• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gemma

Gemma ReVamps her life (again)

Short form - I just bought a new program, a 12-week recomp by Nia Shanks called "ReVamp." It's 4-day/week strength training + simple (almostnotquite intuitive-ish) nutrition advice + 30 minutes of "intentional movement" on non-lifty days. 

So I'm doing that, and this challenge will involve tracking my intentional movement for sure - because I have a bad habit of dividing life into Gym Dayz and SitOnMyButt Dayz. 

I also will be setting some sort of goal for wrist and shoulder mobility work, because I just got sucked into bought the NF Handstands course and I need to work hand and wrist mobility like a LOT before I even try anything beyond that, my hands are a mobility mess and I never even knew it.

***Insert Actual Goals Here***

But for right now, I am focused more on this:

Because of - see where the little red line crosses onto land? That's pretty much the exact location of my house.

GN38305-Artboard_1.png

We are sheltering in place. Not too terribly worried, we are enough inland and on high enough ground to feel relatively secure, we've plenty of food, water, and plywood for the windows - but I will probably lose power and internet again for a few days, so I'll just have to get caught up on challenge-y thingies when Miss Flo has done had her way with us.

Whichever Flo is appropriate to your generation:

zBvSk.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

so much greatness in this post! good to see you! also, if anyone is equipped to ride out a storm on the red line, i feel like it is you and your hubs. good vibes going your way for no damage and just enough power outage time to rest up but not enough to make you go stir crazy ;) 

• Like 2

Got my housebound task list started! No gym available, but Nia included three full-body suspension trainer workouts as a bonus, so I’m set. Except I know me, and if I don’t write it on the to-do list I won’t do it. I have working-out-at-home issues.

845e32b4feaef25b9b4931fc1ed6d267.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hey there! I am not *super* familiar with Nia Shanks' programming, but I have liked everything I have seen/heard from her through interweb osmosis. Excited to follow along and find out about your experience with the program!

• Like 1

The biggest concern is drinking water. We didn’t bother with the cases and cases of plastic bottles because we do have a generator, and hubs (in charge of electricity stuffs) just figured we would plug the water pump in when we need to (we have well water).

Now that the stores are all closed (and the water shelves were all bare anyways) - he just figured out that the well pump doesn’t have the kind of electrical plug he assumed it did.

No worries.

82c95a7baeda05513eda7c124de03dd3.jpg

I don’t like the taste of the plastic bottle stuff anyway.

• Like 4

Florence-limited Wednesday workout:

Circuit x3 (30 seconds rest between sets)

Pendulum Lunges x5

Suspension trainer pause push-up x7

1.5 rep squat x5

Inverted row x10

Alternating Alligator x5

Mountain Climbers x8 

Later in the day I did the shoulder mobility work + quadruped rocks from Handstands course.

• Like 3

I saw this, and it made me giggle. Florence looks like it's gonna be pretty 'hard'

No automatic alt text available.

Seriously though, stay safe, stay dry. Please stick around after this stupid monster passes and regale us with your stories.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Gemma said:

The biggest concern is drinking water. We didn’t bother with the cases and cases of plastic bottles because we do have a generator, and hubs (in charge of electricity stuffs) just figured we would plug the water pump in when we need to (we have well water).

Now that the stores are all closed (and the water shelves were all bare anyways) - he just figured out that the well pump doesn’t have the kind of electrical plug he assumed it did.

No worries.

82c95a7baeda05513eda7c124de03dd3.jpg

I don’t like the taste of the plastic bottle stuff anyway.

If there are any backpacking stores near you there are tons of water filtration options for hikers, so no matter what you can get water from ANY water source.

On 9/11/2018 at 9:14 PM, Brovatar Korra said:

Hey there! I am not *super* familiar with Nia Shanks' programming, but I have liked everything I have seen/heard from her through interweb osmosis. Excited to follow along and find out about your experience with the program!

I love her stuff - she pulls no punches, it's very similar to Mark Rippetoe meets Tony Gentilcore, but targeted towards women. I found her the first time I googled "how can women learn to do pull-ups" and I've been on and off following her programming in various forms for years. 

This is the better explanation for what I referred to above as her "simple intuitive-ish nutrition guidance"

@Grumble - the comments on that pic whenever it appears in my FB feed are a riot. "We're screwed." "Nah, it'll last two minutes then roll over and go to sleep." 

5 hours ago, Jord said:

If there are any backpacking stores near you there are tons of water filtration options for hikers, so no matter what you can get water from ANY water source.

<slaps forehead>  I know about these, had thought about getting them for a Bug-out kit (that I've never actually gotten around to building). There are many outdoor stores near me (they self-identify as hunting and fishing stores, but will do nicely) so this is now something that the hubs and I will be adding to our "Bug-in" kit for future. 

4 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

love the quick fix for water - well done!

and you did your workout! is the 1.5 rep squat a squat that you don't come all the way back up from before squatting down again?

Yep - it's a squat to depth, come up to half-squat or "frat-boy curtsy" position, then back down to full depth again. 

I've done about 15 minutes of wrist and shoulder mobility work and quadruped rocking today. I'll do another 15 minutes this evening. 

Today's musical theme: 

I saw Springsteen in concert at Redrocks when I was 16. We sat out there all day in the pouring rain, the show was delayed for two hours until the rain stopped, and when he and the band came out they opened with this song even though it was not on their original set list. The clouds blew away and there was a giant harvest moon right above the stage. 

• Like 6

Hiiiiyyyooooo Excellent to see you m'lady. I'm hoping things are still moving along alright! I kind of love the crystal water bottle... 

Have you found a program for your wrist mobility? I'd be curious to see!

• Like 1

Stay safe friend!!! Love the BuJo, makeshift water bottles, and the nutrition stuff you posted - totally sharing with my mom too since it's something I think she'd get a kick out of. And also maybe a way to nudge my mom towards doing more fitness stuff that's good for her.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2018 at 5:58 AM, Jord said:

I was just about to post something similar about water filtration options. You're about to have TONS of rain. Collecting what rain water you can and purifying it into drinking water sounds like it would work in theory.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2018 at 5:49 PM, scalyfreak said:

...and the hurricane has hit, and the amount of rain is apparently record-breaking.

Stay safe, Gemma.

She just posted on IG about 5 minutes ago. Alive and well and proving old adages wrong. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2018 at 8:46 AM, RedStone said:

Hiiiiyyyooooo Excellent to see you m'lady. I'm hoping things are still moving along alright! I kind of love the crystal water bottle... 

Have you found a program for your wrist mobility? I'd be curious to see!

Hey, hi! The cut glass bottle was a ball gift one year (U.S. Marine Corps Birthday Ball, one of the traditional elements is a gift at each place setting. I have so many USMC beer mugs no one looking in my china hutch would ever believe that I don't drink beer for a living.)

The first few levels of the NF Handstands program are all about wrist, hand, and shoulder mobility, so I'm just rolling with that. 

On 9/14/2018 at 7:39 PM, MikeW said:

Stay safe friend!!! Love the BuJo, makeshift water bottles, and the nutrition stuff you posted - totally sharing with my mom too since it's something I think she'd get a kick out of. And also maybe a way to nudge my mom towards doing more fitness stuff that's good for her.

Hi! I hope your mom enjoys (enjoyed) that, I love the way Nia writes. Like, hilarious, but also "look, girlfriend, not tryna be harsh but this is truth. Deal." I'm currently reading Rachel Hollis' "Girl, Wash Your Face!" for more of that same snarky-but-true life advice. 

On 9/15/2018 at 8:49 PM, scalyfreak said:

...and the hurricane has hit, and the amount of rain is apparently record-breaking.

Stay safe, Gemma.

33.9 inches between Thursday afternoon and Sunday night, and we've had more showers since. My part of town is superficially dried out now, but the ground is still so saturated that every time it sprinkles the water stands on the ground. We are used to heavy rainfall and have great drainage, but still, it just has nowhere to go. 

On 9/17/2018 at 10:39 AM, Grumble said:

She just posted on IG about 5 minutes ago. Alive and well and proving old adages wrong. 

Not only alive and well but I HAVE INTERNET ACCESS AGAIN Y'ALL!!!

On 9/12/2018 at 6:33 PM, Grumble said:

Please stick around after this stupid monster passes and regale us with your stories.

I will regale, I promise - there are lots of stories, and a soundtrack to go with them. I'll come back and add challenge goals later too. For right now, though, I just want to report that the following groups of persons, in no particular order, are my heroes, and I am so very grateful to them all for doing what they do. So many people worked so very very hard, and in many cases traveled here from very far away, to make this disaster less like a disaster and more like an inconvenience - as much as could humanly possibly be done (and I think maybe a little bit more than that):

• Law enforcement professionals
  • Firefighters
  • Medical first responders
  • Electric lineman 
  • Cell tower repairmen
  • Cable internet service teams
  • Fuel truck drivers
  • National Guard
  • Construction professionals inc. general contractors, roofers, fence companies 
  • Emergency shelter managers

I know I'm leaving heroes out, but frankly I'm still a bit overwhelmed. Time to drink water and maybe take a little nap. 

• Like 5

Whew. Hi.

I'm almost certainly not going to set challenge goals this time around. I think I underestimated how much time it would take to get back within spitting distance of "normal."

I did get back into the gym for the first time yesterday. Worked legs and abs. The DOMS. Wow. And I was very active during the past few weeks. So much fence-repairing, raking, drywall-tearing-out, and the cutting up of downed trees. A 20" chainsaw is not light, and I have been wielding it with great regularity. No trees down around my house, but all of my friends had plenty. (I love my chainsaw. Is that weird?)

My pastor’s house (orange shirt = hubs):

ca4171467de41c0aaa3a4dfc9f9b48be.jpg

02d510f4afd9b98b0ab705b7012ccf65.jpg

Less-creepy* music video:

We are going to have to have our roof replaced, and much of the drywall, the ceiling, and the flooring torn out and replaced in our master bedroom due to water damage from a combination of roof leak and water pouring in around the window where the siding was torn off. Hubs and I have moved into the guest bedroom indefinitely, and are using the grandminion nursery as a supplemental closet/dresser. This has been somewhat disruptive to my sleep pattern, but I'm adapting.

b8935d38bc000438ffb28d0f1cccc2d4.jpg

I miss y'all. Hope to be back as a full participant by next challenge.

*I kinda love that Bonnie Tyler song, but I had never actually watched the video before. Wow that was truly creepy. All of the very worst of 80's music videos, all compiled in one place ... the bad lip-syncs, the ultra-cheesy backup dancers, the random, threatening, and dramatically overdone thematic elements _ wow. Sorry I subject y'all to that  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gemma said:

*I kinda love that Bonnie Tyler song, but I had never actually watched the video before. Wow that was truly creepy. All of the very worst of 80's music videos, all compiled in one place ... the bad lip-syncs, the ultra-cheesy backup dancers, the random, threatening, and dramatically overdone thematic elements _ wow. Sorry I subject y'all to that emoji33.png 

Just do what I do and post the Shrek version every time instead/ :P 

Also, priorities. Fixing you own house and helping your friends seem to me like perfectly valid reasons to skip a challenge. :) 

• Like 1

Hi, Warriors!

I miss y’all.

Also, my whole health/fitness/self-care has gone a bit off the rails. I miss the gym. Who would’ve ever thought that I would ever say something like that.

Also, not sure who ‘round here is on the Gulf coast, but prayers for your safety! Hurricane Mikey will be dumping several extra inches of rain on my still-leaky roof, but hey - all that drywall and insulation was gonna have to be replaced anyways, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We're very happy you're safe!

(I know it's late)

59 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Also, my whole health/fitness/self-care has gone a bit off the rails. I miss the gym. Who would’ve ever thought that I would ever say something like that.

This is why we never stop learning. Occasionally something sticks.