight to not inhale every sweet in sight (and some that aren't), but I mostly won.  On the up side, I at least balanced out some of that by getting the last things out of the apartment and cleaning it.  Ended up with over 11k steps yesterday.  Turning in the keys to the apartment today (huzzah!) and getting our stuff out of the storage unit on Wednesday.  Most of our shelving is in the storage unit, so we've decided to hold off on most of the unpacking until we get all that.  And now the derby crazy weekend starts.  I'm going to die, because I haven't been drinking enough water (or any beverage) for at least a week, and I just want to go to sleep.  On the up side, I have been sleeping slightly better, so there's that at least.

• Like 1

3 derby practices in 3 days. I'm not dead, actually. Very tired, and sore, but not dead. Almost fell out of the track on Friday, which was a thing. Have a nice bruise on my shin just above my ankle where it landed on the kick rail while I was basically kneeling in space. My shoulder is sore from catching all my weight as I hooked it on the rail to not fall onto the ground.

Calories have been good the last few days, maybe even on the low side, but I haven't really been tracking.

Got a nap in today, which was nice. Maybe sleeping slightly better?

We got out of the apartment with surprisingly little fuss/late nights, which is awesome and not how it normally goes.

Had something else to comment on, but now I've forgotten what it was, so I'm going to go take a shower and go to bed.

• Like 1

Busy busy. Congrats on being out of the old house and living through the derby weekend. Here's to the sleeping better continuing. Hopefully no surprises in the new house? 

• Like 1

Thanks!  No surprises beyond the typical sorts of things one finds when actually beginning to live in a new place vs just looking at it.  Like...why did they put multiple plugs in the middle of the wall in the living room, in the most sensible place to set up a tv and all that, on a light switch over by the front door?!?

I found my scale.  Going to wait until Monday to actually weigh in, though.  Hopefully progress?

The derby crazy hasn't really slowed down, just spaced itself a tad bit more.  Practice tonight, maybe practice on Thursday, and a scrimmage against another team on Saturday.  Except the other team, from out of state, had people not able to make it, so I'll be skating with the other team!  And I need a pink shirt with my number on it.  Guess what color shirt I do not have, because I generally despise it?  If you guessed pink, you'd be right.  Guess what color tank top, previously everywhere, is suddenly impossible to find?  If you guessed pink, you'd be right. :ambivalence:

In-laws are coming to help us finish getting settled in the new house.  I have slightly mixed feelings about that.  I really appreciate the help, but they are tall, and tend not to think about short people issues when deciding where to put things.  And they have a real tendency to make executive decisions about where things go or what to do with stuff which drives me nuts.  But we're getting the things from the storage unit delivered tomorrow, so it'll be very nice to have another couple sets of hands to help with that and wrangling the boys, especially since I'll be at work.

As much as I want to eat better, food has found itself at the bottom of the priority list again (doesn't help that most of our pots and pans and such are still packed up), and I kind of feel like I'm just trying to survive and actually making any progress on anything health related is on hold until we're fully moved in.  How do people do this while still having a life?  Or do "normal" people typically take a couple days off from life to focus just on unpacking and putting things away?

• Like 1

Ah, logic. Grats on getting to skate, is that typical to just trade off players? How's that going to be, skating against your own team? Good luck with the shirt issue... I'm with you on the color opinion. 

FWIW, my gentleman basically puts everything (sometimes including eating) on hold to unpack and set up the house. I've moved so many times (military kid) that I usually put things away as I need them: first get the furniture in the right place, then put boxes in generally the right room/ area, and unpack as you go. Everybody's different. If you're feeling overwhelmed and in survival mode, then focus on getting that sorted, and just do your best with food without beating yourself up. Guilt, in this instance, is not your friend. 

5 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Ah, logic. Grats on getting to skate, is that typical to just trade off players? How's that going to be, skating against your own team? Good luck with the shirt issue... I'm with you on the color opinion.

For all I know, it's actually been wired that way since the 60s, but still.  Makes no sense. :)

For an actual bout, no, you wouldn't trade players.  While this is an inter-league game, it's technically a scrimmage, and trading players to balance teams in a scrimmage isn't that uncommon.  I haven't been skating with my current league very long, so I don't really know how anyone else skates yet.  And, for us at least, the team is a mash-up of different level skaters (some teamed skaters, some ready to be but not yet teamed skaters, and possibly a couple high-level fresh meat) and I don't think they've practiced as a team.  I certainly haven't practiced with them as a team.  So, either way, it'll pretty much be like a drop-in scrimmage for me!  Found a possibility for a shirt on Amazon.  It's been ordered, but I'm also going to try to see what the stores have.

• Like 1

Well, as much as I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels and not making any progress, I am currently sitting at my desk at work wearing a nice pair of work slacks that I haven't worn since before the boys were born.  I think.  Maybe I wore them a bit in between the boys, but it's been like 5 years minimum since I fit in them.  Still a tad on the snug side, but very wearable.  So, ya know, there's that.

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bb6354659654d4f2e

• Like 1

Let me get the griping out of the way first, then on to the good stuff.

Ow.  My everything is so sore right now.  Mostly my hips/butt, but everything is a bit sore.  And I'm exhausted.  Apparently I'm once again sensitive enough to caffeine that if I have a cup after like 2:30 in the afternoon I can't sleep.  And Little One is sick...again.  So we got woken up multiple times last night with him coughing and not being able to breathe.  Which was fun.  A bunch of people at work have been sick, too, and I can't get sick because I'm supposed to be going to visit a kid in the hospital on Saturday (cuz she's really into derby and her parents/doctors thought it would help cheer her up if some derby girls came to visit).  And also can't get sick because getting sick sucks.

In the last 4 days I made myself go to two practices I didn't particularly feel like going to, because that's what you do when you want to get better at the thing and also when you are trying to get in shape.  So that's a win.  I effectively play a bout on Saturday (which is why I didn't want to go to one of those practices).  We had enough people for two lines of blockers plus a 3-jammer rotation.  They brought 3 jammers with them, but their jammers also wanted a chance to work on blocking, so each quarter we had two of their jammers and one LADD sub as a jammer.  I jammed second quarter, and did really well.  Also, for the entire game I was out on the track every other jam, except for the second quarter when it was every 3rd jam, which sounds like it's more rest, but not really, because jamming is hard.  We won, by a lot, and that team was really fun to skate with.  It was a nice reminder of why I put up with all the crap and make myself go to practice even when I don't want to.  Also it was nice to have people from LADD telling me I did a really good job.  Probably because they are all expecting me to play like someone who is brand new to the game, but it was still nice to have a chance to show off a little bit.

One of those practices I dragged myself to, I got a suggestion from the coach on something to try to help with my plow stops.  It worked.  I still have a ton of work to do unlearning my bad habits and relearning the right ones, but I'm not fighting my skates any more, and will soon have my plow stop back!  This is huge, because not being able to plow stop (or do anything that involved digging in my edge) is one of the biggest things holding me back, aside from generally being out of shape.

The out of shape part is changing slowly, as well.  I forgot to take my name off the list for practice last night when I found out I was skating on Saturday, and since I bailed on Tuesday's practice, I didn't want to skip that one as well.  We did the 27-in-5 at the start of practice.  I ended up just under the number of laps I got last time, which I will take given how tired my legs still were.  I am certain I would have gotten more had I not hit a wall 5 laps in (figuratively, not literally).

And finally, as of this morning, I am down 1.4 lbs from 2 weeks ago.  This puts me 0.4 lbs away from being 10 lbs down from where I was when I started tracking calories about 5 months ago!

• Like 1

How is it only Wednesday?  Also, how is it the middle of the last week of this challenge?  I have no idea where the time went.  Looking back over this challenge (so far, I know it's not quite done yet), things have actually gone pretty well.  However, vacation planning and Halloween costumes have fallen through the cracks.  I think we're going to have to give up on the idea of vacation, because 1.5 weeks is not sufficient time to make that happen.  I also think I'm refusing to accept that, because I will probably be a mess if I do.  Still got time to get the costumes done if I start working now.  Since the group costume idea at work fell through, I'm debating between doing Morticia Addams and D.C. Bombshells Wonder Woman.  I guess we'll see which I can find stuff for easier?

I didn't go to practice yesterday, because I thought I was coming down with Little One's cold(?).  Had a slightly runny nose all day that was turning into a sore throat, and was super tired (and coffee did nothing).  Took some zinc and laid down when I got home, but didn't quite nap.  Felt significantly better after that.  I also think in all the crazy that's been this year, my body is starting to try to forcefully insist that I revert to my natural circadian rhythm.  This is an issue, because it does NOT fit with what my schedule needs to be.

A team I've been a part of at work got nominated for an internal quality award of some sort.  We were selected as a finalist.  Apparently they want to do a little video "trailer" about our project.  Filming was supposed to be yesterday, so I actually did my hair nice and put on makeup and fake nails.  It got rescheduled yesterday morning.  So, dressed up nice again today.  Except, I am an idiot and it got rescheduled for tomorrow, not today.  So, I will be dressing up nice tomorrow again.  At least I can wear the shirt I really wanted to wear for it, I guess.  I've also been (sort of) wanting to up my "looking professional" game and have been toying with starting to wear makeup to work regularly.  Part of why I haven't done so is because of a concern that people would comment on it and ask me why I'm all dressed up.  Guess I have proof now that that won't happen!

• Like 1

Well grats on the mad skating schedule, and yay on improving. That's a good sign, that you didn't realize so much of the challenge had passed; means you're just bopping along in your new groove (until a cold comes to take it out). Hope you kick the sickness before it becomes a full-blown thing. Are you feeling fancy and dressy again today?