• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Anim07734

NFA: Dungeon Delver

With carts packed and supply lines established, it's time to head out.  The heroes are directed down the main road, toward what rumors claim is the source of the growing threat to the kingdom.

After a long day of travel, camp is made and watch is set.  The area seems peaceful enough and those not on guard duty settle in to sleep.

But as the second moon sets, a cry goes up from the perimeter.  Horses break their tethers to rush through camp, adding to the confusion.  Then a burst of light blinds sleep weary eyes.  The crash of thunder that follows wakes any heroes still sleeping.

The camp is under attack.  To arms!

Battle 2:  Kobold Raiders

koboldsboss.gif

Remember to use a new line for each entry and always select your primary target!

Methinks the hold time column isn't working, as it's in percentages, and our health didn't budge. Speaking of health, that's dangerously low, time to work on planks/handstands over the weekend...

Imalda might have been daydreaming a bit about a new battle-fruitcake recipe instead of keeping a sharp enough eye on the undergrowth nearby, and had to scramble for cover when the kobolds attacked. Thankfully, she'd had a chance to stock up while the nice people had rebuilt their warehouse, and the new pepper croissants worked perfectly. "Why do they always attack with their mouths open?" she thought. "Not that I'm complaining, because it works out well for me, but it just seems silly!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

Methinks the hold time column isn't working, as it's in percentages, and our health didn't budge. Speaking of health, that's dangerously low, time to work on planks/handstands over the weekend...

Fixed (again :playful:)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

So if a workout occurs after a battle is finished but before the next battle starts, does it accrue or or can we only count workouts that take place during an active battle?

You should always post in the active battle whenever you normally check to post your workout.  Hold times (healing) will always contribute, but the effectiveness of Reps will change over the course of a battle.

Barring unforeseeable real life events, there should never be more than 24hrs between the end of one battle and the start of the next.  And I'll try to limit that to when extra healing would be beneficial.

• Like 2

Groog woke to the sounds of battle around him.  Rubbing his eyes he looked around at the scene before him.  A couple of Kobolds already lay dead and the rest were showing injuries.  Groog looked around to find the one that seemed to be in charge and started swinging his mighty hammer.  The sound of bones crunching always made him smile.

• Like 2

Even with the kobolds defeated, it takes time for camp to settle down again.  Many of the soldiers, and a few of the heroes, have trouble getting moving once morning comes.  The commander is relentless, however.  "If we tarry here, we'll be stuck in the open come nightfall.  On your feet!"

Reluctantly, camp is packed and the caravan begins moving.  With heroes scouting ahead and covering the flanks, travel is uneventful.  Camp is made that night in a sheltered hollow and the campfire made in a pit showing evidence of regular use.  The watch is especially vigilant, but nothing disturbs the camp.

Breaking camp is easier the next morning after a good rest.  And the soldiers have a cheerier step as they set off.

Come midday, the mood has darkened with the weather, however.  Soldiers and heroes huddle under cloaks against the storm, watching their footing in the mud as much as the surrounding wood.

Suddenly an arrow streaks out to strike an unsuspecting soldier.  It's followed be a volley, raising cries of surprise and pain from the caravan.  While the uninjured begin to take stock of the situation, a group of bandits rush out of the woods and swarm a now unguarded cart.  Cutting free supplies, they prepare to fight their way out with their plunder.

Battle 3:  Bandits!

Remember to use a new line for each entry and always select your primary target!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Red lines on battle 3 don't seem to be working?

Sorry, editing error when I made the new sheet.  Should be fixed now.

• Thanks 1

Groog swung his hammer at the men who were coming to steal their things.  Groog had a special dislike of thieves, but it seemed like they were everywhere.  Once a thief had even stolen his favorite shiny rock when he was sleeping.  He got especially mad as he thought of this and put everything he had into a swing against one of the thieves which he had seen grabbing a bag of stuff from the wagon earlier.  In his anger he must have swung too hard, because the handle of his hammer splintered and the head went flying into the bushes.  Knowing the was probably going to be needing the head of his hammer if he was going to help on this trip, he wandered away from the fight in search of his weapon

I will be on holiday for the next week, so I won't be participating in much during that time.  I'll come rejoin the party when I get back

• Like 3

Blerg.  Life has been crazier than expected.  Hopefully I can actually find some time to help fight the baddies next week.  This week is not likely to happen.

• Like 1

The last bandit, down to his last few hit points, had tried hiding under a bush and crawling away. Imalda pulled out a loaf of heavy dwarf bread, grateful to get it out of her pouch (it was starting to calcify, and while dwarves might enjoy that sort of thing, it did bad things to the lighter pastries). She chucked the thing at the bandit's head, but it didn't quite finish the job. Sighing, she walked over and placed a delicate almond lace cookie in the bandit's mouth, sitting next to him and patting his head gently until he finally expired. "Poor guy, you chose the wrong career, and look where it got you," she said. "At least you had a nice last snack, but maybe next time, stick to helping people, not hurting them." She closed the bandit's eyes and wandered back to the group, oblivious to the irony of her statement. 

Entered last night's stuff, and couldn't leave the last guy hanging at 0.3%. Let's hear it for reverse math and doing the minimum reps necessary to end it (and we said we'd never use word problems outside of school). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As the raiding party fell, the bandits in the trees began to retreat, deciding the risk outweighed the prize.  With heroes ranging out into the wood to be sure, the soldiers repacked the wagon as quickly as the rain allowed.  Soon the caravan was moving again.

At camp that night, the heroes talked amongst themselves, using their recent experiences to refine individual skills.

LEVEL UP!  The party gains an extra 5000 hp and all members may select their second specialization on the Party Roster.

Luckily, the rain has stopped by morning and the roads are more passable.  The caravan makes good time and spirits rise with the drying ground.

Suddenly, an alarm goes up from the rear.  As the heroes turn to answer, they see a new threat.  Bugbears have descended on the spare horses!

Battle 4:  Bugbear Raiders!

1825048713c3cc2017551a8b472abcd2.jpg?for

• Like 1

Can the second specialization be the same as the first specialization (i.e. leveling up the same one)?

1 hour ago, Hazard said:

Can the second specialization be the same as the first specialization (i.e. leveling up the same one)?

Yes, you can use your second (and each future) selection to improve your current specialization or to diversify.  It's entirely up to you.

After a considerable amount of searching, Groog finally found the head of his hammer lying in what appeared to be some kind of animal den under a large bush.  He wouldn't have even thought to look there if if the the bush wasn't full of berries and if he hadn't been so hungry after searching for his hammer for so long.   Using an old bit of rope he carried just for this kind of emergency, Groog put his hammer back together and went off in search of the group. 

When he finally caught up to them, he saw that they were still fighting, so without even bothering to put down his bag he brought his hammer around in a wide arc, smashing it against the shoulder of one the large creatures. 

• Like 2

Groog continued to swing his hammer until the last of the robbers stopped moving.  Looking closer he was surprised to see that he didn't recognize any of the robbers that were taking their stuff when the fight started.  In fact, they didn't even look like the same kind of creature.  Confused as to how they had changed shape, why the battle had lasted so long, any why they seemed to have moved so far away from where it started, Groog could only shrug.  He was never smart enough to figure out these kind of things anyway, so he opened up his knapsack and pulled out some old cheese.  It had been a while since had eaten anything.

• Like 2

The bugbears fall under a hail of flying rocks, swinging hammers, and falling cookies, but many of the horses are already dead or injured and the rest are fleeing in panic.  It takes most of the day to recover enough of them to continue moving.  The caravan is only a short way down the road when nightfall forces them to stop again.

A sense of unease surrounds the camp and the watchmen are restless.  No one is surprised when a lumbering shape appears, soon joined by others.  Raising their clubs, the behemoths charge the camp with a raucous cry!

Battle 5:  Ogres, and Trolls, and Magi! Oh, my!

4th-edition-ogre-mage-variant.jpg

Go @WhiteGhost for delivering the final blow to the Mage. My numbers are a little low this week because I had jury duty last night, which let out too late to go to the gym, so I had to improvise at home. We don't have the right equipment or space to do a full workout, but I did my best. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Go @WhiteGhost for delivering the final blow to the Mage. My numbers are a little low this week because I had jury duty last night, which let out too late to go to the gym, so I had to improvise at home. We don't have the right equipment or space to do a full workout, but I did my best. 

Thanks.  I was out all of last week so about time I was making up for it :D I had a 2 hour workout session this morning but it wasn't really rep based so it doesn't really count toward this.  Anyway, even if I did, I doubt we would be in the clear.  Every time we mop up some monsters a new group shows up.  We haven't even made it into the dungeon yet...

• Like 1

Unfortunately, we've decided to end this mini instead of continuing into next challenge, due to a general lack of participation.  :frown-new:

We'll start a new mini on Monday. :friendly_wink:

• Sad 1

I really enjoyed this one, but it would be much more fun with more people involved.  Looking forward to the reboot. :) 

I have a question about the AMRAP limits.  I can understand why we wouldn't want to allow rep farming just for points, but would it possible to put a cap on them instead of just throwing them out?  For example, If I have an AMRAP of 50 pushups and I do 47 and hit failure, I am not putting in much less effort than someone with an AMRAP of 19 who gets in 18.  Would it be possible to allow for exercises with AMRAPs higher than 20, but put a cap on them so only 20 of them count?    I ran into this issue with AMSAP as well, because when the challenge started my tuck front lever AMSAP was about 10 seconds but by the end I was up to 32 seconds (but only when fresh).  Getting over that 30 second threshold meant that I could no longer count them, which was disappointing.

Please take this into consideration for next time.  I will go with whatever you decide, however, because I know how hard it is trying to make these fair and enjoyable across widely varying ability levels