• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Terah

Terah: Taking care of myself

1*xHcoVGimz-Rk7B8q7cE4XQ.jpeg

Life has been really busy now school has started again, and I'm having trouble keeping up and getting the stuff done that I want. To top that off, I got a nasty cold. It's getting better though :)

My challenge this round will hopefully give me the structure I need to get everything running smoothly again. 

I love structure and schedules and lists. These things give me piece of mind, and help me "allow" myself to do things just for me. 

Update: I don't like my first challenge draft, and I'm going to completely change it. 

Quest 1: Eat healthy

I've been logging all of my food in My Fitness Pal for over 5 months now. It has been good to get a sense of what I'm eating and how much I should be eating to create a deficit. But I'm starting to get obsessed by kcal and I'm not paying enough attention to food quality. Besides that: the binges have returned. I've been binge free for so long, and this feels like a real setback. I think the cause is that I don't eat enough nutrients and my body wants more. Stressing about staying within my kcal limit doesn't help either.

So new plan: I'm going to eat 3 meals a day, one, maybe two snacks if I'm really hungry in between. But there are some rules:

- The food has to be healthy (not heavily processed, made from scratch as much as possible, whole grains, fruit and veggies, that kind of stuff.)

- I stop eating when I'm satisfied, not overly full, but not still hungry either

- I can have a treat on special occasions like birthdays, parties etc.

Quest 2: move

Zumba and dancehall are still my workouts of choice. I want to get back to body weight training, but it has been proven hard to schedule that in. I've been making excuses not to have to workout.

By the end of the challenge I want to have at least 1 body weight workout a week. But preferably 3 :D 

I was doing workouts in the morning, but my mornings are kind of full nowadays. So I'm thinking of doing them in the evening, see how that makes me feel. 

Quest 3: Adulting

Back to lists! Lists make me feel in control and give me piece of mind. So I'm going to make lists with everything I need to do each day.

• Like 4

Wednesday 

I'm still feeling under the weather, but it's getting better. It was another busy day. J had to go to speech therapy for the first time because he lisps, today was the intake. His lisp is really cute, but I'm afraid he'll get bullied if he keeps lisping when he gets older. 

• Like 2

On 9/12/2018 at 8:18 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following.

Yay! 

On 9/12/2018 at 10:21 PM, Shello said:

Here!

Where else would you be? ;) 

19 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Here and following again :) 

Hi there :)

13 minutes ago, Heidi said:

Hope you are feeling better!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I am, thanks :) 

• Like 1

I didn't like my challenge goals anymore. So I changed them.

My cold is nearly gone. I'm still a bit low on energy, and have to have a handkerchief* close-by at all times, but I'm not sleeping during the daytime and I'm starting to smell and hear things again :D 

*Every time I see this word, I'm reminded of the story "Gulliver's travels". I read (a simplified version with lots of pictures of) this book in English class. It was the first time I read the word and it looked so totally weird to me :p I still think "handkerchief" is a weird sounding word :D (As reference, the Dutch word is "zakdoek" - pronounced "zahkdook")

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Terah said:

My cold is nearly gone. I'm still a bit low on energy, and have to have a handkerchief* close-by at all times, but I'm not sleeping during the daytime and I'm starting to smell and hear things again :D 

*Every time I see this word, I'm reminded of the story "Gulliver's travels". I read (a simplified version with lots of pictures of) this book in English class. It was the first time I read the word and it looked so totally weird to me :p I still think "handkerchief" is a weird sounding word :D (As reference, the Dutch word is "zakdoek" - pronounced "zahkdook")

Well it sounds a lot better than snot rag.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good for you!!!

This is how success happens.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Hi there! How did the intake go for J? 

I hope by by the time you read this, you feel amazing and healthy.

Me and the speech therapist just talked about what I expected of her, other issues he might have and about boring stuff like insurance. Next week she'll test him and make a treatment plan for him. So I just jave to wait and see for now.

I'm feeling a lot better, thanks <4 

• Like 1

Friday - Sunday 

Changing my eating goal really helped me to feel better. I don't have cravings anymore and am not binging or overeating. Fasting comes naturally as I am eating when I'm hungry and stop when I had enough. Yesterday I even had a 16 hour fast, because I just wasn't that hungry and had stuff to do in the morning. 

I'm making sure I only eat minimally processed foods and I must say, it's delicious without me wanting to overeat :D

I'm not back to working out, but I will start again next Tuesday with zumba. 

I went swimming with the boys again today. It went really well. It's fun to see A soaring through the water knowing that I thought him that. J just wants to go too fast. He sees what his brother can do and wants that too. He gets so frustrated when I ask him to take it more slowly and do an easier exercise than his brother is doing :p 

• Like 4

Monday 

I got the feeling I was eating a lot, so just out of curiosity I entered what I ate in my fitness pal and came to the conclusion that I was still in a deficit 

Even tough I ate a lot and felt full. I'll take it :)

The day went by quickly and I didn't have the chance to do everything I wanted. But that's okay, tomorrow is another day. 

• Like 2

On 9/16/2018 at 4:45 PM, Terah said:

Changing my eating goal really helped me to feel better. I don't have cravings anymore and am not binging or overeating. Fasting comes naturally as I am eating when I'm hungry and stop when I had enough. Yesterday I even had a 16 hour fast, because I just wasn't that hungry and had stuff to do in the morning. 

I'm making sure I only eat minimally processed foods and I must say, it's delicious without me wanting to overeat :D

So glad to hear this :love_heart: I was a bit worried when you were eating 1200 kcal a day - it seems like you can thrive with less food, but the binges are definitely a sign that yo wonderful, active self needs more food :D

10 hours ago, Terah said:

Monday 

I got the feeling I was eating a lot, so just out of curiosity I entered what I ate in my fitness pal and came to the conclusion that I was still in a deficit 

Even tough I ate a lot and felt full. I'll take it :)

Yess! And on some days you might want to eat more, which would not be a bad thing. Would it sound OK to eat "enough" instead of "as little as possible"? Just a small, mental shift. Trying to eat as little as possible, especially without tracking, can get pretty restrictive and/or obsessive.

It sounds like you're doing OK, and I'm not telling you how to do your thing. I just wanted to remind you of the things and mental obstacles we've discussed here :) Happy to follow your new challenge!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ensi said:

I was a bit worried when you were eating 1200 kcal a day - it seems like you can thrive with less food, but the binges are definitely a sign that yo wonderful, active self needs more food

Yeah, that was a little too restrictive :p

I've learned from my mistakes (hopefully) and now know what it does to my mental health. 

15 hours ago, Ensi said:

Would it sound OK to eat "enough" instead of "as little as possible"? Just a small, mental shift. Trying to eat as little as possible, especially without tracking, can get pretty restrictive and/or obsessive.

True. I'm really trying to listen to my body again. And sometimes it tells me to stop eating when there is still food, and sometimes I need more. I really need to be mindful about not getting obsessed again. 

15 hours ago, Ensi said:

and I'm not telling you how to do your thing. I just wanted to remind you of the things and mental obstacles we've discussed here

I'm lucky to have a friend like you who cares enough to tell me this when I need to hear it <eleventhy

• Like 1

Tuesday 

Another busy day, where I used my todo list (not that it's getting much smaller though :p). 

The day ended with zumba and dancehall class, which I really enjoyed :)

Food was on point. I feel like I'm having more energy and mental clarity during the day, so I think I'm on the right track :)

• Like 4

How are things going now Terah?

On 9/12/2018 at 6:13 PM, Terah said:

Update: I don't like my first challenge draft, and I'm going to completely change it. 

All the cool kids are doing this nowadays ;) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deftona said:

How are things going now Terah?

Pretty well actually. My cold is almost gone and I have more energy. I'm still struggling to get everything done during the day, but it's getting better :)

4 hours ago, deftona said:

All the cool kids are doing this nowadays ;) 

Truth. I'm nothing if not cool :D

I resently got this watch to add to my coolness:

a00c25e7d29346364519bdf054382eb8.jpg

(yes I'm 12 years old :p ) 

• Like 3

Wednesday (last week) - Friday (this week)

So much work, so little time, and no time for NF. Sorry guys. I promise I'll catch up on all your threads as soon as I can.

Not tracking has proven to be really good for my mental health. No MFP, no fitbit and no scale. I notice some days I eat a lot (especially after a long workout the night before) and some days I eat less than my boys do :p But as long as I've got energy and no serious cravings, I'm good with that.

I've started new workout classes: urban fit and yoga. I had done the yoga class before, but they had changed the time and I haven't been going to that class for a while. The urban fit class is new. Basically we do some body weight exercises and work with kettlebells (just as weights, it's not true kettlebelling (is that a word?)). And to make it even better: those two are on the same night, so first I get my butt kicked during urban fit, and after that I can stretch it out with yoga (although the yoga is proven to be a tough workout too). 

I've done these classes twice now, and I'm already seeing gains: you can actually see my biceps now if I flex them! The bodyweight workouts I've been doing didn't get me these results, so I'll probably keep going :)

As you know I've got my own webshop where I sell handmade baby stuff, and it's going well. Which means more work. As I also recently started working at the school of my boys, watching the kids during their lunch break so the teachers can have a break as well, I don't have much time left during the day. As a result chores around the house have been suffering. But SH (super husband) noticed and came to the rescue! So last Sunday the four of us bundled our strength and cleaned the whole house top to bottom <4 Even the boys pitched in. They appear to have a talent for vacuuming :D 

• Like 5

Saturday - Monday 

A turned 8 on Sunday! 

We had his children's party on Saturday (bowling) and the grown up party on Sunday. He got lots of presents, a princess cake and was really happy with all the attention. 

Sunday evening I started feeling sick and had to run to the bathroom a couple of times. Monday I woke up with a sore throat and I can barely speak now :(

I took it easy today: lots of tea and Netflix :)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Terah said:

Saturday - Monday 

A turned 8 on Sunday! 

We had his children's party on Saturday (bowling) and the grown up party on Sunday. He got lots of presents, a princess cake and was really happy with all the attention. 

Sunday evening I started feeling sick and had to run to the bathroom a couple of times. Monday I woke up with a sore throat and I can barely speak now :(

I took it easy today: lots of tea and Netflix :)

Yay! Happy belated birthday to A! :D

Oh no, the plague season is upon us... I hope you're starting to feel better soon :love_heart: Anything special on Netflix you're watching? Is started re-watching Elementary the other day :D

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ensi said:

Yay! Happy belated birthday to A! :D

Oh no, the plague season is upon us... I hope you're starting to feel better soon :love_heart: Anything special on Netflix you're watching? Is started re-watching Elementary the other day :D

Thanks! 

I'm re-watching Teen Wolf (the series, not the movie), because I'm actually 12 years old :p

I love elementary too! 

16 hours ago, deftona said:

Happy birthday A! I hope you feel better soon Terah, you've only just had the plague! 

Thanks! Apparently it was a 24 hour thing. I woke up this morning feeling absolutely fine :)