• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

tenor.gif?itemid=5991202

Fall is fast approaching, it's getting darker and rainier and I'm slowly getting the urge to go find an nice cozy cave to hibernate in. :) But instead I'm going to embrace the change of season by channeling three oh so trendy Scandinavian concepts, Finnish sisu, Danish hygge and Swedish lagom. ;) 

lifestyles-to-live-by-finland-620x434.jp

• Go outside in nature, even when it's cold and rainy
  • Be brave and keep up with morning swims for as long as possible
  • Fight the schnooze, keep up with morning movement
  • Don't avoid hard stuff (like potential job applications)

giphy.gif

simpsonsbed.gif

• Make my house more enjoyable - fix the things that annoy me, replace plants I killed, make kitchen more enjoyable place to cook etc
  • Reduce phone/laptop usage, cozy up with a book instead, or even a hobby thing
  • Cook and eat food that makes me happy and content

giphy.gif

Not my strong suit for sure. :P 

• Keep up with Nerdwarts classes (backbends, handstands, climbing) but with a more consistent workload. (I wanted to add plan a deload, but I might be forced to because my forearm niggle is now forcing me to take at least the day off)
  • Do some prehab work/Cirque Physio
  • Start work on unfucking my eating habits (more on this later) and start eating in a more balanced way. Read intuitive eating. 

Similarly to last time these "goals" are pretty fluid in content, it's more about the mindset. I'm planning on keeping this a two month challenge, but will see. It's all an experiment. :)

SuUE.gif

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Arkania said:

Hygge <3

Great theme for fall!

Such a lovely concept. :) 

1 minute ago, @mu said:

Seconding, great theme! So what do you predict? Lagom might be the hardest?

Haha lagom has definitely been a nemesis of mine. :P It's also a concept that I don't necessarily agree with, I think too much lagom makes life bland and that there are times when "more is more" otherwise nothing really interesting gets done. But it does come at a cost.

Sisu is also quite challenging for me. I often just avoid doing the hard thing. And when I do do them I'm not always stoic - quite the opposite, I throw tantrums left and right, at least in climbing. :D But I would like to cultivate some more of it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, annyshay said:

Cool theme. :)

Thanks!

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Neat challenge :)  Also, I just learned two new Scandi concepts I had not heard of before (I had heard of Sisu)

Something to add to your list of learning. ;) 

3 hours ago, Jittersthe.Clown said:

latest?cb=20130621182419

I am so on board with watching you kick some butt, Hatter. 

tumblr_nkca48wvWI1u8zbnco1_500.gif

Yay Jitters!

1 hour ago, zenLara said:

Such a cool theme. I love it!

fall animated gif

:) 

Turns out this challenge was perfectly timed. :) This evening felt like proper fall for the first time this year - cold, rainy, dark and windy. The transition from summer feels rather drastic this year!

Honestly it already feels like it's going to get rough... Or maybe it was because today felt particularly weird. I really struggled with getting going, it was like I never quite woke up. Sometimes that happens on my remote days - I think I need to stick to my regular schedule to prevent everything from getting wonky. Most importantly putting on clothes and going outside even for a few minutes. And eating at my regular times... And music!

Today also felt off because I decided not to climb and instead give my forearm a chance to heal... It feels ok doing most things, including climbing, but I keep doing something during the night that has been causing me to wake up in a lot of pain in the middle of the night and that's preventing healing. :( I tried to wrap it one night but it only made it worse, so yesterday I resorted to taking anti-inflammatories so that I could at least sleep for a whole night. But I think it just needs a few days of rest. Lame. :P 

SISU I went outside? :P Twice! Just for 30-40 min walks to the shop and back, but still. The second time was particularly miserable outside and not just that, but my flip flop slipped out from under my foot so I fell on the concrete and grazed my knee... But instead of bailing on my walk and heading to the closer shop I thought, "well, that sucked, but it probably won't get any worse" so I kept on going. And it ended up oddly enjoyable. Mostly because I stomped in all the puddles. :D 

HYGGE The nice thing about bad weather outside is coming back inside to a nice cup of tea and a book. :) 
LAGOM Hmm, today was too low on.. everything. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

The nice thing about bad weather outside is coming back inside to a nice cup of tea and a book

I love it when the wheather's been crappy all day, and you come back home to notice the warmth and the smell of that yummy bone broth simmering in the kitchen...

14 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

cold, rainy, dark and windy

And you were wearing flip flops? :blink:

• Like 1

You know you found your tribe when everyone gets excited about puddle stomping! :D 

On 9/12/2018 at 12:10 PM, zenLara said:

And you were wearing flip flops? :blink:

Well yeah. Better for puddles. ;) Also I find that as long as my core is warm the rest follows.

19 hours ago, MikeW said:

Ooooh, love your challenge theme!!! Totally here (sporadically) for it, and probably will steal 2-3 concepts for my own challenge!

Steal away! :D 

17 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Puddle stomping!:love_heart: Nice fall theme. It helped last fall when I used a bunch of candles and tried to create hygge. 

Lovely. :) 

• Like 2

Tuesday's low energy is still plaguing me, I suspect I might be fighting a cold. :unsure: I really, really, really hope it won't break out!

Wednesday was spectacularly beautiful, crisp and windy but really sunny, and I went out for a morning swim. The rest of the day was a bit of a flop, I started to feel super crummy at work and went to bed early. I also felt an odd combo of being a bit sad and a little lonely but also antisocial at the same time... But I recognised that it was most likely simply because I didn't feel very well so didn't let the feels get to me.

SISU Morning swim

Thursday Still fighting whatever this is. At least we had another amazingly gorgeous day. :) Today was another remote day and this time I remembered to keep up with my regular schedule. Ish. I went out for a long walk in the morning, and I found another mushroom! Yay! And also blueberries for the first time this year, not many and not as flavourful as usual but it was still exciting. I did bring my swimming stuff just in case, but in the end I skipped the swim as my body felt stressed enough just from the walk.

SISU Long morning walk (but still no swim or other exercise though), tackled a few things on my to do list (dyed my hair and cleaned and reorganized the cupboard under the sink)

HYGGE Wanted to maximise the day so I went for a second walk to a café where I sat on the terrace and read for a bit. :) Cooked a proper meal, and luckily it ended up delicious because I made enough for a small army!

LAGOM Still too low. Man I really want to play and climb!

• Like 6

hEE4E31C1

I hope the cold doesn't progress!

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

HYGGE Wanted to maximise the day so I went for a second walk to a café where I sat on the terrace and read for a bit. :) 

This sounds so lovely!

20 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

SISU, BABY 

73b026f01f97fbed8868d96b1eba2eaa--finnis

I hope you don't have anything too nasty or persistent. Get yer rest, buddy.

Haha you gotta love Finland for that, country of introverts. :D 

Thanks, so far so good!

11 hours ago, Jonesy said:

hEE4E31C1

I hope the cold doesn't progress!

This sounds so lovely!

Thanks, fingers crossed!

It was! I love how in Scandinavia cafés/bars still have outside seating until quite late in the year, and provide blankets and heaters to keep warm. :) Sisu I guess.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

HYGGE Wanted to maximise the day so I went for a second walk to a café where I sat on the terrace and read for a bit. :) Cooked a proper meal, and luckily it ended up delicious because I made enough for a small army!

Oooh this sounds so lovely!!

Sorry you’re feeling crummy, here’s hoping that plenty of sleep gets you feeling better soon!

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

Oooh this sounds so lovely!!

Sorry you’re feeling crummy, here’s hoping that plenty of sleep gets you feeling better soon!

10/10 :) 

Thanks!!!

• Like 1

I feel like my body and I are at a stalemate. :P Still feeling meh, still not sick, arm still hurts but it's not getting worse.

Ok maybe a little worse after doing pull-up negatives (2/7/5/5/7) this morning. My boss remembered about the pull-up challenge so we started on that today. :D It's really rather interesting how much more negatives can tell you about body mechanics than full pull-ups... Though some of my colleagues' form is making me twitch. :P 

Other than that it was another lazy day, just watched a bunch of climbing (it's the world championships), and it's awesome.

If I'm still not sick tomorrow I'm going to say fuck it and go climbing and/or handstand no matter what. I'm bored of trying to be good. ;) 

HYGGE Sat outside in the morning with tea and a book

• Like 1
  • Haha 1