[Rebel Pilot Gar] Someday

Rebel Pilot Gar

Someday

I completely bombed last challenge. Had a ton of personal stuff going on (mostly good! but still a huge distraction from my goals...). But one huge Win I had - staying honest and updating at the end of each week (with a bit of prodding from other rebels). But I'm still here with restructured goals. 

Godsmack maybe isn't the most.... hopeful.... of artists that I could have chosen. But this song really resonates with me (really the whole of their newest album). I acknowledge that I struggle with some mental demons, but hell if I'm gonna let them get me down and distract me from my goals. Just need to keep moving forward, maybe hold my ground when I need to. Then someday I'll look back and see how far along I've come. One step at a time. 

For once, I know my goals better than my theme. And this past summer has been filled with concerts of bands I love and who inspire me. So why not use that as a theme? As far as goals go, I've had the NF Academy for a while. Spent some time reviewing the modules during the end of last challenge to get some perspective/ideas for furthering the goals I want to address. Here is the result:

Goal 1) Alcohol Reduction

• Monday - Thursday: 1 drink/day. No liquor. 
  • Friday: 2 drinks/day. 
  • Saturday-Sunday: 3 drinks/day. 

Major change here is reduction of M-Th drink allowance from 2/day to 1/day. Taking one day at a time here. 

Strategy for success: Drink at least 400mL water, starting from when I arrive home, before any alcohol can be consumed. Herbal tea allowed for evening consumption if I need something more interesting than water to drink. (Favorite tea recommendations greatly appreciated :) )

Goal 2) Sleeeeeeeeeep

• Weeknights (Sunday-Thursday): Physically in bed by 10:30pm. Horizontal and eyes closed by 11:00pm. 
  • Weekends (Friday & Saturday): In bed by midnight. 

Goal 3) Morning Walk

• As soon as I get up, walk the dog. (give/take 10 mins for bathroom/getting dressed/starting coffee maker) --> Weekdays only
  • Track walk time & distance with Garmin: (7/7 days)
    • W1: Baseline (est. 0.5 miles)
    • W2: 0.75 miles
    • W3: 1.0 miles
    • W4: 1.0 miles
  • Journaling: 15 mins. Preferably in the morning, but that's a soft goal. Note time/distance of walk, then write about whatever (observations during walk, thoughts, etc.) - 5/7 days is goal for daily journaling. 

Other:

Exercise routine isn't a goal this time around. I still plan to workout, but I'm leaving it to my own discretion -- seeing how well that works. The goal I set last time seemed to set me back more than anything. Really my focus is on building daily good practices that can be leveled up further in the future. One step at a time. That's the motto. 

• Like 2

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

On 9/13/2018 at 4:49 AM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

(Favorite tea recommendations greatly appreciated :) )

Earl Grey and Darjeeling are my favorites.

May I ask which garmin do you have? I am searching for a running eatch but can't decide which to take.

• Like 1

Was wäre das Leben, hätten wir nicht den Mut, etwas zu riskieren. Vincent van Goch

3 hours ago, Akari said:

Earl Grey and Darjeeling are my favorites.

May I ask which garmin do you have? I am searching for a running eatch but can't decide which to take.

Ooh good choices thanks for the tea recommendation :)

Ah the Garmin watches are tough, so many options. 

I saved up and bought the Fenix 5S. I am very very happy with it, but it was an investment. And i hope it lasts more than 5 years... we'll see (i got mine this past may)

My friend has a Forerunner 235 and loves it, but at about $250USD it's still expensive. 

Good luck with your search

• Thanks 1

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

Week 0 Results

Treated this like a true week 0. I kept relatively under control with the alcohol and a decent bedtime (11-11:30pm on weeknights). Not great but not terrible either.

Exercise I only did 1 run on Saturday, but I Jedi-mind-tricked myself into 2 miles running without stopping to walk (21:19 mins), followed by a half mile cool down walk. I'll post the Garmin graphs at some point...

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 1

Walk - Off to a good start with the morning walk (0.53 miles). Though an unforeseen possible hurdle is fighting to get the lazy pup out of bed :P BF physically shoved him off the bed this morning. Tracking and journaling done.

Alcohol - 1 beer only. Work was crazy today but I did make myself down a glass of water (first time getting brain freeze from water...) before I could crack open the beer. 

Sleep - heading to bed now (22:20), and I'm pretty wiped so this should be a win. I'll edit if it's not.

Ranger Mini - None

Comments: So some of this was only accomplished because I felt terrible attempting to skip out on 1st day of a new challenge. My morning did feel more productive/less rushed this way. Hopefully that feeling continues. 

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 2

Walk: Was a struggle to get up yesterday morning, but I did it. Was another battle to lure the lazy pup out of bed. Distance = 0.54 miles,  Time = 16:56 min.

Alcohol: 1 beer. More of a mental struggle today but not horrendous.

Sleep: In bed at 22:40. Just past the goal. Garmin says I was asleep by 22:54, so by the required time even with the delay.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2018 at 3:49 AM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

One step at a time. That's the motto. 

It's a good motto. I'm catching up a little after vacation but I am following :) 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

On 9/13/2018 at 4:49 AM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

(Favorite tea recommendations greatly appreciated :) )

I am simple. I love mint and wild thyme, with or without lemon.

• Like 1

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

Found you!  (I always scan during the first day of week zero, then forget to scan again once the challenges start!)

Great plan.   It's sound and I think you're gonna nail it!

Teas...  I have a tea guy.  His name is Omed.   He's from Persia.    I get this wonderful turmeric tea from him.    Outside of that, there are a few loose leaf teas at my local grocer, one is a blueberry something and I love it.   When I am next at the store, I'll snap a pic for you!

• Like 1

Level 75.5 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

11 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

It's a good motto. I'm catching up a little after vacation but I am following :) 

Welcome! Thanks for stopping by :)

6 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

I am simple. I love mint and wild thyme, with or without lemon.

Oooh that sounds wonderful. Do you make it yourself or buy it?

5 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Found you!  (I always scan during the first day of week zero, then forget to scan again once the challenges start!)

Great plan.   It's sound and I think you're gonna nail it!

Teas...  I have a tea guy.  His name is Omed.   He's from Persia.    I get this wonderful turmeric tea from him.    Outside of that, there are a few loose leaf teas at my local grocer, one is a blueberry something and I love it.   When I am next at the store, I'll snap a pic for you!

Thanks for stopping by! Guess I have to work on my ninja skills :P

Loving the tea recs from everyone. (Keep them coming ;) ) Who else is finding it hard to believe autumn officially starts in a few days??

2B9X.gif 

• Like 2

Week 1, Day 3

Walk - 0.51 miles. Been walking the same route each day, just some days (like today) I remember a few strides in to actually start the tracking :P Pupster was easy to convince to get out of bed this morning. (3/7) Also got my 15 mins of journaling in, after skipping yesterday. (2/7)

Alcohol - 1 beer only so far. Getting progressively harder to resist. But I had sparkling water earlier which helps. Pulled another "chug 400 ml water" to get to the beer quickly. But also it's helping me drink the beer slower since I'm less thirsty. 

Sleep - TBD - will update. Today wasn't great on the "eating dinner like a normal person" front. I've got leftover pulled pork chili cooking down on the stove right now... (at 21:55)

Update - We finished eating around 22:20, so I was in bed (reading) by 22:30. By 23:00 book was away and lights were off so still made it. I do need to put more work into making sure dinner is ready earlier though, not great to go to bed just after eating.

Ranger Mini - Some calf-raise stretches. 

Comments: Mornings are tough. Past 2 days I've gotten out of bed around 6:30. Much preferred the extra leisure time of Monday when I got up at 6:00. Rushed shower and made it to work on time out of pure luck. The longer walks Weeks 2, 3 and 4 are going to be tough if I keep it up like this. I'll have to figure something out for that....

I also went for a quick run. Taking advantage of the (waning) daylight, now that the sun is setting earlier. Only 1 mile, but I was scoping out a route for the 0.75 mile dog walk so that was productive. Made ok time - 10:37 min mile. But it's better to go out and run "only 1 mile" than to sit in front of the computer or TV and do nothing. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Oooh that sounds wonderful. Do you make it yourself or buy it?

Depends on the day. I either get regular bags or use it dry cause it's easy to find. 

• Like 1

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

Week 1, Day 4

Walk - Done. 0.50 miles since I nearly forgot to start tracking again. No journaling though. 

Alcohol - I faltered with willpower and had 2 beers.

But I went 3 days straight with just 1. That's a record (my current Bullet Journal goes up to April of this year,  so it's been at least that long). Really back then 3 drinks in 1 night was normal. Baby steps and consistent focus and I'll keep getting better.

Sleep - Not only was I physically in bed by 22:30. Garmin says I fell asleep at 22:32. (Not that it's been easier to wake up in the mornings yet...)

Ranger Mini - some low squats for maybe 1 min. Really putting minimal Mini effort in so far this week. 

• Like 1

Definite progress there on the Alchohol!   Well done chica!

Also on the bed times.   Swish!  Those are so hard for me too.

• Thanks 1

Level 75.5 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Week 1, Day 5

Walk - 0.56 miles. Again was tough to get out of bed and I was very glad it was Friday. (5/7) No journaling (2/5).

Alcohol - Not so good on this one. I had 2 beers and some whisky. So 3 drinks, goal is 2. Could've been worse, and something to watch for Week 2. 

I did get some tea when I was at the store. One of the local places has a pay-by-the-ounce selection. Picked up some "Apple Pie Chai Rooibos" which sounds wonderfully seasonal and "Mango Green Rooibos". Both are herbal/caffeine-free, so shouldn't be a problem drinking late at night. Only got about 2 oz of each to try and see if I like them. 

Sleep - Garmin tells me I fell asleep by 23:35, goal for Friday and Saturdays is before midnight so we're good there. 

Ranger Mini -  none

Comments: TGIF :D 

Week 1, Day 6

Walk - Weekends mean extra time to explore. And it was beautiful out (yeah first day of autumn!) Morning walk was 0.91 miles. Then we went hiking (because what else do you do on first day of autumn?). A leisurely 2.25 miles with Mr. Four-Paw-Drive leading the way. (6/7). No journaling though... I sat down to do it, then must have gotten distracted since there's no entry for yesterday. Oops. (2/5).

Alcohol - Another day over - 3 beers + whisky. I held off until at least 4pm to have the first beer. I could have sipped more water between beers to slow it down. 

Sleep - Finished my book (First Rider's Call by Kristen Britain) around midnight. So didn't fall asleep until just after that (12:15 according to Garmin tracker). 

But in other news, I read (or re-read) all the books out so far for the Green Rider series within 30 days. I feel accomplished :P 

Ranger Mini -  none

Comments: Walking has been going really well. Sleep is getting there (I think I may have finally landed on a strategy that works, fingers crossed!). Alcohol remains the point of contention, but this is a decrease where the last challenge was a "hold the improvement" so there'll be bumps along the road. Just have to keep trying my best and it'll get better. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 10:49 PM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

I acknowledge that I struggle with some mental demons, but hell if I'm gonna let them get me down and distract me from my goals.

I know this feeling. It is only through consistently posting and staying active, both in the boards and through other mediums (Strava has really kept me accountable) that I'm staying out of my hole and into the light (does that sound too cheesy?)

You're probably not a TStM fan, but your comment above immediately brought this song to mind:

What I have always loved about your challenges is your raw honesty about your struggles. I know you feel like you've failed, but there are so many people who deny they struggle with anything or they wallow in their misery, or worse they wear it like a badge of honor. You don't fit in any of those categories (at least not based on what I have observed). Chin up, press onward. Let me know if I can help in any way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes Superhuman

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes Supernatural

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

19 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Then we went hiking (because what else do you do on first day of autumn?)

I can't think of a better thing to do :) 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

22 hours ago, Wolfen said:

What I have always loved about your challenges is your raw honesty about your struggles. I know you feel like you've failed, but there are so many people who deny they struggle with anything or they wallow in their misery, or worse they wear it like a badge of honor. You don't fit in any of those categories (at least not based on what I have observed). Chin up, press onward. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Thank you, Wolfen. This means a lot. 

A few months ago, I'd put myself firmly in the denial category. And I have loved ones who hit each of the categories, depending on the day. Now that I've started chipping away at the habit, I'm finding a positive feedback loop (weekends are so much more productive!) which is an extra guard against the occasional bout of denial ;) Posting helps too, I've noticed challenges where I check in regularly go better. 

Thirty Seconds to Mars is pretty good! I haven't heard the song you posted before, but I like This is War, Hurricane and Closer to the Edge :) I can definitely see how this song fits 

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 7

Walk - 0.56 miles (7/7). Crushed it with this goal. Other than the journaling. But I'm more worried about walking and changing up my morning routine. 

Alcohol - Went out with friends, but kept it to the goal of 3 drinks over the course of the day. :) 

Sleep - Starting to get used to this routine. Was in bed playing on my phone by 22:30, and Garmin says I was asleep by shortly after 23:00. 

Ranger Mini - Some ankle mobility work and calf stretches. 

Comments: Feeling pretty strong coming out of week 1. End of the week is an area of opportunity, but I plan to keep at it (and to keep posting. seriously that helps a ton). 

Week 1 Results:

Walk:

• Tracked daily dog walks of at least 0.5 miles. (7/7 days).
  • 15 minutes journaling daily (2/5 days)

Weekday mornings did well at walking the dog as soon as I got up. This will get more difficult as the weeks go on as sunrise gets later and later. Hopefully the good bedtime goal will start assisting as well, and that Lazy Pup gets used to being forced out of bed ;) Journaling is probably lowest priority of any of my goals, but 2/5 is the number to beat.

Alcohol:

• Mon-Thurs - 1 drink/day (3/4 days)
  • Friday - Sunday - 2 / 3 / 3 drinks (1/3 days)
  • Total = 15 drinks

It is a good start. Having to drink a glass of water after work before I can grab a beer helps a lot, so I should not relax on that rule. Made good progress for week 1, just need to keep it up. 

Sleep:

• Sun-Thurs: In bed by 22:30 (4/5 days) and eyes closed by 23:00 (5/5 days)
  • Fri & Sat: In bed, eyes closed by midnight (1/2 days)

Let's go week 2!

• Like 1

That's a solid week Rebel!     Great progress to build off of!  Well done!

Also, I never tire of your doggo walk pics.  You always have such beautiful scenery.  Thank you for sharing it!

• Like 1

Level 75.5 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Starpuck said:

That's a solid week Rebel!     Great progress to build off of!  Well done!

Also, I never tire of your doggo walk pics.  You always have such beautiful scenery.  Thank you for sharing it!

Glad you like the pics! Here's a good one from today then. Took off work to get some adulting stuff done (banking, doctors, etc) but left the afternoon free to bring the pupster to one of my favorite hiking spots. It's a bit of a drive (~1 hour each way) but I like to go around the beginning, middle and end of Autumn to see how the leaves change. (This time last year it was over 90F out).

Let's see how well panoramic pics post on the forums....

tumblr_pfkvyk8u1Y1rl6tya_1280.jpg

Who says there's no nature in New Jersey :P (just have to look a bit harder to find it)

• Like 3

Week 2, Day 1

Walk - Went on a 3 mile hike with the pup. It was a beautiful day for it.

Alcohol - 1 beer, and stopped at that. Even though my brain was trying to tell me "rules don't count on days off". Tried one of the new teas I got instead when water got boring - made it a bit weak though so more steeping and/or tea leaves next time.

Sleep - Not so great on this. Was playing a game on the computer and next thing I know it's 22:50. I fell asleep probably around 23:15. So not too bad, but I should set an alarm or something to prevent this in the future. 

Ranger Mini - Cleaned the dirty dishes that were accumulating in the sink

• Like 2

Awesome pic!   That's great!   Ya know, I think we dabbled with this idea before, but we should be nature pic posting buddies!    It's especially hard in the winter, but maybe knowing I am taking a pic for another nature lover will get me out from under the blankets.

I legit have used the 'set alarm for game cut off' times before.   It works.     Usually.

Great job on standing firm against liar brain!     Rules don't count on days off.  Hah!  What a rebel!

• Like 1

Level 75.5 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler