• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike Wazowski

Mike Wazowski: the SHeL thief

20 hours ago, Grumble said:

Cause they're great. 

Like seriously. Layered. Especially when you consider the words actually mean the opposite of the punned catchphrase. Don't sisu on your jokes, embrace them.

Thanks! We'll pretend it was from artful crafting and not just scattershot searching for English phrases that had a good punny insert.

52 minutes ago, Raxie said:

This is freakin' hilarious omg. XD I'm dead.

Get ready - every awful pun I think of for the rest of the challenge is getting appended to the opening list!

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Raxie said:

I AM HERE FOR THIS.  Seriously I love puns so much.

I HAVE FOUND MY TRIBE!!!

This challenge: Now with goals! (plus a third alternate title)

Sisu: (from Wikipedia, Scandi friends tell me if this is way off base) "Sisu is a grim, gritty, white-knuckle form of courage that is typically presented in situations where success is against the odds. It expresses itself in taking action against the odds and displaying courage and resoluteness in the face of adversity, in other words, deciding on a course of action and then sticking to that decision even despite repeated failures. It is in some ways similar to equanimity, with the addition of a grim kind of stress management." Basically, using this as an all-encompassing spot for doing the hard things I need to do that will lead to success, both at office work and on the dance floor:

• Arrive at the office by 7 for a 7-9 am "Deep work" block of time (headphones on, coffee in hand, at computer without email or IM's open, focused on most important data and/or business case task); carve out a 2nd time block every day and ruthlessly prioritize so I'm out by 4:30 every day (3 on Fridays); in a nutshell, get the important crap done, be liberal with saying no to unimportant crap
  • Start every dance practice and class (taking or teaching) with the right mindset - I'm going to get critiques and be asked to do hard things, and that's good; put my phone on airplane mode (still using it for music); write a quick reflection in my notebook at the end to crystallize learnings
  • Do the conditioning needed for dance: 3x / week strength work every week (core / upper body, plus strengthening weak spots in the legs); foot strengthening drills 3x / week; foot stretches every day (usually in the evening, shift to morning on weekends)
  • Finish first data science micro masters course by the end of the challenge - I found a data science online "micro masters" from MIT (5 courses total, 1 course at a time, $300 / course - feels like about the right level of commitment for what I'm looking to do in terms of professional development right now) - first course wraps up sometime in Mid-October and I'm excited!

Hygge: (paraphrased from MH's thread, again, Scandis throat punch me if I messed it up) embracing the cozy and pleasant things in every day life. Using this as a catch all for building some relaxing rituals into my llife:

• Light a candle every evening as part of daily wind-down ritual (will need to make a trip to Target for some unscented candles so I don't suffocate from burning tons of scented ones)
  • Pray / meditate / reflect by candlelight every evening - I really get clarity from slowing down and just being with my thoughts, but so rarely carve out time to do it - I want to make this a habit!
  • Read when I feel like it - trying to never force reading so it never feels like work, but I almost always enjoy it when I do crack open a book

Lagom: (according to SF) just the right amount of a thing. Using this as a category for getting the right amounts of body maintenance work, sleep, food, socialization, and distraction in my life:

• Stretch and/or self-massage every evening - body feels way better when I do this on the regular, especially with adding more direct back work into my dancing (yay, body action!)
  • 7.5+ hours of sleep every night OR find time for a nap (mainly on the weekends) - again, this seems to be the right amount of sleep for me; only challenge here will be cutting off social time after dance practice if practice itself wraps up late
  • 2,500-2,700 cals / day, 120+ g protein, 300+ g carbs - this seems to be the right amount to train like crazy while still cutting; will adjust this as needed if cut is progressing quicker than expected (I haven't been following it well, so not 100% sure where the cutting / maintenance lines are these days); I've been hitting these numbers some days and it hasn't been too bad, just need to have good snacks around for when cravings strike late in the evening
  • 2-3 social things / week; 1+ small talk with someone every day - again, aiming for just the right amount of social time as I can get burnt out by too many social occasions, but too little and I start to feel like a lonely, grumpy hermit. Small talk especially is a good thing to goal-ify for me, I genuinely enjoy feeling more connected to co-workers and dance studio acquaintances but don't always go out of my way to connect

Alternative titles considered:

- Gettin’ hygge with it

- Live and lagom

- Havin' a SHeL of a good time

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Sisu: (from Wikipedia, Scandi friends tell me if this is way off base) "Sisu is a grim, gritty, white-knuckle form of courage that is typically presented in situations where success is against the odds. It expresses itself in taking action against the odds and displaying courage and resoluteness in the face of adversity, in other words, deciding on a course of action and then sticking to that decision even despite repeated failures. It is in some ways similar to equanimity, with the addition of a grim kind of stress management." Basically, using this as an all-encompassing spot for doing the hard things I need to do that will lead to success, both at office work and on the dance floor:

I can't say that I understand sisu yet, I don't feel like I've been exposed to the concept enough here yet. But the wiki definition from my understanding makes it sound way too harsh I guess? Or too much like a movie montage. :D I believe it's more of a quieter get-on-with things attitude. And don't whinge because there are obstacles in your way, rather work around them. You do what you have to do, but not in order to achieve temporary grandiose goals, but rather as a way of life. I feel it's more pragmatic and stoic in nature rather than dark and grim like definition makes it out to be. More of "I need to go outside but it's cold, I better put on some warm clothes and get on with life" rather than "I'm going to show the world how hardcore I am by walking naked in the snow for 10 miles". Or say cold water swimming - yes it takes a bit of courage, or a bit of sisu if you will, to get into the water, but it's not about showing off how brave you are. It's also not an endurance test for how long you can stay in. It's about doing the thing that makes you feel mentally and physically better even if it's a little uncomfortable. 

At least that's my impression, I've no idea if your Scandi friends would agree!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I can't say that I understand sisu yet, I don't feel like I've been exposed to the concept enough here yet. But the wiki definition from my understanding makes it sound way too harsh I guess? Or too much like a movie montage. :D I believe it's more of a quieter get-on-with things attitude. And don't whinge because there are obstacles in your way, rather work around them. You do what you have to do, but not in order to achieve temporary grandiose goals, but rather as a way of life. I feel it's more pragmatic and stoic in nature rather than dark and grim like definition makes it out to be. More of "I need to go outside but it's cold, I better put on some warm clothes and get on with life" rather than "I'm going to show the world how hardcore I am by walking naked in the snow for 10 miles". Or say cold water swimming - yes it takes a bit of courage, or a bit of sisu if you will, to get into the water, but it's not about showing off how brave you are. It's also not an endurance test for how long you can stay in. It's about doing the thing that makes you feel mentally and physically better even if it's a little uncomfortable. 

Ooh, I like this way of framing it so much better - @scalyfreak, any chance you grew up with the concept of Sisu?

9 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

At least that's my impression, I've no idea if your Scandi friends would agree!

Haha you're one of two - so we'll roll with that definition since it's way less grim and I picture Norwegians as a bit happier than the Wikipedia definition makes things sound.

3 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Haha you're one of two - so we'll roll with that definition since it's way less grim and I picture Norwegians as a bit happier than the Wikipedia definition makes things sound.

Finns. :P While Finns and Scandis share a lot of traits and culture I think sisu is part of what makes Finns quite a different breed.

Just now, Mad Hatter said:

Finns. :P While Finns and Scandis share a lot of traits and culture I think sisu is part of what makes Finns quite a different breed.

Crap, messing things up already! Does Scandinavia not include Finland? I'm learning new things already!

Nope, but it's an easy mistake to make! It's a Nordic country, but Scandinavia technically only consists of Sweden, Norway and Denmark. :) And while Swedish is an official (though minority) language in Finland Finnish comes from a completely different linguistic family.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Get ready - every awful pun I think of for the rest of the challenge is getting appended to the opening list!

You SHeL not fail.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

Ooh, I like this way of framing it so much better - @scalyfreak, any chance you grew up with the concept of Sisu?

Nope. I'm Scandinavian.  @Mad Hatter has already cleared this up. :) 

From the various descriptions here though, sisu sounds a lot like what often is referred to as jävlar annama, in Swedish. When you do what you have to do, because you have to do it, and that's all there is to it. An aggressive and determined form of stoicism, maybe? It's hard to put into words. 

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

You SHeL not fail.

This too SHeL pass.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Nope, but it's an easy mistake to make! It's a Nordic country, but Scandinavia technically only consists of Sweden, Norway and Denmark. :) And while Swedish is an official (though minority) language in Finland Finnish comes from a completely different linguistic family.

Ah yes! In my mind, Nordic and Scandinavian were the same, clearly I need to refine my mental set and subset models there.

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

You SHeL not fail.

Haha we SHeL see!

12 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Nope. I'm Scandinavian.  @Mad Hatter has already cleared this up. :) 

Haha whoops - hopefully forgivable :)

From the various descriptions here though, sisu sounds a lot like what often is referred to as jävlar annama, in Swedish. When you do what you have to do, because you have to do it, and that's all there is to it. An aggressive and determined form of stoicism, maybe? It's hard to put into words. 

Oh hmm, didn't think about the connection to stoicism until just now, though they totally seem related!

This too SHeL pass.

Love it. And it's a great setup for another warrior favorite, poop jokes!

Quick update: through the intro of the probability course (first for the data science online course) and so far I'm really digging it. We'll see if I keep feeling that way, but currently I've got lots of back to school optimism!

...and also may have found an online master's from Georgia tech and gotten a bit distracted by the "ooh, shiny!" monster. But, one thing at a time and they ALSO have their first 3 courses available on the EdX platform so I can audit those before applying for admission (which wouldn't be til early 2019 for their Fall 2019 start anyhow).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Oh hmm, didn't think about the connection to stoicism until just now, though they totally seem related!

Stoicism is a major culture trait of Finland and the north of Sweden. It's a running joke in other parts of Sweden that Finns are silent in two languages, and northlanders never speak or show emotions. I have a theory it's a side effect common for all of cultures that develop in harsh climates where hard work against adversity is required to survive the winter. It's also has led to the north of Scandinavia being a rather collectivist, where team work is the norm, and putting the well-being of the group above promoting your own needs or talents is taken for granted, and sometimes harshly enforced as well. The needs of the many do outweigh everything else.

24 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Love it. And it's a great setup for another warrior favorite, poop jokes!

You're welcome. :P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

Stoicism is a major culture trait of Finland and the north of Sweden. It's a running joke in other parts of Sweden that Finns are silent in two languages, and northlanders never speak or show emotions. I have a theory it's a side effect common for all of cultures that develop in harsh climates where hard work against adversity is required to survive the winter. It's also has led to the north of Scandinavia being a rather collectivist, where team work is the norm, and putting the well-being of the group above promoting your own needs or talents is taken for granted, and sometimes harshly enforced as well. The needs of the many do outweigh everything else.

Oooh, I'm learning so much about Nordic cultures - I never thought about that possible drawback to the stoic approach to emotions and setbacks and the emphasis on collective success. I currently just envision the entire north of Europe as a utopia with good healthcare and plenty of snow.

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

You're welcome. :P 

:P 

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Oooh, I'm learning so much about Nordic cultures - I never thought about that possible drawback to the stoic approach to emotions and setbacks and the emphasis on collective success. I currently just envision the entire north of Europe as a utopia with good healthcare and plenty of snow.

Never show emotions. Never talk about them. Never act like they are important.

Combine that with next to no daylight in the winter, and depression and suicidal tendencies are high.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, MikeW said:

Read when I feel like it - trying to never force reading so it never feels like work, but I almost always enjoy it when I do crack open a book

Reading anything good at the moment?

11 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Combine that with next to no daylight in the winter, and depression and suicidal tendencies are high.

Oof, that is really tough. My parents (midwestern baby boomers) grew up with a similar ethos and it does not seem to do great things for mental health in their generation.

9 hours ago, Raxie said:

Reading anything good at the moment?

Yes! I’m currently reading 2 non-fictions: “The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything,” which is a primer on Jesuit spirituality (kinda sorta Catholic hippiedom) for the complete beginner. The writing is A+ for the material, and I feel like it’s really helpful in deepening my experience of my faith (may or may not be your speed at all, and no worries if not).

Second one is “Designing Your Life,” written by two Stanford design school professors who teach a course by the same name - all about applying design thinking principles to how you set up your life, which is also super cool. Highlight so far is encountering the phrase “encore career” which is a possible plan for me with dance teaching.

Speaking of dance, same-sex partner is aware that a potential competitive partnership is on the horizon and is very eager for it, which is exciting. Another benefit of the change would be having a more set practice routine, rather than the current week by week variation dictated by current partner’s work schedule (no fault of hers, it’s the nature of nursing). Certainly would make solidifying my weekly routine much easier.

On 9/15/2018 at 2:35 AM, scalyfreak said:

I have a theory it's a side effect common for all of cultures that develop in harsh climates where hard work against adversity is required to survive the winter. It's also has led to the north of Scandinavia being a rather collectivist, where team work is the norm, and putting the well-being of the group above promoting your own needs or talents is taken for granted, and sometimes harshly enforced as well. The needs of the many do outweigh everything else.

There’s definitely something to it.

On 9/15/2018 at 5:33 AM, scalyfreak said:

:D 

Looking at actual stats I think the high suicide rates are a bit exaggerated. SAD is quite real though, and it does get a bit rough before the snow comes... And you have to make sure to take your vit D.

On 9/15/2018 at 2:00 AM, scalyfreak said:

From the various descriptions here though, sisu sounds a lot like what often is referred to as jävlar annama, in Swedish.

A little bit yeah, but to me jävlar annama is not a daily thing but something you channel at need? And a bit more “fuck yeah let’s do this thing!!!” which is a little “louder” than sisu for lack of a better term.

Dunno, it’s complicated, especially for a foreigner :P Though it’s really fascinating to me how these small words have such a wealth of cultural significance behind them!

• Like 2

On 9/15/2018 at 5:10 PM, MikeW said:

Speaking of dance, same-sex partner is aware that a potential competitive partnership is on the horizon and is very eager for it, which is exciting. 

Cool!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Dunno, it’s complicated, especially for a foreigner :P Though it’s really fascinating to me how these small words have such a wealth of cultural significance behind them!

Agreed - super fascinating how so much meaning gets packed into a single word!

We'll call Sunday Day 1 for this challenge! Woke up before 5, breakfasted with the parents before an early flight, which led straight to rounds and dance practice and dance class. Then ran a buncha errands to get everything set for the coming week, did my meal prep and laundry, and went to my dance coach's house for an informal cookout. Fun to spend time with everyone in a social context, but I stayed a bit later than I probably should've (I was getting tired and ready to leave, but I'm bad at being the first to exit a social event). Oh well, still got quite a bit done and doing very well from a meal prep and general prep for the week perspective, so could be way worse.

Sisu:

• Work: 7-9: 0/0, Addtl Deep Work: 0/0, Leave by 4:30: 0/0
  • Dance: Mindset: 1/1, Reflections: 0/1
  • Feet Stretches: 0/1, Workouts: 0/3, Foot Strengthening: 0/3 
  • Data Science: Almost caught up

Hygge:

• Candles: 1/1
  • Pray / Reflect: 1/1
  • Read: 0

Lagom: 

• Stretch and/or self-massage: 0/1
  • 7.5+ hours of sleep: 0/1
  • Cal / Macro targets: 0/1
  • 2-3 social things / week: 1/2 1+ small talk with someone every day: 1/1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeW said:

Woke up before 5, breakfasted with the parents before an early flight, which led straight to rounds and dance practice and dance class. Then ran a buncha errands to get everything set for the coming week, did my meal prep and laundry, and went to my dance coach's house for an informal cookout.

You just did more in a day than I do in a week haha. :o 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

A little bit yeah, but to me jävlar annama is not a daily thing but something you channel at need? And a bit more “fuck yeah let’s do this thing!!!” which is a little “louder” than sisu for lack of a better term.

Very good point. Though to me jävlar anamma is a lot less positive and enthusiastic, and consequently, less loud as well. (Yes, I'm from Norrland. Why do you ask? :P )

2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Very good point. Though to me jävlar anamma is a lot less positive and enthusiastic, and consequently, less loud as well. (Yes, I'm from Norrland. Why do you ask? :P )

And I'm a southerner sooo... :P:D 

• Haha 1