• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Thrillho

Thrillho Hangs Up His Gloves

For most of the last four-ish years (might actually be longer...) I've been chiefly over with the Monks.  Boxing, BJJ, MMA, most of my fitness goals had been built around combat sports. It was pretty much my favorite thing. I loved having something that allowed me to actually demonstrate whatever physical skills and abilities I had. I loved the competition, and always getting better at something that I enjoyed. A couple weeks ago, I had what will probably be my last amateur boxing match. I didn't train nearly as hard as I could have for that fight, and I know I could have done better, but the thing is... I think I'm hitting that point in my life where I enjoy watching it more than I enjoy doing it. Only took 25 years.

And now, in my advancing age (I turn 38 this year! Get off my lawn!) I really need to focus more on general mobility, bodyweight exercises, whole-body fitness, running, and maybe more recreational sporting. If my wife were here, she'd also probably point out that American Ninja Warrior is my favorite television show at this time of year, and then she'd poke me in the belly and laugh.

So! If you'll have me, this monk is going to be swapping out the brass knuckles for some nice skintight black spandex.  Sneaky sneaky. Working out quantities of each of the following, per day, per week, to be determined.

Challenge #1 - Aerial Combat

tumblr_p5k9h70XEd1x1mveyo1_500.gif

Bodyweight squats combined and jumps.

Hockey jumps (side to sides).

Jumping split squats (sort of like lunges).

My hips and knees are in terrible shape.

Challenge #2 - That Upper Body

giphy.gif

Pushups.  The bane of my existence.

Double-arm army crawls. Triceps and shoulders.

Negatives, IF I can figure out some way to hang a bar at my house.

Challenge #3 - Zero-G Combat

giphy.gif

Practicing handstands.

Against the wall, to start.

Probably for the entire challenge.

I've never managed any success with these.

THAT WILL CHANGE.

Challenge #4 - Core Meltdown

latest?cb=20180504141813

The picture is only tangentially related.

Planks, and side-plank shifts.

Maybe baseball slides, as well.

Core, abs, obliques, lower back.

Lotta repair work to do.

Bonus Challenge - Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey Flexibility

giphy.gif

Wall splits.

Pigeon stretches.

Heel to butt stretch.

I stiffen up easy, especially the hips and legs.

I'm just using this challenge to sort of get me up to the level where I can set some REAL challenges for the NEXT challenge.  I hope that's all right!

Howdy!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Thrillho said:

And now, in my advancing age (I turn 38 this year! Get off my lawn!) I really need to focus more on general mobility, bodyweight exercises, whole-body fitness, running, and maybe more recreational sporting. If my wife were here, she'd also probably point out that American Ninja Warrior is my favorite television show at this time of year, and then she'd poke me in the belly and laugh.

That is such an amazing show. A place near us opened up where you can try it... holy good heavens is it hard (but fun!). 

For hips, have you looked into the couch stretch? It's similar to pigeon but hits different areas of the hips. 

• Like 1

OHAI!!!

Nice to see you sneaking around these parts.  Obviously, this being the Assassin Guild, sneaking is explicitly encouraged :D   

You've got some great goals there, almost all of the moves you are focusing on are on my list as well.  Looking forward to see you rock this challenge :) 

• Like 1

OK, TO EXPLAIN... on somewhat last-minute notice, I got sent out of town to do some mill scanning.  I'm not entirely sure how to quantify it, but hauling 100 lbs of scanning equipment all over a working mill for three days (Top floor: 280'-3" above grade, stair access only), and working around boilers, furnaces, kilns, steam blowers, acid tanks, causticizers and delig reactors SHOULD count for a lot of leg and lower back exercising. 

Now to work on the rest of the stuff. :D

3d spatial surveying scanner.  You ever see Prometheus? The gadgets with the lasers that they use to map out the tunnels? This is the real-life equivalent.  We need to run piping and new equipment through insanely congested areas, so I'm laser-scanning the areas, getting every last wire and bolt and whatnot. It's line of sight, so I'll sometimes need to run 8 scans around one pump, just to make sure I get EVERYTHING. And it ain't light. :D And we've got SEVEN active projects in this mill right now, so they figured "Eh, we'll just get him to scan EVERYTHING, as long as he's there!"

OK, somewhat of a reboot! I have such great plans to find time for all of this, and every night it's like 9:30pm and I crawl into bed to watch an episode of Bojack with my wife and I realize... well, the whole day is gone. My free evening time is currently being spent frantically editing a story for submission to an anthology. It's already been accepted, but is well over the wordcount limit remaining in the publication. 

Tomorrow, I'm going to wake up a little bit earlier, try and power through a full workout as shown in the Original Post, and then walk my dog as a 'cooldown' before I need to start making lunches and getting kids ready for school. I've been doing better waking up early these days, so this might be where any self-improvement has to go. 

• Like 2

On 9/27/2018 at 9:12 AM, Manarelle said:

How's the reboot going? 

Long story short... chronic exhaustion, insomnia and depression now MIGHT actually have SOME link to my extremely low testosterone levels (only took nine months to convince my doctor that I wasn't lying) and nascent IBS which isn't doing wonders for my energy levels. So... my focus isn't on this challenge anymore. I'm just trying to work on my flexibility and some light jogging, but mostly dealing with food and weight issues that are currently more pressing.

Cheers to you all, and I hope you assassinate the heck out of your goals!

• Like 2