• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jupiter

Second Challenge

Hey challengers!

So this is my second challenge here at NF. I really enjoyed the last one and didn't do too badly so I thought I'd give it another go. :) A little about me: I work a desk job with lots of stress and long hours (and I just got promoted, wheee!) and in my spare time I'm trying to be a writer. I've been sedentary and eating junk food for way too long and I'm sick of it. It's time to really start focusing on my physical and mental health. So, on to my goals:

1) Yoga twice a week (still trying to make this into a solid habit, so I'm bringing this over from my first challenge)

2) Walk my dog once a week (my dog loves to walk but it's been so hot that I haven't bothered with it. Now that's it's getting a little cooler, we can start walking again.)

3) Revise my novel at least one hour a day 6 days a week

4) Clean my house a little bit every day (I've been so bad about this lately and I want to get back to it)

5) Eat less chocolate (I eat chocolate when I'm stressed, and with a stressful job, that's a lot, so I'd like to reduce this as much as I can. So, no chocolate Monday through Thursday to start. Friday through Sunday is okay. Hopefully I don't crack under the pressure.)

Let's do this. :) 

• Like 3

So glad to have you along for another round!
What did you find that was supportive last time?
What one thing was most likely to derail you?

Looking forward to cheering you on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 9/14/2018 at 1:49 AM, Heidi said:

So glad to have you along for another round!
What did you find that was supportive last time?

Looking forward to cheering you on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thank you! Happy to be here. :) :) 

I like being here, it definitely helps to keep me motivated and accountable, and I can keep better track of my goals here compared to other methods I've tried.  And just being able to talk to like-minded people is a huge help. 

On 9/14/2018 at 1:49 AM, Heidi said:

That's a good question, LOL. Either being tired after a long work day or just not making certain things a priority. I've been bad about both. 

On 9/15/2018 at 6:08 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

I second Heidi’s amazing questions. Your goals are really reasonable and I love that you are avoiding stress eating. Do you have a substitute stress reliever in mind?

you got this!

Thank you! :)

I'm not sure yet, LOL. I was thinking about meditation, but I'm not sure I'd be able to do that at work.

First check in of the challenge:

1) Yoga: we're only on day 3 and I've already gotten in my 2 yoga sessions for the week. 

2) Walking: Haven't done this yet, but hoping for later in the week.

3) Revisions: So Monday I didn't do any revisions, though I did get some writing done on a different project, and yesterday I was exhausted, but I still managed to revise for roughly thirty minutes. Today I should get in about an hour. 

4) Cleaning: I've managed to clean a little bit every day the last three days which has to be some kind of a record LOL. 

5) Food: I managed to avoid chocolate Monday and Tuesday, but I caved today and had some. 

Overall, not a bad start. :) 

• Like 1

Good goals!

Chocolate is one of my weaknesses, not one I've been ready to tackle in a challenge just yet. Will you be giving yourself partial credit for days without chocolate, less than an hour of writing, things like that?
If you want to meditate, are you able to use earphones at work? If so, there are apps for your phone, people will just think you're listening to music.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AverageFish said:

Good goals!

Chocolate is one of my weaknesses, not one I've been ready to tackle in a challenge just yet. Will you be giving yourself partial credit for days without chocolate, less than an hour of writing, things like that?

Thanks! :) 

I suppose, LOL. Honestly, at this point, even if I only do a little bit I'm counting it as a win. I'm trying to at least stay consistent if nothing else. 

2 hours ago, AverageFish said:

If you want to meditate, are you able to use earphones at work? If so, there are apps for your phone, people will just think you're listening to music.

I'll definitely have to try that, thanks! 

End of week 1 update:

1 and 2) I wasn't able to walk my dog this week, so I did another yoga session instead. It definitely kicked my behind, but I made it through the whole thing, so I'll take it. :)

3) I worked on revisions on Wednesday and Thursday for roughly two hours each, then Friday and Saturday I didn't do any. They're training me for 2 jobs (in addition to doing my previous job) at once, so by Friday, I was utterly brain dead. I still expect to get in another hour of revisions today though. 

4) I managed to clean a little bit every day this week, even if it was only one thing, so I'll take it. 

5) So Wednesday and Thursday I had chocolate (super stressed at work right now) but I managed to avoid it on Friday. Saturday and today were my free days. So really, I went 3 of 7 days without chocolate. I call that a win. 

So, overall, not a bad first week. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2018 at 1:35 PM, AverageFish said:

I like your attitude. Progress is better than no progress.

On 9/27/2018 at 1:16 PM, fitnessgurl said:

Found you! :D Following along with your adventures.

Sounds like a great set of goals.

What is your novel about?

Yay, thanks for following! :)

It's an Urban Fantasy, about witches, shapeshifters, vampires, that sort of thing. 

• Like 1

Finally, month end madness is over! Work kicked my butt this week. We were sooooo busy, it was insane. Still, I at least managed to do a few things. 

1) and 2) Yoga -- only one session this week, but I still have one day left. Hopefully I can get it in tomorrow. No walking, either, but maybe I can squeeze that in tomorrow also. 

3) Revisions -- not too bad, I worked on them for 3 or 4 days this week, but I feel like my process is going very slowly. For every hour this week I've only gotten through 2 pages. It's a bit frustrating. 

4) Cleaning -- a bit spotty this week, I barely cleaned at all. Maybe 2 days. 

5) Food -- I avoided chocolate for 3 days this week. Considering how stressful this week has been, I'll take it.  

• Like 2

Last update for this week:

1) and 2) Yoga/Walking -- Did both today, whoo! 

3) Revisions -- Got in a couple of hours to make up for the time I lost this week. I'm on a new chapter and I feel like I'm rewriting a lot of it, so it's slow going, but at least it's going.

4) Cleaning -- I did a lot of cleaning as well, again to make up for what I wasn't able to do earlier in the week.

5) Food -- I've avoided chocolate for 4 days! I'm craving it like crazy, but hopefully that will go away soon. 

Pretty good end to the week. I might actually be able to read for a little bit. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Um, I did 2 updates this weekend? LOL.

Sorry, for some reason it didn't come through on my end until after I sent that. I reloaded and everything, but for some reason they didn't show. :P Anyway, sounds like you did good this week! Sorry the chocolate cravings are so bad; they really do get better, I promise! As always, I love your spirit of positivity :) Keep it up! Hope your Monday is going well!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 12:12 PM, Kharissandra said:

Sorry, for some reason it didn't come through on my end until after I sent that. I reloaded and everything, but for some reason they didn't show. :P Anyway, sounds like you did good this week! Sorry the chocolate cravings are so bad; they really do get better, I promise! As always, I love your spirit of positivity :) Keep it up! Hope your Monday is going well!

No worries, LOL. Thanks! I hope your week went well. :)

So, I haven't been posting as much as I would like. Things have been super busy and I've been exhausted. Anyway, here's an update for this week:

1) Yoga: did 2 sessions. I think I'm getting addicted LOL. I'm aiming for a 3rd session this weekend, but we'll see.

2) Walking: none yet, but I plan to still do it this weekend. The weather is so nice finally, I really want to get out with my dog and enjoy it. 

3) Revisions: I managed about an hour to 2 hours every day except for 2 days this week. I didn't get as much done as I wanted to, but that's always the way it is. As long as I'm making progress, I'm happy with that. 

4) Cleaning: I cleaned a little bit every day this week except for one, so not bad. 

5) Food: So far I've avoided chocolate for 3 days. I'm aiming for 4. 

I don't think I'm doing too badly for 3 weeks in. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Yay!, it sounds like you're having a wonderful challenge!

I didn't do so great yesterday though LOL. I got a new yoga DVD and it's more challenging than my other one, which is what I wanted, but it kicked my butt yesterday LOL. I barely got through the whole thing. I was also craving chocolate so bad that I gave in. Didn't do the walk either.

• Like 1

Quick update:

So far all I've done is walk my dog once this week. I've kind of done some revisions too and cleaned a little bit, and I plan to do some yoga tomorrow. But I have to admit, I'm struggling with my revisions. I'm having trouble focusing. I don't know if it's this particular chapter that's the problem, or if I need a change in scenery, or if I just need a break. 

• Like 1

HEY YOU CAN DO IT!!! It sounds like you're going through a rough patch. My understanding is that at some point a whole bunch of us reach this wall. (I've got that with push-ups right now, personally. Feel like I'm making no progress.) And from what I hear, if we keep going through the suck, it gets way better. 

So slog through the suck and keep going! And when you get through the suck, we'll be super excited to sing your tales of glory! :D

• Like 1