• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Though some of my colleagues' form is making me twitch.

Sometimes it takes all of my strength not to comment when I see some of what passes for pullups around these parts

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:50 AM, Mad Hatter said:

My boss remembered about the pull-up challenge so we started on that today. :D It's really rather interesting how much more negatives can tell you about body mechanics than full pull-ups... Though some of my colleagues' form is making me twitch. :P 

Agree on both counts. Being older, I really have to watch my form or my joints feel it. The good side of that is I have learned good form, and have good endurance because of it

On 9/15/2018 at 11:14 AM, Bob the Bard said:

Hell yeah.  I feel like we could all use more hygge in our lives.

Out of curiosity, what 'cha gonna cook?

Absolutely!

Oh I haven't thought that far ahead. :D But today I made a chocolate Dutch baby with raspberries for breakfast. And yesterday oaty banana pancakes (not sweetened so quite healthy). For dinner I've been eating a super tasty gingery daal thing with potatoes and spinach.

21 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Sometimes it takes all of my strength not to comment when I see some of what passes for pullups around these parts

:D 

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Agree on both counts. Being older, I really have to watch my form or my joints feel it. The good side of that is I have learned good form, and have good endurance because of it

Yes it's so important for the joints to keep good form! Not just for protection but also for strengthening the muscles around the joints and not just the prime movers. Negatives makes it really obvious if you don't have that stability/strength, even if your pull-ups look strong. It was quite interesting to observe.

• Like 1

I decided I'm bored of feeling crummy and bored of babying my forearm, so I'm back in action as of yesterday. ;)

Saturday 

I'm not sure why but I got some absolutely relentless DOMS from the pull-up negatives! It didn't feel like much volume at the time and I never got to a point where my form dropped even a little bit, but apparently I worked a little harder than expected because my arms, pecs and abs were (and still are) seriously sore! 

Unsurprisingly it wasn't a great day, not just because of the DOMS but I also seem to have forgotten how to move. :hopelessness:

In the morning I did handstands after almost two weeks off. It wasn't great, especially my freestanding attempts were absolutely terrible. Consistency is so important! How many times do I have to learn that lesson? :D

Spoiler

1x5 pilates ball pike presses - trying to lean and push

2x5 pike press walks

1x5 straddle press walks

3x1 partial negative wall straddles - trying to lean

1x3 tuck HS back to wall

1x3 wall HS looking at toes

15-20 minutes of freestanding - Le sigh, most kick ups failed, the few that I got were super wobbly

Climbing was even worse. I couldn't climb even the easiest problems and I was scared and nervy in my climbing. My guess is it's because my forearm is still quite sore and I couldn't trust my strength. Now I'm just really hoping it's a one off and that I won't have another long period of struggling with brain weasels....

SISU - 3 pts

• Got out of bed straight away. +1
  • Long morning walk, even though it was very grey and drizzly. +1
  • Went for swim despite the weather! For the first time it felt a little insane to go into the water. But it was worth it. :) +1
  • Did handstands with ALL THE DOMS. +1
  • Couldn't channel enough sisu to overcome brain weasels at climbing. -1

HYGGE - 4 pts

• Picked some heather to decorate with. +1
  • Coffee and banana pancakes for breakfast after my walk + swim. +1 
  • Cozied up with a book and lit some candles. +1
  • Pub with friends, best of all was that pretty much everyone was there, including people that I almost never see these days. :) +1

LAGOM - 1 pt

• Didn't overdo handstands or climbing after not having moved for 5 days. +1
  • Eating was sane. +1
  • A wee bit much to drink. Drinks were strong and the cook slow. :P -1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Got out of bed straight away

You've got to tell me the secret for this.

Didn't overdo handstands or climbing after not having moved for 5 days. +1

This should get more points, in my opinion :)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, zenLara said:

You've got to tell me the secret for this.

Go to bed early enough and keep all distracting things far away from the bed? :P 

21 hours ago, zenLara said:

This should get more points, in my opinion :)

I'm not going to lie, it was more due to me having forgotten how to climb than a measure of discipline. ;) 

Sunday 

Had a lovely Sunday, it was one of those amazingly beautiful and crispy fall days. I'm not excited about the upcoming darkness and dreary days but I LOVE those days. :) 

Some handstands happened, and they were already much better:

Spoiler

1x5 pilates ball pike presses

2x5 pike press walks

2x5 straddle press walks

1x5 tuck HS back to wall

1x5 wall HS looking at toes

2x5 wall straight to tuck HS wall slides

2x3 partial wall straddles - HARD, can only get to about 90 degrees

20 minutes of freestanding - Much better today, still a lot of pike and wobble but at least I got a lot more time on my hands

And some climbing, which also went much better. Not initially, I struggled on another easy problem and got quite sad about it. Then my friend forced me to try a problem WAY out of my comfort zone, a very heavy problem with a ridiculous start where your feet are about a meter over your head. I was absolutely convinced it was impossible but after a bit of practice I managed a few moves! That combined with the feeling of just pulling really hard made me feel a little better about my climbing and like I might not have forgotten quite everything. ;) I think the problem might still be out of reach for me as I suspect I don't have the shoulder strength for one of the moves, but at least I tried hard and that felt good. 

SISU 4 pts

• Got out of bed considering Saturday's shenanigans. ;) +1
  • Long morning walk. +1
  • Morning swim. Yep definitely starts to feel insane, as it was about 11C in the morning and 14 in the water. But it felt great. +1
  • Struggled through climbing. +1

HYGGE 3 pts

• Had my tea outside enjoying a gorgeously crisp fall morning. +1
  • "Meditation" listening to the waves and the birds. +1 
  • Yummy breakfast and coffee while watching the climbing championship. +1

LAGOM -1 pt

• Too much time watching climbing comps, but they're over now. -1
  • Ate too little, I already started to get peckish before going climbing and when I got back home I ate a bunch of crisps before dinner in order to not starve. On the plus side I didn't eat ALL of them. :P -1
  • Don't feel broken after another day of handstands and climbing. +1
  • Like 3

On 9/16/2018 at 1:59 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Consistency is so important! How many times do I have to learn that lesson? :D

Consistency is looking good these days though!

25 minutes ago, @mu said:

Consistency is looking good these days though!

Sure for the past two days! :P :lol: Before that it was almost two weeks. :hopelessness: But I'm back on track!

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Go to bed early enough and keep all distracting things far away from the bed? :P 

Some days, that's not enough for me...

Don't feel broken after another day of handstands and climbing. +1

Awesome!

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Then my friend forced me to try a problem WAY out of my comfort zone

This is why climbing (or doing anything skills related) is so much better with friends.  That extra push when you need it can make all the difference :) 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

This is why climbing (or doing anything skills related) is so much better with friends.  That extra push when you need it can make all the difference :) 

100%. Especially in mental sports. On the flip side I feel like I suck most of the time because my friends are a lot better than me. :P 

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

And some climbing, which also went much better. Not initially, I struggled on another easy problem and got quite sad about it. Then my friend forced me to try a problem WAY out of my comfort zone, a very heavy problem with a ridiculous start where your feet are about a meter over your head. I was absolutely convinced it was impossible but after a bit of practice I managed a few moves! That combined with the feeling of just pulling really hard made me feel a little better about my climbing and like I might not have forgotten quite everything. ;) I think the problem might still be out of reach for me as I suspect I don't have the shoulder strength for one of the moves, but at least I tried hard and that felt good. 

Doing the hard things feels really nice sometimes! All of the good trying mojo. :D 

2 hours ago, raptron said:

Doing the hard things feels really nice sometimes! All of the good trying mojo. :D 

Yeah! Thanks! :D 

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I so wish you lived close enough to climb together (and teach me)! I have no climbing friends.

ME TOOOO!

36 minutes ago, Asa Pond said:

I love this challenge! I was dreading fall and then my brain did an abrupt about-face this weekend and now I'm super stoked about it. (But it's in the 80s here so...)

Might as well embrace it. (I say now ;)) But LOL at those temperatures.

Monday

Not a good day. :( 

I didn't sleep very well, though I did have a fun dream which involved lots of dancing. From which I woke up drenched in sweat. :D

But then I overslept and didn't really have time to do anything in the morning. And then I crashed after a long work day... Quite the disappointing day.

SISU -2 pts

• No morning movement. -1
  • No outside time. I should remember to go for a short walk at lunch time, now that we can't do lunch picnics anymore. -1

HYGGE 1 pt

• Breakfast in bed with a book. Just a few minutes but it was nice. +1

LAGOM -2 pt

• Ate like crap. I need to do something about Mondays, we have a 5 pm meeting every week and it makes me HANGRY. I usually have some fruit but it's not enough at that point. Either I need to start bringing a more substantial snack (ideas?) or make sure to have food prepared at home that I can shove into my mouth as soon as I enter the door. -1
  • Didn't move at all. -1

A tough monday :( (but that's how mondays are, right?)

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

a more substantial snack (ideas?)

I usually take nuts for mine. I specially love cashews. And if it's not enough I add a banana or two, or carrots. What about yogurt or sandwiches, can you eat them at work? Some type of milkshake? You can even put egg yolks in there.

4 hours ago, zenLara said:

A tough monday :( (but that's how mondays are, right?)

I usually take nuts for mine. I specially love cashews. And if it's not enough I add a banana or two, or carrots. What about yogurt or sandwiches, can you eat them at work? Some type of milkshake? You can even put egg yolks in there.

Unfortunately yes, with the number of meetings. The 5 pm one kills me though. :( Plus it's boring as fuck so all I think about is food which makes me even more hangry!

Nuts on their own are too much of a snack, I end up eating a bunch but they don't satisfy even if I eat fruit as well. I think I need something more balanced at that point, more of a small meal. Yoghurt with nuts and stuff could work though. Sandwiches would work in theory but I don't want to prepare them at work. Maybe I could bring some kind of salad thing but that requires prepping two things... Or perhaps overnight oats... Hmm...