• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Interesting! 

I got that when I started training aerial again and could not do as much as before (obviously). Nostalgia/comparison to previous performance (or with other people) can also trigger that sort of tension.

I also get it a bit with tracked HS sessions (max hold, consistency). Of course I always want to get a better score than my previous session or at least not something below my current average. That's fair enough I think, but letting go of the tension when I can see it's not going to happen is not always easy (that's usually when the HS rabbit fury may take over...).

For me, it's purely an ego thing really. And I do think I need some of it to move forward (eagerness) but too much of it will definitely hurt.

One thing that I absolutely avoid though is to say I'm going to hit a specific skill this month (or the next, or even this year). First it usually never happens :lol:  and it's too much unnecessary stress really. It's much nicer and more comforting to let the shinies come by themselves. I'm fairly annoyed by the current shape of my bent arm stand (as you may know by now :P ) but so be it. If I start saying that I should get it by time T, the slight annoyance will likely turn into madness. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, @mu said:

I also get it a bit with tracked HS sessions (max hold, consistency). Of course I always want to get a better score than my previous session or at least not something below my current average. That's fair enough I think, but letting go of the tension when I can see it's not going to happen is not always easy (that's usually when the HS rabbit fury may take over...).

Funny for me handstands is one of the few things where I can chill! Of course I still get frustrated when I have a bad balance day, but it's a lot easier in handstands compared to climbing to shake it off and to change focus, and to say do some conditioning instead. I think I just have a lot more realistic expectations when it comes to handstands. I know that bad days are completely normal and that it takes tiiiiiime. It's true for other disciplines as well, but handstands are notorious for glacial progress and for extremely repetitive work. :D

5 hours ago, @mu said:

For me, it's purely an ego thing really. And I do think I need some of it to move forward (eagerness) but too much of it will definitely hurt.

Yes, and for me it usually starts off with innocent eagerness which then turns into a monster!

5 hours ago, @mu said:

One thing that I absolutely avoid though is to say I'm going to hit a specific skill this month (or the next, or even this year). First it usually never happens :lol:  and it's too much unnecessary stress really. It's much nicer and more comforting to let the shinies come by themselves. I'm fairly annoyed by the current shape of my bent arm stand (as you may know by now :P ) but so be it. If I start saying that I should get it by time T, the slight annoyance will likely turn into madness. 

Absolutely! I tried that in the past and it fails miserably. :P 

But I've been wondering if it hasn't made me shy away from setting real goals (or even direction) at all lately... @Arkania's posts about shiny epic quests has made me think about those things again and I think I've been on cruise mode for a while now. But I'm getting inspired to set some hard goals, even if I'm not sure I believe they're actually achievable for me! (handstand goals I'm looking at you ;))

• Like 1

Great article.Thanks for sharing. I often need that reminder.

SO many good quotes, but this one is that one I need to focus on:

But what about all my goals?

You can still work towards them -- but do it incrementally and with kindness. Work in a way that FEELS right to you. Pay attention to your emotional state. 

Changing expectations doesn't lead to less 'achievement.' 

I need to remember that kindness part, and just to be thankful for how much I can move. I was sort of frustrated with the fact that I still struggle with jump roping, and then I remembered that when I first started NF, I couldn't even do jumping jacks without pain. I love working on skill stuff, but if I'm not careful it ends up just being totally frustrating. I need to mindfully purpose on the kindness part.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 3:20 PM, @mu said:

One thing that I absolutely avoid though is to say I'm going to hit a specific skill this month (or the next, or even this year). First it usually never happens :lol:  and it's too much unnecessary stress really.

Yes, this is probably the key to my struggles.  I have ideas on how fast I should be able to progress to new skill and so far have never been close to accurate once.  Getting skills takes time, and it is too easy to look at others who are already at that level and wonder why I am not there yet.  

In addition to all of the other things I am working on, maybe I should work on some patience too ;) 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

In addition to all of the other things I am working on, maybe I should work on some patience too ;) 

Let me know if you find the way. ;) 

I had such a lovely antisocial weekend, it's been a while since my brain has been this relaxed. :) Usually when I'm a recluse it's because my brain is melting, this time I simply enjoyed doing my own thing. Mostly I turned hermit because my friends went climbing at a brand spanking new gym (on both days) and since I can't climb I didn't want to pay for it (and then I was too lazy to meet up). But that's ok, I didn't get any FOMO though I'm quite excited to check out the new place and to climb again!

Not sure when that will be though. My forearm does feel a little better, most of the time, but it's not great and I'm still on anti inflammatories. But hey at least I'm not waking up in pain. :) Still a few more days of resting it and then I'll see what happens when I get off the meds. 

In the meantime I've been pole dancing a lot, as in just dancing and floorwork.

Yesterday I did some back bending, again nothing that involved the forearm. Mainly backbend lunges, cobra lifts, wall supported cobras, camel drop backs and hanging backbends - a short session but not being able to support myself made it pretty heavy on the conditioning side.

And walking and swimming, though now I'm definitely in insane territory. :lol: 1C in the air, 8C in the water on Saturday morning. There was still a patch of frost on the ground. :o 

I also did a whole bunch more flat reorganization - including buying a bunch of plants to replace the ones I killed over the summer, setting up a herb garden, cleaning out manky kitchen cupboards and reorganizing them so they make more sense, stuff like that. 

Plus a whole lot of doing nothing. :P It's been great. No pressure, calm head. I've had a few forced training deloads lately but this feels like a much needed mental deload. I give it a day or two, tops, before it breaks down haha.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Can't wait until you have to use an ice pick to beak up the ice before your swim.:smile-new:

Hahaha. :D I have a feeling these swims won't last for very long now! 

• Like 1

Aaaaaahhhh I've been in a meeting discussing e.g. which colour green to use for 45 minutes AND COUNTING!! I don't even do UI just let me go home. :angry:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Reading up about tennis elbow I found this gem of a quote:

Soft-tissue work is imperative. The program will produce some muscle spasm and likely ramp up any tendonitis. Ten minutes of eye-watering massage over the tendon and upper forearm a few times a week will double your chances of success. Note that massage alone is categorically ineffective. If healing was as easy as rubbing it, we would have figured out how to cure our sore elbow soon after we discovered masturbation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

"tennis elbow"

Hmm chicken/egg situation?

Related - I couldn't resist trying a few pull-ups at work today. Everyone else was doing them! :hopelessness: Not gonna lie, it did hurt, but it didn't last very long. I think I'm a point where I can stop resting and start rehab/gentle loading. Or put it in a different way - I have to start doing something actively now because I'm getting super antsy and if I don't I'll do something stupid. :P 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arkania said:

Streeeeeeeeeeeetching :D

And the Golgi therapy helped me. My doc showed it to me. It's like pressing the point where it hurts very hard for about two minutes until the pain subsides.

https://www.naturheilpraxis-miens.de/en/manual-therapies/golgi-point-therapy.html

From my understanding there's not really any evidence that stretching helps. Stretching the pecs and lats yes, in order to not put unnecessary strain on downstream tissues, but stretching the forearm muscles directly attached to the source of the irritation no. The muscles and tendons need to be strengthened rather. Ultimately it's weakness in those tissues that caused the injury in the first place so any amount of stretching is not going to help with fixing the root cause.

I'll take a look at the golgi therapy, but I think it falls under the category of rubbing. ;) Which is not enough on its own but if it helps to relieve some pain even temporarily then it's probably not a bad thing. :) 

23 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Plus a whole lot of doing nothing. :P It's been great. No pressure, calm head. I've had a few forced training deloads lately but this feels like a much needed mental deload.

Envious! I'll need to make the space soon, too much speed at the moment.

Sure it is not ONLY stretching ;)
But good stretching for every sport. Also training the "push muscles" so that the "pull muscles" you mostly use while climbing don't shorten (oh man, I wish I could write in my mother tongue :D ).

7 minutes ago, @mu said:

Envious! I'll need to make the space soon, too much speed at the moment.

Sounds good, just don't do it my way and pick up an injury to force a break. :P 

2 minutes ago, Arkania said:

Sure it is not ONLY stretching ;)
But good stretching for every sport. Also training the "push muscles" so that the "pull muscles" you mostly use while climbing don't shorten (oh man, I wish I could write in my mother tongue :D ).

True. :) 

And I'm the first to admit I definitely don't do enough push practice! Like I'm appallingly bad at even basic push ups. :hopelessness: 

But most of all I "just" have to stop being an idiot. I know exactly what climb started the issues, and then I kept trying... and trying... and then I did a few other dumb things on top of that climb... And with climbing 4 times a week there was no chance of clearing up the little niggles. Yeah....

I really want to say lesson learnt but time will tell. :D 

• Haha 1

I hate to sound like my boss, but I had such an amazing swim this morning! It was misty and eerie and a helicopter flew right over my head! :o It was really cool. I also felt suuuuper relaxed with the cold. I wouldn't say I've been struggling with the recent colder temperatures, quite the opposite, but I've definitely been aware that it's cold. But today the cold didn't demand any attention at all so I could really take my time and absorb the nature around me, watch the birds and relax. It was awesome.

On a different note - I'm getting bored of resting my forearm so I've stopped taking the anti inflammatories and started rehabbing it. I'm doing eccentric hammer drills and wrist extensions - for the latter I struggle even with 2 kg weight. :( But it feels good to be proactive. :) 

In the evening went to the climbing gym to say hi to my friends as I haven't seen them for ages. I joined them for about hmm say 2 minutes of abs haha. It's been quite a while since I did any abs conditioning so even that tiny amount was painful. :P I've also let everyone know that I'm going to cut down on climbing to probably twice a week, and while it's not a popular move it's at least official that I'm going to try to be a responsible adult from now on. ;) Wish me luck haha?

• Like 3

it's at least official that I'm going to try to be a responsible adult from now on.

I thought we tried the whole adulting thing a few challenges ago and decided we hates it?

*I can't get the quote thing to work on this phone

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I love hearing about your swimming experiences. Good luck with the  responsible adulting. It's so hard, I have to admit, I'm rather poor at listening to my body and scaling back when I need to

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I thought we tried the whole adulting thing a few challenges ago and decided we hates it?

she didn't like it but she got sh* done though :lol:

I'm also very impressed by the swimming in such cold temperatures really!

Hope the forearm situation clears up soon :huh:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Oh right good point. :P BUT my sneaky, sneaky plan is to use adulting as an excuse to play on rings. ;) 

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I love hearing about your swimming experiences. Good luck with the  responsible adulting. It's so hard, I have to admit, I'm rather poor at listening to my body and scaling back when I need to

Thanks I'll need it. :D 

19 minutes ago, @mu said:

she didn't like it but she got sh* done though :lol:

I'm also very impressed by the swimming in such cold temperatures really!

Hope the forearm situation clears up soon :huh:

Exactly. ;) 

I hope so toooo, I want to climb! And I'm really itching to handstand!!!